Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book proves conclusively that the Bible is not the word of a god

(05-10-2021, 04:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: EUrGOikU4AAD7Ld.jpg]

I'd go with D. Everything is "god's will" after all.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(05-10-2021, 04:14 PM)Link Wrote: ...you begin to understand nature a bit better and the fallen world and why it is the way it is.

The world is not "fallen," Link.  There was no better version of it that we're magically going to get back if we pray the right prayers to the right god.

There are still problems, like climate change and COVID-19 and various injustices, but no gods are going to save us from them.  It's up to us.  100% up to us.
The following 4 users Like Astreja's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir, Minimalist, Szuchow

(05-10-2021, 04:14 PM)Link Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 09:39 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Suffering cannot be explained away with a benevolent, omniscient god.   No theist has ever come to terms with the suffering problem.

An Atheist professor at my university, that taught course about God and proofs for and against, who dismissed all proofs for God, still argued that the argument from evil (suffering), is a weak argument and he thinks Theists have over all defended it firm enough. What was funny, I didn't find any of the theodicies he provided as reasonable, but rather, the fallen world theory of holy books which he didn't talk about  is where I find comfort in, and that is not an originally planned world, but a fallen world due to a back up plan.

At the end, when you are patient for the sake of God, secrets of why we are in this back up plan open up and when you fight the Satanic identity and take evil seriously in your soul and outside of it, you begin to understand nature a bit better and the fallen world and why it is the way it is.

The statement it cannot is a very strong statement. A more humble statement is they haven't.  But both would require you to deeply investigate theodicies and then disprove them. If you have done that, I would like to listen to your explanation of why they are ALL not convincing.

Geologists and paleo-biologists etc etc know fairly exactly the state of life on the planet Earth since it began.
There is not a shred of evidence that there ever was a "non-fallen" world. You're making up stuff again ... a story to suit your beliefs.
Humans need explanations for things. That doesn't mean you get to make them up. You made this up.
Test

Animals Shall Be Vegetarian

Genesis 1:30
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of
the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
wherein there is life, I have givenevery green herb for meat:
and it was so.

Isaiah 11:6-7
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard
shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion
and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall
lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

Isaiah 65:25
25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion
shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the
serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my
holy mountain, saith the Lord.

What then is God waiting on? Won't God save the cute puppies, kittens and cute baby squirrels? Maybe if we all prayed real, real hard God would act? The Problem Of Animal Suffering is another theological problem that 'sophisticated' theologians struggle with explaining away.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(05-10-2021, 06:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 08:48 PM)Lion IRC Wrote: Well, I love science.  In fact #IFLS 
Science supports my theistic world view...

There's absolutely NO way that any/all accredited science supports your belief in supernatural entities
and paranormal phenomena.  A dozen living scientists may well describe themselves as theists, but
none agree with the absurd principles of supernaturalism, or so-called miracles, or intercessory prayer.

And as far as the I Fucking Love Science web site goes, it's an often doubtful source of "real"
science. As SkepChik‘s Kavin Senapathy pointed out, its headlines "can end up being more clickbait
than factual information, which in some ways defeats the purpose of having a site dedicated to science."

Teens Invent Condoms That Change Colour When They Detect STDs, a recent IFLS headline
declared. Unbelievable! As in you shouldn’t believe it, because it’s not true. These colour-changing
wonders don’t exist and won’t exist for a long time if ever. For an organisation of self-proclaimed
science lovers which reaches millions of readers, one would hope for a bit more fact-checking.  And
besides, isn’t the best time to find out someone has chlamydia long before tearing open a condom?"

Astrophysicist and science communicator Brian Koberlein has stated that, due to its misleading,
sensationalist, and click-bait articles, it is clear that IFLS is "just interested in page-views" and is guilty
of "the willful promotion of ignorance."

—Which explains exactly why someone like you—with a very limited knowledge of actual science—is
easily sucked in by bullshit dressed up as fact.   Just like the Abrahamic bible LOL.

Theists can talk all they want about what their god is and spin it in every direction they want  but it boils down to their inability to provide falsifiable evidence their god exists.  They CLAIM  a god exists but they cannot demonstrate and document with empirical evidence that their god exists and directly created the universe, or does anything for that matter.   I could claim an Invisible Magical Donut created the universe and lives outside of space and time and there is no way theists could prove me wrong because no one can falsify this assertion either.   My Invisible Magical Donut is the same as their invisible God.   It's an assertion and there's as much evidence my invisible donut exists as there is for their deity. None.  

Again, they can talk all they want and bring up Aristotle and Aquanis or anyone else they want but it's STILL not evidence of a god.  Theists don't know the difference between a claim and evidence.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Szuchow

Religion is not and cannot be supported by science, by definition.
Lion knows nothing about either.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis, Szuchow

(05-10-2021, 06:38 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Animals Shall Be Vegetarian

Genesis 1:30
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of
the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
wherein there is life, I have givenevery green herb for meat:
and it was so.

Isaiah 11:6-7
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard
shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion
and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall
lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

Isaiah 65:25
25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion
shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the
serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my
holy mountain, saith the Lord.

These verses are more about the ignorance of the authors than the inabilities of their gawd. Although, how anyone can be stupid enough to believe a carnivore can eat straw after watching a cat or dog eating grass is simply beyond me.

(05-10-2021, 06:38 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: What then is God waiting on?  Won't God save the cute puppies, kittens and cute baby squirrels?  Maybe if we all prayed real, real hard God would act?  The Problem Of Animal Suffering is another theological problem that 'sophisticated' theologians struggle with explaining away.
(my bold)

How can anyone who understands the horrific nature of the food chain possible believe in a benevolent gawd?!?

(05-10-2021, 04:14 PM)Link Wrote: Blither, blather, and bullshit...

Why have you come back?!?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ

[Image: 46b0b21af90ba83e190e4683a5055b05.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 8 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Szuchow, Inkubus, GenesisNemesis, trdsf, Cheerful Charlie, brunumb, Gwaithmir

(05-11-2021, 02:05 AM)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: 46b0b21af90ba83e190e4683a5055b05.jpg]

Or people who were born genetic disorders. Somehow part of god's "divine plan".  Consider
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(05-11-2021, 03:44 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 02:05 AM)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: 46b0b21af90ba83e190e4683a5055b05.jpg]

Or people who were born genetic disorders. Somehow part of god's "divine plan".  Consider

And the 200 million people who died from the Bubonic Plague in the 14th century.  Part of god's plan?
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir

(05-10-2021, 04:14 PM)Link Wrote: An Atheist professor at my university, that taught course about God and proofs for and against, who dismissed all proofs for God...

Oh shit... one of my favourite Islamic arsewipes has reared his ugly head again!

Mate... there are NO "proofs" of God's or any other gods' existence.

Why don't you do us all a favour and crawl back into your cave?   Thank you.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(05-11-2021, 06:28 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 04:14 PM)Link Wrote: An Atheist professor at my university, that taught course about God and proofs for and against, who dismissed all proofs for God...

Oh shit... one of my favourite Islamic arsewipes has reared his ugly head again!

Mate... there are NO "proofs" of God's or any other gods' existence.

Why don't you do us all a favour and crawl back into your cave?   Thank you.

If it wasn't for guys like that, I wouldn't be an atheist today.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Inkubus, SYZ