Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia Updates

Mafia Updates
Ha ha ha Ninjad!
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

Mafia Updates
(01-20-2019, 10:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Oh yeah, I've seen clocks like that used on mafia games before. Possibly back when TFTSNBN ran games, I can't remember.

Good idea. We should be using them here.

Are we able to change the timer when I frequently turn up late for my own flip? Lol.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Mafia Updates
Sorry for wasting everyone's time in the last game, when I knew perfectly well it would go as it always does for me. I'm simply not suited for the game as everyone else is, and being like everyone else to properly play does suit me one bit.

Mafia Updates
(02-20-2019, 10:08 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Sorry for wasting everyone's time in the last game, when I knew perfectly well it would go as it always does for me. I'm simply not suited for the game as everyone else is, and being like everyone else to properly play does suit me one bit.

Hug No worries! Why don't you head on over to the Popcorn Gallery and cast some shade on us. There's fun to be had in there too.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Phaedrus

Mafia Updates
(02-20-2019, 10:08 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Sorry for wasting everyone's time in the last game, when I knew perfectly well it would go as it always does for me. I'm simply not suited for the game as everyone else is, and being like everyone else to properly play does suit me one bit.

If it makes you feel any better: I'm not really suited to Mafia either. At least not with people I know. I'd be fine against randomers.

P.S. I'm really glad to be modding this game and it's going even better than my last one (it has no modkill and it's more newbie friendly as well).

But my other game, the role madness one, is probably going to be postponed ... perhaps indefinitely.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Phaedrus

Mafia Updates
Quick Question for everybody. What does everybody feel about the length of Day Phase? I'm fine with the current 24 hour Day Phase but I get the impression that a 48 hour Day Phase might be more useful for players who spend an unreasonable amount of time in the "real" world. Tongue 

Thots?
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Losty

Mafia Updates
(03-02-2019, 08:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: Quick Question for everybody. What does everybody feel about the length of Day Phase? I'm fine with the current 24 hour Day Phase but I get the impression that a 48 hour Day Phase might be more useful for players who spend an unreasonable amount of time in the "real" world. Tongue 

Thots?

48 hour day phases are fine with me. I think it's actually a good idea, I just hope you keep the night phases to 24 hours.  Thumbs Up

Mafia Updates
(03-02-2019, 08:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 08:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: Quick Question for everybody. What does everybody feel about the length of Day Phase? I'm fine with the current 24 hour Day Phase but I get the impression that a 48 hour Day Phase might be more useful for players who spend an unreasonable amount of time in the "real" world. Tongue 

Thots?

48 hour day phases are fine with me. I think it's actually a good idea, I just hope you keep the night phases to 24 hours.  Thumbs Up

I don't see any need to extend Night Phase. There's a lot less going on.

Mafia Updates
48 hour days and 24 hour nights works well I think as there's time for bigger arguments to develop.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Aliza

Mafia Updates
What did everyone think of the 48 hour day phase?

What about a sliding scale like 48 hours first day, 24 hours second and third days, and maybe even 12 hours thereafter?

Maybe even we can have a 12 hour minimum on day 3 and 24 hour maximum, but after 12 hours, players can mark their votes "final" so the day can end when a consensus is reached and the mod wakes up. -But at 24 hours, the maximum vote count is taken whether the votes are marked final or not. How about something like that?

Mafia Updates
48 hours seems to drag on with this group. 24 hours works better.

It's up to each mod but 24-48 hours is about right for Day 1. 24 hours for each subsequent day seems like it would work well. 12 hours might be problematic for people in different time zones or odd work schedules.

Marking votes "Final" moves the voting system from a plurality system to a hybrid majority-plurality system. That's fine as long as it's stated in the setup. The other problem you'll run into with that would be days ending and starting at potentially awkward times.

Mafia Updates
I really did not like the 48 hour days.  Just spread the content out too much.
The following 4 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Smercury44, Paleophyte, mlmooney89, LastPoet

Mafia Updates
I didn't read any of the latest mafia game or the peanut gallery.

Mafia Updates
I don't like the 48 hours myself. The longer days is why I can't play on mafiascum. 24 hours is perfect since we are playing with all time zones. If we ever got enough players to play a game for each area we could discuss shorter days otherwise it's just not fair if half the players are asleep at flips.
The following 3 users Like mlmooney89's post:
  • Aliza, Paleophyte, Joods

Mafia Updates
I'm tinkering with the background colors a little bit. It doesn't impact the ongoing game in anyway. I just need to make it more obvious to my eyes when I'm in one area or another area.
  • Aroura

Mafia Updates
Update: When you have a Mafia Player tag on your profile, and you set your account to invisible, you are invisible to all fellow players, regardless of their role on the forum. This was a weakness before because player-admin and player-mods could always see invisible users. Now all users who are invisible will be hidden to any user with a mafia player tag, even if that mafia player is a mod or an admin.

If there is a reason to change this so admin and mods can still do their jobs, then I'll inform you here before a game begins. Smile
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Aroura, emjay, pocaracas

Mafia Updates
Another update: When I reset the mafia boards to start a new game, I give myself a set of permissions that allows me to see everything in the mafia subforums. This is very handy in maintaining the board, but it's easy for me to forget that I have these permissions. Going forward, the admin user group "Bypass Mafia Blocks" now has a very dark green name.

During a game, no one should have that designation on their account, and admin playing the game should always be marked as a player on their profile.

Edited to Add: I changed the stars that show up under everyone's title to 3 lightbulbs for users on the Bypass Mafia Blocks to better distinguish this account type. Why lightbulbs? Because I couldn't find a different installed icon that made more sense.
  • pocaracas