Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia Updates

Mafia Updates
As of right now, game moderator has the ability to add and remove players from the game. Because the Mafia Game group looks exactly like the standard registered user group, I realized that the GM has no way of knowing if his or her commands to add and remove players from the group have taken effect. 

To fix this, I'll be adding a small word "mafia" to the profiles of registered users (and maybe staff, but our accounts may need more tweaking before we can make it work for us). I'd like for an even less obtrusive indicator of who is playing the game, but for at least this game, this is what I've got. 

These tags on the profile do not indicate game alignment in any way. They indicate players vs. non-players. All players in the game are the same; it's the password that gives you access to scum chat, not your user grouping.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Mathilda, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, KittyAnn

Mafia Updates
Fun! Thanks for all the hard work you're doing!
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, KittyAnn

Mafia Updates
(01-13-2019, 09:17 PM)Joods Wrote: Fun! Thanks for all the hard work you're doing!

I like the mental challenge. I like figuring things out and getting them to work the way I want.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Joods, Revenant77x, mlmooney89

Mafia Updates
So does anyone want to volunteer to write up some easy to read, not too detailed, very broad terms, setup structure, or other relevant information to use as a baseline for AD games?

I did not know what my role was, I didn't understand whether role claiming was permitted, I didn't know that scum know who each other is from the onset of the first PM. I don't know how the power roles work, and I'm sure there's a lot more out there that I have no idea about. 

Even if we're just starting out with a list of links and an explanation of why they're useful would be good.

Any takers? Volunteers?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Smercury44

Mafia Updates
I'll get to it at some point if someone else doesn't beat me to it Smile

Not today though. Spending the night with an amazing friend.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza

Mafia Updates
Regarding roles, I suggest that moderators hosting games are to link to or explain all roles that they intend to include in the game, in the games intro or sign up thread.

There are plenty of roles and roles can even be made up for the specific game being played. 

Wouldn't be viable to try and write up what "all" roles do/how they function.
The following 2 users Like Assassin's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:21 AM)Assassin Wrote: Regarding roles, I suggest that moderators hosting games are to link to or explain all roles that they intend to include in the game, in the games intro or sign up thread.

There are plenty of roles and roles can even be made up for the specific game being played. 

No, but there are some common ones. The common ones should be explained, and game mods should explain roles that they're adding per game if they're not on our list.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:21 AM)Assassin Wrote: Regarding roles, I suggest that moderators hosting games are to link to or explain all roles that they intend to include in the game, in the games intro or sign up thread.

No, but there are some common ones. The common ones should be explained, and game mods should explain roles that they're adding per game if they're not on our list.

True, I think Evie's game had a good base for the common roles. Maybe add a few more that you like.
The following 3 users Like Assassin's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
The problem with game mods listing all the roles in any given game is that for some games, this ruins the fun of the roles. Not everyone is supposed to know all of the roles in a game. So, typically, what happens in those cases, in the rules, it will state something along the lines of "this is a role madness game". When they do this, they may or may not include part of the rules being that you cannot role claim. In addition, with bastard games, your role pm may not include all that your abilities entail. The GM might intentionally leave parts of things out.

Keep in mind, it is part of the game play to figure out some of these things. To request that all game mods have to start including certain things in their rule post, takes some of the element of figuring out the game, away, making it a moot point to play the game. If anyone is really interested in a list of typical and non-typical roles, you can go here for some heavy reading.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • mlmooney89

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:33 AM)Joods Wrote: The problem with game mods listing all the roles in any given game is that for some games, this ruins the fun of the roles. Not everyone is supposed to know all of the roles in a game. So, typically, what happens in those cases, in the rules, it will state something along the lines of "this is a role madness game". When they do this, they may or may not include part of the rules being that you cannot role claim. In addition, with bastard games, your role pm may not include all that your abilities entail. The GM might intentionally leave parts of things out.

Keep in mind, it is part of the game play to figure out some of these things. To request that all game mods have to start including certain things in their rule post, takes some of the element of figuring out the game, away, making it a moot point to play the game. If anyone is really interested in a list of typical and non-typical roles, you can go here for some heavy reading.

I would feel absolutely cheated if a game mod stated that it was a standard game (however we decide 'standard' is to be defined) and then switched the rules mid-game. If shifts are possible in the game, that should be stipulated at the beginning. I have to be able to trust the moderator.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Joods, EvieTheAvocado

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:41 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:33 AM)Joods Wrote: The problem with game mods listing all the roles in any given game is that for some games, this ruins the fun of the roles. Not everyone is supposed to know all of the roles in a game. So, typically, what happens in those cases, in the rules, it will state something along the lines of "this is a role madness game". When they do this, they may or may not include part of the rules being that you cannot role claim. In addition, with bastard games, your role pm may not include all that your abilities entail. The GM might intentionally leave parts of things out.

I would feel absolutely cheated if a game mod stated that it was a standard game (however we decide 'standard' is to be defined) and then switched the rules mid-game. If shifts are possible in the game, that should be stipulated at the beginning. I have to be able to trust the moderator.

In a bastard game, the game mod normally indicates in the rules, that it's a bastard game and that your entire role will be revealed upon your flip (or the end of the game if you survive). That's just general courtesy to the people playing the game. However, understand that with that knowledge, you go into the game knowing that you won't know absolutely everything about your role while you are playing.
      Christianity: 
  • mlmooney89

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:45 AM)Joods Wrote:

In a bastard game, the game mod normally indicates in the rules, that it's a bastard game and that your entire role will be revealed upon your flip (or the end of the game if you survive). That's just general courtesy to the people playing the game. However, understand that with that knowledge, you go into the game knowing that you won't know absolutely everything about your role.

Why would you not know everything about your role?

See, this is why we need easily accessible terms that we can rely on. The player not knowing their own role seems weird. 

If you told me that I'm a vanilla townie, and that it was a "bastard" game, and then half-way through the game you switched my role on me, I'd be confused to say the least.

Mafia Updates
I avoid bastard mechanics at all costs. Also, I can't see the point of a role if it cannot be used or claimed or claimed to be used.

But I guess different people have different preferences on what they would want in a game of mafia.

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:41 AM)Aliza Wrote: I would feel absolutely cheated if a game mod stated that it was a standard game (however we decide 'standard' is to be defined) and then switched the rules mid-game. If shifts are possible in the game, that should be stipulated at the beginning. I have to be able to trust the moderator.

In a bastard game, the game mod normally indicates in the rules, that it's a bastard game and that your entire role will be revealed upon your flip (or the end of the game if you survive). That's just general courtesy to the people playing the game. However, understand that with that knowledge, you go into the game knowing that you won't know absolutely everything about your role.

See, this is why we need easily accessible terms that we can rely on. The player not knowing their own role seems weird. 

If you told me that I'm a vanilla townie, and that it was a "bastard" game, and then half-way through the game you switched my role on me, I'd be confused to say the least.

Yeah, I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this. That's like going in to take a test in history and being presented with questions from next semester's math class. Once you've gone beyond the zone of proximal development, the task is no longer challenging and instructive. Considering that it's a game, it wouldn't be fun any more either... at least not for me.

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 12:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:41 AM)Aliza Wrote: I would feel absolutely cheated if a game mod stated that it was a standard game (however we decide 'standard' is to be defined) and then switched the rules mid-game. If shifts are possible in the game, that should be stipulated at the beginning. I have to be able to trust the moderator.

No, it's not like that..... in a bastard game, you might get a role of a cop, however what you might not know is that you role calls for your cop to have amnesia. So you might end up getting false results, or investigating another player entirely, but you won't necessarily know that you have amnesia. 

It's all part of the fun of a bastard game.
      Christianity: 
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, mlmooney89

Mafia Updates
@Aroura maybe you could chime in here on the fun and mechanics of bastard games and role madness games?
      Christianity: 
  • Aliza

Mafia Updates
Aliza, maybe this would help? https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page I think this was the site that Rev linked me to way back when I was first playing Mafia. I'm looking it over again now. Watching the chocolate mafia game made me want to play again! Tongue
[Image: cyXfMMa.jpg?1]
The following 3 users Like Escape Artist's post:
  • Aliza, Revenant77x, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
Yeah I was wanting to post this page but was already dead when I realised that it wasn't available.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit...:All_Roles

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 07:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Yeah I was wanting to post this page but was already dead when I realised that it wasn't available.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit...:All_Roles

We'll have some improvements for the future games. Girl_yes2

Mafia Updates

Yes. This is why I was so stubborn about not revealing more about the roles later on in the game.

In hindsight I should have provided the definition of the roles that I used right from the beginning.

My next game will be the exact same setup—a different theme purely for flavor—except for the following changes:
  • I will give definitions for all the possible roles in the OP.
  • I will say how many power roles there are in the game per side (I'll only do this when I know how many players are in the game).
  • I will say how many scum there are in the game (again, I'll only do this when I know how many players are in the game).
  • We probably wouldn't—but if we ended up with a great many players like 12-14 then I will mention if there's more than 1 scum team. But as it's a standard game and not role madness or bastard there would only be two scum teams in a very large game.

Personally, I only like the first change but there's nothing wrong with making the setup more open like that. Although it probably does make things a little easier for Town and a little more difficult for Scum. Still, the game would still be very balanced.

I still want my game to be semi-open which is why there will be many possible roles but only a few rolled. But it will be a little more open in future.

Basically:

I think it's more fun with more mystery for experienced players but less newbie friendly and therefore a lot less fun for the newbs. And I want my next game to be more newbie friendly.

I might work on it sometime soon and add my next game to the end of the Mafia list. I really really enjoyed hosting that game and it was a lot easier than I expected! Despite the problems! I was really quite terrified and worried about messing up but if I wasn't ready then then I never would have been ... so glad I went for it and that it all worked out. And, despite being terrified, I was a lot more confident about it than in the past.

@Aliza Did you talk to Mathilda about the issues we had with scum chat for moderators?
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 3 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Mathilda, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
(01-17-2019, 05:34 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

Yes. This is why I was so stubborn about not revealing more about the roles later on in the game.

In hindsight I should have provided the definition of the roles that I used right from the beginning.

My next game will be the exact same setup—a different theme purely for flavor—except for the following changes:
  • I will give definitions for all the possible roles in the OP.
  • I will say how many power roles there are in the game per side (I'll only do this when I know how many players are in the game).
  • I will say how many scum there are in the game (again, I'll only do this when I know how many players are in the game).
  • We probably wouldn't—but if we ended up with a great many players like 12-14 then I will mention if there's more than 1 scum team. But as it's a standard game and not role madness or bastard there would only be two scum teams in a very large game.

Personally, I only like the first change but there's nothing wrong with making the setup more open like that. Although it probably does make things a little easier for Town and a little more difficult for Scum. Still, the game would still be very balanced.

I still want my game to be semi-open which is why there will be many possible roles but only a few rolled. But it will be a little more open in future.

Basically:

I think it's more fun with more mystery for experienced players but less newbie friendly and therefore a lot less fun for the newbs. And I want my next game to be more newbie friendly.

I might work on it sometime soon and add my next game to the end of the Mafia list. I really really enjoyed hosting that game and it was a lot easier than I expected! Despite the problems! I was really quite terrified and worried about messing up but if I wasn't ready then then I never would have been ... so glad I went for it and that it all worked out. And, despite being terrified, I was a lot more confident about it than in the past.

@Aliza Did you talk to Mathilda about the issues we had with scum chat for moderators?

I fixed scum chat for moderators. We're working on policies for scum chat that will at least be in effect for the next game.

And I forgot to thank you for hosting the game. You did a really good job! And I really enjoyed myself. Smile You were on the ball with picking up the shifting around of players in and out of the mafia groups. Well done!  Thumbs Up
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
Thank you so much Aliza! When it came to running a Mafia game ... I was a newbie too!

The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
I feel horrible for stealing their premade stuff... this is how AF.org shows new players the rules.
Quote:
Show ContentSpoiler:
The following 2 users Like mlmooney89's post:
  • pocaracas, EvieTheAvocado

Mafia Updates
Losty posted this great piece.
Show ContentSpoiler:
The following 3 users Like mlmooney89's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, KittyAnn, Smercury44

Mafia Updates
Oh does hide not work? Sorry for the wall texts...