Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL certificate

SSL certificate
Oh, and if this is some sort of joke - it stopped being funny about two minutes before it was conceived.

If it's for real... well, still not funny, more like, lemme find the number of the nearest psych helpline.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:45 PM)Vosur Wrote: You may not believe that I'm acting for your benefit, but that doesn't make it true. I don't need your permission to state facts. I want your PMs to be as private as anyone's. That's a fact.

If you truly intend to shut this forum down because steps aren't being taken to protect information (that wouldn't be here if you were to have say... not posted on an unsecured site), instead of just quitting the forum until your info is secure, then you are not acting for anyone's benefit other than your own, if you're the only one here who's got a problem with it.

I know I haven't written any love letters riddled with nude pics with my credit card number tattooed across my ass cheeks. Dodgy  If you do got some o those rolling around here, I don't know what to tell ya. hobo

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who takes issue with it, so there's that.

Irrelevant if the issue is ridiculous. Dodgy
But let's say it isn't.

There may be members here who would find it highly detrimental to their mental stability if AD, their one and only avenue for social interaction, were to go down. Screw them, tho, right?

And you do realize that shutting this forum down would mean that you would never be welcome here, again, right?
Take a chill pill, dude, nothing of worth is to be hacked from here on AD. Your PM's? Facepalm  Dafuq, you threaten to shut somebody's website down, ur sumthin? Dodgy
The following 4 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Aliza, Joods, jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
Oh goody, some more experts come to teach us how to do stuff.

[Image: MP_teacherface.gif?resize=477%2C552&ssl=1]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Mathilda, Deesse23, TheGulegon

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:14 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:13 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: If you truly intend to shut this forum down because steps aren't being taken to protect information (that wouldn't be here if you were to have say... not posted on an unsecured site), instead of just quitting the forum until your info is secure, then you are not acting for anyone's benefit other than your own, if you're the only one here who's got a problem with it.

I know I haven't written any love letters riddled with nude pics with my credit card number tattooed across my ass cheeks. Dodgy  If you do got some o those rolling around here, I don't know what to tell ya. hobo

But can't you HEAR the outcry of all the people who are worried about their beautiful little PMs? Can't YOU HEAR the outcry Guley?!?!? LISTEN, LISTEN. THIS is who he is protecting. THIS IS WHO. HEAR THE SCREAMS OF THE OUTRAGED PEOPLE HAVING THEIR PRIVACY EXPOSED:

[Image: DL_508Tumbleweed_TUMBLEWEED_ROLLS_NEXT_TO_FREEWAY.gif]

... okay we got nothing. Let's try listening again tomorrow.

Mock me all you want, I don't think I'm crazy for caring about online privacy. I realize that most people don't, but they should. That's what I believe anyway.

If you do then why on earth would you post sensitive information on this or frankly any public forum?  I use a burner password that shares nothing with the password protection on the email account I have linked to this place.  If a hacker did get access to this forum they would find less here than Facebook would give them on a cursory search.  If you are housing all your sensitive info on this site I think you should give some refunds for that web security you have been offering.
The following 2 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:20 AM)Vera Wrote: Oh, and if this is some sort of joke - it stopped being funny about two minutes before it was conceived.

If it's for real... well, still not funny, more like, lemme find number for the nearest psych helpline.

Do you enjoy making jokes like that about people who are dealing with serious mental health issues? What else do you do in your spare time, kick puppies and kittens for fun? Consider

SSL certificate
But still, there's nothing to be suspicious about because no one here actually has any data that's worth selling.

I'm not fussed about privacy on an internet forum. As far as I'm concerned there is no privacy on an internet forum.

What I'm really concerned about is the DDoS attacks. If that can be stopped then it should be.

But yeah, don't give a server to anyone untrustworthy, obviously.

I'm sure Tibs could help ... but I doubt he'd want to, lol. Although he is probably on quite good terms with a lot of the Staff here ... as I can see that (at least Aliza) has been trying to keep the peace with AF.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:21 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: If you truly intend to shut this forum down because steps aren't being taken to protect information (that wouldn't be here if you were to have say... not posted on an unsecured site), instead of just quitting the forum until your info is secure, then you are not acting for anyone's benefit other than your own, if you're the only one here who's got a problem with it.

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who takes issue with it, so there's that.

But let's say it isn't.

There may be members here who would find it highly detrimental to their mental stability if AD, their one and only avenue for social interaction, were to go down. Screw them, tho, right?

And you do realize that shutting this forum down would mean that you would never be welcome here, again, right?
Take a chill pill, dude, nothing of worth is to be hacked from here on AD. Your PM's? Facepalm  Dafuq, you threaten to shut somebody's website down, ur sumthin? Dodgy

And what about the people who would find it highly detrimental to their mental stability if their private messages, especially those dealing with very private and intimate issues such as their mental health, were to be leaked online by some hacker? Fuck them, right? Deadpan Coffee Drinker

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:22 AM)Vera Wrote: Oh goody, some more experts come to teach us how to do stuff.

[Image: MP_teacherface.gif?resize=477%2C552&ssl=1]

Just for your information, I am a part of this “us” you speak of whether you like it or not. This is my forum as much as it is yours. I have every right to be here. 

But, I didn’t come to teach anyone anything. I’m curious if there’s a reason because as far as I know there could be a good reason. So I asked.
Thanks to Free Thought for my lovely avatar!
The following 4 users Like Losty's post:
  • Vosur, Smercury44, EvieTheAvocado, LadyforCamus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:20 AM)Losty Wrote: I don’t think there’s any need for trying to shut the forum down, but I am curious if there’s an actual reason for not securing the site. As far as I know it’s fairly easy to do.

Here is the thing Vosur is not wrong persay in wanting this he is just going about it in a way that is alienating a lot of people.  So @Aliza is there a reason for not doing so? and if not do you have a rough timeframe on changing that?
The following 8 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Vosur, Losty, EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, Joods, Tartarus Sauce, jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:07 AM)Vosur Wrote: I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who takes issue with it, so there's that.

But let's say it isn't.

And what about the people who would find it highly detrimental to their mental stability if their private messages, especially those dealing with very private and intimate issues such as their mental health, were to be leaked online by some hacker? Fuck them, right? Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Well, if I'm to act like you, yes. Fuck everybody but me, that's why I'll nuke the world and every living thing in it shut the whole forum down for every other member too, cuz fuck everybody but me.

Except no, I'm not that big a complete piece of twinkle toed dog shit. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Vosur, Deesse23

SSL certificate
People are starting to ask questions. Good. My efforts today weren't in vain, then.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:28 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:21 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: Irrelevant if the issue is ridiculous. Dodgy
But let's say it isn't.

Well, if I'm to act like you, yes. Fuck everybody but me, that's why I'll nuke the world and every living thing in it shut the whole forum down for every other member too, cuz fuck everybody but me.

Except no, I'm not that big a complete piece of twinkle toed dog shit. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I love you too, Guley. Chuckle

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:20 AM)Losty Wrote: I don’t think there’s any need for trying to shut the forum down, but I am curious if there’s an actual reason for not securing the site. As far as I know it’s fairly easy to do.

There is a reason, but it's not appropriate for me to discuss publicly.

The SSL is and always has been on our list of things to do. One thing leads to another and other projects come up and take more urgent priority. Today, for example, we're dealing with Vosur and his legal filings with the EU. 

Yestersay it was something else.

It's on the list, but we choose to prioritize other things first. The SSL certification is not the thing that keeps hackers out. It's the thing that demonstrates that we are who we say we are. It also encrypts the traffic as it comes through so a third party (possibly a hacker) cannot inspect it. It prevents man-in-middle attacks. 

It's like hiring a security guard at the bank. Even if the guard is on duty, the bank can still get robbed. We have other safeguards in place to prevent a robbery, but hiring a security guard is on our list.
The following 8 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Losty, TheGulegon, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Tartarus Sauce, Mathilda, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:36 AM)Aliza Wrote:

The SSL is and always has been on our list of things to do. One thing leads to another and other projects come up and take more urgent priority. Today, for example, we're dealing with Vosur and his legal filings with the EU. 

It's on the list, but we choose to prioritize other things first. The SSL certification is not the thing that keeps hackers out. It's the thing that demonstrates that we are who we say we are. It also encrypts the traffic as it comes through so a third party (possibly a hacker) cannot inspect it. It prevents man-in-middle attacks. 

It's like hiring a security guard at the bank. Even if the guard is on duty, the bank can still get robbed. We have other safeguards in place to prevent a robbery, but hiring a security guard is on our list.

Let it be known that it would take five (5) minutes to implement SSL on this site. Keep that in mind when you read Aliza's bullshit excuses. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:11 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote: You guys need work on your analogies. I decided to be the concerned citizen who reports a criminal to the police because he doesn't feel safe in his neighborhood while he's on the prowl.

If that's a good analogy ... whose the criminal?

The admins.

Okay just stop. I have watched you threaten the admins for pages now and as soon as they tell you this is their back yard, you act like they have no right to protect their turf against the school yard bully (you). If you are that dissatisfied with how they are running things, LEAVE and go start your own forum. You've brought nothing but negativity to the last several pages of this thread and it's time to grow up and knock it off. Your thinly veiled threats are becoming tiresome. 

Honestly, they should just ban you already but they are too nice for that.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Vera, Deesse23

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:41 AM)Joods Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:11 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: If that's a good analogy ... whose the criminal?

The admins.

Okay just stop. I have watched you threaten the admins for pages now and as soon as they tell you this is their back yard, you act like they have no right to protect their turf against the school yard bully (you). If you are that dissatisfied with how they are running things, LEAVE and go start your own forum. You've brought nothing but negativity to the last several pages of this thread and it's time to grow up and knock it off. Your thinly veiled threats are becoming tiresome. 

If you don't like my posts, why don't you leave? Consider

SSL certificate

Makes sense. I don’t have any personal information on this site. Not even in PMs. So I’m not highly concerned but I do think cloudfare or something to prevent ddos attacks is in order at the very least. 
I also know what it’s like to be bogged down by a lot of stuff on your list of things to do. Good luck!

ETA. Oh and thanks for the response Smile
Thanks to Free Thought for my lovely avatar!

SSL certificate
U
(01-24-2019, 12:07 AM)Vosur Wrote: I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who takes issue with it, so there's that.

But let's say it isn't.

Leaked online where?  How would people know where to look for the leaks?  The New York Times isn’t going to be running them.  Oh no, member x says if It was legal, I’d marry my parrot...full story on the news at 11?
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:38 AM)Vosur Wrote:

Let it be known that it would take five (5) minutes to implement SSL on this site. Keep that in mind when you read Aliza's bullshit excuses. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

She's not you though, also I heard she was in high school and writing exams or something.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:44 AM)Assassin Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:36 AM)Aliza Wrote: There is a reason, but it's not appropriate for me to discuss publicly.

She's not you though, also I heard she was in high school and writing exams or something.

It doesn't matter who does it, it takes five minutes because all you have to do to implement Cloudflare on your site is change the nameservers of your domain from the registrar's ones to the ones from Cloudflare. A child could do it in five minutes. How much time do you figure Aliza has spent today making posts in this thread? Do you think it was more than five minutes? If so, she had plenty of time to implement Cloudflare and SSL on this site in one fell swoop.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:36 AM)Aliza Wrote: There is a reason, but it's not appropriate for me to discuss publicly.

Wait... confused. Just a friendly heads up cause I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, but I'm not in high school.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Assassin, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Tartarus Sauce, TheGentlemanBastard

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:43 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:41 AM)Joods Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:12 AM)Vosur Wrote: The admins.

If you don't like my posts, why don't you leave? Consider

Because I'm not the one being a pushy, annoying twat about this. That's why.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 3 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:38 AM)Vosur Wrote: Let it be known that it would take five (5) minutes to implement SSL on this site. Keep that in mind when you read Aliza's bullshit excuses. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

It doesn't matter who does it, it takes five minutes because all you have to do to implement Cloudflare on your site is change the nameservers of your domain from the registrar's ones to the ones from Cloudflare. A child could do it in five minutes. How much time do you figure Aliza has spent today making posts in this thread? Do you think it was more than five minutes? If so, she had plenty of time to implement Cloudflare and SSL on this site in one fell swoop.

Maybe she's on mobile? Idk. Anyway that isnt the point. Just relax and wait for it to be done. Your approach was wrong. I'm sure it'll be implemented in the future and you can then chill, or come up with a different scheme to take over the world.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:58 AM)Assassin Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:44 AM)Assassin Wrote: She's not you though, also I heard she was in high school and writing exams or something.

Maybe she's on mobile? Idk. Anyway that isnt the point. Just relax and wait for it to be done. Your approach was wrong. I'm sure it'll be implemented in the future and you can then chill, or come up with a different scheme to take over the world.

Honestly, don't you feel at least a little bit insulted? Something like four months have passed since Aliza was made aware of the need to implement SSL on this site and in those four months, she has not deemed the safety of the members of this forum important enough to spend five (5) minutes of her time on setting up SSL for the site. It really goes to show which one of the two of us cares more about the people on this site. She was and continues to be unwilling to spend five (5) minutes on her time on securing the site, meanwhile I was willing to spend days, if need be, on properly securing this forum, was willing to host it on my own server at my own expense and even willing to pay for Cloudflare's Pro tier out-of-pocket.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:38 AM)Vosur Wrote: Let it be known that it would take five (5) minutes to implement SSL on this site. Keep that in mind when you read Aliza's bullshit excuses. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

But you aren't on the staff and frankly, you repeatedly badgering them has probably pushed them further away than if you would have just left them alone to come around in their own time. Not everyone has to do your bidding or ask "how high?" when you say jump. This isn't your website, you aren't the owner. They don't have to answer to you.
      Christianity: 
The following 5 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, TheGentlemanBastard, Vera, Mathilda