Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL certificate

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:33 PM)Aliza Wrote: If I go to my friend's house and threaten to have it condemned on the grounds that the house is made of wood instead of cinderblock, then I might well find myself uninvited to my friend's home.

Something tells me that you're the kind of person who would fire a construction worker for reporting you, his boss, to OSHA because you don't take the health of your workers seriously and require them to work without safety equipment.

Or maybe you're the kind of person who would kick someone out of the Church for exposing the pedophiles among the priests. Chuckle

(1) What personal data is supposedly at risk? (We now know that even the Admins don't have access to our PMs).

(2) What law is supposedly being broken? (Aliza has said that what they're doing isn't actually illegal).
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: I would consider firing the construction worker if he threatened me. Yes. If he ran through the construction zone with spray paint and mucked the whole place up... we're gonna have a problem.

Bingo!

(01-23-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: Reporting to the proper authorities I have no problem with. I'm not afraid of being held accountable to impartial government officials who are trained to evaluate the worthiness of our forum. I'll comply with their requirements, as I've stated.

In that case, I don't understand what it is you take issue with. You claim to have no problem with being reported to the proper authorities, yet you threaten to ban me from my online home for doing exactly that. That is what the so-called legal threats are. The threat to report you to the proper authorities.

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:33 PM)Aliza Wrote: If I go to my friend's house and threaten to have it condemned on the grounds that the house is made of wood instead of cinderblock, then I might well find myself uninvited to my friend's home.

Something tells me that you're the kind of person who would fire a construction worker for reporting you, his boss, to OSHA because you don't take the health of your workers seriously and require them to work without safety equipment.

Or maybe you're the kind of person who would kick someone out of the Church for exposing the pedophiles among the priests. Chuckle

Hmmm, you're not acting normal today. First you go after someone you heard did something wrong, now you go after the person who has worked her fingers wound to bring you this place, while in school full time and taking exams.

Why are you hounding people today? Maybe a bit of introspection would be good? Step away and go for a nice walk or something?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Tres Leches, Joods, Vera, Tartarus Sauce, TheGentlemanBastard, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
On a completely side note, I knew that AF staff and admins have access to PMs but I didn't know staff actually goes in and reads them for what sounds like opaque reasons. That is disgustingly creepy.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 6 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Vosur, Vera, EvieTheAvocado, Joods, TheGentlemanBastard, Mathilda

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:48 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: (1) What personal data is supposedly at risk? (We now know that even the Admins don't have access to our PMs).

Yes, they do. Read the posts again. They can read our PMs if they want to. So can any attacker who manages to get access to one of the admin accounts.

(01-23-2019, 11:48 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: (2) What law is supposedly being broken? (Aliza has said that what they're doing isn't actually illegal).

The forum is currently in violation of the GDPR regulations.

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:48 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: (1) What personal data is supposedly at risk? (We now know that even the Admins don't have access to our PMs).

Yes, they do. Read the posts again. They can read our PMs if they want to. So can any attacker who manages to get access to one of the admin accounts.

(01-23-2019, 11:48 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: (2) What law is supposedly being broken? (Aliza has said that what they're doing isn't actually illegal).

How often do I have to say that there is no way to viewing PMs installed? You think a hacker is going to install it so he can read about people's private stuff?

The forum is in violation of nothing. And I guess since you have decided to be the judge and jury here, we will soon get a letter telling us so.
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • julep, EvieTheAvocado, Vera, Joods, Tartarus Sauce, TheGentlemanBastard, LadyforCamus

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote: How often do I have to say that there is no way to viewing PMs installed? You think a hacker is going to install it so he can read about people's private stuff?

You think they wouldn't? Consider

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: I would consider firing the construction worker if he threatened me. Yes. If he ran through the construction zone with spray paint and mucked the whole place up... we're gonna have a problem.

Bingo!

(01-23-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: Reporting to the proper authorities I have no problem with. I'm not afraid of being held accountable to impartial government officials who are trained to evaluate the worthiness of our forum. I'll comply with their requirements, as I've stated.

In that case I don't understand what you take issue with. You claim that you have no problem with reporting to the proper authorities, yet you threaten to ban me from my online home for doing exactly that. That is what the so-called legal threats are. The threat to report you to the proper authorities.

If you were interested in implementing real change, you'd have reported us and been quiet about it. 

Sugar plum, you're in my home now and you've got a can of spray paint in your hands and everyone can see it. I've got news for all of you... the second floor has already been covered in graffiti. 

If I was in your shoes, I'd be considering that now might be a good time to tip my hat and excuse myself for a little while.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Vera, Joods, Tartarus Sauce, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote: If you were interested in implementing real change, you'd have reported us and been quiet about it.

If you were interested in implementing real change, you'd have contacted me months ago and secured the site in a single afternoon.

(01-23-2019, 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote: Sugar plum, you're in my home now and you've got a can of spray paint in your hands and everyone can see it. I've got news for all of you... the second floor has already been covered in graffiti. 

If I was in your shoes, I'd be considering that now might be a good time to tip my hat and excuse myself for a little while.

...or else? Consider

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote: The forum is in violation of nothing.

Yes, it is. You can't make facts go away by saying "nuh uh."

(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote: And I guess since you have decided to be the judge and jury here, we will soon get a letter telling us so.

You guys need work on your analogies. I decided to be the concerned citizen who reports a criminal to the police because he doesn't feel safe in his neighborhood while he's on the prowl.

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote: How often do I have to say that there is no way to viewing PMs installed? You think a hacker is going to install it so he can read about people's private stuff?

You think they wouldn't? Consider

Yes, no one would go through the trouble of hacking a forum and the layers of admin codes (extremely difficult if not impossible to hack random codes of that length) to go out and find a patch to install in said forum to read about a stranger's puppy peeing on the rug. If they did they would be insane. Not that there are no insane people online, but I doubt they are interested in your private issues.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado, Vera

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:45 PM)Vosur Wrote: You may not believe that I'm acting for your benefit, but that doesn't make it true. I don't need your permission to state facts. I want your PMs to be as private as anyone's. That's a fact.

If you truly intend to shut this forum down because steps aren't being taken to protect information (that wouldn't be here if you were to have say... not posted on an unsecured site), instead of just quitting the forum until your info is secure, then you are not acting for anyone's benefit other than your own, if you're the only one here who's got a problem with it.

I know I haven't written any love letters riddled with nude pics with my credit card number tattooed across my ass cheeks. Dodgy  If you do got some o those rolling around here, I don't know what to tell ya. hobo
The following 8 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Aliza, julep, EvieTheAvocado, Vera, Revenant77x, Joods, Tartarus Sauce, Escape Artist

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:03 AM)Dom Wrote: Yes, no one would go through the trouble of hacking a forum and the layers of admin codes (extremely difficult if not impossible to hack random codes of that length) to go out and find a patch to install in said forum to read about a stranger's puppy peeing on the rug. If they did they would be insane. Not that there are no insane people online, but I doubt they are interested in your private issues.

There is precedent, Dom, and lots of it. Do I need to post the numerous instances in which an online forum was hacked and had its private messages leaked online?

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:

(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote: And I guess since you have decided to be the judge and jury here, we will soon get a letter telling us so.

You guys need work on your analogies. I decided to be the concerned citizen who reports a criminal to the police because he doesn't feel safe in his neighborhood while he's on the prowl.

It's not your neighborhood, it's our backyard and you are a guest here, a voluntary guest at that.
The following 5 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado, Vera, Tartarus Sauce, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:45 PM)Vosur Wrote: You may not believe that I'm acting for your benefit, but that doesn't make it true. I don't need your permission to state facts. I want your PMs to be as private as anyone's. That's a fact.

If you truly intend to shut this forum down because steps aren't being taken to protect information (that wouldn't be here if you were to have say... not posted on an unsecured site), instead of just quitting the forum until your info is secure, then you are not acting for anyone's benefit other than your own, if you're the only one here who's got a problem with it.

I know I haven't written any love letters riddled with nude pics with my credit card number tattooed across my ass cheeks. Dodgy  If you do got some o those rolling around here, I don't know what to tell ya. hobo

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who takes issue with it, so there's that.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:05 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:

It's not your neighborhood, it's our backyard and you are a guest here, a voluntary guest at that.

Is that supposed to be another thinly veiled threat?

SSL certificate
(01-23-2019, 11:56 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 11:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:

How often do I have to say that there is no way to viewing PMs installed? You think a hacker is going to install it so he can read about people's private stuff?

The forum is in violation of nothing. And I guess since you have decided to be the judge and jury here, we will soon get a letter telling us so.

@Vosur

As someone who literally knows nothing about this sort of thing ... I've got mixed answers from different people. So I hope you'll understand that I don't believe that they're in violation of anything. I remain ever the skeptic.

But if you really do take legal action and nothing comes of it ... then I guess you were wrong, huh?
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote: You guys need work on your analogies. I decided to be the concerned citizen who reports a criminal to the police because he doesn't feel safe in his neighborhood while he's on the prowl.

If that's a good analogy ... whose the criminal?

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:11 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote: You guys need work on your analogies. I decided to be the concerned citizen who reports a criminal to the police because he doesn't feel safe in his neighborhood while he's on the prowl.

The admins.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:05 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:02 AM)Vosur Wrote: Yes, it is. You can't make facts go away by saying "nuh uh."

Is that supposed to be another thinly veiled threat?

I see no veil here. I see no veil in your threats either. I am out now for the day. Y'all have yourselves a nice evening now.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, LadyforCamus

SSL certificate

But can't you HEAR the outcry of all the people who are worried about their beautiful little PMs? Can't YOU HEAR the outcry Guley?!?!? LISTEN, LISTEN. THIS is who he is protecting. THIS IS WHO. HEAR THE SCREAMS OF THE OUTRAGED PEOPLE HAVING THEIR PRIVACY EXPOSED:

[Image: DL_508Tumbleweed_TUMBLEWEED_ROLLS_NEXT_TO_FREEWAY.gif]

... okay we got nothing. Let's try listening again tomorrow.

The following 5 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, TheGulegon, LadyforCamus, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:13 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

But can't you HEAR the outcry of all the people who are worried about their beautiful little PMs? Can't YOU HEAR the outcry Guley?!?!? LISTEN, LISTEN. THIS is who he is protecting. THIS IS WHO. HEAR THE SCREAMS OF THE OUTRAGED PEOPLE HAVING THEIR PRIVACY EXPOSED:

[Image: DL_508Tumbleweed_TUMBLEWEED_ROLLS_NEXT_TO_FREEWAY.gif]

... okay we got nothing. Let's try listening again tomorrow.

Mock me all you want, I don't think I'm crazy for caring about online privacy. I realize that most people don't, but they should. That's what I believe anyway.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:11 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

The admins.

So your analogy was missing a plural! Aggravated

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 12:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: I know I haven't written any love letters riddled with nude pics with my credit card number tattooed across my ass cheeks.

Then who on earth was the guy in your latest PM?! hobo
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

SSL certificate
I don’t think there’s any need for trying to shut the forum down, but I am curious if there’s an actual reason for not securing the site. As far as I know it’s fairly easy to do.
Thanks to Free Thought for my lovely avatar!
The following 4 users Like Losty's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Revenant77x, Vosur, Thumpalumpacus