Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daylight Saving Time

Daylight Saving Time
I LOVE it! I know some people don't. It means changing the clocks and all twice a year. And some people hate losing that 1 hour of sleep the 1st day. Big deal, go to bed an hour earlier and you won't miss it. Big Grin

But it sure works for me! I don't sleep regular hours, so the change is pretty much irrelevant. But I'm a night-owl because of TV-watching choices and computer habits. In exchange for one day of 1 less hour of sleep, I get an extra hour of daylight every single day for 7 months! I sure can't object to that. And I wish it was permanent!

I deal with the change easily. I leave the clocks on standard time the first night. So I get up after a normal night's sleep. THEN, I change the clocks. Well, sometimes I get up at 8 am and sometimes I get up at Noon, so why should I care? LOL!

So I get up at 10am and suddenly it's 11am. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Why do you love it or hate it? And if the clocks had to be unchanging, which would you prefer, and why?
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Daylight Saving Time
I’m no a fan.

I’d be happy just shifting a half hour and leaving it.

Daylight Saving Time
Daylight savings time sucks.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Daylight Saving Time
I'm retired and I sleep irregular hours. Daylight Savings Time is irrelevant to me. I also live in a remote, rural area where power outages are common. I'm used to resetting my clocks now and then.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 11:33 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm retired and I sleep irregular hours. Daylight Savings Time is irrelevant to me. I also live in a remote, rural area where power outages are common. I'm used to resetting my clocks now and then.

I have a half dozen battery-powered clocks.  It used to be quite an effort to change them all from DST to SDT.  But I replaced them with "atomic clocks" (radio-signal set). They reset themselves every midnight.  So I just ignore them for the 1st DST day.  I can live with that.  My radio/alarm clock has a DST button, so that's easy.  LOL!

I do have to change the wristwatch, oven, M/W and car clocks though.  Most of those are easy enough.  The wristwatch takes some work (4 buttons and I always have to read the instructions).   And I need to pull out the instructions because it apparently I have an alarm set for midnight.  But that's not much to get the extra hour of daylight (for me) every day for 7 months!  I would like it to stay DST forever.  

The other thing is that I get to reveal the BIG blue digital display clock on the wall again.  The DST/SDT button doesn't work anymore, so I have to cover it 5 months of SDT.   Chuckle

Daylight Saving Time
I haven't changed my car clock in eons. I do keep a battery driven clock in every room, because power outages happen more frequently here than daylight savings times. The whole thing is just annoying, especially in the kitchen, where just about every appliance has a clock and all have a different way to set it. UGH! Stop it already!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
Well, at least the dogs love the time change. They never can wait for the eating and play times, and today breakfast was an hour early. They were delighted!
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, at least the dogs love the time change. They never can wait for the eating and play times, and today breakfast was an hour early. They were delighted!

In my old working days, when the cats were on a fairly routine food schedule, (fed before I left, fed when I returned, and fed just before I went to bed) the time change bothered them the 1st day. After that, it was their new schedule and they were fine with it. So am I.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 01:18 PM)Dom Wrote: I haven't changed my car clock in eons. I do keep a battery driven clock in every room, because power outages happen more frequently here than daylight savings times. The whole thing is just annoying, especially in the kitchen, where just about every appliance has a clock and all have a different way to set it. UGH! Stop it already!

I'm kind of a clock perfectionist.  And when you have many, it it seems vaguely annoying when they don't agree.  And I tend to keep my wristwatch and car clock a minute ahead (helps with appointments).  

I have gotten really good at setting all my appliance clocks.  LOL!

I read once that a person with 1 clock always knows what time it is but a person with 2 is never sure. ;

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:18 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, at least the dogs love the time change. They never can wait for the eating and play times, and today breakfast was an hour early. They were delighted!

In my old working days, when the cats were on a fairly routine food schedule, (fed before I left, fed when I returned, and fed just before I went to bed) the time change bothered them the 1st day.  After that, it was their new schedule and they were fine with it.  So am I.

Well, the dogs will be a mess when it all happens an hour late again. And round and round it goes.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:27 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 01:18 PM)Dom Wrote: I haven't changed my car clock in eons. I do keep a battery driven clock in every room, because power outages happen more frequently here than daylight savings times. The whole thing is just annoying, especially in the kitchen, where just about every appliance has a clock and all have a different way to set it. UGH! Stop it already!

I'm kind of a clock perfectionist.  And when you have many, it it seems vaguely annoying when they don't agree.  And I tend to keep my wristwatch and car clock a minute ahead (helps with appointments).  

I read once that a person with 1 clock always knows what time it is but a person with 2 is never sure.  ;

I once knew a guy who collected Coocoo clocks. It was crazy when they all chimed at the same time, and some were always late. Would have driven me crazy.
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:54 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:18 PM)Cavebear Wrote: In my old working days, when the cats were on a fairly routine food schedule, (fed before I left, fed when I returned, and fed just before I went to bed) the time change bothered them the 1st day.  After that, it was their new schedule and they were fine with it.  So am I.

Well, the dogs will be a mess when it all happens an hour late again. And round and round it goes.

Not to get into a cats vs dogs thing, but I understand dogs (former wolves) value routines more than cats do. They decide when to hunt. Cats are more opportunistic and get food when they can.

I read once that cats basically need 6 mice a day and it is "catch as catch can". Dogs down a moose and eat gradually for a week. So I tend to feed my cats about "a mouse" of canned food 6 times a day. I don't know much about dogs, but there are darn few mooses around here. LOL!

And they don't much care when they are fed, so long as they get their 6 mousies per day. Or 12 every couple days. Their hunting habits and success rates are irregular. They are used to being hungry sometimes (in the wild). So human-time is not their biggest problem. I hope that makes sense.

Daylight Saving Time
I don't like it, it fades the curtains.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:56 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:27 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I'm kind of a clock perfectionist.  And when you have many, it it seems vaguely annoying when they don't agree.  And I tend to keep my wristwatch and car clock a minute ahead (helps with appointments).  

I read once that a person with 1 clock always knows what time it is but a person with 2 is never sure.  ;

I once knew a guy who collected Coocoo clocks. It was crazy when they all chimed at the same time, and some were always late. Would have driven me crazy.

Mine are all quiet. Ticking at night keeps me awake. A cucoo clock going off would levitate me right out of bed in surprise!

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 04:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:54 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, the dogs will be a mess when it all happens an hour late again. And round and round it goes.

Not to get into a cats vs dogs thing, but I understand dogs (former wolves) value routines more than cats do.  They decide when to hunt.  Cats are more opportunistic and get food when they can.  

I read once that cats basically need 6 mice a day and it is "catch as catch can".  Dogs down a moose and eat gradually for a week.  So I tend to feed my cats about "a mouse" of canned food 6 times a day.  I don't know much about dogs, but there are darn few mooses around here.  LOL!

And they don't much care when they are fed, so long as they get their 6 mousies per day.  Or 12 every couple days.  Their hunting habits and success rates are irregular.  They are used to being hungry sometimes (in the wild).  So human-time is not their biggest problem.  I hope that makes sense.

Dogs seem to be able to tell time, down to a half hour or so and that may just be impatience. Cats less so, but they do expect to be fed around approximate times, unless, of course, they have food available permanently. Cats and dogs both also hunt when not interested in food, it's the prey drive, they are instinctually chasing things.
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 04:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:56 PM)Dom Wrote: I once knew a guy who collected Coocoo clocks. It was crazy when they all chimed at the same time, and some were always late. Would have driven me crazy.

Mine are all quiet.  Ticking at night keeps me awake.  A cucoo clock going off would levitate me right out of bed in surprise!

Noises at night - one grows immune to them over time. When they are novel, your brain sounds an alarm every time. Eventually the brain decides they are not important and quits to send alarms. All sounds are like that, day or night. That's why people who are hard of hearing adjust so badly to hearing aids or implants - the first time they hear any sound, it sounds like an explosion, and then only repetition will calm the sound. I remember hubby hearing gravel under his feet for the first time - he about jumped out of his skin, it sounded like he had stepped into something explosive.
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 04:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Not to get into a cats vs dogs thing, but I understand dogs (former wolves) value routines more than cats do.  They decide when to hunt.  Cats are more opportunistic and get food when they can.  

I read once that cats basically need 6 mice a day and it is "catch as catch can".  Dogs down a moose and eat gradually for a week.  So I tend to feed my cats about "a mouse" of canned food 6 times a day.  I don't know much about dogs, but there are darn few mooses around here.  LOL!

And they don't much care when they are fed, so long as they get their 6 mousies per day.  Or 12 every couple days.  Their hunting habits and success rates are irregular.  They are used to being hungry sometimes (in the wild).  So human-time is not their biggest problem.  I hope that makes sense.

Dogs seem to be able to tell time, down to a half hour or so and that may just be impatience. Cats less so, but they do expect to be fed around approximate times, unless, of course, they have food available permanently. Cats and dogs both also hunt when not interested in food, it's the prey drive, they are instinctually chasing things.

Dogs live by human schedules. It is part of their pack nature (leftover from wolves). They only seek food when the Alpha Male says to (and part of being the Alpha Male is knowing when to gather the pack to seek a week's worth of food). Cats, not so much; more small dinners...

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 06:51 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 04:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Mine are all quiet.  Ticking at night keeps me awake.  A cucoo clock going off would levitate me right out of bed in surprise!

Noises at night - one grows immune to them over time. When they are novel, your brain sounds an alarm every time. Eventually the brain decides they are not important and quits to send alarms. All sounds are like that, day or night. That's why people who are hard of hearing adjust so badly to hearing aids or implants - the first time they hear any sound, it sounds like an explosion, and then only repetition will calm the sound. I remember hubby hearing gravel under his feet for the first time - he about jumped out of his skin, it sounded like he had stepped into something explosive.

For some of us, noises never become sufficiently routine. After 50 years of cats, I still can't fall asleep when they purr near me. And I love them. And every time (after 37 years) when the heat pumps turns on, I wake up.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 04:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Not to get into a cats vs dogs thing, but I understand dogs (former wolves) value routines more than cats do.  They decide when to hunt.  Cats are more opportunistic and get food when they can.  

a
(03-12-2023, 06:51 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 04:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Mine are all quiet.  Ticking at night keeps me awake.  A cucoo clock going off would levitate me right out of bed in surprise!

I live near a fire station and a hospital. I don't even notice the sirens. A guy who moved in across the hall moved out because the sound of the nearby freeway drove him bonkers.

I live near a fire station and a hospital. I don't even notice the sirens. A guy who moved in across the hall moved out because the sound of the nearby freeway drove him bonkers.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 08:45 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote: a
I live near a fire station and a hospital.  I don't even notice the sirens.  A guy who moved in across the hall moved out because the sound of the nearby freeway drove him bonkers.

I live near a fire station and a hospital.  I don't even notice the sirens.  A guy who moved in across the hall moved out because the sound of the nearby freeway drove him bonkers.

Permit me to admire your audio non-focus. Really, I wish I could do that. I have 2 acoustic ceiling panels fitted in my bedroom window to reduce the disturbance of the Spring Peeper frogs and the Summer croakers! And I have a piece of cardboard taped over my hallway thermostat because the blue light is disturbing at night! I sleep like a cat in a dog shelter.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 11:09 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 08:45 PM)Dānu Wrote: I live near a fire station and a hospital.  I don't even notice the sirens.  A guy who moved in across the hall moved out because the sound of the nearby freeway drove him bonkers.

Permit me to admire your audio non-focus.  Really, I wish I could do that.  I have 2 acoustic ceiling panels fitted in my bedroom window to reduce the disturbance of the Spring Peeper frogs and the Summer croakers!   And I have a piece of cardboard taped  over my hallway thermostat because the blue light is disturbing at night!  I sleep like a cat in a dog shelter.

Light bothers me too. The frog concert and the cricket song actually are like a lullaby to me, they are comforting and put me to sleep asap.
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 11:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 11:09 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Permit me to admire your audio non-focus.  Really, I wish I could do that.  I have 2 acoustic ceiling panels fitted in my bedroom window to reduce the disturbance of the Spring Peeper frogs and the Summer croakers!   And I have a piece of cardboard taped  over my hallway thermostat because the blue light is disturbing at night!  I sleep like a cat in a dog shelter.

Light bothers me too. The frog concert and the cricket song actually are like a lullaby to me, they are comforting and put me to sleep asap.

I envy you the enjoyment of the frog concert abed. I like it too when I'm awake!

Daylight Saving Time
Futzing with my atomic clock. I'm in a poor location for getting atomic clock signals, but this one usually syncs up. Not today. Moving it to the window.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 12:20 AM)Dānu Wrote: Futzing with my atomic clock.  I'm in a poor location for getting atomic clock signals, but this one usually syncs up.  Not today.  Moving it to the window.

Some things interfere with them. I have mine up high and away from metal and water (I have some aquaria). The instructions said East and West helps but I've never had a problem with all mine North/South. Are you near mountains or cell towers?

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 12:28 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 12:20 AM)Dānu Wrote: Futzing with my atomic clock.  I'm in a poor location for getting atomic clock signals, but this one usually syncs up.  Not today.  Moving it to the window.

Some things interfere with them.  I have mine up high and away from metal and water (I have some aquaria).  The instructions said East and West helps but I've never had a problem with all mine North/South.  Are you near mountains or cell towers?

I'm on the south side of the building. I think it's just a line-of-sight problem but I've never really looked into it.

Oops. It looks like it's synced now, but it's in the wrong time zone. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix that.

Vivekananda