Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Unless it mutates.

The real issue is getting vaccines out to poorer countries so that the virus doesn't have a reservoir in which to mutate further. So long as this virus has a couple of billion people in which it can reproduce and thereby mutate, we will continue to see waves that will spread into vaxxed nations rendering their efforts nugatory.

This is one point where being altruistic can directly benefit ourselves too.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • abaris, Dancefortwo, Dom, Deesse23

Mask on, mask off. Mask on, mask off.

Mr Miyagi 2022.
The following 1 user Likes Thingymebob's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-20-2022, 11:16 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Unless it mutates.

It is mutating and will continue to mutate forever. The influenza virus that led to the 1918 pandemic is believed to still be with us a century later in the H1N1 variant.
Surely you meant unless it mutates into a more contagious and deadly variant, which is a more nuanced take.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Alan V

(02-20-2022, 08:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The other side of the coin is that we've seen how people react to CDC data.  A lot of them would rather listen to some jackass on Youtube.

I've found myself on Youtube after falling down rabbit holes while attempting to find data on vaccines and boosters. And, yes, I can attest that there is a lot of garbage on there. Transparency and factual data can be good counterpoints to jackasses on Youtube. But when it simply doesn't exist because the powers that be decide that we can't handle the data, it's difficult to have any substantive dialogue with others and the garbage instead gets elevated and grabs people's attention. 

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(02-20-2022, 11:56 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:16 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Unless it mutates.

It is mutating and will continue to mutate forever. The influenza virus that led to the 1918 pandemic is believed to still be with us a century later in the H1N1 variant.
Surely you meant unless it mutates into a more contagious and deadly variant, which is a more nuanced take.

-Teresa

Yes, and don't call me Shirley.
The following 3 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball, Tres Leches, SYZ

I don't watch any youtube vids or consume any social media channels on important matters. It's all BS of the first order, but sadly all too many people think, it's on the internet, so it has to be true. Or, that's what the powers don't want you to know.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 4 users Like abaris's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, Deesse23

(02-21-2022, 12:07 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 08:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The other side of the coin is that we've seen how people react to CDC data.  A lot of them would rather listen to some jackass on Youtube.

I've found myself on Youtube after falling down rabbit holes while attempting to find data on vaccines and boosters. And, yes, I can attest that there is a lot of garbage on there. Transparency and factual data can be good counterpoints to jackasses on Youtube. But when it simply doesn't exist because the powers that be decide that we can't handle the data, it's difficult to have any substantive dialogue with others and the garbage instead gets elevated and grabs people's attention. 

-Teresa

Transparency only works with people who trust the source. And to be fair, there's a large number of people who refuse to trust anything issued from a government agency. You can blame the gub'mint all you want but you will always have 10-15% who will disbelieve it for precisely the fact that it's gub'mint.

List some sources you prefer?
On hiatus.

I suspect that the real problem, Teresa, is that people go shopping for someone who tells them what they want to hear.

The CDC reported in 2020 that respondents to a survey claimed that 4% of them actually drank bleach.  How do you argue with such people?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(02-21-2022, 12:07 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I've found myself on Youtube after falling down rabbit holes while attempting to find data on vaccines and boosters. <snip>
-Teresa

Where the hell were you looking for data that you had to use YouTube as a fallback?
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-21-2022, 02:00 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 12:07 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I've found myself on Youtube after falling down rabbit holes while attempting to find data on vaccines and boosters. <snip>
-Teresa

Where the hell were you looking for data that you had to use YouTube as a fallback?

Like Youtube isn't itself a rabbit-hole ...
On hiatus.

Just for the hell of it, I fired up Google Scholar, put CDC Covid Reports in the seach box and came up with 97,000 papers.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Inkubus, Dom

(02-21-2022, 01:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 12:07 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

-Teresa

Transparency only works with people who trust the source. And to be fair, there's a large number of people who refuse to trust anything issued from a government agency. You can blame the gub'mint all you want but you will always have 10-15% who will disbelieve it for precisely the fact that it's gub'mint.

List some sources you prefer?

TikTok and Instagram have never failed me.  Big Grin 

Where did you get that 10-15% number?  Smile

Trust but verify. Somehow that's recently turned into trust, don't verify.
As far as news, I've found that foreign outlets in Europe and beyond have coverage that's more matter of fact and less screaming, click-baity headlines.

-Teresa

(02-21-2022, 03:34 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Where did you get that 10-15% number?  Smile

Seems to be the hardcore denialist baseline here in America.

Quote:Twelve years later, there’s another pandemic, another vaccine, and more vaccine hesitancy—but that hesitancy has spread differently within the population. Although public-health experts initially worried that Black Americans would be highly vaccine-hesitant, there’s now racial parity among people who want shots. Instead, young conservatives are the great outlier. According to Kaiser Family Foundation polling, 13 percent of Americans say they definitely won’t get a COVID-19 vaccine, but that includes 18 percent of people ages 30 to 49, and a whopping 29 percent of Republicans. Hesitancy is particularly high among people who live in rural areas and white evangelicals—for whom increased church attendance correlates with increased hesitancy, according to a survey from the Public Religion Research Institute.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...sm/618724/
On hiatus.

(02-21-2022, 02:00 AM)Inkubus Wrote:
-Teresa

I know, right? If only the data were published and readily accessible, I wouldn't be clicking around the web. Maybe you missed the NY Times reporting I posted upthread.

I'm not above admitting I've ended up on Youtube but let me be 100% crystal clear: I don't outsource my thinking to mega-corporations or politicians and I don't use Youtube as a credible source of information. 

-Teresa

(02-21-2022, 03:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: [...] I don't use Youtube as a credible source of information. 

-Teresa

If it isn't credible then why peruse it?
On hiatus.

(02-21-2022, 03:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 03:34 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Where did you get that 10-15% number?  Smile

Seems to be the hardcore denialist baseline here in America.

Quote:Twelve years later, there’s another pandemic, another vaccine, and more vaccine hesitancy—but that hesitancy has spread differently within the population. Although public-health experts initially worried that Black Americans would be highly vaccine-hesitant, there’s now racial parity among people who want shots. Instead, young conservatives are the great outlier. According to Kaiser Family Foundation polling, 13 percent of Americans say they definitely won’t get a COVID-19 vaccine, but that includes 18 percent of people ages 30 to 49, and a whopping 29 percent of Republicans. Hesitancy is particularly high among people who live in rural areas and white evangelicals—for whom increased church attendance correlates with increased hesitancy, according to a survey from the Public Religion Research Institute.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...sm/618724/

Ok, I thought that was a general statistic on distrust of government not specific to the coronavirus. 
There's a paywall on your link.

-Teresa

(02-21-2022, 03:48 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Ok, I thought that was a general statistic on distrust of government not specific to the coronavirus. 

I thought it was clear we were talking about Covid.

(02-21-2022, 03:48 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: There's a paywall on your link.

-Teresa

I'm subscribed, and posted what I thought was sufficient context. Here's the entire article:

Show ContentSpoiler:

Anyway, what are your preferred sources aside from Youtube?
On hiatus.

(02-21-2022, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 03:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: [...] I don't use Youtube as a credible source of information. 

-Teresa

How would I know it's not credible if I don't see for myself? I'm not an infant and I don't need other people or entities to gatekeep for me or to spoon feed me information. (Do people here think I'm spending hours watching youtube videos on Covid conspiracy kooks? That's false and I don't.)

Fox News is rubbish too but every few months I purposefully check their headlines and what they're talking about. It doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly morph into a MAGA hat wearing Trump supporter, for pete's sake. 

-Teresa

(02-21-2022, 04:02 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

-Teresa

How would I know it's not credible if I don't see for myself? I'm not an infant and I don't need other people or entities to gatekeep for me or to spoon feed me information. (Do people here think I'm spending hours watching youtube videos on Covid conspiracy kooks? That's false and I don't.)

Fox News is rubbish too but every few months I purposefully check their headlines and what they're talking about. It doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly morph into a MAGA hat wearing Trump supporter, for pete's sake. 

-Teresa

Meh, to me there's a difference between reading between different sources and digging into Youtube. I can keep a thumb on the pulse without going down that particular rabbit-hole too.
On hiatus.

nevermind, i apologize
R.I.P. Hannes

(02-21-2022, 03:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: ...I'm not above admitting I've ended up on YouTube but let me be 100% crystal clear: I don't outsource my thinking to mega-corporations or politicians and I don't use Youtube as a credible source of information.

-Teresa

This Aussie site is reliable, from my experience over the course of the pandemic:

Healthdirect's information and advice are developed and managed within a
rigorous clinical governance framework. This website is certified by the Health
On The Net (HON) foundation, the standard for trustworthy health information
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(02-20-2022, 10:56 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't think the pandemic will be over any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Once we get politics and the media out of the way everyone will calm down and it'll be something we'll learn to live with, just like everything else that came and went. I'm fully vaxxed and I'm not going to allow the fear of COVID to determine how I'm going to live my life...and I choose not to wear a mask.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter

(02-21-2022, 03:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I know, right? If only the data were published and readily accessible, I wouldn't be clicking around the web. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

(02-21-2022, 10:46 AM)Mad Hatter Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 10:56 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't think the pandemic will be over any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Once we get politics and the media out of the way everyone will calm down and it'll be something we'll learn to live with, just like everything else that came and went. I'm fully vaxxed and I'm not going to allow the fear of COVID to determine how I'm going to live my life...and I choose not to wear a mask.

I have to use a fluticasone nose spray for my chronic sinus infection - that's a topical immuno-suppressant. I will be covering up my nose. Combine the people dying daily from Covid and those from the flu and those are my chances. I'm not quite ready to die yet, and when I am, it won't from be slow suffocation. I will likely mask in closed spaces for the rest of my life.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball