Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid things the religious say

(03-17-2021, 09:38 PM)SYZ Wrote: Stupid things theists believe...

The Holy Bible; pages 1 to 1,150 inclusive.

The Psalms of Solomon are about the only thing worth reading in the bible.  

Quote: My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening; my heart began to pound for him. I arose to open for my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with flowing myrrh, on the handles of the bolt. 

Thrust his hand through the latch-opening??   I don't think this was a discussion of door locks.  lol

Quote: There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, Vera

(04-23-2021, 03:54 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The Psalms of Solomon are about the only thing worth reading in the bible.  

My first "sex" scene was in 1001 Nights. Ma'aruf the shoe-maker. I had a book aimed at kids so it was all very vague and obscure:

"He then set the charge, fired the cannon and demolished the fortress. He found his bride an unbored pearl and a mare that no one else had ridden, so he took her maidenhead and enjoyed her youth. Then he withdrew from her andafter a restorative pause, he returned fifteen times, as a result of which she conceived."

My version stopped after fortress, no pearls or conceiving but even though I was quite young I did get what they were talking about.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I have a  two-volume "grown-up" edition that I've been meaning to read for ages (but it's a bit on the verbose side... and yeah, coming from me (often on the verbose side myself  Modest ) this is rather ironic)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Peebothuhlu

"I feel sorry for you."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-27-2021, 12:21 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: "I feel sorry for you."

I seem to have not noticed the "good parts"...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

"The American flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies from the last breath of each solider (sic) who died protecting it."

Yep, this *is* religion. The religion of militaristic nationalism.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis, vulcanlogician, Kim

"Atheism is the belief that something can come from nothing."
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

(06-22-2021, 12:26 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "Atheism is the belief that something can come from nothing."
Ironically, we can demonstrate that things come from nothing—that's more or less how Hawking radiation works.  Particle/antiparticle pairs are spontaneously appearing and annihilating all the time...

Or, on the flip side, there's no such thing as nothing.  Smile
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, GenesisNemesis, Kim

Pastor Greg Locke: There are ‘child trafficking tunnels’ beneath Biden’s White House
deadstate.org

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-28-2021, 01:21 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Pastor Greg Locke: There are ‘child trafficking tunnels’ beneath Biden’s White House
deadstate.org

I'd really like to see a limit here in the US where people are chastised for saying this sort of stupidity.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus, GenesisNemesis, Szuchow

(06-28-2021, 02:39 AM)Fireball Wrote: I'd really like to see a limit here in the US where people are chastised for saying this sort of stupidity.

They have to say the stupid stuff to keep the stupid people in the stupid pews.

It is sad they can't think for themselves, though. Sitting there, why doesn't it cross their minds, "That was a stupid thing to say, I can't be a part of this organization anymore."

• Fireball

(06-28-2021, 01:21 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Pastor Greg Locke: There are ‘child trafficking tunnels’ beneath Biden’s White House
deadstate.org

Locke's moron ramblings were reported by CNN, Newsweek and a Christian website.  Locke is now threatening to sue them all for defamation.  For quoting him.  If a judge was feeling sorry for Locke, he would throw the suit out as frivolous.  If not, he would allow it, Locke would lose, and be counter-sued.  Discovery would be a real laugh out loud riot.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus

(06-28-2021, 06:43 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
deadstate.org

Locke's moron ramblings were reported by CNN, Newsweek and a Christian website.  Locke is now threatening to sue them all for defamation.  For quoting him.  If a judge was feeling sorry for Locke, he would throw the suit out as frivolous.  If not, he would allow it, Locke would lose, and be counter-sued.  Discovery would be a real laugh out loud riot.
I hope the judge is not feeling sorry for him.  The hubris of claiming that quoting one's own words is defamatory... well, that's wingnuttery for you.  If he could think clearly, he wouldn't be an extremist preacher.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Fireball, Inkubus, Gwaithmir, Kim

God made heaven and earth and that’s all the science we need to know
deadstate.org

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

Capitol rioter who wanted to ‘hang’ Nancy Pelosi says she can’t be prosecuted because God gave her ‘dominion over the law’
deadstate.org

Stupid bitch. xD

The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis

Christian radio host: Theocracy won’t be a bad thing because ‘maniacal Christians’ will keep us safe
deadstate.org

• GenesisNemesis

How did this go unnoticed?

Quote:The Texas Republican congressman Louie Gohmert has asked a senior US government official if changing the moon’s orbit around the Earth, or the Earth’s orbit around the sun, might be a solution for climate change.

Beyond parody.
The following 3 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Vera, brunumb, Kim

(07-20-2021, 12:59 PM)Inkubus Wrote: How did this go unnoticed?

Quote:The Texas Republican congressman Louie Gohmert has asked a senior US government official if changing the moon’s orbit around the Earth, or the Earth’s orbit around the sun, might be a solution for climate change.

Beyond parody.

Well, technically you could solve the global warming issue by moving the earth a bit further away from the sun. The problem is, we don't have a couple hundred (minimum) years to develop the technologies needed and affect the changes required. But sure, if you're willing to wait until the earth is mostly uninhabitable and our descendants are fighting wars over clean water, then yes, we could actually do that. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

Idiots like this sometimes make me think the Jan. 6th crowd might have had the right idea, just for the wrong reasons.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Kim

(07-20-2021, 12:59 PM)Inkubus Wrote: How did this go unnoticed?

Beyond parody.

I see people who sent a probe on a billion-km journey to a comet and then I see the English yob who stuck a lit flare up his arse or this joker and I refuse to believe these could be members of the same species. I don't know if our ancestors had something on the side with something really really stupid... or if our ancestors were the really stupid ones and some long-gone and much more intelligent species left a trace of intellgience in the (very) occasional homo sapiens.
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • brunumb, Inkubus

Quote:From CNN:
Amid recent surging coronavirus cases in Florida, a top Republican National Committee official in the state has spread anti-vaccine rhetoric and misinformation, comparing the Biden administration's vaccine efforts to Nazi-era "brown shirts," and twice calling the vaccines "the mark of the beast," comparable to a "false god."
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

(08-03-2021, 10:02 AM)Alan V Wrote:
Quote:From CNN:
Amid recent surging coronavirus cases in Florida, a top Republican National Committee official in the state has spread anti-vaccine rhetoric and misinformation, comparing the Biden administration's vaccine efforts to Nazi-era "brown shirts," and twice calling the vaccines "the mark of the beast," comparable to a "false god."

Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged
individual such as Feaman can hold the political position he occupies.  Reading his
bio, he sounds like a Trump mini-me.  I also don't understand what he gets out of all
this from a personally advantageous viewpoint.

Feaman believes that the view that the US is embroiled in a "war on terror" is merely
useless political correctness and obscures the fact that the real enemy is radical Islam.

He claimed, six years ago, that the leaders of radical Islam have a
plan to take over the entire world by violent force by the year 2020.     Weeping
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Kim

(08-03-2021, 12:40 PM)SYZ Wrote: Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged
individual such as Feaman can hold the political position he occupies.

Quote:Also from the above article:
In addition to peddling medical misinformation, Feaman spread conspiracy theories. Feaman pushed the falsehood that the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald Trump, peddled Capitol insurrection conspiracies suggesting that the January 6 insurrection was a "set up to make the Trump folks look bad" and implied the event was a "false flag" operation carried about by Democrats to seize power.
In another post from February, Feaman shared an article by conservative talk show host Dennis Prager in which the author compared Democrats' actions after the Capitol insurrection to Nazis who used the Reichstag fire as a means to seize power in 1933.

So yes, Feaman is a paranoid delusional. So it is surprising that he was voted into power. It seems Republicans favor mentally-ill leaders right now.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • SYZ, brunumb, Kim

"God gave me an immune system."

This one especially pisses me off because I was born with a weakened immune system. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Kim

Quote:Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged

The voters are every bit as stupid as he is.  In fact, they love 'em stupid.  The stupider the better.

[Image: donald-trump_3470953b.jpg]

Makes them feel less inadequate.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • vulcanlogician

(08-19-2021, 09:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged

The voters are every bit as stupid as he is.  In fact, they love 'em stupid.  The stupider the better.

[Image: donald-trump_3470953b.jpg]

Makes them feel less inadequate.

So true. I used to be very into politics. Like, my evenings were flipping between CNN, Fox, and MSNBC during election season. It's pretty much all I did after work. But I can tell you the exact day when I became disillusioned with the whole affair, and I haven't engaged in politics at all since.

And it isn't because an idiot got elected. It's because the people who elected him are idiots. And you can't really fix that.
The following 4 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball, Minimalist, Gwaithmir

(08-20-2021, 12:02 AM)vulcanlogician Wrote: So true. I used to be very into politics. Like, my evenings were flipping between CNN, Fox, and MSNBC during election season. It's pretty much all I did after work. But I can tell you the exact day when I became disillusioned with the whole affair, and I haven't engaged in politics at all since.

And it isn't because an idiot got elected. It's because the people who elected him are idiots. And you can't really fix that.

If the people in different parties are NOT equally idiots (one party being worse than another), then there is still a reason to be involved in politics.  Since I am pretty much a one-issue voter (climate change), and since Republicans barely acknowledge the problem (being more idiotic), I will always vote for Democrats until that changes somehow.

But I can see how you wouldn't have to flip between channels, that being the case.