Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus and religiosity

I've noticed that much of what I hear from other Americans and in US media coverage relating to the coronavirus has oddly religious and moralistic undertones. Sometimes, it's blatantly and religious and moralistic.

Here's a headline this week from the Washington Post - just one small example: 

"He didn't take Covid-19 seriously. Being hospitalized 'made a believer' out of him"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/20...or-change/

I'm curious why people feel it's useful to shake their fists at beach-goers on tv or to share memes on social media bragging about "believing in" and "having faith in" science instead of what the current president and his minions say. Granted the current lame-duck president is worse than useless but who cares what you "believe" or don't believe? The coronavirus certainly doesn't care. Many people who "believe in" the coronavirus still get sick. 

It's reminiscent of when the AIDS epidemic was at its height in the 80s and early 90s. Many Americans openly and proudly passed judgement on AIDS patients because it was "punishment on the gays and they deserve it." The stigma was so bad that privacy laws were passed on obtaining medical information on HIV/ AIDS - laws that still stand today.

It seems like this odd way of approaching the pandemic is uniquely American. Since this approach isn't helping and is probably making the entire catastrophe worse, we'll keep doing it because we don't learn. 
Too bad we're fighting with that guy in the park walking his dog without a mask instead of shaking our fists at the government and community leaders for not having a unified and cohesive response to the pandemic. 

I guess it's just easier to paint everything with a religious/ moral brush.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 5 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Little Lunch, Phaedrus, mordant, jerry mcmasters, Gwaithmir

I never thought about it like that. Nice catch. :-)
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • Tres Leches

(12-05-2020, 03:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I've noticed that much of what I hear from other Americans and in US media coverage relating to the coronavirus has oddly religious and moralistic undertones. Sometimes, it's blatantly and religious and moralistic.

"He didn't take Covid-19 seriously. Being hospitalized 'made a believer' out of him"

<snip>

-Teresa

When I read that I don't hear religious overtones, merely that he now believed Covid-19 was serious.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • SYZ, Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

(12-05-2020, 05:23 AM)Chas Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 03:13 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I've noticed that much of what I hear from other Americans and in US media coverage relating to the coronavirus has oddly religious and moralistic undertones. Sometimes, it's blatantly and religious and moralistic.

<snip>

-Teresa

When I read that I don't hear religious overtones, merely that he now believed Covid-19 was serious.

He converted from a non-believer into a believer.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

(12-05-2020, 05:57 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

-Teresa

He converted from a non-believer into a believer.

-Teresa

Maybe so, but his conversion had nothing to do with religion per se.

EG:   In the early days, I didn't believe that car exhaust fumes added massively to global
warming, but seeing the latest 2019 figures, I'm now a believer.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

<snip>

-Teresa

It oddly seems more political now than logical for some. Republicans generally don't wear masks because Trump told them not to. Democrats generally wear masks because Doctors tell them to.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

I just wish Covid deniers could be marched through ICU wards. As I told a customer one time (who'd told me that the best defense was a "strong mind"), the virus doesn't give a shit what you think, and neither do I. Facts are facts.

It'd be nice if these maskholes could see with their own eyes the suffering that their own selfishness is inflicting. Of course, that requires them to have open eyes, as well. Not willing to put much money on that.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ, Tres Leches

On the other hand we have reports from nurses that some Covid patients in ICU wards are abusing nurses and doctors because Covid isn't real and exists only because they make it real somehow.

People ask if you "believe in Covid" or "believe in evolution" or even if you "believe in god" as if believing matters or makes things so and evidence isn't even a factor. We are so far down that particular rabbit hole now that truth no longer matters. Hell, basically nothing matters anymore, even a little. Integrity, honesty, consistency, loyalty, constancy, kindness ... all of it's out the window, because beliefs.

This is what I call the death of reason, or when I'm being pedantic, the death of critical thinking. I frankly don't know how we come back from this. Well ... I actually DO know, but I wonder if enough people have the will to make it happen.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Tres Leches

(12-06-2020, 02:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I just wish Covid deniers could be marched through ICU wards.

I have read accounts from nurses in hospitals where C-19 deniers are struggling to breath and still denying the virus. It's a sad existence.

The following 6 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • mordant, Fireball, c172, Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Tres Leches

(12-06-2020, 04:02 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 02:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I just wish Covid deniers could be marched through ICU wards.

I have read accounts from nurses in hospitals where C-19 deniers are struggling to breath and still denying the virus. It's a sad existence.

I have too, but I think seeing the misery first-hand would change some minds.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dom