Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

[Image: 8ab70731b1553f17c11a3bbc87e0b605.jpg?itok=vy0zNAn1]

The Mild Heartburn Of An Elderly Man
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(06-07-2020, 08:10 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: 8ab70731b1553f17c11a3bbc87e0b605.jpg?itok=vy0zNAn1]

Ragnarok. I always thought Asgard was a "place". Rainbow Bridge and all.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(06-07-2020, 12:20 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 08:10 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: 8ab70731b1553f17c11a3bbc87e0b605.jpg?itok=vy0zNAn1]

Ragnarok.  I always thought Asgard was a "place".  Rainbow Bridge and all.

A "nation" can be dislocated and survive as an entity.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Wheels of Fire (1985)
In a postapocalyptic wasteland, motorcycle gangs fight over resources.
Trace has used his modified car to stay out of it, until the Scourge gang kidnaps his sister.

- Mad Max, more or less.

The Sisterhood (1988)
Witches struggling to survive in a postapocalyptic medieval age.

The Arena (1974)
The Romans are growing bored with slave men and animals killing each other in the arena. They try using women instead. What could go wrong?

The Terror Within II (1991)
Monstrous mutants caused by a bioweapon has driven mankind to the point of extinction.
Survivors in an underground lab fight against the plague and the creatures.

The Invisible Man (2017)
A modern retelling of H.G. Wells novel.
A scientist discovers the means to turn himself invisible. He uses it to avenge his son, but the side-effects from the experiment are starting to show.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Bcat

Plot:
Two young men are tasked with delivering a message to another group of British soldiers, to delay an attack on the German's, due to the attack being known and planned for by said the opposition forces. The two must travel several miles alone to reach their destination, where certain peril awaits!

Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this movie - great cinematography, really smart editing [some claim it's one long shot, but you can see the cuts/edits if you're looking for them], awesome acting by an allstar cast as well as from fresh faces. it's intense, the music is great - I really can't say anything overal bad about it to be honest.

If you like your war movies, check it out for sure. Even if you're not into them - it's worth a watch.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Dānu

"1917" is exceptional in the war movie genre. My friends on the military history forums are running ~90% approval. My lead prof. at Purdue is seriously irked that it didn't arrive in time for his WWI class. (He retired several years ago.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500

[Image: bigtits.jpg]

Kyonyû doragon: Onsen zonbi vs sutorippâ 5
(Big Tits Dragon - Zombies vs. Strippers)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • M.Linoge

(06-10-2020, 03:37 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: bigtits.jpg]

Kyonyû doragon: Onsen zonbi vs sutorippâ 5
(Big Tits Dragon - Zombies vs. Strippers)

Thats disgusting! 

Where can I find it?  Big Grin
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • M.Linoge, Dānu

Fast and the Furious 119
Jerry Atrix revenge.

It was just like the first one, except now they have souped up Hoverounds.

Virtual Combat (1995) (B)
In the future, virtual reality is common. Everything from games to sexual experiences is open to the public. The next technological leap is printing the virtual characters, giving them real bodies irl. Unfortunately, one of the first to emerge is a telepathic villain from a lethal combat game.

- Cheesy and nostalgic.

Terminal Voyage (1994)
The small crew of a multi-national space-ship, sent to explore a distant Earth-like planet, emerge from hibernation only to learn mankind has destroyed the homeworld.
The very last few survivors now have the opportunity to make more constructive choices.

In Fabric (2018)
In 1980’s London there is a second hand shop run by witches. Unsuspecting bargain hunters enter, some of them won’t like what they leave with.

- Unusual. A British satire in classic style, with a pinch of horror. High marks for a refreshing attempt at originality.

Freaks (2018)
For seven year old Chloe, the world is a house with covered windows. She likes to draw and practice lying with her dad, to fool the people outside who will kill her if she gives the wrong answers.
Until one day she sneaks outside for ice-cream and learn that her dad bent the truth a little bit.

Brahms - The Boy II (2020)
After a break-in, leaving their son mute and the mother traumatized, a family decides to move; choosing a large isolated mansion, where they find a doll and a list of rules.

Rabid (2019)
After a disfiguring accident Rose accepts an offer of an experimental treatment, with a few side effects the doctors did not warn her about.

- A very different concept compared to the 1977 original. A step in the right direction but falls a little short of greatness.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra

[Image: Walking_with_the_Enemy_poster.jpg]

The Image on the DVD case is a bit different from the movie poster.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

[Image: wxZwTUav8sVrCdMm3WrtdE.png]

[Image: iron-man-first-suit-2008-1169650-1280x0.jpeg]

Vivekananda

Knives Out

Quite excellent.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • M.Linoge, Alan V, brunumb

(06-13-2020, 06:16 PM)no one Wrote: Knives Out

Quite excellent.

Yeah, I liked that one too, and watched it a second time immediately after the first time.

I was very impressed with Daniel Craig's role.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Alan V

(06-13-2020, 12:57 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: wxZwTUav8sVrCdMm3WrtdE.png]

[Image: iron-man-first-suit-2008-1169650-1280x0.jpeg]

Awesome film!  Thumbs Up
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Tomb Raider [2018]

Plot:
Reboot of the movie franchise which follows the reboot of the gaming franchise also - Young Lara Croft finds some clues to the whereabouts of her missing father, who had disappeared looking for an ancient burial site to prevent a potential world ending curse being unleashed. Will she find him and is the curse real?

Thoughts:
I actually quite enjoyed this. The story is similar to the game, which is really good, and the overall story of the curse I thought was done really well. It's a bit cheesey/generic in places but overall i liked it - I'd watch another one for sure.

Worth checking out Smile
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat

(06-13-2020, 08:02 PM)no one Wrote: I was very impressed with Daniel Craig's role.
Oh, but Captain Goody Two Shoes finally gets to be a bad guy. How sweet.

Independence Day

Plot:
Aliens turn up. They are not friendly.

Thoughts:
I will say up top - I like this film. I enjoy it any time I've seen it. BUT - there are so many gaping holes in this, that I get a little bit frustrated with it each time around. Mainly if you understand how computers work, you'd know how hard it would be to create a virus for an alien operating system in what seems to be 6 hours notice, to attempt to save the world. [Apparently a scene was cut that explains all earths computer systems were backwards engineered from the alien ship that crashed in Roswell in the 50's - which if left in at least would explain how they had SOMETHING to work with]. This and a TON of other things wind me up a little bit, now I'm older at least.

That being said, in terms of schlockey action movies with pretty decent effects that mostly still hold up as well. The "We won't go quietly into the night" speech is still AMAZING, plus the Jewish father is hilarious in this. Looks back the cast is pretty solid and random as well [Bill pullman, Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Data from Star Trek] but it all sort of comes together very well.

In short: Like movies that feature decent special effects and big explosions? this is for you. Know how computers work? Maybe skip some of the more frustration parts. It's also very "AMERICA" - so while we see that the rest of the world is fighting this alien invasion, somewhat, it's obviously a lot of flags/saluting and all that jazz as well.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu

(06-13-2020, 08:00 PM)Alan V Wrote: Yeah, I liked that one too, and watched it a second time immediately after the first time.

(06-13-2020, 08:02 PM)no one Wrote: I was very impressed with Daniel Craig's role.

Oh god, his accent was unwatchable  Panic

(And as someone who grew up on Agatha Christie, that was the most convoluted, plot-holey and absurd plot ever. I gave up and read the ending.  hobo )

(On the plus side, after enduring Us (god almighty what a load of utter bunk) and A Quiet Place and Hereditary and Leave No Trace I ain't listnin' to no more posh critics who want to prove they're "with it" no more. Back to my personalised imdb recommendations for me, it's worth digging through the dross for the occasional gem I do find.)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(06-18-2020, 08:24 PM)Vera Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 08:00 PM)Alan V Wrote: Yeah, I liked that one too, and watched it a second time immediately after the first time.

Oh god, his accent was unwatchable  Panic

(And as someone who grew up on Agatha Christie, that was the most convoluted, plot-holey and absurd plot ever. I gave up and read the ending.  hobo )

It was a comedy that effectively made fun of white privilege.  One of the other characters even mocked Craig's character's accent.

(06-18-2020, 09:03 PM)Alan V Wrote: It was a comedy that effectively made fun of white privilege.  One of the other characters even mocked Craig's character's accent.

The "comedy" part was even worse. It - and the "political commentary" - had as much subtlety as being vomited upon and about the same depth. I'd rather someone made fun of it with a least a modicum of real wit and subtlety. *That* was not it. It was a joke and not in the way they intended it to be.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

So you didn't like this movie?

(06-18-2020, 09:12 PM)Vera Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 09:03 PM)Alan V Wrote: It was a comedy that effectively made fun of white privilege.  One of the other characters even mocked Craig's character's accent.

The "comedy" part was even worse. It had as much subtlety as being vomited upon. I'd rather someone made fun it with a least a modicum of real wit and subtlety. *That* was not it. It was a joke and not in the way they intended it to be.

Yes, the comedy is broad.  Tastes vary.  I liked it and have now watched it a third time.  I can also understand why some people don't like it.

What do you consider plot holes?
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • brunumb

(06-18-2020, 09:22 PM)Alan V Wrote: Tastes vary. 

Indeed they do. I hated it, you liked it, it’s all good (and by all I still don’t mean the movie Big Grin)

Quote:What do you consider plot holes?

Oh, please, I’d forgotten I’d even seen it till I saw your posts.  Confused  I vividly remember finding – and sharing them with Shai – a whole bunch of plot holes in the first half an hour of A Quiet Place, for example… but other than why don’t they live by the waterfall, I don’t remember a thing.

I’ve forgotten most stories by Greg Egan and I *loved* those… which is probably worrying… I mean, I *do* remember while rereading but my memory isn’t what it used to be… or maybe it never used to be and I just can’t remember hobo
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Alan V