Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jar foods

Jar foods
What's your favorite? I loooove raw cashew butter.  I can eat an entire jar in one sitting.  Sooo good!
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • Phaedrus

Jar foods
Snickers in a jar. Last time I seen it was about 15 years ago but it made an impression on me. From products currently available it would be a Bounty in a jar I guess.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Snickers in a jar. Last time I seen it was about 15 years ago but it made an impression on me. From products currently available it would be a Bounty in a jar I guess.

What's bounty in a jar? Here bounty is paper towels lol  Tongue

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:24 PM)Jenny Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 06:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Snickers in a jar. Last time I seen it was about 15 years ago but it made an impression on me. From products currently available it would be a Bounty in a jar I guess.

[Image: 597.jpg]
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Jenny, skyking

Jar foods

Looks quite the same as a Mounds bar in the USA. I love Mounds!

As for jar foods, I always have peanut butter on hand (smooth). Sometimes jelly or marmalade, too. 

Couple months ago, I found a hazelnut cheesecake spread by Jif. It was wonderful! And I'm not one to lose it over Nutella, either positively or negatively.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Jenny, skyking

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:33 PM)c172 Wrote:

Looks quite the same as a Mounds bar in the USA. I love Mounds!

As for jar foods, I always have peanut butter on hand (smooth). Sometimes jelly or marmalade, too. 

Couple months ago, I found a hazelnut cheesecake spread by Jif. It was wonderful! And I'm not one to lose it over Nutella, either positively or negatively.

Far as I remember, it's identical to Mounds. I haven't had either in decades though.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFf8Mk3-gcAWPq0vGoSFO...2H7K9lPLQu]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Jenny, Alan V, skyking, Astreja

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:49 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFf8Mk3-gcAWPq0vGoSFO...2H7K9lPLQu]

Chuckle Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Jar foods
Lyutenitsa (and pickled stuff. We do lots of pickles in Bulgaria. Pickled chilli peppers!)

[Image: domashna-lutenica-s-med-1-%5B2957%5D.jpg]

[Image: barzacarskaturshiika.jpg]

[Image: %25D0%259F%25D1%2583%25D0%25BA%25D0%25B0...BD.jpg.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Szuchow, Jenny, Alan V, skyking, Thumpalumpacus

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:55 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: barzacarskaturshiika.jpg]

Amish chow-chow (picked vegetables) looks like your second picture, and is one of my favorite "jar foods".
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 08:01 PM)Alan V Wrote: Amish chow-chow (picked vegetables) looks like your second picture, and is one of my favorite "jar foods".

They do appear to be similar. Like a lot of foods in the Balkans, ours appears to be of Middle Eastern origin

"In Bulgarian cuisine, the most popular types are tsarska turshiya ("king's pickle") and selska turshiya ("country pickle"). Toursi is a traditional appetizer (meze) to go with arak, rakı, ouzo, tsipouro, and rakia.

Tsarska turshiya is made with cauliflower, red peppers, carrots, and celery. The vegetables are mixed with some salt and sugar and left overnight. The next day the juice is mixed with vinegar and boiled for several minutes. The vegetables are put in glass jars and pressed down with cherry twigs and a round river stone, then the jars are filled with the cooled pickle marinade.

Selska turshiya is made with green peppers, green tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, and celery. The vegetables are put in a container, pressed down with some twigs and a stone, and a marinade made of salt, vinegar and water is poured on. The pickles are left to ferment."

[Image: domashnacarskaturshiq.jpg]

Can't wait to go back to the food of home!

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5277207]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Jenny, Alan V, skyking, grympy

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 09:26 PM)Vera Wrote: Toursi is a traditional appetizer (meze) to go with arak, rakı, ouzo, tsipouro, and rakia.

After you drink all that, I don't think it matters what you eat... Tongue
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Vera, Jenny, Thumpalumpacus

Jar foods
I suppose my favorite jar food (the above just reminded me of that) is Grandpa's grape desert. Fill a jar with grapes and top off with white rum. Keep in dark place for several months. At it's best poured over some vanilla ice cream....

The grapes can be substituted with any berry or fruit that has a skin and will fit in a jar without cutting into the skin, such as cherries or gooseberries or blueberries etc etc.

(I have made this and could not resist to sneaking grapes....all along the curing process.)
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 09:53 PM)Dom Wrote: I suppose my favorite jar food (the above just reminded me of that) is Grandpa's grape desert. Fill a jar with grapes and top off with white rum. Keep in dark place for several months. At it's best poured over some vanilla ice cream....

The grapes can be substituted with any berry or fruit that has a skin and will fit in a jar without cutting into the skin, such as cherries or gooseberries or blueberries etc etc.

(I have made this and could not resist to sneaking grapes....all along the curing process.)

This sounds really good!

Jar foods
[Image: large_e3335502-5588-47f9-bd59-82793abe7b48.JPG]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Jenny, Alan V

Jar foods
Herdez salsa and the occasional can of black beans for Mexican food.

Tomato sauce for my marinara.

Water chestsnuts and bean sprouts for my stir-fry.

And Maruchan Instant Lunch ramen every so often.

Outside of those, I avoid prepackaged foods.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Jenny, Szuchow

Jar foods
Oh, and pickled onions. Discovered them several years ago and I really like them.

When I was living in Patagonia, my landlady made great jams (all sorts of berries, it was berry country there, I even went to a farm/garden. And god, I can't wait to lay my mitts on some raspberries so. Very. Soon). She also made pickled eggplant which was awesome (she even made some specially for me when we went through the whole big jar pretty quickly). Oh, she fed me well, she did.

Actually, being a traditionally not very rich country, we have a tradition of preparing a lot of different things for the winter (we even have a special word for it), most of it in jars. It can range from vegetables and fruit to meat (my grandmother used to make something with the intestines and probably the rest of the offal the pigs they kept) and it was freaking delicious. Especially fried with some green tomatoes she also pickled. Or with leeks. Drool
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Jenny

Jar foods
(08-11-2019, 01:06 AM)Vera Wrote: Oh, and pickled onions. Discovered them several years ago and I really like them.

When I was living in Patagonia, my landlady made great jams (all sorts of berries, it was berry country there, I even went to a farm/garden. And god, I can't wait to lay my mitts on some raspberries so. Very. Soon). She also made pickled eggplant which was awesome (she even made some specially for me when we went through the whole big jar pretty quickly). Oh, she fed me well, she did.

Actually, being a traditionally not very rich country, we have a tradition of preparing a lot of different things for the winter (we even have a special word for it), most of it in jars. It can range from vegetables and fruit to meat (my grandmother used to make something with the intestines and probably the rest of the offal the pigs they kept) and it was freaking delicious. Especially fried with some green tomatoes she also pickled. Or with leeks. Drool

Oh yes, pickled onions and pickled eggs!
  • Jenny

Jar foods
Pickled kitten hearts.

Jar foods
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

AND

[Image: SFJam_Strawberry.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dom, Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: f-strange-foods-spotted-dick.jpg]

No thankee.
On hiatus.
  • Vera, Jenny

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 06:19 PM)Jenny Wrote: What's your favorite? I loooove raw cashew butter.  I can eat an entire jar in one sitting.  Sooo good!

Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter
Dole jarred fruits
Vita Herring in Wine Sauce

I also like pickled lamb's tongue, but it has been unavailable at local stores for at least 20 years.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
Y'all are gonna make me break out pictures of surstromming!
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-11-2019, 01:21 AM)Dom Wrote: Oh yes, pickled onions and pickled eggs!

Tried pickled partridge eggs here in Brazil. Was not impressed. Pretty much like boiled eggs.

(08-11-2019, 12:27 PM)SYZ Wrote: [Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Altogether too big.

[Image: White-Pickled-Onions-2kg.jpg]

(08-11-2019, 12:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: No thankee.

Spotted or otherwise - keep dicks away from me Dodgy

(08-11-2019, 12:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Vita Herring in Wine Sauce

Ooh, there's some herring that I love back home. One more item on the list of foods I want for my return (ok, it'll take me about a month to go through all of them, but still...)

[Image: 70673.jpeg]

(ok, that's technically a plastic container...)
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Jenny, SYZ

Jar foods
(08-11-2019, 01:30 PM)Vera Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 12:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: No thankee.

Spotted or otherwise - keep dicks away from me Dodgy

She's putting me on ignore  Weeping
On hiatus.
  • Vera, Jenny