Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Brexit Thread (topical thread)

Richard Madely is a twat. Dodgy

[Image: Daenerys2-780x410.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Minimalist, OakTree500, Kim

The electoral fight back has started. Lib Dems have made massive gains from the Remainers vote in the local council elections in England and Wales. Tories and Labour have both suffered due to Brexit.

Grass root campaigns to get people registered on the electoral register for the EU elections have already started. Especially focusing on EU citizens living here who haven't registered yet.

We have our polling cards already.

Tories and Labour suffer Brexit backlash as Lib Dems gain in local elections
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • OakTree500, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, Marozz

(05-03-2019, 09:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote: The electoral fight back has started. Lib Dems have made massive gains from the Remainers vote in the local council elections in England and Wales. Tories and Labour have both suffered due to Brexit.

Grass root campaigns to get people registered on the electoral register for the EU elections have already started. Especially focusing on EU citizens living here who haven't registered yet.

We have our polling cards already.

Tories and Labour suffer Brexit backlash as Lib Dems gain in local elections

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. It's concerning that Labour haven't really said anything regarding the potential 2nd referendum, which likely cost them ALOT of votes which I imagine the lib dems picked up.

Will be interesting to see how the Euro elections get on, and if we get any good movement on that.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Mathilda

Somebody got their ass kicked but good!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48142181

Quote:Local elections: Conservatives lose more than 1,300 councillors
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Mathilda, Fireball

No big deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48184848

Quote:British people 'having less sex' than previously

You fucked yourselves plenty with this Brexit shit.

[Image: Capturar.png]

I think in the interest of equality, this should be stickied... I mean, two of the stickied ones are about murrica, it's only fair that the one about the biggest thing in Europe right now should be stickied too (it also has more posts than two of the other stickied ones, so apparently is popular Angel )
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Mathilda, Thumpalumpacus

I don't know about "popular."  It is certainly dragging on for ever and ever!

(05-09-2019, 03:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know about "popular."  It is certainly dragging on for ever and ever!

Hardy har har Dodgy Big Grin
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(05-09-2019, 03:19 PM)Vera Wrote: I think in the interest of equality, this should be stickied... I mean, two of the stickied ones are about murrica, it's only fair that the one about the biggest thing in Europe right now should be stickied too (it also has more posts than two of the other stickied ones, so apparently is popular  Angel )

Good point!
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Vera

(05-09-2019, 03:19 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: Capturar.png]

I really don't understand why people are STILL going on about WW2. Especially those who didn't live through the war, (Widdecombe was born 2 years after it finished). YES, we know about the sacrifice made, but part of the reason FOR the EU is because OF stuff like WW2, to unify the countries into working together.

It bothers me that some 70+ years after the war ended, there is still this "us vs them" thing with the UK and europe, when even then the war wasn't UK Vs Germany, it was UK + the rest of the free world, standing up against the evil of Nazi Germany [Which is very different to standard, regular people germany]. And even Then, what that has to do with ANYTHING in the modern world today, except serving as a huge lesson in what a shit show war is, is mind boggling.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Deesse23, Mathilda, Thumpalumpacus

(05-10-2019, 09:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: It bothers me that some 70+ years after the war ended, there is still this "us vs them" thing with the UK and europe, when even then the war wasn't UK Vs Germany, it was UK + the rest of the free world, standing up against the evil of Nazi Germany [Which is very different to standard, regular people germany]. And even Then, what that has to do with ANYTHING in the modern world today, except serving as a huge lesson in what a shit show war is, is mind boggling.

It's even more ridiculous if you consider that the two wars of the 20th century were the ones out. At every other occasion Britain was in league with German states, especially Prussia. German kingdoms provided the british royals for centuries and Wilhelm was queen Victoria's grandson.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • OakTree500, Deesse23

(05-10-2019, 09:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: it was UK + the rest of the free world, standing up against the evil of Nazi Germany [Which is very different to standard, regular people germany].

I see it as the rest of world helping Germany after it caught a bad case of fascism, much like what is happening with the UK and US now.

This is what most people don't understand. It can happen to any country that does not look after its political health.
  • Phaedrus, OakTree500

Thinking It'll never happen here is indeed very dangerous, and then it is even more dangerous to ignore that events are leading to it happening.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • OakTree500, Mathilda, Thumpalumpacus

Well, it is as I predicted. Another EU poll, this time by the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/m...bined-poll

Farage may get more votes than Tory and Labour combined. I thought as much, since the radicals are always the most likely people to move their asses to the elections. Thank you EU for making it possible that this human shitstain and his minions get another chance at obstruction on the European level.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Vera

Labour are ambivalent on Brexit and the Tories are pissing everyone off, remainers and leavers alike. So no one is going to vote for either of them except hard core party supporters.

The remainers are aware that there is a risk that the vote will be split between all the different pro EU parties allowing Farage to make big wins so campaigns have started encouraging people to vote tactically to make sure the pro EU candidates most likely to win get all the remain votes. Generally this means Lib Dem in England, the SNP in Scotland and Plaid Cymru in Wales. It's worth pointinfg out that both Labour and Tories have lost many seats in the recent local elections because the Lib Dems have won votes from remainers even though the local elections are nothing to do with Europe.

There's a well publicised web site set up giving recommendations for tactical voting in your area:

https://www.remainvoter.com/

Also:

[Image: 59999153_848628315503653_165329552398719...e=5D64BA4A]
  • Marozz, OakTree500

An altermative view to tactical voting

Why I won't be advising people to vote tactically in the European elections
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • OakTree500

In a bit of a "We're fucked then" news, here is a chap who attended a pro-brexit rally and his thoughts from speaking to people in attendance:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status...5304339456

The worst part?

Quote:I ask why they’re so sure the UK would come off better in no deal:

“Well we beat them in two world wars didn’t we?”

Me: “What’s that got to do with anything?”

Woman: “A lot. It matters a lot.”

Facepalm

Is there anybody out there, not in the UK, who has room for a English person to live in your basement? At this point, I think we might be beyond saving, knowing there are legitimately people who live here like this.

And a side note is, even IF the above was even remotely true and our "victories" in the Wars means anything: Why do people think that when in comes to negotiations, when 27 countries talk to JUST US, that our supposed "wins" over 'Them' [The ever popular, and mysterious 'Them' I might add] won't be held against us? I mean, in the real world [As an example] imagine you're hosting a job interview, and a person turns up who used to bully you in school. Yes, you shouldn't instantly fail them there an then, but you probably would......because that's what people are like. Why do people think, that because we "saved [Country name here]" or "beat [Country name here, usually 'The Germans'] in ANY war ever, that this suddenly becomes a negotiation advantage? 

Somebody please help. Our country has lost it's mind.
  • Mathilda

(05-14-2019, 09:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Somebody please help. Our country has lost it's mind.

For me the sad part is, because the EU didn't want to risk a hard brexit, we all have to suffer another helping of Farage and his minions on the European level. He will instantly ally with other rightwingers and obstruct European development. I'm sorry, but right now, my sympathy for the UK is very limited. It fucks up the European elections and the ensuing legislation before it's gone for good. And leave it will, since noone over there has the guts to revoke article 50.
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • OakTree500, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

(05-14-2019, 10:02 AM)abaris Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 09:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Somebody please help. Our country has lost it's mind.

For me the sad part is, because the EU didn't want to risk a hard brexit, we all have to suffer another helping of Farage and his minions on the European level. He will instantly ally with other rightwingers and obstruct European development. I'm sorry, but right now, my sympathy for the UK is very limited. It fucks up the European elections and the ensuing legislation before it's gone for good. And leave it will, since no-one over there has the guts to revoke article 50.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I live here and my sympathy is completely gone for my own nation. "We" as the collective have fucked this up, and sadly I don't think there are many of those who voted to leave that even know what they've done and probably won't until it's too late I imagine.

Meanwhile, tick, tick, tick....... time is wasting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48271650

Quote:Brexit: 'No significant shift' by ministers in talks, says McDonnell

With the European elections coming up, my local area has been getting leaflets through from one Tommy Robinson, to get him elected to european parliament. Features such lines as "Aren't you tired of Muslim rape gangs".

For those that don't know him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

the tl : DR is he's a massive racist, and the furthest right person that seems to be out there. I'm not sure what's worse, knowing people like this exist Or that people like this are in my local area, handing out leaflets for this clown.

(05-15-2019, 09:11 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: With the European elections coming up, my local area has been getting leaflets through from one Tommy Robinson, to get him elected to european parliament. Features such lines as "Aren't you tired of Muslim rape gangs".

For those that don't know him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

the tl : DR is he's a massive racist, and the furthest right person that seems to be out there. I'm not sure what's worse, knowing people like this exist Or that people like this are in my local area, handing out leaflets for this clown.

At least you know what your getting with Tommy Robinson, he's up front about his hard right views, unlike that slieveen bastard, Nigel Farage and some right wing Tories. The failure of council staff in the Labour run Rotherham council, to do anything in relation to the Rotherham child abuse scandal for fear they might be labelled "racist" fuels the fire in relation to "muslim rape gangs". Unfortunately mainstream politics is so fucked up in the UK' it would come as no surprise if the likes of Tommy Robinson were elected to the EU parliament.

One reporter on the news a few days ago said he'd spoken to someone who had been in the room when May was in talks with Corbyn and when asked how the discussions were going, he said that it was like watching two different species of animal trying to communicate with each other. Which obviously doesn't bode well for some sort of joint approach to this mess.

My view is that it's impossible and always will be. The problem is that the Good Friday Agreement, which is UK law, says specifically that the UK and Irish governments CANNOT set up any "border checks". The whackjobs on the right, like Adolf Rees-Mogg say, very non-chalantly, that, "of course" there are technical solutions to this so that goods can be taxed based on sensors and computers etc. However, a border check is not just for goods. How do you stop Europeans going across the border from Ireland to Northern Ireland and thence into mainland UK? There would need to be a border of some sort to stop that. So, the overwhelming majority of MPs, realizing that a hard Brexit was imposible, without erecting a border illegally or setting up border checks on the mainland and effectively writing off Northern Ireland as part of the UK, voted that there would never, ever be a hard Brexit.

So that leaves two options. Staying in the EU or leaving on a deal. Any deal means that to the extent that the UK has to accept EU legislation and comply with EU regulations ie., these "laws made by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels", the UK would have no say in the creation of these regulations. So, with a "deal" the UK ends up with less power than it has by being part of the EU and engaging in the process of making these regulations and voting for them in the EU parliament.

So, it's not going to happen, because it cannot logically and legally happen.

If anyone saw the way Parliament dealt with this dawning realisation that they had "played" themselves, I suggest that the sensation one was left with was that these were not people who should be governing anything and that if the UK left the EU, these people would be incapable of dealilng with foreign trade issues at all.
The following 2 users Like Deltabravo's post:
  • Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

Personally, and it may not be a new idea, but I think the border in Ireland will be the breaking point. When nothing else can be done to avoid that, I personally think they'll HAVE to roll back article 50 and just remain. It'll upset a lot of idiots, but in the long term, peace in Ireland is a much bigger thing that satisfying some dumbasses saying "no deal is the best deal".

I have family on both sides of the, currently imaginary, fence. My wife's side of the family comes from the republic of ireland, while I have direct family in Northern Ireland. Anybody who lived through the tough times knows it's a huge fucking mistake to forget about that, and put up a border in any shape or form.
  • Deesse23