Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Peopling of the Americas

Speak to the Quartermaster on duty.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(01-24-2020, 02:49 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Wait, what? This is from the first link in the OP.

Quote:Dig sites near the coastline on Quadra Island, where sea levels 14,300 years ago were about 650 feet above modern-day levels. By 12,000 years ago, they were within ten feet of today’s. (5W Infographics; Map Sources: Hakai Institute, University of Victoria, Daryl Fedje, Keith Holmes)

The last time sea levels were higher than the current levels was more than 100,000 years ago. 14,300 years ago the northern ice sheets were receding and sea levels were rising rapidly. So how the fuck were sea levels on the coastline of Quadra Island 650 feet above modern levels?

That seems like a mis-print.  During the Ice Age sea levels were lower, not higher.  That's how "Beringia" got exposed in the first place.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

And the land bridge between Britain and the civilized world.

(01-24-2020, 02:49 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Wait, what? This is from the first link in the OP.

Quote:Dig sites near the coastline on Quadra Island, where sea levels 14,300 years ago were about 650 feet above modern-day levels. By 12,000 years ago, they were within ten feet of today’s. (5W Infographics; Map Sources: Hakai Institute, University of Victoria, Daryl Fedje, Keith Holmes)

The last time sea levels were higher than the current levels was more than 100,000 years ago. 14,300 years ago the northern ice sheets were receding and sea levels were rising rapidly. So how the fuck were sea levels on the coastline of Quadra Island 650 feet above modern levels?

Also from the article:

Quote:But the ice sheets weighed billions of tons, and as they vanished, an immense weight was lifted from the earth’s crust, allowing it to bounce back like a foam pad. In some places, Fedje says, the coast of British Columbia rebounded more than 600 feet in a few thousand years.

Uplift is apparently the hypothesis. It makes sense. Also, remember that the West Coast of North America is geologically active. The uplift could possibly be a result of a combination: the land responding to the lack of overlying ice weight, and geological events pushing up some areas. Just a guess, nothing more.

We see the same phenomenon in SoCal, where one can find whale fossils in the coastal mountains 800 feet above current sea level.

Burgess Shale.

(01-24-2020, 06:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Burgess Shale.

500 million years old is a tad outside the scope of Min's article.

And?

(01-24-2020, 09:05 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And?

We're talking about human migrations from around eighteen to thirty thousand years ago, not five hundred million years ago, when humans, you know, hadn't even evolved. This rather renders your post irrelevant.

Or you could elaborate on your point in order to clarify the obvious mismatch. Your choice.

I was point out another instance where sea bottoms were well up in the mountains. The surface of the Earth is more motile than most people think.

(01-25-2020, 12:18 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was point out another instance where sea bottoms were well up in the mountains. The surface of the Earth is more motile than most people think.

I see. A few more words might have made your point more plain.

I'm working on a cell phone velcro'd to the underside of a bedside table with my feet one foot higher than my head. Hard to be too verbose like that.

(01-25-2020, 01:48 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'm working on a cell phone velcro'd to the underside of a bedside table with my feet one foot higher than my head. Hard to be too verbose like that.

"Surrender Dorothy"
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(01-25-2020, 06:49 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 01:48 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'm working on a cell phone velcro'd to the underside of a bedside table with my feet one foot higher than my head. Hard to be too verbose like that.

"Surrender Dorothy"

"Surrender Gaea"