Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changes on YouTube

Changes on YouTube
What's going on at YouTube? My "Favorites" file has recently disappeared. I've also been getting pop-up messages that ad blockers, which I have on my PC, will not be tolerated on YouTube. Sorry, but I feel it is my constitutional right not to have my privacy invaded by unwanted advertising, which I would be ignoring anyway. Is my account about to be terminated? Can they legally do that? What are my legal rights in this case? Has anyone here had a similar experience recently?
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • c172, Aractus, adey67

Changes on YouTube
Seems that yt wants people to either buy premium or force them to accept adds. It's nothing that can't be handled though - I simply switched browser and installed ublock Origin and things work as they did in the past.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Deesse23, Inkubus, adey67

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 02:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Seems that yt wants people to either buy premium or force them to accept adds. It's nothing that can't be handled though - I simply switched browser and installed ublock Origin and things work as they did in the past.

I'm presently using ublock Origin.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 02:24 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 02:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Seems that yt wants people to either buy premium or force them to accept adds. It's nothing that can't be handled though - I simply switched browser and installed ublock Origin and things work as they did in the past.

I'm presently using ublock Origin.

You must force it to update and problem will disappear. Go to settings choose clear cache memory (or however it will be named in english) and then you will be able to update it which will solve the issue.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Inkubus

Changes on YouTube
I was banned from youtube a couple of years ago.  It was during Covid and the bots were banning swaths of people.  I'm not sure how to get a VPN since I'm a total dolt when it comes to computers.  I'm lucky that I can type and actually post this.  Tongue 

I've never really had to use a computer much for my home business except for invoices and such, but I work with fabric and textures and the real world of three dimensional stuff so my brain doesn't work well with the virtual world of computers.
                                                         T4618

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I was banned from youtube a couple of years ago.  It was during Covid and the bots were banning swaths of people.  I'm not sure how to get a VPN since I'm a total dolt when it comes to computers.  I'm lucky that I can type and actually post this.  Tongue 

I've never really had to use a computer much for my home business except for invoices and such, but I work with fabric and textures and the real world of three dimensional stuff so my brain doesn't work well with the virtual world of computers.

VPNs aren't all that complicated. It's basically click and install. Select your server and click connect.

That being said, it might be more trouble than it's worth for just Youtube. And setting things up so that the VPN doesn't get in the way when you don't need it does take a bit of learning and bother. The biggest hurdles is that you pay through the nose unless you buy multi-year contracts. And while they all say they can fool Youtube / Netflix / Etc., it's more of a hit and miss proposition.

If I were to recommend one, Surfshark is cheap and supposedly offers some of the best spoofing for Youtube and so on. NordVPN and ExpressVPN are probably better for Youtube, but more expensive.

AFAIK, Youtube is tied to your Gmail account. If you got a new gmail account, you'd probably be able to just Youtube from the new account. But I don't know that for sure. Sometimes they age-out those things. I screwed up and got banned from a second Facebook account that I was using for an online persona (playing around with my VPN when I shouldn't have been). But a year or so later the account was unblocked. I have no idea why.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I was banned from youtube a couple of years ago.  It was during Covid and the bots were banning swaths of people.  I'm not sure how to get a VPN since I'm a total dolt when it comes to computers.  I'm lucky that I can type and actually post this.  Tongue 

Aye, VPNs can a bit of a pain to setup. Give the Tor Browser a look at.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Changes on YouTube
I accessed YouTube this morning and didn't get the "no ad blockers" message.  Huh

Changes on YouTube
I don't think I've ever seen an add on YouTube. I use adblocker Ultimate and Linux Mint but I can't see how the operating system would make a difference. 
(Shrug)

Changes on YouTube
I use AdBlock and it works perfectly with YouTube—and all other sites too.

One issue I do have with YouTube and Firefox is that it won't
leave the dark screen format on, and every time I restart
YouTube it reverts to the light screen.  Not a soul-destroying
experience I guess, but nonetheless irritating.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Changes on YouTube
The problem I have with YouTube is they don't police advertising standards well, the number of adverts for very obvious fake get rich quick Ponzi schemes is absolutely epic, hell they're even still promoting that crypto bullshit when everyone knows that's the quickest way to lose all your money.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Aractus, Gwaithmir

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 02:08 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: What's going on at YouTube? 

All I know is that it wasn't that long ago that you could watch an Ani DeFranco tune without signing in first.

But now it's an age-restricted music video, based on community standards.

Please don't let your children watch this tune. It might corrupt their impressionable little minds.

Ani DiFranco "Roll With It"

test

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 02:08 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Sorry, but I feel it is my constitutional right not to have my privacy invaded by unwanted advertising, which I would be ignoring anyway.

Too bloody right it is. Just download FireFox + uBlockOrigin + SponsorBlock. I haven't had that pop-up yet, but I have had videos not playing which a ctrl-f5 (hard refresh) fixes. Works fine on my phone though logged out all the time in FireFox with uBO.

(11-13-2023, 04:26 PM)adey67 Wrote: The problem I have with YouTube is they don't police advertising standards well, the number of adverts for very obvious fake get rich quick Ponzi schemes is absolutely epic, hell they're even still promoting that crypto bullshit when everyone knows that's the quickest way to lose all your money.

This is what I've been saying about Adsense for over a decade. No human review before ads are published.
The following 3 users Like Aractus's post:
  • adey67, Inkubus, Gwaithmir

Changes on YouTube
(11-11-2023, 06:44 PM)Inkubus Wrote:

I've never seen anyone suggest that Tor is easier than a VPN. Frankly, I didn't even know Tor was used for legal web browsing
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Changes on YouTube
(11-14-2023, 09:59 PM)Aegon Wrote: [quote="Inkubus" pid='411024' dateline='1699728297']

Quote:I've never seen anyone suggest that Tor is easier than a VPN.

Well that's hardly surprising given this:

Quote:Frankly, I didn't even know Tor was used for legal web browsing

How to use Tor browser (and why you should)

Changes on YouTube
[Image: 863so2.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Changes on YouTube
'I' thought it was pretty easy.

YMMV