Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One of the Intrinsic Paradoxes of Machoism

One of the Intrinsic Paradoxes of Machoism
The thing I find hilarious is that people who spout stuff like this rarely stop to think (guess that's not macho enough either ;-)) that anger - often to the point of aggression - is, you guessed it, an emotion as well.

I guess it doesn't really count though, as it's not a lowly, sissy, girly kind of emotion, but a real, manly one.

That stunted manchild in Rio who'd accuse me of crying to easily (imagine this, crying when supposed friends heap abuse on you) had to to go to the ER for stitches after he broke his door and cut his hand when hitting during a fight with his then bf... and was in the habit of pushing (and probably hitting) people, incl. me once... But *I* was the emotional one.

As for looking down on emotion - we so poorly understand how we even make decisions, claiming that we, personally, keep emotion out of it, is nothing but a ridiculous self-delusion.

Also, I've quoted this before, but these are the words of Rudolf Hoess, the longest-serving commandant of Auschwitz:

“I had to appear cold and indifferent to events that must have wrung the heart of anyone possessed of human feelings. I might not even look away when afraid lest my natural emotions got the upper hand. I had to watch coldly, while the mothers of laughing or crying children went to the gas chambers. On one occasion two small children were so absorbed in some game that they refused to let their mother tear them away from it. Even the Jews of the Special Detachment were reluctant to pick the children up. The imploring look in the eyes of the mother, who certainly knew what was happening is something I shall never forget. The people were already in the gas chamber and becoming restive and I had to act. Everyone was looking at me. I nodded to the junior noncommissioned officer on duty and he picked up the screaming struggling children in his arms and carried them to the gas chamber, accompanied by their mother who was weeping in the most heart rending fashion. My pity was so great that I longed to vanish from the scene; yet I might not show the slightest trace of emotion.”

Lack of emotion really will lead to a better world. For sure. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Messages In This Thread
RE: One of the Intrinsic Paradoxes of Machoism - by Vera - 05-10-2022, 12:05 PM