Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Recall Election - Tuesday

California's Recall Election is finally here on Tuesday.

Keep - 56.2%
Remove - 41.6%
Keep - +14.1%

Real Clear Politics
Remove - 41.4%
Do Not Remove - 56.4%
Do Not Remove - +15%

Looks like Newsom's going to stay governor and Larry Elder is gonna take it in the shorts,
Wednesday morning at Faux Noise is going to be fun.

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

Four "no" votes from this house. What a waste of taxpayer's money. Even if that knucklehead was elected, he'd not be able to affect much, given the Democratic makeup of the rest of state government.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, skyking

part of the fun of all this will be the post election analysis.  Will the MAGAts,be enraged enough to turn out in mass hordes?  Or Will they be discouraged by the polls and stay home?  Will the Independents and enraged Democrats show up in large numbers to make sure a loony like Elder has no possible chance of winning?

Will the polls be off? Will the pollsters be analyzing their polls to see if it offers portents for future races?  Texas holds it primaries on March 1st.  Only 169 days for now.  Politics in Texas will be intense.  Can Democrats and Independents turn Texas blue?  Texas moved its primaries to March 1 to swing national politics to the right. 

The pollsters will be watching California very carefully.

I think California's recall law needs some serious work.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Tres Leches, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, Old Man Marsh, GenesisNemesis

Quote:Will the Independents and enraged Democrats show up in large numbers to make sure a loony like Elder has no possible chance of winning?

Nobody has to show up.  California sends a mail-in ballot to every registered voter - you know, what the republiKKKunts call "fraud!" (but only when Democrats do it)

They are actually expecting a fairly low turnout on election day because of all the mail-in ballots that were already sent back in.

The Orange Fuckface will scream bloody murder to his lunatic fans.

Will a big loss cause the GOP nationwide to lament "We can't win if we keep nominating weirdos with the brains of rabid chihuahuas!"?

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Fireball

Being a Trump minion, Elder is saying (of course), if he loses, (and he will), the election is rigged.
That's great. The more of these fools that chant that line, the better. It will soon be the usual mantra, and dismissed as we are all habituated to the lie.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dom

(09-13-2021, 08:38 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Will a big loss cause the GOP nationwide to lament "We can't win if we keep nominating weirdos with the brains of rabid chihuahuas!"?

Of course not.  They are claiming it was stolen!  And it hasn't even happened yet.

But they have to tell their base of fucking morons that they are invincible and the base of fucking morons eats it up.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Dom

(09-13-2021, 10:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Being a Trump minion, Elder is saying (of course), if he loses, (and he will), the election is rigged.
That's great. The more of these fools that chant that line, the better. It will soon be the usual mantra, and dismissed as we are all habituated to the lie.

There is now a little investigation going on in Florida.  It seems the GOP paid a person to run  in a race to split the Democrat to help elect a Republican.  Rigging an election.  Naughty, naughty.

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dom, Minimalist, Kim

Quote:Republicans in Tuesday's California gubernatorial recall election are already laying the groundwork to argue the election was stolen — even before a single ballot is reported or a victor declared, an increasingly common tactic in conservative circles.

Republican Larry Elder appealed on Monday to his supporters to use an online form to report fraud, which claimed it had "detected fraud" in the "results" of the California recall election "resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor."

The only problem: On Monday when the link was live on Elder's campaign site, the election hadn't even happened yet. No results had been released. And Elder was still campaigning to replace Newsom as governor.

“Statistical analyses used to detect fraud in elections held in 3rd-world nations (such as Russia, Venezuela, and Iran) have detected fraud in California resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor,” the site reads. "The primary analytical tool used was Benford’s Law and can be readily reproduced."

The site added on Monday afternoon a disclaimer saying it was "Paid For By Larry Elder Ballot Measure Committee Recall Newsom Committee," with major funding from Elder's gubernatorial campaign.

(NBC News)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

(09-14-2021, 12:48 AM)Dānu Wrote:
Quote:Republicans in Tuesday's California gubernatorial recall election are already laying the groundwork to argue the election was stolen — even before a single ballot is reported or a victor declared, an increasingly common tactic in conservative circles.

Republican Larry Elder appealed on Monday to his supporters to use an online form to report fraud, which claimed it had "detected fraud" in the "results" of the California recall election "resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor."

The only problem: On Monday when the link was live on Elder's campaign site, the election hadn't even happened yet. No results had been released. And Elder was still campaigning to replace Newsom as governor.

“Statistical analyses used to detect fraud in elections held in 3rd-world nations (such as Russia, Venezuela, and Iran) have detected fraud in California resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor,” the site reads. "The primary analytical tool used was Benford’s Law and can be readily reproduced."

The site added on Monday afternoon a disclaimer saying it was "Paid For By Larry Elder Ballot Measure Committee Recall Newsom Committee," with major funding from Elder's gubernatorial campaign.

(NBC News)

These people should be immediately sued for suggesting fraud without evidence. Where's the lawsuit?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • KevinM1

Tomorrow is defeat day for Elder. MSNBC's Steve Kornacki is warning up his Big Board, gonna be a political junky's night.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Fireball

The race was a dead heat about a month ago (5 years ago in political-dog years). The Elder guy has already launched a voter fraud website and floated various voter fraud conspiracy theories. Nothing new to see here as far as Republican tactics go. Assuming Gov. Newsom wins, Elder will probably run again for governor in 2022 to keep his publicity up and $$ flowing.

One of the candidates is my district's state representative in the state legislature and I contacted his office a few times when I was enraged about the endless public school closures (he wanted them open, by the way... politics makes for strange bedfellows).

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(09-13-2021, 03:12 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Can Democrats and Independents turn Texas blue? 

Not any time soon, in my estimation. The redistricting we will undergo in the next year is going to managed by a solid Republican legislature. They will fight to keep this crazyquilt electoral map in order to minimize the influence of the urban areas.
On hiatus.

(09-14-2021, 12:45 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 10:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Being a Trump minion, Elder is saying (of course), if he loses, (and he will), the election is rigged.

There is now a little investigation going on in Florida.  It seems the GOP paid a person to run  in a race to split the Democrat to help elect a Republican.  Rigging an election.  Naughty, naughty.

If the Dems did that to them they'd scream as if someone held a blow torch to their balls.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

CNN projecting Newsom has defeated the recall.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Pack it up, Republicans.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(09-15-2021, 03:40 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: CNN projecting Newsom has defeated the recall.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Pack it up, Republicans.

Just got done watching that news report. Whoever started that shit ought to be made to pay the state of California that $278M.  Dodgy
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Kim

Fuckface will never stop whining.

It was a nice opportunity for Steve Kornacki on MSNBC to keep pointing out how badly he got his ass-kicked in 2020.
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

Governor Gavin Newsom was set to win more than 65% of the vote on Wednesday.
Do the Republicans have to reimburse the state for the multi-million dollar cost of their
failed recall attempt?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Kim

(09-13-2021, 08:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Will the Independents and enraged Democrats show up in large numbers to make sure a loony like Elder has no possible chance of winning?

Nobody has to show up.  California sends a mail-in ballot to every registered voter - you know, what the republiKKKunts call "fraud!" (but only when Democrats do it)

P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(09-15-2021, 10:38 AM)SYZ Wrote: Governor Gavin Newsom was set to win more than 65% of the vote on Wednesday.
Do the Republicans have to reimburse the state for the multi-million dollar cost of their
failed recall attempt?

I don't think there's a law that says they have to, but people ought to be pushing for them to do that and hang it over their heads. They should also be ridiculed for this recall attempt eternally.
  • Fireball, SYZ

If they don't support their society they should be recycled for animal feed. Or maybe something harsh. Either way...
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(09-15-2021, 01:38 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If they don't support their society they should be recycled for animal feed. Or maybe something harsh. Either way...

Soylent Green is Republicans? Would have to process out the meth, though. And the horse paste.
  • Fireball, Kim

(09-15-2021, 10:38 AM)SYZ Wrote: Governor Gavin Newsom was set to win more than 65% of the vote on Wednesday.
failed recall attempt?

No.  "That's the slovenly way these laws are always written." *

But California's recall law is a circus. It's needs to be amended.  One of the simplest ideas I heard was to have the Lieutenant Governor take over if the governor is recalled.  That would put an end to the partisan advantage of doing it because even if it succeeds the same party remains in power.

They had better do something because there are enough republiKKKunts in California to keep abusing this monstrosity of legislation.  The fucking thing was enacted in 1911 when the state had a total population of less that 2.5 million people.

* Quote stolen from Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado"
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

(09-13-2021, 09:36 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: California's Recall Election is finally here on Tuesday.

Keep - 56.2%
Remove - 41.6%
Keep - +14.1%

Real Clear Politics
Remove - 41.4%
Do Not Remove - 56.4%
Do Not Remove - +15%

Looks like Newsom's going to stay governor and Larry Elder is gonna take it in the shorts,
Wednesday morning at Faux Noise is going to be fun.

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Seems that the polls underestimated the result by a significant margin.
  • Thumpalumpacus, Cheerful Charlie