Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Do you like driving?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
42.31%
11 42.31%
Don’t mind it
23.08%
6 23.08%
No
34.62%
9 34.62%
Never learned
0%
0 0%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you like driving?

Do you like driving?
(05-15-2021, 06:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote: Does bicycle count? If so then I don't like driving.
Behavior of car drivers here would make even brave Spartans quail and sidewalks are always stuffed.

Bicycles are tricky in cities. Street are for cars; sidewalks for pedestrians. I support city bike lanes for both equality and safety.

But I am probably about to irritate you. I was a carpooler in DC from the center of the city outwards. When merely a passenger, I began to notice that most bicylists seldom obeyed any "rules of the road". This intrigued me and I began to watch them more closely. I never once observed a bicyclist follow "road rules for more than a block.

In a way, I get it. Bicycles are more manuverable and bicyclists have a 'freedom attitude". But when you ignore some laws, you can't complain too much about car-drivers and pedestrians feeling complaintive.

I routinely watched bicyclists go between lines of cars, cross against red lights, suddenly move in front of cars while they moved slower themselves, suddenly move onto sidewalks as they moved around pedestrians at high speed, etc.

I'm not against bicyclists. I'm against those who want to ignore the laws they dislike but screaming for ones that support their habits.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
(05-17-2021, 01:30 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 01:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 01:18 AM)Aliza Wrote: I hate driving! I live in Florida, so depending on where I'm located, my walk-score can vary from -5 to 3 (car dependent). Love it or hate it, driving is a must.

Driving in Florida was a very shitty experience for me. Who in their right mind gets on an Interstate onramp doing 35?

Rofl2 Last time I drove on the I95 in Florida (2017) there were signs posted for minimum speed of 40 MPH.

I shit you not, I saw an older woman regret her choice of exit lane and STOP in the middle of the lane, put her car into reverse, and resume course back on the highway. I turned to give her a dirty look and she appeared to be cursing at everyone else!
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Bcat, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

Do you like driving?
(05-15-2021, 11:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 02:49 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I DESPISE driving.  It seems a waste of time and dangerous.  There are idiots on the roads.  I'm a defensive driver.  Not to say I drive all slow or annoy other drivers (a former friend who drove taxis in NYC told me I was a "very good" driver), but I spend a lot of mental energy being aware of the cars around me.  It's exhausting.  After an hour driving, I am all worn out.

I want a Star Trek teleportation device!  Or telebooths as suggested by some writers.  Walk into your closet, arrive at your destination 500 miles away immediately.

The day will come when humans will marvel that "they" used to zoom around in their little death traps, playing the odds that others are not ill, (physically, mentally, not having a stroke, a heart attack, not having a diabetic problem of one sort or other, not drunk, not texting, not paying attention), that their vehicles were not mechanically about to fall apart. I can't count the number of people brought into the ER, having been t-boned by a truck of one sort or another, at highway speeds. Then they spend 2 months in the hospital, in ICU and the trauma units, if they even survive, and are never the same again.

The day of the a "auto"-cars has not come yet. I still drive better than an autonomous car (I'm an observant defensive driver). Maybe there will come a day when I can just lay down in the backseat and type in a destination in perfect safety, but not yet. I'm still waiting for my flying car and that hads been promised for some scores of years.
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
[Image: 10.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Do you like driving?
(05-17-2021, 02:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: We don't do snow, damn it.

I know... Believe me, I know. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

Tongue

Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

Do you like driving?
I do enjoy some driving, and look forward to driving the US with the truck and trailer.
test signature
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

Do you like driving?
(05-17-2021, 08:15 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 02:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: We don't do snow, damn it.

I know... Believe me, I know. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

Tongue

Big Grin

No one "does snow" well, But some people can deal with it.It caused me less trouble than it did most people when I was commuting.
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
Seems it's time for a reminder...

[Image: Ignore.jpg]

The only answer quoting me will ever get you.
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Szuchow

Do you like driving?
I used to HATE it, when I was learning, as I was very nervous of other drivers. These days I'm "ok" with it, I won't avoid it or anything, but at the same time if there is an option to walk I'll do that instead Smile
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
Never drove. Trains, buses, and walking where my ways of getting around. Cabs if necessary.
The following 1 user Likes Red Belt's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
I was thinking about missing persons the other day, and @Bcat was one of them. She hasn't posted in a while. I hope that she's OK.  Thumbs Up
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-16-2021, 03:34 AM)Fireball Wrote: I was thinking about missing persons the other day, and @Bcat was one of them. She hasn't posted in a while. I hope that she's OK.  Thumbs Up

Her most recent post was on the 5th. I think she lurks more than she posts these days.
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

Do you like driving?
I've driven thousands of miles just because I had the free time. Killing me right now, reaction time down, shakes, lack of concentration, all mean Boss Lady is the driving force here.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear, skyking, Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-16-2021, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I've driven thousands of miles just because I had the free time. Killing me right now, reaction time down, shakes, lack of concentration, all mean Boss Lady is the driving force here.

Driving just because you had the free time? I would pay to have a transporter to save me the annoyance of driving! My year old new car has 709 miles on it...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-16-2021, 03:34 AM)Fireball Wrote: I was thinking about missing persons the other day, and @Bcat was one of them. She hasn't posted in a while. I hope that she's OK.  Thumbs Up

I am doing well  Smile Thanks for asking about me.  GB is right, I don't come on here very often anymore, but when I do I tend to just read posts.  I hope all is well with you  Hug
The following 7 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard, Alan V, Dānu, skyking

Do you like driving?
(09-16-2021, 06:12 PM)Bcat Wrote:

I am doing well  Smile Thanks for asking about me.  GB is right, I don't come on here very often anymore, but when I do I tend to just read posts.  I hope all is well with you  Hug

Hey, looky there! I'm fine, too.  Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
Hey there Ms Bee!  Good to hear from ya mate!     Hug
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-16-2021, 06:31 PM)SYZ Wrote: Hey there Ms Bee!  Good to hear from ya mate!     Hug

*waves*  Smile  HugThank you hope you are doing well.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • SYZ

Do you like driving?
Look what the cat dragged ... uh ... a cat.

Good to see ya, hon. Hope things are swimming for you. Heart
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking, Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-17-2021, 02:51 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Look what the cat dragged ... uh ... a cat.

Good to see ya, hon. Hope things are swimming for you. Heart

Things are good and busy here, hope things are good in your neck of the woods as well  Hug
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Do you like driving?
I used to think that I liked driving, because I loved traveling in a car with my wife and children, and I was always the one driving. Now I’m thinking that maybe I would have enjoyed it as much or even more, with someone else driving.
The following 3 users Like jimhabegger's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, Bcat

Do you like driving?
Unfortunately I have a deep-seated fear of driving (pun only sort of intended). That's why I live in a large, walkable metropolitan area with solid public transportation.

I'd like to be someone who enjoys driving, it would be nice to get on the road and go somewhere scenic. But alas, the phobia is too strong for now. Plus not owning a car saves ya money.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Bcat

Do you like driving?
(09-17-2021, 11:08 AM)jimhabegger Wrote: I used to think that I liked driving, because I loved traveling in a car with my wife and children, and I was always the one driving. Now I’m thinking that maybe I would have enjoyed it as much or even more, with someone else driving.

I love a road-trip when I'm by myself. It's great me-time.

Being in a speeding cabin with others, and subject to their mercies ... not so much. The one exception would be a few years ago when I flew up to Ohio to help my sister move down here by sharing driving-duties on the moving van with her son, my nephew. He's so smart and mentally agile that the journey was a pleasure I hadn't anticipated.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, jimhabegger, skyking, Fireball

Do you like driving?
I too have difficulty as a passenger. The drivers I am most comfortable with I never get to go anywhere with. That's how it works. Blinksmiley
test signature
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus