Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?
(06-01-2021, 02:35 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 02:21 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 10:52 AM)adey67 Wrote: Did that too but he claims the million dollar challenge is fake.

It appears that you're simply wasting your time on some idiot.

Certainly looks like it, I shouldn't boast but I think I've given him a good run for his money and made him look a bit of a tit so I think I can safely withdraw with my head held high.

Your opponent will most probably decry you no matter what you will do so in my opinion quitting is best route. Head held high or not, it's irrelevant as you already are winning by refusing to waste time on some idiot or troll.

If you want my advice then remember that  time is most valuable commodity, one that can be only spent but never acquired. So it's best to not lose it on fools.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • adey67, Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir

Can anyone help?
I'm of the "You believe stupid shit and it's a waste of my time talking with you" school of thought.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • adey67

Can anyone help?
(05-31-2021, 01:31 PM)adey67 Wrote: Hi guys, 
I'm having an online exchange with someone who is defending psychic mediums by claiming that unless I visit every medium worldwide and test them I cannot say mediums are most likely not in contact with the dead. I'm not a skilled debater but I'm slowly improving and I'm pretty sure there is a logical fallacy in his premise (non sequitur) but I think there might be more than one but try as I might I can't think what it is, I've tried to work it out using information online but I'm still drawing a blank as I can't find an argument that fits. So I'd like to ask:
(1) Has he committed a non sequitur? 
(2) Has he committed any other logical fallacies using that argument?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Late to the party, but the simplest answer is that if your correspondent made the claim, it is up to him/her to prove it. The burden of denial is not on you.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • adey67

Can anyone help?
Simple answer to your issue. Just don't waste time debating
anybody who believes in so-called psychics.    End of story.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear, Bcat, adey67

Can anyone help?
(06-02-2021, 06:17 AM)SYZ Wrote: Simple answer to your issue.  Just don't waste time debating
anybody who believes in so-called psychics.     End of story.

Yeah, that too. My maternal Gramma visited a palm reader at any opportunity. Never discussed what told her (it was probably disturbingly contradictory). She was also EXTREMELY Catholic. I suspect a connection, but not debating it here. Mostly, her bad example helped my avoid such nonsense. Negative examples are also educational. Thanks, Gramma...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ

Can anyone help?
(06-02-2021, 06:17 AM)SYZ Wrote: Simple answer to your issue.  Just don't waste time debating
anybody who believes in so-called psychics.     End of story.

That's a fair point/commentary but to be fair my reason for challenging them wasn't to try and change their mind, the psychic medium industry is a multi million £$€ business and these vultures prey upon the vulnerable, grieving and those just horribly down on their luck.

These individuals are messing around with people's heads when they're not even remotely qualified to do so, they alter people's memories of their loved ones by inserting new ones that are completely false, people can also quite frequently become addicted/dependant on psychics and mediums and wind up spending thousands trying to chase that one definative message from their loved ones.

Believing in psychics especially psychic mediums is really stupid but bereavement can make people do stupid things, I remember how it felt when I lost my dad, the vulnerability I felt was overwhelming, so if my little exchange stopped just one person from wasting their money to have some scumbag rape the memories of their loved one it's been worth it.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 4 users Like adey67's post:
  • Bcat, Dancefortwo, Cavebear, SYZ

Can anyone help?
I used to think the same silly things when I was little I can try but typically these types of people get really defensive and angry as soon as you try to counter them because this "World" they've convinced themselves they're living inside is their safety net to actually entering reality and what's really happening. I can only go by experience and I'd say you'd need to teach them how to critically think for themselves and that's hard because you can't just drive into you can't think for yourself or you're gonna set off a world pool of anger and distrust. You need to figure out why they're "Afraid" of being wrong and what it is they're scared of losing and work around getting them to open up and figure out what's really going on here with themselves to get to the bigger puzzle of why their ideas are false. I don't know if that helps because without seeing the conversation it's hard to walk you through talking to someone in that mindset. I do want to clarify: Just because someone believes this doesn't make them schizophrenic there's many reasons why people decide to hide away from reality and create their own concepts of the world. However they could have a mental illness and if that's the case the problem becomes even more tricky because then it becomes how to phrase things and getting them to seek professional help without seeming offensive. - why offensive remember, how they're seeing their world right now is real to them and you're saying it's in their heads "Weather you mean to or not" that's typically the beginning "assumption" that everyone starts with.
The following 1 user Likes TristanJ's post:
  • adey67