Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3000 year old Egyptian butcher named Luwy

Archaeologists have uncovered part of the 3000 year old "Lost Golden City" in Luxor.  Apparently the Akhenaten and Nefertiti decided to move the city to Amarna so the city was abandoned and a lot of stuff was simply left when the citizens moved to the other location.  This gives archaeologists a great look at the workings of the city without all the wear and tear of continual usage over time. There's still more to uncover but here's one photo.  Note the curvy wall. 

[Image: 2021-637534851389531760-953.jpg] 

But I love the discovery of the name of an ordinary guy.  

"One of the most recent finds is a vessel containing two gallons of dried or boiled meat (about 10 kg); it has a valuable inscription: Year 37, dressed meat for the third Heb Sed festival from the slaughterhouse of the stockyard of Kha, made by the butcher luwy.

This valuable information not only gives us the names of two people that lived and worked in the city, but confirmed that the city was active at the time of King Amenhotep III’s co-regency with his son Akhenaten."

[Image: 2021-637534851852869302-286.jpg]

I don't know how to fix the size of the above quote. Grrrr!   Anyway, Luwy was a butcher and boiled meat was the go-to food for the Heb Sed festival 3000 years ago.  Who knew!   

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent...disco.aspx
                                                         T4618
The following 8 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, Peebothuhlu, Gwaithmir, abaris, GenesisNemesis

Quote:Luwy Luwy, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Luwy Luwy,, oh baby
Me gotta go

Sorry.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball

(04-09-2021, 01:16 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Luwy Luwy,, oh baby
Me gotta go

Sorry.

Don't be sorry.  The Lewie-Lewie song popped into my head almost immediately.    Nod    

The every day person from centuries past is more interesting to me than the kings, queens and pharaohs but usually we don't know the name of ordinary people.  Maybe they'll find out more about the local citzens in this small city as they uncover more of it.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(04-09-2021, 01:40 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 01:16 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Luwy Luwy,, oh baby
Me gotta go

Sorry.

Don't be sorry.  The Lewie-Lewie song popped into my head almost immediately.    Nod    

The every day person from centuries past is more interesting to me than the kings, queens and pharaohs but usually we don't know the name of ordinary people.  Maybe they'll find out more about the local citzens in this small city as they uncover more of it.

Girly says you need to ground your references:

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dancefortwo, skyking, Gwaithmir

It's easy to forget that all the Joes and Jills of the world have always been around. We look at these ancient kingdoms as monolithic, when in reality they were made up largely of ordinary humans just as our modern countries are today.

I bet if Luwy were alive today, he'd be sending out via DoorDash too. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

I bet he made some good barbecue.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

20 odd years ago, Richard Carrier wrote an amusing essay called "Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire"

https://infidels.org/library/modern/rich...kooks.html

which was designed to show us what a gullible bunch of schmucks lived in the first century AD and to let us feel superior to them.  Then along came Facebook and FOX NEWS and the next thing you know a significant portion of our population was demonstrating that they were every bit as gullible as the first century schmucks.

If Luwy was alive today he'd probably be an anti-vaxxer refusing to wear a mask.

(04-09-2021, 03:44 AM)Minimalist Wrote: 20 odd years ago, Richard Carrier wrote an amusing essay called "Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire"

https://infidels.org/library/modern/rich...kooks.html

which was designed to show us what a gullible bunch of schmucks lived in the first century AD and to let us feel superior to them.  Then along came Facebook and FOX NEWS and the next thing you know a significant portion of our population was demonstrating that they were every bit as gullible as the first century schmucks.

If Luwy was alive today he'd probably be an anti-vaxxer refusing to wear a mask.

We like to think we're brilliant with our technology and such, but Eratosthenes figured out the circumference of the Earth to within 10% of true measure without anything other than smarts.

Maybe if Luwy were alive today, he'd be working on Impossible meat? Geniuses and dumbasses come in every era.

Or, as they said in a movie one time:

On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking, Dancefortwo

It's possible that the oldest name ever recorded is not a king or monarch but an accountant.  He was someone who was counting barley bundles   His name was "Kishum".  It's on this cuneiform tablet from 3000 BCE. The name is that kite looking thing on the upper left side with the rib marks in it.  

[Image: KPIPVNoutBRyRypL3XVF5g_5bg_Njk6Vnmtn0Oy0...KTYhEB9EwQ]

https://historycollection.com/first-pers...name-know/
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(04-09-2021, 01:45 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 01:40 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 01:16 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Sorry.

Girly says you need to ground your references:

I was a disc jockey on WCBK Radio (Wentworth's Collegiate Broadcasting King) during the spring of 1968. I hosted The Red Baron Show. Louie-Louie was my sign off song.  Thumbs Up
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(04-09-2021, 05:54 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: It's possible that the oldest name ever recorded is not a king or monarch but an accountant.  He was someone who was counting barley bundles   His name was "Kishum".  It's on this cuneiform tablet from 3000 BCE. The name is that kite looking thing on the upper left side with the rib marks in it.  

[Image: KPIPVNoutBRyRypL3XVF5g_5bg_Njk6Vnmtn0Oy0...KTYhEB9EwQ]

https://historycollection.com/first-pers...name-know/

lol, @Minimalist has some competition, that old fuck.
On hiatus.

Fucking cuneiform was tough on the eyes........

Follow up article

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/eg...index.html

Quote:A group of archaeologists has found the largest ancient city ever discovered in Egypt, dating back 3,000 years.
The city, named "The Rise of Aten," was discovered under the sand on the western bank of Luxor, lead archaeologist Zahi Hawass said in a statement.
It dates to the reign of King Amenhotep III, who ruled Egypt between 1391 and 1353 BCE, according to the statement.
"It was the largest administrative and industrial settlement in the era of the Egyptian empire," Hawass said.
Archaeologists found the "city's streets flanked by houses," with intact walls up to 10 feet high and "rooms filled with tools of daily life ... left by the ancient residents as if it were yesterday," such as rings, colored pottery vessels, casting molds to make amulets, pots used to carry meat, and tools for spinning, weaving and metal and glass-making.

Quote:The team found an inscription dating back to 1337 BCE, which confirms the city was active during the reign of Amenhotep III's son, Akhenaten.

Historians believe that one year after the pot was made the city was abandoned and the capital moved to Amarna, 250 miles to the north, but the reasons for doing so remain unknown, according to the statement.

Akhenaten -- giving religious fanatics a bad name for 3,500 years!
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Another follow up article.

https://theconversation.com/the-discover...ypt-158874

Quote:Ancient Egypt has been called the “civilisation without cities”. What we know about it comes mostly from tombs and temples, whilst other great civilisations of the Bronze Age, such as Mesopotamia, are famous for their great cities.

The Dazzling Aten is extraordinary not only for its size and level of prosperity but also its excellent state of preservation, leading many to call it the “Pompeii of Ancient Egypt”.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(04-14-2021, 07:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Another follow up article.

https://theconversation.com/the-discover...ypt-158874

Quote:Ancient Egypt has been called the “civilisation without cities”. What we know about it comes mostly from tombs and temples, whilst other great civilisations of the Bronze Age, such as Mesopotamia, are famous for their great cities.

The Dazzling Aten is extraordinary not only for its size and level of prosperity but also its excellent state of preservation, leading many to call it the “Pompeii of Ancient Egypt”.

I never gave it any thought, but yeah, most of what one sees of Ancient Egypt are from tombs, pyramids and some large temples.  There aren't any great cities unearthed and as the article says the Nile is flooded every year so cities and communities with buildings couldn't be erected along side that large river even though so much activity was going on there.    Thanks for the link, Min.

ETA: I'm really entranced by that snaky wall in the photo. I wonder if it was painted with some color. Maybe a white coating of some sort.
                                                         T4618

Most ancient buildings were painted.

The Pantheon as it appears, today.

resim

The Pantheon facade as it appeared in antiquity after microscopic inspection of the traces of paint remaining.

[Image: main-qimg-da4beca32924163ade840b60428c3d8f]