Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chill the fuck out, everyone!

Yeah, J/K mostly.  Boy these long pandemics are pretty damned hard on human relations.  Not just here on the forums but in RL too.  People are edgy.  Here, you have a bunch of old people who by all rights should be placated by younger people in RL.  But put us together like this and its "fuck you and everyone who looks like you".  I feel it too.

Yesterday, for the first time I took my younger dog for an extra work out off leash in the park next door when I saw the center of the field was not in use.  So I started throwing for him and pretty soon a woman came running to me telling me I wasn't respecting the other people in the park and should leash him at once.  I said okay, we'll leave.  I turned around and he fell in behind me as walked across the bridge toward our back gate.  She followed us the whole way yelling shrilly that I had to leash him while not maintaining social to me.  Horrible experience and one I won't risk repeating.  Just one session a day at dawn from now on. 

I kept thinking how absurd it was when I'm as pro masking and distancing as anyone.  But I never rage at anyone who fails to mask when passing.  What would be the point?  I harbor no expectation that people must comport themselves to please me or follow the law to a standard of my choosing.  Same goes for what people write here.  Disagree?  Not my problem, though I may lose interest in interacting with some at least for a while.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 6 users Like Mark's post:
  • Aliza, Dom, M.Linoge, Little Lunch, Deesse23, SYZ

Quote: She followed us the whole way yelling shrilly that I had to leash him while not maintaining social to me. 

That seems like a pretty appropriate time for a "FUCK YOU, YOU STUPID BITCH" comment, actually.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Aliza, Mark

(08-30-2020, 10:36 PM)Mark Wrote:   But I never rage at anyone who fails to mask when passing.  What would be the point?  

So........... I should stop raising my mask and spitting them?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Mark

If the law says you're supposed to have the dog on a leash, then put it on a leash.
The law is not for everyone except you.
Some people, who have every bit the right as you do to use the park, are afraid of dogs.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat

(08-30-2020, 10:36 PM)Mark Wrote:   But I never rage at anyone who fails to mask when passing. 

Well no, I don't do that in public because then they'll probably start yelling at me and getting their spit everywhere on me/others. Might even attack me, who knows.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Mark

If they're not social-distancing, how much do they really care about all for one and one for all?

Dogs in public should be leashed. Some people, too.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

(08-30-2020, 11:02 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If they're not social-distancing, how much do they really care about all for one and one for all?

Dogs in public should be leashed. Some people, too.

Sometimes the people need to be leashed more so than the dogs.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • Minimalist, Mark, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Deesse23, Full Circle, Bcat

(08-30-2020, 10:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: She followed us the whole way yelling shrilly that I had to leash him while not maintaining social to me. 

That seems like a pretty appropriate time for a "FUCK YOU, YOU STUPID BITCH" comment, actually.

I confess I was very tempted but feel good that I didn’t.  Afterall she at least was in favor of following restrictions.  I’m glad I didn’t escalate it.  ( Not that I’d ever want to socialize with that bitch.)
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • M.Linoge

(08-30-2020, 10:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: If the law says you're supposed to have the dog on a leash, then put it on a leash.
Some people, who have every bit the right as you do to use the park, are afraid of dogs.

I suppose.  But the ordinance is temporary for the pandemic.  Normally one gets to make that call on a individual basis.  This dog has no interest in approaching anyone, not even for food.  Hell no one could call him to them if they tried.
F. D.

(08-30-2020, 10:36 PM)Mark Wrote: I kept thinking how absurd it was when I'm as pro masking and distancing as anyone.  But I never rage at anyone who fails to mask when passing.  What would be the point?  

Catharsis, probably. For some people the only way to relieve stress is to take it out on strangers.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • mordant

(08-31-2020, 12:00 AM)Mark Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: If the law says you're supposed to have the dog on a leash, then put it on a leash.

I suppose.  But the ordinance is temporary for the pandemic.  Normally one gets to make that call on a individual basis.  This dog has no interest in approaching anyone, not even for food.  Hell no one could call him to them if they tried.

Sure, but strangers who are dog-phobic don't know that.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Full Circle, Bcat

(08-31-2020, 12:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

On the other side there should be some reward for having a well behaved/trained pooch.  I'm sympathetic and most often I would have him on leash.  It is only when he is in work mode that he becomes bullet proof from all distraction.

It is one of many lines we have to negotiate between inhibiting our desires out of regard for the fears of others.  I don't think the shrill one was dog phobic as she had no problem approaching both of us.  If he were a different dog I'd've had to leash him just to counteract her provocation.
F. D.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(08-31-2020, 12:03 AM)M.Linoge Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:36 PM)Mark Wrote: I kept thinking how absurd it was when I'm as pro masking and distancing as anyone.  But I never rage at anyone who fails to mask when passing.  What would be the point?  

Catharsis, probably. For some people the only way to relieve stress is to take it out on strangers.

Yep but I find it isn't really cathartic in any lasting way but just winds me up more, ratcheting up the blood pressure at the same time.
F. D.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(08-31-2020, 12:25 AM)Mark Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 12:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 12:00 AM)Mark Wrote: I suppose.  But the ordinance is temporary for the pandemic.  Normally one gets to make that call on a individual basis.  This dog has no interest in approaching anyone, not even for food.  Hell no one could call him to them if they tried.

On the other side there should be some reward for having a well behaved/trained pooch.  I'm sympathetic and most often I would have him on leash.  It is only when he is in work mode that he becomes bullet proof from all distraction.

It is one of many lines we have to negotiate between inhibiting our desires out of regard for the fears of others.  I don't think the shrill one was dog phobic as she had no problem approaching both of us.  If he were a different dog I'd've had to leash him just to counteract her provocation.

Just offering a generality, of course I don't know the specifics.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark

(08-31-2020, 12:27 AM)Mark Wrote:

Yep but I find it isn't really cathartic in any lasting way but just winds me up more, ratcheting up the blood pressure at the same time.

Same. But so many seems to like it anyway.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Mark

I have to deal with folks who refuse to mask on a daily basis. I've gone from trying to enforce what county edict says to simply saying "I can't serve you if you don't have a mask." It's not in my hands.

It seems to work better. It sure does for me; I refuse to get angry about these guys -- I just stand on the fine we can receive. It offshores the problem and redirects their anger.

It doesn't hurt that we're only 30 miles from the governor's mansion. I invite the recalcitrant to protest there rather than my store.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Mark

"They" have no way of knowing anything about your particualr dog.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

@Mark When an ill tempered off leash dog charges Smokey you might think different about leash policies. The woman screaming could have been a prior victim.
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Mark, Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

(08-31-2020, 12:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 12:03 AM)M.Linoge Wrote: Catharsis, probably. For some people the only way to relieve stress is to take it out on strangers.

I have to deal with folks who refuse to mask on a daily basis. I've gone from trying to enforce what county edict says to simply saying "I can't serve you if you don't have a mask." It's not in my hands.

It seems to work better. It sure does for me; I refuse to get angry about these guys -- I  just stand on the fine we can receive. It offshores the problem and redirects their anger.

It doesn't hurt that we're only 30 miles from the governor's mansion. I invite the recalcitrant to protest there rather than my store.

I have a problem with why the belligerent pud-knocker who goes in the store with no mask isn't the one getting the fine, personally. I overheard one of my knuckle-head neighbors bragging about calling out a tracer-person when he went into a local store (with no mask on).  Dodgy He flew to Texas to visit his aging, ailing dad and told me about how people are sitting on every bar stool in the bar he went to. I asked him if he knew that Texas now has the highest increase in Covid. He just kind of looked at me strange. Ima have to stay away from those guys. They can macho all they want, but I don't want any part of it. I'm going to check into getting a flu shot, and am going to see if I can get my antibodies checked, just for grins.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Mark, Thumpalumpacus

Good plan, Fireball. No need to adopt their risks.
I do need to chill out, Mark. I have been a bit wound up. Thank you for the reminder.
I met one of those no mask trump-shirted assholes just outside the store on my way out, and I did hold my tongue. I had seen no one inside like that, thankfully.
The following 4 users Like skyking's post:
  • Mark, Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

(08-31-2020, 01:36 AM)brewerb Wrote: @Mark When an ill tempered off leash dog charges Smokey you might think different about leash policies. The woman screaming could have been a prior victim.

I've been walking them off leash in parks that permit that for a long time.  So far, so good.  Haven't met any vicious ones so far.  My biggest challenges have been Fletcher and Heidi fixate on bikes as a herding challenge.  The solution is/was to only walk them off leash where bikes are not allowed.  Smokey is super easy though I do have to tell people no, he won't want you to pat him.  If they move in too quickly he'll tell them but he really doesn't want physical contact from dogs or people.  (I still think there must be such a thing as doggy autism.)  Heidi no longer walks off leash anywhere as I have to keep her pace down so she'll use the knee that was operated on and so she doesn't over do it in general.
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Chas

(08-31-2020, 02:08 AM)Mark Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 01:36 AM)brewerb Wrote: @Mark When an ill tempered off leash dog charges Smokey you might think different about leash policies. The woman screaming could have been a prior victim.

I've been walking them off leash in parks that permit that for a long time.  So far, so good.  Haven't met any vicious ones so far.  My biggest challenges have been Fletcher and Heidi fixate on bikes as a herding challenge.  The solution is/was to only walk them off leash where bikes are not allowed.  Smokey is super easy though I do have to tell people no, he won't want you to pat him.  If they move in too quickly he'll tell them but he really doesn't want physical content from dogs or people.  (I still think there must be such a thing as doggy autism.)  Heidi no longer walks off leash anywhere as I have to keep her pace down so she'll use the knee that was operated on and so she doesn't over do it in general.

Were you in an off leash park?

(08-31-2020, 02:09 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 02:08 AM)Mark Wrote:

I've been walking them off leash in parks that permit that for a long time.  So far, so good.  Haven't met any vicious ones so far.  My biggest challenges have been Fletcher and Heidi fixate on bikes as a herding challenge.  The solution is/was to only walk them off leash where bikes are not allowed.  Smokey is super easy though I do have to tell people no, he won't want you to pat him.  If they move in too quickly he'll tell them but he really doesn't want physical content from dogs or people.  (I still think there must be such a thing as doggy autism.)  Heidi no longer walks off leash anywhere as I have to keep her pace down so she'll use the knee that was operated on and so she doesn't over do it in general.

Were you in an off leash park?

No, not yesterday.  The park behind our place is just a generic sort of park.  We are not allowed off leash there, though it has been a defacto dog park for a long time.  All during the pandemic I've been going at dawn with no problem and that will be our policy going forward now.
F. D.
  • brewerb

I get why Mark is upset. I had a guy get in my face and call me a stupid cunt because I was wearing a mask and gloves and tried to avoid getting near him. It is very upsetting to have all kinds of anger unleashed on you for no reason.

The dog wasn't bothering the lady, and was heeling without leash. She had to run after them and spew hate.

Yes, if it's illegal, it's illegal. But that woman didn't have to run after him and spew insults as he heeled his dog away. This spewing of hate is getting common place, even here on our forum. 

I find that very unsettling, the whole society is going down into the swamp with trump, like it or not.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 8 users Like Dom's post:
  • Mark, Fireball, skyking, M.Linoge, Deesse23, brewerb, Full Circle, LastPoet

(08-31-2020, 01:43 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 12:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 12:27 AM)Mark Wrote: Yep but I find it isn't really cathartic in any lasting way but just winds me up more, ratcheting up the blood pressure at the same time.

It seems to work better. It sure does for me; I refuse to get angry about these guys -- I  just stand on the fine we can receive. It offshores the problem and redirects their anger.

I have a problem with why the belligerent pud-knocker who goes in the store with no mask isn't the one getting the fine, personally. I overheard one of my knuckle-head neighbors bragging about calling out a tracer-person when he went into a local store (with no mask on).  Dodgy He flew to Texas to visit his aging, ailing dad and told me about how people are sitting on every bar stool in the bar he went to. I asked him if he knew that Texas now has the highest increase in Covid. He just kind of looked at me strange. Ima have to stay away from those guys. They can macho all they want, but I don't want any part of it. I'm going to check into getting a flu shot, and am going to see if I can get my antibodies checked, just for grins.

Yeah, the fine for being unmasked here is a couple of hundred dollars, compared to my store catching a $1000 fine for flouting the edict. It's unbalanced; the recalcitrant should get the same fine my store does, imo.

Both our local watering-holes out here in the sticks are shut down; one by owner's decision (she's the widow of Willie's late road-manager, has the money to ride it out), and the other recently shut down again, I'm assuming for a staff infection (no pun intended).

Most out here are pretty good about things, but it's the loudmouth with a grudge what shits in my punchbowl. If a mask is that much an issue, stay the hell home, says I. You think you got it bad, asshole? I have to wear this thing 48 hours a week. Cry me a fucking river while you work from home, as I see 200 customers a day, you pobrecito.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Fireball, skyking, M.Linoge