Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Simple question
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
80.95%
17 80.95%
Yes
19.05%
4 19.05%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you personally know someone who has C-19 or who has died from it?

Just curious.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

No. I however know quite a few people who want further restrictions on everything to "fight" with C-19.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

No, but I have a friend who is a respiratory therapist at Oregon Health Science University who is working with Covid 19 patients.  He hasn't said anything about it on facebook for almost 3 weeks.  I don't think he's supposed to talk about it on facebook.  I think the hospital has rules or something because normally he's a pretty chatty guy.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking, Dom, Aroura

Yup.
A few nurses. One set of them are married. The wife works in ICU, and she most likely exposed her hubby.
They are both on the mend .. but he's really traumatized. We thought I was also exposed from him, as we were preparing for a regulatory visit.
I was lucky, (or I may have had a "light case" and didn't know it ... eventually when tests are widely available, I'll be tested.) I think a different nurse I work with had it before anyone realized what was happening. She was hacking and coughing for two weeks before the regulatory visit. The two "regulatory" surveyors were from the deep South ... they may have brought it to us.

I've heard of others in the big place I work that may have had it.
For sure I know a couple, .. she being the sweetest lady in the hospital.
Her husband is still on a vent, but improving daily, and she is coming back to work soon.

My cousins in Minnesota know people that work in hospitals in Minneapolis. Looks like they are doing a good job of social distancing up there. Their "surge" never happened, and their hospitals did a great job of planning and coordinating. Because they cancelled all elective procedures and because people are afraid of Emergency rooms, their hospital censuses are actually low normal. Their Health Department thinks an unintended consequence is going to be that people who really are/were having heart attacks and strokes are not going in as they should, and they will have long term poor outcomes, as they weren't treated in a timely manner.
Test
The following 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Deesse23, Aroura, brewerb, Dancefortwo, Tres Leches, Bcat

No. But one of my family members is a nurse who is currently dealing with the overflow of patients from NY in an NJ hospital. Another one of my family members is also a nurse, who is extremely concerned about it as well (she is in Canada and self-quarantining, because it's a rule for nurses who are returning from travel). I prefer to listen to the nurses, because they actually have an idea of how serious the situation is, rather than just us random people who are just sitting behind keyboards all day.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, Aroura, Thumpalumpacus, adey67, Bcat

Poll this again in May and I'm betting answers will change
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 5 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Aroura, GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, adey67

Not 100% sure -- a couple of people I know came back from a trip feeling a bit off, and self-isolated immediately, but haven't heard if they got a positive diagnosis.

That you are hearing from them is good.

(04-07-2020, 05:43 PM)Aegon Wrote: Poll this again in May and I'm betting answers will change

I'm no expert but it seems to me it's very evident it's hitting the bigger metropolitan cities and both coasts first.   Then it's going to spiral out from Louisanna and Atlanta, Georgia in all directions and across the less populated countryside. The flyover states will begin to see it in the smaller towns in a months or so.   Midwestern farmers will be the last to get the virus and isolated farmers in Wyoming will be the very last.... because they kinda live on another planet.  It think this pandemic will go on for several months until it peters out in the fall.  That's just a simple guess on my part.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Even if things improve regarding the virus, repairing the economic and societal damage will take considerably longer than it takes for the outbreak to subside.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(04-07-2020, 08:16 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 05:43 PM)Aegon Wrote: Poll this again in May and I'm betting answers will change

I'm no expert but it seems to me it's very evident it's hitting the bigger metropolitan cities and both coasts first.   Then it's going to spiral out from Louisanna and Atlanta, Georgia in all directions and across the less populated countryside. The flyover states will begin to see it in the smaller towns in a months or so.   Midwestern farmers will be the last to get the virus and isolated farmers in Wyoming will be the very last.... because they kinda live on another planet.  It think this pandemic will go on for several months until it peters out in the fall.  That's just a simple guess on my part.

My mother was already considering going to a concert in June if it doesn't get cancelled. I have no idea why people think it's going to end that soon.  Dodgy
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

At the moment it’s friends of friends.  For example, a French friend who has stayed with us a couple of times..her father and her son both have it.
god, ugh

Not to my knowledge at this time. No doubt that'll change. Travis County is up to 550 cases and seven deaths.
On hiatus.

No, and I believe that the stay-at-home order in my state has something to do with that.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • skyking

Nobody actively infected in my life. One of my loyal FB gamer friends, in the Netherlands, did pass away from it, but no one closer than that.
Is this sig thing on?

@Red Belt is in the New York City area, although I haven't seen him here in a few months. He's posted quite a few photos of the Big Apple here. I just sent him a message, hoping he's ok.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Fireball

According to my town’s government page, as of April 6 at 5:30 p.m., there are 117 cases, with 21 recovered and off surveillance protocols.  It is possible that I know one of these people but don’t know that they have this.  No deaths so far.  

My town has a population of about 35,000, so in the grand scheme of things, 117 doesn’t seem too bad.
god, ugh

The cousins have a page called "Called Home", euphemism for kicking the bucket. Last four deaths show cause as "God's mercy", another euphemism. Their nightly prayer meetings are going to raise the collective IQ of Arkansas.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

One of my husband's students just emailed him that she has C 19.  She's at home with mild symptoms and confined to her bedroom.  Her parents leave a tray of food for her in front of her door and then make themselves scarce.  I'm not sure how they pick up the tray after she's finished eating.  Maybe they wear a hazmat suit or something.  She seemed to be in good humor and upbeat but then she's 16.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, Alan V

Thankfully no.

(04-09-2020, 12:05 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: One of my husband's students just emailed him that she has C 19.  She's at home with mild symptoms and confined to her bedroom.  Her parents leave a tray of food for her in front of her door and then make themselves scarce.  I'm not sure how they pick up the tray after she's finished eating.  Maybe they wear a hazmat suit or something.  She seemed to be in good humor and upbeat but then she's 16.
Paper plates and plastic utensils.

A cousin is throwing bags out her window into a dumpster just before the truck arrives. Dubious system but that's what we have.

Nobody in our little town in South Gippsland has yet been infected.

There are 980 confirmed cases in metropolitan Melbourne (population 5.2 million)
and 225 in regional Victoria, that is, outside of the greater Melbourne region.

None of my immediate family (geographically distant from me) have been infected.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Sort of - I don't know the person myself, but they were friends with my father.

He went into our local hospital for treatment for a pre-existing issue, then caught it while he was in there and sadly passed away. I don't know of anybody else who has it in our town, but I presume others must do for him to have caught it in the hospital.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • SYZ, skyking, Bcat

Four more unexplained deaths in the cousins. I suspect unreported demisals.

(04-09-2020, 09:04 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Sort of - I don't know the person myself, but they were friends with my father.

He went into our local hospital for treatment for a pre-existing issue, then caught it while he was in there and sadly passed away. I don't know of anybody else who has it in our town, but I presume others must do for him to have caught it in the hospital.

Whelp, I speak too soon - just been informed a good friend of mine and his partner have it. [She is nurse, so most likely picked it up in the hospital, then passed it onto him as well].

They are both fit and healthy so nothing they, hopefully, can't handle but still not the news I wanted today.