Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlantic - Why Did America Lose It's Religion?

(10-05-2019, 01:21 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-conten...roquiz.pdf

Stephen Prothero's religious quiz which he uses to test his student's religious knowledge.  How well would you do?

Rust as I am, I would have done quite well on it, especially compared to average / bell curve.

I am therefore probably a typical atheist -- I know religion generally and Christianity specifically better than most theists.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Gwaithmir, grympy

(10-05-2019, 03:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 01:21 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-conten...roquiz.pdf

Stephen Prothero's religious quiz which he uses to test his student's religious knowledge.  How well would you do?

I got 12 of 15 right.  Shy

I got 15 of 15. I wouldn't have gotten the 4 Nobel Truths right, except for reading the original texts this last summer. 
Also I doubt I ever actually "read" the Bible,  ... ever, just to read it. My exposure was either academic "sections"/"topics", or church when I was very young.
I knew about the Kama Sutra ... but I never knew it was "scripture". LOL Christianity needs one of those. Jesus teaches you how to fuck.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ, Gwaithmir

(10-05-2019, 03:31 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

I got 12 of 15 right.  Shy

i didn't take it, but glancing over it, it seemed like softballs for the most part.
On hiatus.

(10-05-2019, 10:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: LOL Christianity needs one of those. Jesus teaches you how to fuck.

Dude needs to stay the Hell outta my bedroom, that's just ... I don't know ...
On hiatus.

(10-01-2019, 05:22 PM)Drich Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 07:17 PM)SYZ Wrote: I can see we're dealing here with a religious sociopath who seems blinded to actual, accredited statistical data...

Moron the statistical data you provided is FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY! THE OFFICIAL DATA FOR THIS COUNTRY COMES OUT IN A YEAR!

I was pleased to see an article in my morning paper about a couple of towns in Queensland where religion
is dying faster than the rest of Australia.

The 2016 Census showed 43% of people in Eumundi identified as having "no-religion" making the town
one of the most godless suburbs in Queensland, and even better, Mt Nebo near Brisbane recorded a
"no-religion" count at 54% making it the highest.

I'm sure this will elicit another angry ad hominem  from Drich.      Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Gwaithmir, brunumb, Cheerful Charlie, grympy

I didn't notice that Bich was still here.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

America never had a religion.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

(10-06-2019, 02:15 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: America never had a religion.

And that's different from "Americans never had a religion."

(10-05-2019, 06:38 PM)mordant Wrote:

Rust as I am, I would have done quite well on it, especially compared to average / bell curve.

I am therefore probably a typical atheist -- I know religion generally and Christianity specifically better than most theists.

Me too. I think it's classic example of "familiarity breeds contempt"

And "Rust Never Sleeps".

(09-26-2019, 08:22 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The obvious question for anybody who spends at least two seconds looking at the graph above is: What the hell happened around 1990?

Late to the party.

The biggest reason for this was the creation of the World Wall of Why (WWW).  The internet has been around since 1969.  For those old like me, they may well remember the days of the BBS's and FidoNet.

When Tim Berners-Lee invented HTML and the WWW in the early mid-90s, anyone who knew how to look for the information could find information.  The biggest downfall to religion was the building of smart-PADDs and smart-phones.  Social media has also been the biggest downfall for religion.  People actually started realizing that ALL religion is nothing more than bullshit lies for those men with megalomaniacal psychotic sociopathic tendencies to control the masses.

What is church attendance down to now?  The lack of church attendance is the reason you see so many small churches going bankrupt leaving only mega-churches to get bigger.  Without an audience, those megalomaniacal psychotic sociopaths, misnomered as Pastors, etc., have had to conglomerate the people into larger and larger buildings just so they can say, "See how big our church has grown?" without also posting the fact that attendance has risen by 3,000,000 without also posting the fact that overall attendance dropped 8,000,000.

Basically, with the rise of the "internet" (which is actually the backbone of the WWW), persons can actually look up news articles that show how religion is Pure Evil, ALL lies, no substance.  Many of those "nones" are also reading those books by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, etc., etc., etc. on their eBook readers.

Think Critically about this.

rmfr
It shall always be more important to know how to think rather than to be told what to think - rmfr

And the WWW is also a conduit for the stupid.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • mordant

(10-06-2019, 09:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 05:22 PM)Drich Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 07:17 PM)SYZ Wrote: I can see we're dealing here with a religious sociopath who seems blinded to actual, accredited statistical data...

Moron the statistical data you provided is FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY! THE OFFICIAL DATA FOR THIS COUNTRY COMES OUT IN A YEAR!

I was pleased to see an article in my morning paper about a couple of towns in Queensland where religion
is dying faster than the rest of Australia.

The 2016 Census showed 43% of people in Eumundi identified as having "no-religion" making the town
one of the most godless suburbs in Queensland, and even better, Mt Nebo near Brisbane recorded a
"no-religion" count at 54% making it the highest.

I'm sure this will elicit another angry ad hominem  from Drich.      Big Grin

Now THAT'S fascinating, perhaps I've misunderstood for all these years:  I've long  thought of Queensland  as  the 'deep north'  and our bible belt. Politically very conservative  and the home of a disproportionate number of scams and  crooked schemes.  Also a lot of retirees on The Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise.

I was trying to decide where to post this ... I guess here is as good as anywhere.

It's from a guy's blog- he discusses an interview with Pope Francis that seems fairly common sense, to me. I guess it blew this guy's mind.

Quote: ...."When I had the chance of discussing these sentences, Pope Francis told me: 'They are the proven proof that Jesus of Nazareth, once having become a man, was, though a man of exceptional virtues, not at all a God.'".

Maybe there are a few who are trying to at least progress things, from the inside. Shy

(10-07-2019, 06:57 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And the WWW is also a conduit for the stupid.

What was it Redd said in that prison movie? Oh yeah...

"Ain't that the god damn truth!"

rmfr
It shall always be more important to know how to think rather than to be told what to think - rmfr

(10-10-2019, 09:05 PM)arakish Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 06:57 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And the WWW is also a conduit for the stupid.

What was it Redd said in that prison movie?  Oh yeah...

"Ain't that the god damn truth!"

rmfr
Don't know that movie offhand.

(10-10-2019, 09:25 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Don't know that movie offhand.

Shawshank Redemption

rmfr

Never seen it.

(10-10-2019, 09:27 PM)arakish Wrote: rmfr

What's this mean? The only acronym I could find was rocky mountain feline rescue. Any connection?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(10-11-2019, 08:51 AM)SYZ Wrote:

What's this mean?  The only acronym I could find was rocky mountain feline rescue.  Any connection?

There was a poster back on the Amazon forums who put something like that at the end of his posts to make it easier to do a search for them later.
No gods necessary

What's this mean?  The only acronym I could find was rocky mountain feline rescue.  Any connection?

"Remotely monitored flexibility requirement"?   hobo

My initials. And yes, my middle names are "MF" Tongue

Just a thing I have been doing on forum boards since 1983.

rmfr
The following 1 user Likes arakish's post:
  • SYZ

(10-11-2019, 12:11 PM)brunumb Wrote:

There was a poster back on the Amazon forums who put something like that at the end of his posts to make it easier to do a search for them later.

WOW~! Never thought of that, but yeah.

rmfr

(10-11-2019, 01:11 PM)Alan V Wrote:

"Remotely monitored flexibility requirement"?   hobo

girl blushing Thumbs Up Whistling Dance

ROFLMAO

rmfr
The following 1 user Likes arakish's post:
  • Alan V