Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Deep Quotes

Favorite Deep Quotes
(10-19-2019, 01:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature." (Alfred North Whitehead)  Consider

Not quite; I've also read the Q'uran and some of  the Indian sacred writings.  Can't remember finding anything funny in any of them either. 

Strange.  Considering Jesus' upbringing and backgrounds of his apostles, I've always  thought they would have had an earthy sense of humour. They would have spent many nights outdoors, probably huddled  around a fire, feeling tired and bored . I reckon  Jesus  would have enjoyed hearing  and telling fart jokes.

There is theological evidence  which supports this view;  Christians claim Jesus was wholly man and wholly god . If wholly man, he should have had a sense  of humour, surely.  Consider     

I have noticed that  proselytising Christians tend to be a dour bunch. No wonder when one considers their book of instructions. Tongue Tongue
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Cavebear

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: 81124022_2509250025977164_10285219172266...e=5EB36F92]

Favorite Deep Quotes
(10-19-2019, 09:42 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 01:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature." (Alfred North Whitehead)  Consider

Not quite; I've also read the Q'uran and some of  the Indian sacred writings.  Can't remember finding anything funny in any of them either. 

Strange.  Considering Jesus' upbringing and backgrounds of his apostles, I've always  thought they would have had an earthy sense of humour. They would have spent many nights outdoors, probably huddled  around a fire, feeling tired and bored . I reckon  Jesus  would have enjoyed hearing  and telling fart jokes.

There is theological evidence  which supports this view;  Christians claim Jesus was wholly man and wholly god . If wholly man, he should have had a sense  of humour, surely.  Consider     

I have noticed that  proselytising Christians tend to be a dour bunch. No wonder when one considers their book of instructions. Tongue Tongue

Jesus:  "This is my blood you drink; this is my body you eat".

Apostles: Barf

LOL!

Found this one and improved it:

A bus full of ugly people had a head on collision with a truck. When they died, Jesus granted all of them one wish. The first person said, "I want to be gorgeous." Jesus snapped his fingers and it happened. The second person said the same thing and Jesus did the same thing. This went on and on throughout the group. Jesus noticed the last man in line was laughing hysterically. By the time Jesus got to the last ten people, the last man was laughing and rolling on the ground. When the man's turn came, he laughed and said, "I wish I was the only live handsome person on the bus."
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: 82024634_140569704101951_872318800535276...e=5E928A82]
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
(01-09-2020, 02:12 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: 82024634_140569704101951_872318800535276...e=5E928A82]

If only...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus, grympy

Favorite Deep Quotes
(01-09-2020, 02:46 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 02:12 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: 82024634_140569704101951_872318800535276...e=5E928A82]

If only...

Yeah, when I was a gossoon,  if I tried to stare down an arsehole, he (or she) would punch me in the stomach and wind me. . Blush

Hate to break  this to you, but  full of fortune cookie bullshit  Yoda is.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
An Englishman who was wrecked on a strange shore and
wandering along the coast . . . came to a gallows
with a victim hanging on it, and fell down on his
knees and thanked God that he at last beheld a sign
of civilization.

--James A. Garfield (1831-1881)
(House of Representatives speech, June 15, 1870)
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 5 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Phaedrus, grympy, epronovost

Favorite Deep Quotes
“Play hard, work hard, love hard….the bottom of life for me is to live life to the fullest in the here-and-now instead of a hoped-for hereafter, and make every day count in some meaningful way and do something──no matter how small it is──to make the world a better place.” (Michael Shermer)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V

Favorite Deep Quotes
Reality is just an agreed upon illusion

Favorite Deep Quotes
"If you will not hear reason, she will surely rap your knuckles. Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. Love, a cough, and a smoke, can't well be hid. Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other." (Benjamin Franklin)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie, Phaedrus

Favorite Deep Quotes
Being healthy is just dying more slowly.
  • Kim

Favorite Deep Quotes
"'Freedom' is just another word / for 'nothin' else to lose'."

Meh, those goddamned apostrophes.
On hiatus.

Favorite Deep Quotes
Women are better than men, and they never stop trying to bring men up to their standard.

Favorite Deep Quotes
(05-05-2020, 04:32 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Women are better than men, and they never stop trying to bring men up to their standard.

Who said that?  Huh

Favorite Deep Quotes
(05-05-2020, 12:22 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 04:32 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Women are better than men, and they never stop trying to bring men up to their standard.

Who said that?  Huh

Ricky Gervais in the second season of After Life.
  • Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
 "I look around the world and see so many wonderful things that I love and enjoy and benefit from, whether it’s art or music or clothing or food and all the rest. And I’d like to add a little to that goodness." (Daniel Dennett, philosopher and cognitive scientist)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, vulcanlogician, jerry mcmasters

Favorite Deep Quotes
“If you don’t have a seat at the table, then you’re on the menu.”
~ Shirley Webber
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: 210591099_4459078784152976_7323166133373...e=60E9801E]

• vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered". Voltaire

I was well-mannered enough, but not stupid enough. I contended with with the gods of the office.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Dānu, epronovost

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: john-henrik-clarke-quote-1-520x293-1-300x169.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
"A lie can circle the globe before the truth can even put on its shoes." (Mark Twain)  Consider
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Inkubus, Alan V, Mr Greene

Favorite Deep Quotes
Quote:If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things.

Terry Pratchett.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Alan V, TheGentlemanBastard

Favorite Deep Quotes
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want toto far, go together."

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Gratitude preserves old friendships and procures new." (American Proverb)  Hug

Favorite Deep Quotes
Man errs, till he has ceased to strive.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • mordant