Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Brexit Thread (topical thread)

(01-15-2019, 08:19 PM)c172 Wrote: Corbyn moves for a confidence vote.

About fucking time. It’ll take place tomorrow at 7pm and he will lose.
The following 1 user Likes Marozz's post:
  • WhiskeyDebates

There is a term for May's position.

That term is "fucked flat."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I don't think that May losing the vote made hard Brexit more likely. It would have a second referendum more likely. The main thing is the fact that the DUP will continue supporting the government in a no confidence vote. The Tories staying in power is the worst thing to happen right now.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(01-15-2019, 10:15 PM)Mathilda Wrote: It would have a second referendum more likely.

You forget about the elections to the European parliament this year. The UK wouldn't be represented if they decided on a second referendum. Juncker already said, time's running out. Britain has only so much time to react, one way or the other.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

(01-15-2019, 08:28 PM)Marozz Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 08:19 PM)c172 Wrote: Corbyn moves for a confidence vote.

About fucking time. It’ll take place tomorrow at 7pm and he will lose.

Even from across the pond that's my take on it as well.
Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
The following 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post:
  • Marozz

And the Scots are not happy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sco...s-46869773

Quote:Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says another EU referendum 'only credible option'

I suppose you could build a wall along the Northern Irish border?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bucky Ball

This is such a Punch and Judy show. Someone commented that they were wondering if Brexit in its entirety is nothing but a psy op. After seeing that, I had to concede it’s at least a possibility. It doesn’t look like there’s ever actually going to be a Brexit. Instead they fuck around until they can convince the public to have a second vote, one which they are confident they will win, and so the whole thing ends while achieving nothing but chaos.

This constant "no deal" looming on the ever-shifting horizon now feels like fear-mongering.

Good lord, what a shit show.

Not that buying into what politicians say is anything I've ever done, but May's "Brexit is the ONLY thing we can do" shit is driving me mad. The first vote was advisory only, AND thousands of people voted for the wrong reasons (be it deliberate misinformation or voting in protest or whatever else).

Give the vote to the people, needed a majority to pass. If this goes through, be it with a shit deal or with no deal at all, the country will just implode into economic chaos.

It's not that simple as some seem to believe, seeing as there are European elections this year. If Britain decided to stay or decided on another vote, this would happen after may, the scheduled date for the elections. The UK can't participate, unless the EU decides otherwise, and so they wouldn't be represented in the next European parliament. And if the EU decided on allowing a participation and the second vote is no again, what happen to the reps? It's all very complicated and begging for a solution.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • pocaracas, Marozz

(01-16-2019, 02:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote: And the Scots are not happy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sco...s-46869773

Quote:Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says another EU referendum 'only credible option'

I suppose you could build a wall along the Northern Irish border?

That's a wet dream to those bigoted fuck's the DUP, together with building a bridge to Scotland. At this point I just wish the Brits would leave Europe and take the DUP with them. The dozy cunts don't realize that a hard border will probably hasten a united Ireland. Heh....they wont be so "democratic" then.
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Minimalist, WhiskeyDebates

Onion: Fed-Up EU Rejects United Kingdom, Gives British 30 Days To Vacate Europe
The following 4 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • pocaracas, Minimalist, Fireball, Full Circle

The Onion has to work harder now to stay ahead of what passes for reality in the world.  Glad to see that they are up to the job.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • RobbyPants, Marozz, Fireball

(01-16-2019, 03:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote: ... The Onion has to work harder now to stay ahead of what passes for reality in the world ...

If it hasn't already happened I'm sure we'll be seeing Onion headlines that 10 years ago would have been ordinary headlines, but in today's milieu have become extraordinary, sort of a reverse Poe.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Fireball

So, she survives the confidence vote.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/uk/th...index.html
Is this sig thing on?

So where do the Brits go from here?  I was surprised that May survived the no-confidence vote after the brexit denial. Is there another general referendum planned?
god, ugh

It doesn't seem as if they have thought it out that far.

I’m struggling to understand how the confidence vote could ever not pass, since it would require the party/parties in power to vote against themselves.

(01-16-2019, 02:50 AM)Minimalist Wrote: And the Scots are not happy.

Pfft, more news at 11.
Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.

(01-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Marozz Wrote: The dozy cunts don't realize that a hard border will probably hasten a united Ireland.

Bloody 'ell mate don't give the game away.
The following 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post:
  • Marozz

(01-17-2019, 12:20 AM)c172 Wrote: So, she survives the confidence vote.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/uk/th...index.html

I'm thinking that this makes a hard brexit more likely but the currency market seems to differ with the pound strengthening on the news.

(01-17-2019, 12:55 AM)julep Wrote: So where do the Brits go from here?  I was surprised that May survived the no-confidence vote after the brexit denial. Is there another general referendum planned?

There is no limit to how many votes of no confidence can be had. There could be another one tomorrow if there was justification for it.

(01-17-2019, 06:25 AM)robvalue Wrote: I’m struggling to understand how the confidence vote could ever not pass, since it would require the party/parties in power to vote against themselves.

True. But there was a hope that maybe some of the pro EU tories might put their country before their careers.

Turns out to be wishful thinking.

(01-17-2019, 07:33 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Marozz Wrote: The dozy cunts don't realize that a hard border will probably hasten a united Ireland.

Bloody 'ell mate don't give the game away.

What we are seeing is an empire in its final stages of decline. And that means giving back Northern Ireland and Scotland. Eventually the empire mentality has to die. It's crippling the leaders.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Marozz

(01-17-2019, 06:25 AM)robvalue Wrote: I’m struggling to understand how the confidence vote could ever not pass, since it would require the party/parties in power to vote against themselves.

Can anyone explain this to me? Have I missed something? 

Since the party in power (or the alliance in this case) automatically has the most votes to cast, because they won the most seats to get in power in the first place, wouldn’t a loss require people to vote against their own party?

In what situation would that ever happen? If you believe your own party shouldn’t be in power, wouldn’t you just leave that party altogether?