Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(07-26-2022, 03:23 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Dune: the year is 10k+ and the phrase "god in heaven" is used. What sloppy writing.

The future humans won't be any smarter than we are.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Antlers
Quote:In an isolated Oregon town, a middle-school teacher and her sheriff brother become embroiled with her enigmatic student, whose dark secrets lead to terrifying encounters with an ancestral creature.
The following 1 user Likes Apostate's post:
  • Kim

Old
Quote:A vacationing family discovers that the secluded beach where they're relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.

Since I didn't get to see the Get Back documentary at the cinema, I've been waiting for the digital release.  
And, it's out!  Panic  Finally!!   Panic

I got the DVD at the sacred place.   Angel  The local public library.
The thing is a behemoth - 6 hours, told in 3 parts - each has it's own disc.  Each scene is as tedious as can be imagined.  It's full of bits of minutiae which most Beatles fans have run across over the years but, much of this is unseen footage.  I watched every second of it - sometimes replaying bits, just to ensure I didn't miss anything.  I felt so involved & consumed by it, I nearly went out for smokes.  It's taken me 3 fucking days to watch.  3 days I'll never get back!!!

Blush
I loved it.

The entire film revolves around a single "project" goal:  get The Beatles back in studio to make an album & maybe get them on stage for a live event.  Because... they're the greatest band on planet Earth & what else have they got to do?!
 Turns out, they'd all like to, uh ... get back their lives.   They're not yet 30 years old.

Yep, dumping that band was one of the best things those guys ever did.

And now we know.   Shy

[Image: Blade_movie.jpg]
Popcorn2
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • pocaracas

[Image: torontoman8.jpg.webp]

Tons of fun! Well worth the time.
The following 2 users Like pocaracas's post:
  • KittyAnn, Kim

[Image: %22Pirates_of_Tortuga%22_%281961%29.jpg]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

"Attack of the Giant Leeches."
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Kim

Wowy wow
Bringing Out the Dead
It's intense

Walle-E? Especially the last 30 minute ending where the fastsos started getting better. I'm not a big movie fan.

I loved 'Hancock'. He went from amnesiac crazy destructive superman to "good guy" with a fantastic back-story! I can watch that over and over again.

[Image: ManWithTheGun1955Poster.jpg]
Popcorn
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cavebear

"The" gun, as in there's only one of them? Not very historically accurate, is it?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Kim

"Send for a man with a gun use history."

Guns were expensive back then. He placed the ad & when he saves up enough, he'll get another gun.
He was an early entrepreneur of wild west violence. Shy

(09-19-2022, 12:49 PM)Dānu Wrote: "The" gun, as in there's only one of them?  Not very historically accurate, is it?

Paladin: "Have Gun, Will Travel". Bat Masterson, Jonny Yuma, The Rifleman... Yeah TV shows. The reality was the Hole In The Wall Gang, who literally shot enemies through holes in the walls of local buildings. "Shootouts" like High Noon were nearly non-existent.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Kim

Just watched the last forty or so minutes of Religulous. It has been several years since I'd seen it - it really stands up. Bill makes clear & reasonable points and isn't malicious in his presentation.
I'd like to know what theists think about it. Shy

Had never seen the original Matrix movie. It was better than I expected and holds up pretty well.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(09-19-2022, 10:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I loved 'Hancock'.  He went from amnesiac crazy destructive superman to "good guy" with a fantastic back-story!  I can watch that over and over again.

This movie famously could've been much better. Everything about it sort of... changes... halfway through. Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad and long-time X Files writer) wrote the first half, the studio threw out his ending and wrote their own second half.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • Cavebear

Terrifier

Plot:
A bloke dressed as a clown goes around and does some murders.

Thoughts:
Strange one this - the guy playing the clown is actually really good, but most of the rest of the cast are bad. That is because it's extremely low budget and/or all the budget was spent on the special effects, which for the most part are good aside from one or two instances of "that looks cheap". I think the charecter overall and the ending of the movie hints at "we didn't really know what else to do" so it does fall a bit flat towards the end.

That being said, the main guy 100% carries it and makes it border line "good", which is crazy. I believe the second one of these is out now, and its make people faint/puke in cinemas, so thats something. If you like strange/gory horror movies, this one is probably for you.

[Image: Islanddrmoreau1977.jpg]
Popcorn

(10-18-2022, 10:14 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Terrifier

Plot:

Thoughts:
Strange one this - the guy playing the clown is actually really good, but most of the rest of the cast are bad. That is because it's extremely low budget and/or all the budget was spent on the special effects, which for the most part are good aside from one or two instances of "that looks cheap". I think the charecter overall and the ending of the movie hints at "we didn't really know what else to do" so it does fall a bit flat towards the end.

That being said, the main guy 100% carries it and makes it border line "good", which is crazy. I believe the second one of these is out now, and its make people faint/puke in cinemas, so thats something. If you like strange/gory horror movies, this one is probably for you.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can enjoy these kinds of movies. It's just shocking gore. At one point the audience just has to watch a girl get cut in fucking half? I found this movie particularly disturbing. I hate the "grindhouse" genre

[Image: Murder_in_Coweta_County.jpg]
Popcorn

(10-18-2022, 05:23 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 10:14 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Terrifier

Plot:

Thoughts:

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can enjoy these kinds of movies. It's just shocking gore. At one point the audience just has to watch a girl get cut in fucking half? I found this movie particularly disturbing. I hate the "grindhouse" genre

Yeah - that was a bit "much". I'm honestly not one for Horror as a whole, not that I don't like it, but it doenst really do anything for me. Mrs Oaktree loves it, so we occasionally watch one - when the reviews for this second one came out, she wanted to watch the first one, so we did. Its gory as hell, but the budget is faily low so its not really "shocking" just like "oh right then". The guy that plays the clown is pretty good/scary, but that was about it for me personally.

(10-19-2022, 02:18 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 05:23 PM)Aegon Wrote: I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can enjoy these kinds of movies. It's just shocking gore. At one point the audience just has to watch a girl get cut in fucking half? I found this movie particularly disturbing. I hate the "grindhouse" genre

Yeah - that was a bit "much". I'm honestly not one for Horror as a whole, not that I don't like it, but it doenst really do anything for me. Mrs Oaktree loves it, so we occasionally watch one - when the reviews for this second one came out, she wanted to watch the first one, so we did. Its gory as hell, but the budget is faily low so its not really "shocking" just like "oh right then". The guy that plays the clown is pretty good/scary, but that was about it for me personally.

Yeah. I think there is a lot of good horror out there, but I struggle to understand the appeal of this especially gory subgenre.

You are right though, the guy who played the clown did a great job lol

(10-17-2022, 03:14 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 10:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I loved 'Hancock'.  He went from amnesiac crazy destructive superman to "good guy" with a fantastic back-story!  I can watch that over and over again.

This movie famously could've been much better. Everything about it sort of... changes... halfway through. Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad and long-time X Files writer) wrote the first half, the studio threw out his ending and wrote their own second half.

I'm not sure exactly were you think it changed (not a criticism and I would like to know more about your thoughts on that). But to the extent that Hancock changed "somewhere around halfway", I considered that a growing (or recovering) understanding of humanity though his exposure to the woman ("protector?") and her well-meaning activist husband. Or possibly his wound in the liquor store (the 911 signal was brilliant).

When I learned of his/their history, I was stunned. It was so far out of standard super-hero backstory!

I have probably watched 'Hancock' more often than any other movie (maybe tied is 'The Incredibles'). I have a weakness for offbeat stuff.