Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What book(s) are you currently reading?

Currently reading The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

[Image: 51CJ83TPFdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Currently reading "Devil's Due," book 12 of the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson.

Also the 60th book I've read so far this year. I set a personal record a couple years ago at 529 in a single year. This years I decided to do another challenge: 550 by year's end. So far, I'm on pace for 552. Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Alan V

Fleet of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner. "200 years before the discovery of Ringworld."

If two heads are better than one then the Citizens (AKA "Pierson's Puppeteers") should rule the galaxy. And maybe they do. Just be sure to keep a spare head handy.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Inkubus

A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear by Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie.

Great fiction writer, one of my new favorites.

World of Ptavs, by Larry Niven. Part of his "Known Space" future history series, explaining the "Slaver" culture and what happens when one of them survives for a few billion years. Old favorite.

I'm re-reading "Expendable" by James Alan Gardner on ebook. It's the first in his League of Peoples series and is brilliant, as are all the others. It's a series about 'red shirts,' but they don't die, they go Oh Shit.

On audible book, I've got "Nomad" by Matthew Mather. It's a story about what could happen in a 'near miss' situation between our solar system and a black hole. I read this one several years ago, 2017 or so, and he wrote four more in the series since then, so the first is a re-read to set up the rest. Very good book.

I'll have to post a full reading list of titles I've finished so far this year. It's a personal challenge year with a goal set at 550 and so far, I'm on pace.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Finally finished "fellowship of the ring" after just not reading as much as I've wanted to recently. I'd started it, and then seemingly forgot I was reading it, so had to start again.

Very much enjoyed it in the end. I am reading the others, but reading something else in-between.

So now onto:

The Call of Cthulhu, and other weird stories, by H P Lovecraft

Presently halfway through Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

I’m torn. It’s well written, disgusting, poetic. I think I understand why it has been banned.

I am currently reading and rereading my book entitled "Beyond Her"
It's about a young black woman in the 1950's who becomes the first superpowered person in the world.
Her power set is a scaled down version, similar to that of Superman.

She develops her powers as a result of something very traumatic. 
In our own lives, trauma has a way of changing us all. 
How we deal with it, sets the tone for who we will become as a person.

On top of that, imagine the stress someone might endure if the fate of the world and everyone living on it, was placed upon your shoulders.
The world will ask, "Is she strong enough to save us all." She asks herself "Are they worth saving ?"

If she is going to be successful, she must reach beyond her own limits.

It's available on Amazon if you're interested.

[Image: 51HysIMspvL.jpg]
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

Harvey Fierstein's memoir and there is quite a revealing part in it about the Catholic Church and homosexuality:

Quote:“Like you don’t know?” Charlie laughed. “Mother Church is more than aware of how many gay men join the clergy. All they ask is that you refrain from having sex during the period when you’re taking your vows.”

As far as Charlie knowing me well was concerned, he was right. I slept with more than my share of priests in my day, although I’ve yet to bed a rabbi. Last year I ran across a set of keys in a drawer that unlocked the rectory of an Episcopal church in Brooklyn and smiled, remembering how I came to have them.

The Silmarillion.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(04-05-2022, 10:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Finally finished "fellowship of the ring" after just not reading as much as I've wanted to recently. I'd started it, and then seemingly forgot I was reading it, so had to start again.

Very much enjoyed it in the end. I am reading the others, but reading something else in-between.

So now onto:

The Call of Cthulhu, and other weird stories, by H P Lovecraft
Of course you know that Fellowship is about 1/3 of The Lord of the Rings. The publishers broke it up to hit a reasonable price for the triad.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500

Re-reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I found it riveting when I first read it, wondering if it'll still hold up.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

I recently finished reading At The Edge of The Precipice: Henry Clay and the Compromise that Saved the Union by Robert V. Remini.  I'm presently reading The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, and Indian Allies by Alan Taylor.

Just finished Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking to Strangers", a superb essay on why we're so terrible at understanding others.  It is not a simple problem, and suffers from many misconceptions and myths it'll take generations to get straight, but Gladwell's observations are a bright light illuminating windows we don't even know exist.

Gladwell is one of three observers of the human condition I'd make mandatory reading.  The others are Atul Gawande and Stephen Pinker.  All write with an easy style for the lay reader that makes complicated concepts graspable on first reading.

"Talking to Strangers" kept me engrossed all the way from SFO to San Antonio and all the way to bedtime at the hotel.  $18 - worth a hundred times the price.

I don't like strangers enough to talk to them. Tongue

The Good Girls: An Ordinary Killing by Sonia Faleiro.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Vera

Finally done with the HP Lovecraft stories, took me a while to get the time to read the final few stories

Onto: Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers now Smile

Eichmann Before Jerusalemby Bettina Stangneth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Tightrope: Americans Reaching for Hope by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.

Mikhail Bakunin.

And the band played on by Randy Shilts

Well worth a read and free to read at the link below

https://onlinereadfreenovel.com/randy-sh...yed_on.amp
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Vera

Juggler of Worlds, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggler_of_Worlds, second book of five. "200 years before Ringworld!"

Fills in a lot of spots left open in Ringworld.

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. I decided to brush up on classics.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Deesse23