Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splashdown of NASA's SpaceX Demonstration Mission-2

Just occured today off of the NW FL Gulf Coast somewhere. Looks like the astronauts are OK, but the landing was normal, if hard. also, toxic fumes delayed deboarding. 

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-splash...ion-2-crew

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/n...index.html

Is this sig thing on?
The following 4 users Like c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, brewerb, tomilay

I like the stuff SpaceX is doing but Elon Musk is still a piece of shit.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • tomilay, RobbyPants

Weren't they supposed to land on a barge or something?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I hadn't heard about that, but they do try to retrieve first stages that way.
Is this sig thing on?

I think it's funny that they've returned to the 1960's and do a lame splashdown in the ocean in a little dinky metal capsule.  I'm no scientists but can't they find a better way?
                                                         T4618

(08-02-2020, 08:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I like the stuff SpaceX is doing but Elon Musk is still a piece of shit.

Aren't most industrial pioneers?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Boosters set back down on a launch pad or the sea going platform. I don't think that the US will ever land astronauts on dry land unless it's a winged craft. We've never landed a capsule on dry land, as it's a far harsher set-down and could damage the capsule and/or its occupants. The final descent speed was 16 MPH (kPH?) which I wouldn't consider all that hard. The Russians landed returnees on Terra Firma more for security reasons. That, and the possession of a land mass that spans 14 time zones.

I watched it. That was cool!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(08-02-2020, 09:58 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Weren't they supposed to land on a barge or something?

That's the rockets. The crew capsules have a softer landing in the water.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(08-02-2020, 10:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I think it's funny that they've returned to the 1960's and do a lame splashdown in the ocean in a little dinky metal capsule.  I'm no scientists but can't they find a better way?

Russians land on land. Russia loses astronauts that way.

(08-02-2020, 10:28 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 08:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I like the stuff SpaceX is doing but Elon Musk is still a piece of shit.

Aren't most industrial pioneers?

Doesn't excuse his pandemic denial. Or him falsely accusing someone who criticized him of being a pedo.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(08-02-2020, 10:39 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I think it's funny that they've returned to the 1960's and do a lame splashdown in the ocean in a little dinky metal capsule.  I'm no scientists but can't they find a better way?

Russians land on land. Russia loses astronauts that way.

They have spares.

They feel the same way about their submariners.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Little Lunch

Agreed.   Musk recently claimed that coronavirus panic is dumb and spread false claims that children are
"essentially immune" to the virus.  He's also made his stance on public restrictions obvious—blasting the
lock-downs as being a "cruel mockery of basic human values" and tweeting the imperative, "FREE AMERICA
NOW."  Musk also praised Texas for reopening businesses in April, referring to the quarantine as "de facto
house arrest", and recommended reopening "with care and appropriate protection".     Additionally, the 40
ventilator devices—known as bi-level machines—that he donated to the NYC Health + Hospitals in Queens
are normally used to treat sleep apnoea, but can actually spread coronavirus.

[Image: EUcoc1cXkAAnnnq?format=jpg&name=small]

A closer look at the photo of his donation, however, reveals a device that is not the kind
of ventilator hospitals are struggling to find.  These devices are ResMed's non-invasive,
five-year-old S9 bi-level models.    Thanks for nothing Musk.    Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

Did you think they were going to just sort of "float" down? No offense. From what I've read, all astronauts think that water landings are softer than harder surfaces. Just saying that "wham" is better than "WHAM"!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Depends on the gravity where you land, of course.
Wink 
(08-03-2020, 12:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Depends on the gravity where you land, of course.

Of course. By which, I ask if you had some other place to land where you could survive afterwards?

Wink

(08-03-2020, 12:30 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Depends on the gravity where you land, of course.

Of course.  By which, I ask if you had some other place to land where you could survive afterwards?

Wink

Not a single astronaut has died while trying to land on Mars.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(08-03-2020, 12:47 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:30 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Of course.  By which, I ask if you had some other place to land where you could survive afterwards?

Wink

Not a single astronaut has died while trying to land on Mars.

Nor landing on the Sun or Jupiter. And Mars landings are very iffy. I wouldn't send a frog on a 50-50 mission. Lets get a lunar base established. THEN go forth...

I would have happily gone on a 50-50, I frequently had worse odds than that for lesser purpose.
  • Cavebear

(08-03-2020, 01:37 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I would have happily gone on a 50-50, I frequently had worse odds than that for lesser purpose.

Deciding to go on a 50-50 by your own choice is fine. But someone should ask the frog.

Could you survive even the launch?

(08-03-2020, 11:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:

Agreed.   Musk recently claimed that coronavirus panic is dumb and spread false claims that children are
"essentially immune" to the virus.  He's also made his stance on public restrictions obvious—blasting the
lock-downs as being a "cruel mockery of basic human values" and tweeting the imperative, "FREE AMERICA
NOW."  Musk also praised Texas for reopening businesses in April, referring to the quarantine as "de facto
house arrest", and recommended reopening "with care and appropriate protection".     Additionally, the 40
ventilator devices—known as bi-level machines—that he donated to the NYC Health + Hospitals in Queens

A closer look at the photo of his donation, however, reveals a device that is not the kind
of ventilator hospitals are struggling to find.  These devices are ResMed's non-invasive,

I actually forgot about the thing with the ventilators, because 2020 has just been so crazy.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Cavebear, SYZ

(08-03-2020, 03:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 11:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:

I actually forgot about the thing with the ventilators, because 2020 has just been so crazy.

Some people can be brilliant in one area of knowledge and complete and utter fools in another. I no more care what Musk says about medicine than I care what some athlete says about politics. If crazy rich people have a cause they want to support, let them ask an expert in the field first. Otherwise, they should shut the fuck up...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball, Finite Monkeys

(08-03-2020, 01:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:37 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I would have happily gone on a 50-50, I frequently had worse odds than that for lesser purpose.

Deciding to go on a 50-50 by your own choice is fine.  But someone should ask the frog.

I'd be praying really hard. Chuckle
  • Cavebear

(08-03-2020, 04:52 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Deciding to go on a 50-50 by your own choice is fine.  But someone should ask the frog.

I'd be praying really hard.   Chuckle

I value your existence. A space launch would probably be fatal.

Humor: Reporter to President Kennedy. "Sir, when will we launch a man to the Moon.

Kennedy: "Wheneveh Senator Goldwater wants to go".

I see you don't appreciate the chance for epic wheeness.
  • Cavebear

(08-03-2020, 04:58 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I see you don't appreciate the chance for epic wheeness.

I challenge you to a wheeness challenge of wheeness. The epic version 2.0.12 of course. You will take the North side and I will take the Starboard! Rowers will alternate. Sails will be mesh. Rabbits ARE allowed.