Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP GirlyMan

RIP GirlyMan
He was the first person to talk to me when I joined the other place.
I suspected this was coming, as esophageal ca is not very treatable and my last PM was not answered.
He'll always have a place in my heart.

The god Bob ... and his personal Jesus ... are immortal.
Test

RIP GirlyMan
The sad part about blogs, You make new friends and have more to be sad about when some of them pass away.

RIP Bob - Girlyman
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • adey67, Free

RIP GirlyMan
Damn.  Sadcryface
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • adey67, Free

RIP GirlyMan
Only started to know him since joining this forum but definitely appreciated the perspective and ready humor. Well done, Girly.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • Aroura, adey67, Free, KevinM1

RIP GirlyMan
I'm trying to think of something to say, 

But all I can think of is, I'll miss you Girly.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 5 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • skyking, Thumpalumpacus, TheGulegon, adey67, Free

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 05:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote: One more bear hug Heart  Sadcryface

[Image: D3-D7-B0-AF-C280-4362-B724-45-BD9-CF79-AC7.jpg]

This just put me into tears.

He was my brother in the absurd.

Gone, but not forgotten, bud.
On hiatus.
The following 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Smercury44, Dancefortwo, TheGulegon, Aroura, adey67, Mark, Free, KevinM1, Full Circle

RIP GirlyMan
There was nothing average about Girly. He was super smart, super funny, super empathetic, super faithful (one woman all his life) and super caring. 

He thrived on theory, practiced practicality, a man of convictions and still pragmatic, had a sober perspective despite using drugs more than he should have.

He was his own god and his own Jesus, a self made man who invested smartly, a rebel and a public servant, introspective and outgoing, and, yeah, crazy as a loon.

And then, looking at the entire package, he wasn't crazy at all.  He was an exceptional human being, and there was nothing average about him.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

RIP GirlyMan
Very sad, he will be sorely missed.
RIP Girlyman
The following 5 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Dancefortwo, adey67, TheGulegon, skyking, Free

RIP GirlyMan
Still struggling as to what to say. I keep thinking of his unique sense of humour and then to realise that it's gone.
The following 10 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Dancefortwo, adey67, Bucky Ball, TheGulegon, Marozz, skyking, Free, Tartarus Sauce, Deesse23, Gwaithmir

RIP GirlyMan
Fuuuuck!!

Bye Girly...  Sadcryface

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 8 users Like Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGulegon, Marozz, adey67, skyking, julep, Free, Unsapien

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 08:23 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Still struggling as to what to say. I keep thinking of his unique sense of humour and then to realise that it's gone.

Goiing by the videos, dance posted, I'm struggling with how young he still was. Certainly not an age to take the final door. Well, we all take that door sooner or later. As you said, and seeing as I didn't know him in person, I will miss his contributions, his dry sense of humor and taking his presence for granted, since the days of TTA. I was shocked when he posted his thread "getting my affairs in order". I didn't know what to say back then, so I kept silent. And, as I said, I was worried when I didn't see any new posts coming, but dreaded to question his absence. I feared something like that to happen, so I'm not surprised, but still feeling sad.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 11 users Like abaris's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Smercury44, Dancefortwo, adey67, Mark, TheGulegon, Dom, Marozz, Free, KevinM1, Deesse23

RIP GirlyMan
I didnt know him well, but i know he was funny and kind, and will be sorely missed by many. RIP Girlyman, and condolences to his friends and family.
The following 6 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Mathilda, Jenny, adey67, TheGulegon, Dom, Free

RIP GirlyMan

I'm saturated. I'm wet with your tears, you spill so easily.
In reflection I'll see you again.
Approach me, soak me.
Faith, faith, breathe.

'Cause it's here, it's where the air is clear,
Where far off things could be quite near.
No repairs are needed, just a spark.

I'm interested, you've always been a subject, that I could learn.
Splendid hills, unconquerable mountains.
Climb, don't ever turn back.
Seed, seed, grow.

'Cause it's here, it's where the air is clear,
Where far off things could be quite near.
No repairs are needed, just a spark.
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • adey67, TheGulegon, Dom, Free, Dancefortwo, Aroura

RIP GirlyMan
I'm shocked stunned and saddened it wasn't long ago that he was talking about it and having surgery, I know the survival rate isn't brilliant but so quick, my mind is reeling. Thanks for letting us know Chas.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 6 users Like adey67's post:
  • Marozz, TheGulegon, Dancefortwo, Free, Thumpalumpacus, Aliza

RIP GirlyMan
Started to go on about my business (what there is of it) but feeling listless.  Then I remembered that Girly had died and I got that what-difference-does-it-make feeling.  Now I remember, I always feel that way on a death day.  Usually I just think about the person who has died and my own mortality.  Trouble is I never knew Girly that well, so I appreciate you who did sharing.  

It never makes me sad but it does seem important to let it be what it is for the day.  In the end, the feeling about doing things not mattering goes away to be replaced by a feeling of liberation.  The feeling of listlessness gets replaced by one of opportunity, albeit with limitations.  So life is precious and something to be savored.  But feelings won't be pushed around or forced.  Today is a death day.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 10 users Like Mark's post:
  • Vera, Marozz, Old Man Marsh, Free, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, TheGulegon, KevinM1, Deesse23, Aroura

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Mark Wrote: But feelings won't be pushed around or forced.  Today is a death day.

In more ways (and types of death) than one... I am with you...

And I miss Girly so much! He loved this song which I shared with him after his brother died. I love it too...

Show ContentSpoiler:
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 8 users Like Vera's post:
  • Jenny, Dom, Marozz, Old Man Marsh, Mark, Free, Thumpalumpacus, TheGulegon

RIP GirlyMan
It feels really weird, I feel really out of sorts, girly was such a fixture and a force of nature. I didn't know him as well as many of you guys so I can't imagine how some of you must be feeling so hugs to everyone. Just like when Nishi passed it makes me appreciate you guys all that bit more.  Heart
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 6 users Like adey67's post:
  • Smercury44, Old Man Marsh, Jenny, Free, skyking, TheGulegon

RIP GirlyMan
The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

Girly Dance:  Choreographed by GirlyMan

Performed by: GirlyMan

T4618
The following 7 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera, Jenny, Mark, Free, skyking, TheGulegon, Thumpalumpacus

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 11:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

I can do it... after I finish my book today or tomorrow; might do the falling off chair thing too (if someone doesn't beat me to it).
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Jenny, Free, TheGulegon, Dancefortwo

RIP GirlyMan
I never really knew Girly because I was never really active on TTA but it only took me about five seconds to see that he was a very valuable member of this community ... and that he had a lot of personality.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 6 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Jenny, Mark, Free, Unsapien, Marozz, Smercury44

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Mark Wrote: Started to go on about my business (what there is of it) but feeling listless.  Then I remembered that Girly had died and I got that what-difference-does-it-make feeling.  Now I remember, I always feel that way on a death day.  Usually I just think about the person who has died and my own mortality.  Trouble is I never knew Girly that well, so I appreciate you who did sharing.  

It never makes me sad but it does seem important to let it be what it is for the day.  In the end, the feeling about doing things not mattering goes away to be replaced by a feeling of liberation.  The feeling of listlessness gets replaced by one of opportunity, albeit with limitations.  So life is precious and something to be savored.  But feelings won't be pushed around or forced.  Today is a death day.

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Mark, adey67, Free, TheGulegon

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 11:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

I can't quite make out what he says at the end but he is totally channelling one of those wind-up chimp dolls with cymbals.

Not the one I was looking for but here's the one I found:
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Free, Dancefortwo

RIP GirlyMan
Bye, Girlyman! I loved our intellectual exchanges. I always went away from them richer.
The following 4 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Jenny, Free, skyking, Marozz

RIP GirlyMan
He was the most loved of all of us, and rightfully so. 

So incredibly heartbroken. Such a beautiful human being.

I am so shocked and saddened that I have no more words.

[Image: a6rPRweTex-14.png]
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 6 users Like Free's post:
  • Mark, Smercury44, skyking, TheGulegon, Marozz, Full Circle

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Mark Wrote: Started to go on about my business (what there is of it) but feeling listless.  Then I remembered that Girly had died and I got that what-difference-does-it-make feeling.  Now I remember, I always feel that way on a death day.  Usually I just think about the person who has died and my own mortality.  Trouble is I never knew Girly that well, so I appreciate you who did sharing.  

... and we look at its face.

Nothin' wrong with that, just gotta be.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark