Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI equal with human experts in medical diagnosis, study finds

AI equal with human experts in medical diagnosis, study finds
(09-28-2019, 10:28 PM)mordant Wrote: ...I noted him cutting corners on my annual physical. For example it's a best practice to do a digital prostate exam via the rectum. I certainly do not look forward to this (a doctor I had years ago would say, as he pulled on his latex gloves, "and now I'm going to ruin your day AND mine.") But that he hasn't done it in 4 years is a little concerning. I am sure it's because he doesn't like doing it.

Considered clinical opinion in Australia now says that digital rectal examinations are a waste of time due both to the poor
skills of most GPs, plus the fact that our prostates vary in size and density from one bloke to the next.  The accepted test
is now the PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood test, although the Cancer Council Australia and the Royal Australian College
of General Practitioners both recommend against routine screening in men without symptoms.  I personally disagree with
this view, as a gradual increase in PSA levels over a period of years can definitely point to prostate cancer.

My late father had a subtotal prostatectomy, so I'm aware of the possible hereditary cancer syndrome, and prefer to have the
PSA test every couple of years, even if just for peace of mind.  As far as I know, no computer program can diagnose prostate
cancer without human intervention.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, mordant

Messages In This Thread
RE: AI equal with human experts in medical diagnosis, study finds - by SYZ - 09-29-2019, 04:29 PM