Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Eyes Accused ‘Quack’ Dr. Oz for Coronavirus Advice

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-eyes...e?ref=wrap

Quote:As the global pandemic and a staggering economic crisis swells, Dr. Mehmet Oz, the controversial celebrity doctor, has been advising senior Trump administration officials on coronavirus-related matters. Oz has even caught President Donald Trump’s attention with the celebrity doctor’s numerous appearances on the president’s favorite TV channel, The Daily Beast has learned.

In the past couple of weeks, Trump began hearing more and more about—and watching Oz, now a Fox News regular, discuss—hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that Trump aggressively touted as a coronavirus treatment, much to the dismay of various medical experts and scientists. Over these two weeks, the president had specifically made a point of telling aides that he was interested in what Oz had to say and that he wished to speak to the much-maligned television personality, according to two people familiar with the president’s requests. It is unclear if Trump has spoken on the phone with Oz lately, as he told aides that he wished to do so.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, Paleophyte, Dancefortwo

(04-06-2020, 04:09 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-eyes...e?ref=wrap

Quote:As the global pandemic and a staggering economic crisis swells, Dr. Mehmet Oz, the controversial celebrity doctor, has been advising senior Trump administration officials on coronavirus-related matters. Oz has even caught President Donald Trump’s attention with the celebrity doctor’s numerous appearances on the president’s favorite TV channel, The Daily Beast has learned.

In the past couple of weeks, Trump began hearing more and more about—and watching Oz, now a Fox News regular, discuss—hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that Trump aggressively touted as a coronavirus treatment, much to the dismay of various medical experts and scientists. Over these two weeks, the president had specifically made a point of telling aides that he was interested in what Oz had to say and that he wished to speak to the much-maligned television personality, according to two people familiar with the president’s requests. It is unclear if Trump has spoken on the phone with Oz lately, as he told aides that he wished to do so.

OMG. Dr. Oz! All we need is that snake oil salesman making our health decisions.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Dancefortwo

In the really real world there is some limited evidence that hydroxychloroquine may be useful in treating COVID-19. It has an effect on both SARS and MERS, closely related coronaviruses. That research was done under Bush II and Obama.

Unfortunately, it's contraindicated in patients with diabetes or heart disease, who are some of those most susceptible to COVID-19. There's also a very narrow range between the effective dose and the toxic dose.
The following 4 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo
Shocked 
There are a number of studies underway to determine whether the drug has any efficacy.
One, going on at the University of Minnesota, will release some data on Wednesday, 4/8.

In some patients it can induce ventricular tach (VT) due to Long QT syndrome, where the pr wave (atrial repolarization)
happens too soon, and slams on the QT wave. I've seen it happen on a monitor once. I told the cardiologist this guy was having "r on t's", and he said "We'll just watch it for now". He then walked down the hall, passed the room where the patient was, and as he passed the door, the patient threw another one, went into VT, arrested and died.
Test
The following 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte, skyking, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

(04-06-2020, 08:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: There are a number of studies underway to determine whether the drug has any efficacy.

And I'll put my trust those studies, not Trumplethinskin or this quack. For the first time I find myself hoping that Trump might be right because that would mean that we have something to throw at this virus, no matter how limited its effects.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Alan V

Donald Trump conferring with Mehmet Oz on matters medical is like
Peewee Herman debating with David Hasselhoff about string theory.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-06-2020, 10:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 08:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: There are a number of studies underway to determine whether the drug has any efficacy.

And I'll put my trust those studies, not Trumplethinskin or this quack. For the first time I find myself hoping that Trump might be right because that would mean that we have something to throw at this virus, no matter how limited its effects.

And if the drug does prove effective, Trump will say he knew it all along cause he's that kind of guy.   thumbsup2
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

(04-06-2020, 11:37 PM)Alan V Wrote:

And if the drug does prove effective, Trump will say he knew it all along cause he's that kind of guy.   thumbsup2

Because if you fling enough shit at the wall some of it's bound to stick. Forget everything that didn't work or was just plain wrong and suddenly he's a "stable genius". I hope that he ODs on chloroquine.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Alan V

Yes, well, as far as I'm concerned, the Oval Orifice is guilty of negligent homicide in the death of the Arizona man who died as a result of ingesting a fish tank cleaner that had chloroquine in it, because he heard the "stable genius" touting it on TV.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom

(04-06-2020, 04:09 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-eyes...e?ref=wrap

And you know, the thing I wonder about is: in what companies that produce chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine does the Oval Orifice hold stock?  Because this is beyond the level of irresponsibility we expect from him, this is legitimately deadly "advice" he's giving.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, julep

Well, I've got essential oils, this virus doesn't stand a chance 'round here.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, SYZ

One, going on at the University of Minnesota, will release some data on Wednesday, 4/8.

In some patients it can induce ventricular tach (VT) due to Long QT syndrome, where the pr wave (atrial repolarization)
happens too soon, and slams on the QT wave. I've seen it happen on a monitor once. I told the cardiologist this guy was having "r on t's", and he said "We'll just watch it for now". He then walked down the hall, passed the room where the patient was, and as he passed the door, the patient threw another one, went into VT, arrested and died.

my wife trained for the monitor tech thing a long time ago  Thumbs Up
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Bucky Ball

And, if it's shown to be ineffective, he'll say he knew it all along, 'cause yeah, he really is that kind of guy.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Fireball

(04-07-2020, 03:23 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 11:37 PM)Alan V Wrote: And if the drug does prove effective, Trump will say he knew it all along cause he's that kind of guy.  

And, if it's shown to be ineffective, he'll say he knew it all along, 'cause yeah, he really is that kind of guy.

More likely he would say he never recommended it.  He's good for revisionism and blaming others for "not understanding" him.
The following 4 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, Paleophyte, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(04-07-2020, 03:23 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 10:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: And I'll put my trust those studies, not Trumplethinskin or this quack. For the first time I find myself hoping that Trump might be right because that would mean that we have something to throw at this virus, no matter how limited its effects.

And even then, people will continue to illicitly use it, having had the idea planted in their head by Trump, leading to more unnecessary deaths caused by Chucklefuck In Chief.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Dom

There was a great article today in the Washington post about the Mango Mussolini and hydroxychloroquine and I think this guy hit the nail right on OrangeIdiont's head!  I'm going to post most of it below because I know some of you don't have access to the Washington Post 

Quote:Some people are inclined to believe that Trump must have a financial motive, and the New York Times did report that he owns some stock in Sanofi, a company that makes the name-brand version of the drug. But I doubt that’s what’s at work. Instead, I think there are two reasons Trump is working so hard to convince everyone that hydroxychloroquine is a miracle cure, neither of which are about Trump’s own bank account.

The first is that Trump is listening to all the wrong people. We know that he finds those with advanced degrees extremely intimidating, activating his contempt and envy for experts. So when all the doctors and public health experts and epidemiologists tell him that while we can look into the potential of hydroxychloroquine, there’s no reason to think it’s going to be transformative, it makes him more, not less, convinced that it must be spectacular.

Trump compensates for his own insecurity by working to convince himself and everyone else that the experts don’t know what they’re talking about, and he knows more than them about everything. As he said in an appearance at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.” The scientists standing with him neither burst out in laughter nor began weeping uncontrollably, a tribute to their self-control.

So who is he listening to? Here’s an excerpt from a recent New York Times article:

Mr. Trump first expressed interest in hydroxychloroquine a few weeks ago, telling associates that Mr. [Larry] Ellison, a billionaire and a founder of Oracle, had discussed it with him. At the time, Dr. Mehmet Oz, the host of television’s “The Doctor Oz Show,” was in touch with Mr. Trump’s advisers about expediting approval to use the drug for the coronavirus.
Mr. [Rudolph] Giuliani has urged Mr. Trump to embrace the drug, based in part on the advice of Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, a self-described simple country doctor who has become a hit on conservative media after administering a cocktail of hydroxychloroquine, the antibiotic azithromycin and zinc sulfate.

So: Trump is getting his medical advice from CEOs, a TV doctor who has been assailed for promoting “quack treatments,” and Giuliani. One of Giuliani’s main sources of information on this topic is a guy who runs a company providing medical supplies to cruise ships and who was once sentenced to a year in jail for extorting Steven Seagal.

Supplementing this medical dream team, Fox News and other conservative media have been relentlessly hyping hydroxychloroquine, both on the air and in person. As The Post reports:

Fox host Laura Ingraham and two doctors who are regular on-air guests in what she dubs her ‘medicine cabinet’ visited the White House last Friday for a private meeting with Trump to talk up the drug.

This creates a feedback loop with Trump’s brain: He talks about it so Fox talks about it, and he watches them talk about it and becomes more convinced that he’s right about it.

But that’s only a partial explanation for Trump’s enthusiasm for hydroxychloroquine. The most important factor is that he’s desperate, he wants to come out of this a hero and it’s the only drug he’s heard of that might give him the opportunity.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

It's all about his narcissism.
                                                         T4618
The following 8 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom, Alan V, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, brunumb, Paleophyte, skyking

Feeding into this is that, failing a silver bullet like this drug, the situation will likely still be such come November that his chances of being reelected are pretty bad.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Dancefortwo

For the nine people left on the planet that don’t know who Dr. Oz is, here’s a recap. Mehmet Oz is a physician
who, after practicing actual medicine for a few years, embarked on a life mission to get rich by giving wellness
advice. The career move went over well. Time dubbed him one of 100 most influential people of the year.
Esquire named him one of the 100 most influential people of the century. In a demonstration of true editorial
understatement, Healthy Living proclaimed him to be one of the greatest healers of the millennium.

In 2014, a team of medical researchers released a report proving that 60% of advice given on Dr. Oz’s TV
show lacked scientific basis. Soon afterward, 1,300 doctors signed an open letter calling him “a quack and
a fake and a charlatan” whose “advice endangers patients.”

And of course, earlier this month, Trump appointed the good doctor to his council on sport, fitness, and nutrition.

So why is Dr. Oz still standing?

Above all, it comes down to one word.

Oprah.

—End of story.       Dodgy

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg....it%3Dscale]
Dr. Mehmet Oz poses in the pressroom with the award for the least informative
and most deceptive talk show host at the 43rd Emmy TV presentations

[Excerpted from Forbes.com]
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • brunumb, GenesisNemesis, skyking, Dancefortwo

(04-07-2020, 11:50 PM)SYZ Wrote: For the nine people left on the planet that don’t know who Dr. Oz is, here’s a recap. Mehmet Oz is a physician
who, after practicing actual medicine for a few years, embarked on a life mission to get rich by giving wellness
advice. The career move went over well. Time dubbed him one of 100 most influential people of the year.
Esquire named him one of the 100 most influential people of the century. In a demonstration of true editorial
understatement, Healthy Living proclaimed him to be one of the greatest healers of the millennium.

In 2014, a team of medical researchers released a report proving that 60% of advice given on Dr. Oz’s TV
show lacked scientific basis. Soon afterward, 1,300 doctors signed an open letter calling him “a quack and
a fake and a charlatan” whose “advice endangers patients.”

And of course, earlier this month, Trump appointed the good doctor to his council on sport, fitness, and nutrition.

So why is Dr. Oz still standing?

Above all, it comes down to one word.

Oprah.

—End of story.       Dodgy

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg....it%3Dscale]
Dr. Mehmet Oz poses in the pressroom with the award for the least informative
and most deceptive talk show host at the 43rd Emmy TV presentations

[Excerpted from Forbes.com]

He started his TV show with a plain medical science class. I saw a couple of those episodes, he would bring in an actual heart and have peeps from the audience put on gloves and hold it while he explained this and that. Much like a high school class. Then, many years later, I happened upon his show again and he was flogging some dietary supplements, like Goja berries and exotic herbs and stuff. That's the last I saw of him, and it's been years.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, Chimp3, Dancefortwo

Trumpolini keeps saying "I'm not a doctor."

We know.  But you are an asshole.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Chimp3

(04-08-2020, 12:10 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Trumpolini keeps saying "I'm not a doctor."

Trump has two vocational qualification:

1)  A real estate salesman (after inheriting $413 million from his father Fred).
2)  A games show host (which was nothing more than a self-funded vanity project).

Neither of those jobs prepared him for the Presidency in any way, so he's struggling at
a time when America desperately needs strong, insightful, decisive leadership.  I'd be
reckoning there'll be a lot of people wishing Obama was in the hot seat now, regardless
of his perceived shortcomings.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Chimp3, Dom

(04-08-2020, 03:30 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 12:10 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Trumpolini keeps saying "I'm not a doctor."

Trump has two vocational qualification:

1)  A real estate salesman (after inheriting $413 million from his father Fred).
2)  A games show host (which was nothing more than a self-funded vanity project).

Neither of those jobs prepared him for the Presidency in any way, so he's struggling at
a time when America desperately needs strong, insightful, decisive leadership.  I'd be
reckoning there'll be a lot of people wishing Obama was in the hot seat now, regardless
of his perceived shortcomings.

Sometimes I don't know how you Australians put up with us Americans.  We're so wrought with problems lately.  On behalf of most Americans I apologize for all the crap going on over here and all the political trash we've exported.  I know Covid 19 is everywhere but it's a real shit show here. Sometimes I think the only thing we have in common is the English language however when I hear Australians speak I have my doubts about that too.   Winking
                                                         T4618

(04-08-2020, 05:37 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: On behalf of most Americans I apologize for all the crap going on over here and all the political trash we've exported.

May I offer you an apology for our most embarrassing export to the US, Ken Ham.    Whatcanisay
No gods necessary
The following 2 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Dom, Fireball

(04-08-2020, 03:30 AM)SYZ Wrote: I'd be reckoning there'll be a lot of people wishing Obama was in the hot seat now, regardless of his perceived shortcomings.

Not enough of 'em, I'm afraid.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(04-08-2020, 06:27 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:37 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: On behalf of most Americans I apologize for all the crap going on over here and all the political trash we've exported.

May I offer you an apology for our most embarrassing export to the US, Ken Ham.    Whatcanisay

Well, a lot of stupid people have landed on our shores but we have a lot of natural born stupid people here.  One of them is running the country.  I feel like I live in the United States of Stupidstan.
                                                         T4618