Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Killed The Crew Of The Hunley

(02-24-2020, 01:21 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: There was a movie called "The Hunley" about ? 20 years ago.  Their interpretation was that the attack on the Housatonic caused enough damage to cause it to sink to the bottom unable to rise but with the men still alive within.  Not wanting to wait for the air to run out, they agree to open the valves and drown themselves and get it over with.  Dramatic for a movie, as they all sing a last song together, but it would account for them all being at their stations.

I recall seeing that film a few years after it was released. I thought the ending was rather corny and unrealistic. It was my opinion, even back in the mid-1960's, that the Hunley crew had died from concussion when their torpedo exploded.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(02-24-2020, 12:47 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 01:21 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: There was a movie called "The Hunley" about ? 20 years ago.  Their interpretation was that the attack on the Housatonic caused enough damage to cause it to sink to the bottom unable to rise but with the men still alive within.  Not wanting to wait for the air to run out, they agree to open the valves and drown themselves and get it over with.  Dramatic for a movie, as they all sing a last song together, but it would account for them all being at their stations.

I recall seeing that film a few years after it was released. I thought the ending was rather corny and unrealistic. It was my opinion, even back in the mid-1960's, that the Hunley crew had died from concussion when their torpedo exploded.

More likely died suffocating to sleep and death praying for help to the end. No one willingly drowns.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(02-24-2020, 01:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 12:47 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

More likely died suffocating to sleep and death praying for help to the end.  No one willingly drowns.

I would rather open the hatch and drown rather than slowly suffocate, gasping for air.

(02-24-2020, 03:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

?

Not really...?

But they were sitting at their stations.  And apparently made no effort to move.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-25-2020, 02:50 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 03:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

?

Not really...?

Meaning -- it's a noble story, but I doubt the end was that singsong stay-at-your-stations stuff. Death rarely is.

Hemingway line, characteristically short and to-the-point.

(02-25-2020, 02:54 AM)Minimalist Wrote: But they were sitting at their stations.  And apparently made no effort to move.

Yep, death usually comes fast underwater.

It couldn't have flooded that fast with no damage to the hull.

(02-25-2020, 03:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 02:50 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 03:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

?

Not really...?

Meaning -- it's a noble story, but I doubt the end was that singsong stay-at-your-stations stuff. Death rarely is.

Hemingway line, characteristically short and to-the-point.

Ah okay, thanks.

Speaking of the Hunley, fiction author and the man responsible for locating the wreak died today. He was 88.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 2 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • skyking, Thumpalumpacus

(02-26-2020, 09:02 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Speaking of the Hunley, fiction author and the man responsible for locating the wreak died today. He was 88.

Was he using a steam-powered Hunley to prove that the South won?

Or would that be too weird? Hmm
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Legend has it; they were forced to endure a round the clock sales pitch from drick.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Minimalist

Clive Cussler?

I thought he was already dead.

(02-26-2020, 11:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Clive Cussler?

I thought he was already dead.

Shit. Guess I left that rather important part out. 

Yes Cussler, and no he just passed today.

ETA: Looks like he died on the 24th, but it just made the national headlines today.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]