Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Halloween Thread

The Halloween Thread
(08-18-2019, 01:42 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Back in the 80s when urban legends about razors in Halloween candy were rife, parents could bring in their kids' candy to our local hospital to be x-rayed to make sure it was "safe".

I mean, I'm sure it put parents' minds at ease that the irradiated sugar was a-ok for their kids to eat.

-Teresa

I may be mistaken but I think there was literally ONE instance in the US of someone putting poison in candy to try to kill their own kid (I remember because it happened in Houston), and no razors ever.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were a razor here or there, but yes, I think urban legend is right.
The following 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches, Alan V, Smercury44

The Halloween Thread
(08-18-2019, 01:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 01:42 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Back in the 80s when urban legends about razors in Halloween candy were rife, parents could bring in their kids' candy to our local hospital to be x-rayed to make sure it was "safe".

I mean, I'm sure it put parents' minds at ease that the irradiated sugar was a-ok for their kids to eat.

-Teresa

I may be mistaken but I think there was literally ONE instance in the US of someone putting poison in candy to try to kill their own kid (I remember because it happened in Houston), and no razors ever.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were a razor here or there, but yes, I think urban legend is right.

There are a number of parents who "check" their kids' candy before they'll let the kids eat it. That whole ritual just seems bizarre to me. I always feel like a renegade or something when I let my own kid dig in without checking each piece first. Big Grin

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Smercury44

The Halloween Thread
(08-18-2019, 02:00 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 01:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

-Teresa

There are a number of parents who "check" their kids' candy before they'll let the kids eat it. That whole ritual just seems bizarre to me. I always feel like a renegade or something when I let my own kid dig in without checking each piece first. Big Grin

-Teresa

I didn't mean I was immune to the safety impulse, I used to skim through the stuff to check for anything wrong.  Something cleverly hidden would have escaped me though.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches

The Halloween Thread
(08-18-2019, 02:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 02:00 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 01:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I may be mistaken but I think there was literally ONE instance in the US of someone putting poison in candy to try to kill their own kid (I remember because it happened in Houston), and no razors ever.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were a razor here or there, but yes, I think urban legend is right.

-Teresa

I didn't mean I was immune to the safety impulse, I used to skim through the stuff to check for anything wrong.  Something cleverly hidden would have escaped me though.

Well, Heath bars and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are deadly poison to children so those always get pulled out of my kid's trick-or-treating stash and eaten by mom later that night. You know, safety first.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

The following 6 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Unsapien, TheGulegon, julep, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 68675912_2346736588876192_27773313248290...e=5DE23A2C]
The following 4 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Smercury44, Tres Leches, TheGulegon, jerry mcmasters

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 1x11rt.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Phaedrus

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 69472097_2399272586993367_73791877565487...e=5E100C15]
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The Halloween Thread

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 68954166_2534517546611998_54249495692574...e=5DE04372]
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • TheGulegon, Dancefortwo

The Halloween Thread
The only time I've ever danced in public, was badly, really drunk, dressed as Bojack Horseman, in front of this folk rock band at a bar on Halloween. With my friend who was in one of those inflatable T-Rex suits. Wish I had video but I might can find a picture of the costume. Wasn't too great but people recognized it.

If I ever dress up for a Halloween party again, I kind of want to go as sexy candy corn, and hand out bags of candy corn from under my skirt. As a hairy dude.
[Image: bcc6aab3a63cc6e19416dfab00deaee8.jpg]
The following 7 users Like Maffis's post:
  • Phaedrus, Smercury44, OakTree500, TheGulegon, Tres Leches, Dancefortwo, Jenny

The Halloween Thread
(08-20-2019, 01:28 AM)Maffis Wrote: If I ever dress up for a Halloween party again, I kind of want to go as sexy candy corn, and hand out bags of candy corn from under my skirt. As a hairy dude.

Any chance yo ucan join me in recreating this at all? I really want to do this at a con/halloween  ROFL2

[Image: 1i4zqlfl28p11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...f5db17d665]
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Phaedrus, Smercury44

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 67841286_2549842545034225_39913633507002...e=5DD3CBE3]
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Tres Leches, TheGulegon

The Halloween Thread
I'm looking forward to all the pumpkin spice flavored stuff that's in the stores around Halloween. I was just talking with my kid about this. A few days ago at the grocery store we saw pumpkin spice Cheerios. Woot!  inlove 

-Teresa

• Phaedrus

The Halloween Thread
(08-23-2019, 12:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm looking forward to all the pumpkin spice flavored stuff that's in the stores around Halloween. I was just talking with my kid about this. A few days ago at the grocery store we saw pumpkin spice Cheerios. Woot!  inlove 

-Teresa

Yeah, kinda like flu season in the winter.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Tres Leches

The Halloween Thread
(08-23-2019, 01:28 AM)Alan V Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 12:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm looking forward to all the pumpkin spice flavored stuff that's in the stores around Halloween. I was just talking with my kid about this. A few days ago at the grocery store we saw pumpkin spice Cheerios. Woot!  inlove 

-Teresa

Yeah, kinda like flu season in the winter.   hobo

OMG, what a Debbie Downer. Big Grin

-Teresa

• Alan V

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 11-funny-halloween-costume-censored-sim.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Phaedrus

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 68562571_771891226598202_137050689287435...e=5DD6AC91]
The following 6 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • TheGulegon, Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir, Gawdzilla Sama, Unsapien, adey67

The Halloween Thread
The best part of Halloween is not feeling terrible about eating a bunch of Reese's peanut butter cups.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, EvieTheAvocado, Gawdzilla Sama

The Halloween Thread
(08-24-2019, 03:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The best part of Halloween is not feeling terrible about eating a bunch of Reese's peanut butter cups.

mm'mm

[Image: 51d7euqXJKL._UY445_.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Phaedrus, GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama

The Halloween Thread
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

The Halloween Thread
@Deesse23

[Image: 69176561_412458502740207_267680071325371...e=5DDB0120]
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, TheGulegon, Tres Leches

The Halloween Thread
(08-24-2019, 03:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The best part of Halloween is not feeling terrible about eating a bunch of Reese's peanut butter cups.

I guess every day's Halloween for me? Thinking
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Phaedrus, GenesisNemesis, Smercury44, Gawdzilla Sama

The Halloween Thread
[Image: 67665649_2492615070817451_27937983110462...e=5DCC5FB6]
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, TheGulegon, Tres Leches

The Halloween Thread

The Halloween Thread
(08-31-2019, 11:35 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

You know, it's funny, I have a garage with two huge racks full of costumes.  We can only get one car in the garage because of it.  But most of them are Shakespeare costumes or from other plays I've costumed.  I don't really have anything scary.  The only thing I have that I use for Halloween is a long black cape, also lined in black.  It's a full circle cape.  In other words, when you spread it out on the ground it makes a full circle.  When wearing it you can spin around and it flares way out.   Other than that everything else is pretty standard stuff.  Kinda sucks.  

When the kids were little we used to put on a big show at our house.  We had the fog machine going (depending on the weather) we had a cauldron of bubbling dry ice on our porch. Skeletons that popped out.  My husband rigged up flying bats under our trees.  Kids came from all around to see our house.   These days?.....not so much.  

But capes!  Ohhhh, I love me a great cape.  They're so dramatic. I love this cape from the Royal Ballet's production of the Nutcracker.   This is Drosselmeyer.  This is one stunning cape! 

[Image: a604e380b2b9eaa263aea273f3a775c0.jpg]

[Image: e3d4e21506dbf2894d0ad51a3174a355.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches