Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I didn't ask to be born!!1!

Nope, not a teenage temper tantrum.

"Mumbai man to sue parents for giving birth to him without his ‘consent’.

In a bizarre case, a 27-year-old ‘anti-natalist’ from Mumbai is planning to sue his parents for bringing him into the world without his consent.

According to media reports, the youth, Raphael Samuel, is planning to take legal action against his parents for birthing him without consent.

Samuel is a proponent of a new movement called ‘anti-natalism’ which advocates for non-reproduction on the grounds that humans are a destructive force on earth.

Upon a cursory glance, one might assume that the plan to initiate legal proceedings may have been hatched in a bid to exact revenge from his parents. However, and interestingly enough, Samuel enjoys a cordial relationship with them.

Having said that, he is not in favour of giving birth to an unwilling child for the sake of it.

“I love my parents, and we have a great relationship, but they had me for their joy and their pleasure. My life has been amazing, but I don’t see why I should put another life through the rigamarole of school and finding a career, especially when they didn’t ask to exist,” he told The Print

Samuel runs a page on Facebook called ‘NihilAnand’ where he talks about anti-natalism.

“Isn’t forcing a child into this world and forcing it to have a career, kidnapping, and slavery?” or “Your parents had you instead of a toy or a dog, you owe them nothing, you are their entertainment,” read some of his posts.

In principle, Samuel argues that if a child has not agreed to be born and be subject to life’s difficulties, no one has the right to birth it.

“Other Indian people must know that it is an option not to have children, and to ask your parents for an explanation as to why they gave birth to you,” he says.

While it’s safe to say a newborn child has no option but to live with the triumphs and tragedy presented by the world we live in, it still leaves us with the question of how an unborn child can ‘give consent’ to being born."

(Also, a 27-year-old no longer constitutes "a youth", surely?)

And then there are the comments  Big Grin

[Image: Capture.jpg]

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 10 users Like Vera's post:
  • Mark, Marozz, Joods, Fireball, brewerb, Dānu, Aliza, Paleophyte, TheGulegon, Jenny

(02-05-2019, 09:09 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: Capture.jpg]

For the win.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Vera, Fireball

Nearly, if not *as* good as this one on an article about a couple getting stuck when having sex in the sea and having to go to the hospital to get disgenitaliangled, so to speak Angel

For those who don't have a clue (as I didn't back then):

Show ContentSpoiler:
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Mark, Jenny

Doesn't he realize it's a fixable problem?
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Kim, Fireball, RobbyPants, Alan V

Pro-life assholes will have a shitfit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, M.Linoge

(02-05-2019, 09:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Doesn't he realize it's a fixable problem?

You thinking he needs to become more self reliant, or even a self-finisher?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

And this, boys and girls, is why you only do the "good" drugs. Those cheap ones cause nothing but trouble.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 7 users Like Joods's post:
  • Fireball, Marozz, RobbyPants, Dānu, Chas, Paleophyte, skyking

If I were his parents I would just tell the judge that we did ask his permission to be born and he said it was okay. He just doesn't remember us asking.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 6 users Like Mad Hatter's post:
  • Dom, RobbyPants, Vera, Dānu, Paleophyte, outtathereligioncloset

(02-05-2019, 09:56 PM)Mark Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 09:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Doesn't he realize it's a fixable problem?

You thinking he needs to become more self reliant, or even a self-finisher?

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a lawsuit, at the end of which ... wait for it ... he still exists.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Vera, Mark

(02-05-2019, 10:32 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: If I were his parents I would just the judge that we did ask his permission to be born and he said it was okay. He just doesn't remember us asking.

"Your Honor, we needed a kid. See, the parents were bugging us about when we'd make them grandparents, and all the other young couples in the neighborhood were reproducing like spring rabbits.

"So we went and snagged this incorporeal spirit out of the aether. He didn't want to come at first, so we pointed out that his place on the Wheel of Life had him coming back as a coral polyp, and doesn't a Gameboy sound much better?

"He was still recalcitrant, so we told him we'd have genetic screening done to make sure he was whole and healthy. And that if he didn't like that, we'd walk, because there are how many hundreds of millions of incorporeal spirits available. But eventually he relented and we made the deal.

"He seemed very happy to shit his diapers and try to run across the road alone. We don't know what's come over him."
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Mad Hatter, Vera

My dad, who did time as a public school teacher, had a comeback for that gripe.

Me, at 13:  "I didn't ask to be born!"
Dad, deadpan:  "If you did, you would have been refused."

(02-05-2019, 09:09 PM)Vera Wrote: Nope, not a teenage temper tantrum.

"Mumbai man to sue parents for giving birth to him without his ‘consent’.

In a bizarre case, a 27-year-old ‘anti-natalist’ from Mumbai is planning to sue his parents for bringing him into the world without his consent.

According to media reports, the youth, Raphael Samuel, is planning to take legal action against his parents for birthing him without consent.

This really is kind of funny -- unless the courts are going to waste time actually allowing the litigation.

Quote:Samuel is a proponent of a new movement called ‘anti-natalism’ which advocates for non-reproduction on the grounds that humans are a destructive force on earth.

Upon a cursory glance, one might assume that the plan to initiate legal proceedings may have been hatched in a bid to exact revenge from his parents. However, and interestingly enough, Samuel enjoys a cordial relationship with them.

Having said that, he is not in favour of giving birth to an unwilling child for the sake of it.

“I love my parents, and we have a great relationship, but they had me for their joy and their pleasure. My life has been amazing, but I don’t see why I should put another life through the rigamarole of school and finding a career, especially when they didn’t ask to exist,” he told The Print

Samuel runs a page on Facebook called ‘NihilAnand’ where he talks about anti-natalism.

There is a rather simple solution:  he needs to get in touch with the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

Quote:(Also, a 27-year-old no longer constitutes "a youth", surely?)

Depends:  does he live in his parent's basement and spend all his time gaming and writing blogs?

... well, OK, I guess "youth" and "geek" aren't exactly synonymous.   Hmm
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 4 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Fireball, Mad Hatter, Vera, Thumpalumpacus

I followed with some amusement the demand of a Nisei woman who wanted her compensation for being confined with the other people of Japanese descent who were removed from the West Coast in WWII.

The reason I was interested was because the camps were closed before she was born, but NOT before she was conceived.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(02-06-2019, 12:39 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I followed with some amusement the demand of a Nisei woman who wanted her compensation for being confined with the other people of Japanese descent who were removed from the West Coast in WWII.

The reason I was interested was because the camps were closed before she was born, but NOT before she was conceived.

Wild guess: was she a Scientologist?
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

I'm an anti-natalist and I think anti-natalism rocks and that the world would certainly be a much better place if we all stopped having children (and I think that my life would be less painful, as happy as it is at the moment (I'm not dying of cancer at age 83 yet), if I wasn't born) ... but suing your parents is just absurd, lol.

Here's an admirable defense of anti-natalism:

From an ethical point of view it actually makes a great deal of sense philosophically, logically, rationally and, above all, from the standpoint of compassion.

People are always worried about their children suffering in awful ways, understandably, and yet the one way to guarantee that they never suffer at all ... is to never have them in the first place.

And if you listen to this interview you will notice that David Benetar couldn't be any further away from an immature adolescent but his interviewer sounds much more like a child "arguing" (if you can even call it an argument ... as it's all a bunch of red herrings and non-sequiturs that he has to deal with) with emotional appeal and whatnot. Benatar's argument is a mark of true maturity, rationality, compassion and wisdom.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(02-05-2019, 09:52 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Pro-life assholes will have a shitfit.

Ha, when someone asks me if I'm pro-life or pro-choice I am able to tell them sincerely, and with a straight face, "Neither. I'm anti-birth."
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • outtathereligioncloset

(02-06-2019, 03:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 12:39 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I followed with some amusement the demand of a Nisei woman who wanted her compensation for being confined with the other people of Japanese descent who were removed from the West Coast in WWII.

Wild guess: was she a Scientologist?

She was at least feigning belief in Shinto, I suspect to make her more "Japanese". Lost interest before a resolution was reached.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(02-06-2019, 10:10 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I'm an anti-natalist and I think anti-natalism rocks and that the world would certainly be a much better place if we all stopped having children (and I think that my life would be less painful, as happy as it is at the moment (I'm not dying of cancer at age 83 yet), if I wasn't born) ... but suing your parents is just absurd, lol.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne...62364.html

(02-06-2019, 10:52 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 10:10 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I'm an anti-natalist and I think anti-natalism rocks and that the world would certainly be a much better place if we all stopped having children (and I think that my life would be less painful, as happy as it is at the moment (I'm not dying of cancer at age 83 yet), if I wasn't born) ... but suing your parents is just absurd, lol.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne...62364.html

#1 won't work, #3 sounds like fun* and #7 sounds like funny.

*Mind you, it would have to be one hell of a robot and it won't work for me, personally, because my biases are already in place with a certain someone Big Grin**

**And I'm pretty sure her vagine*** is non-computerized.

***Wasn't a typo.

You ought to be able to sue someone for having filed a frivolous lawsuit.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Mad Hatter, Alan V, EvieTheAvocado, Thumpalumpacus

(02-06-2019, 02:27 PM)Dānu Wrote: You ought to be able to sue someone for having filed a frivolous lawsuit.

I think you used to be able to, in the UK, there was actually a law against it ... until like 1967 IIRC.

And, of course, if somebody over-sued somebody else who didn't need suing in the first place then they got sued for over-suing someone who didn't need suing in the first place ... and if that itself was overdone then they got sued for being an actual over-suer who oversued the nominal, and alleged, over-suer who sued the original suer who didn't need suing in the first place ... *

... which may be something to do with why the law was eventually abandoned, lol.

* I gotta admit ... it would be fun to say that paragraph ten times fast.

The mom should sue the kid. "I was just trying to enjoy some sex...and then suddenly you show up and ruin everything."
The following 7 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Aliza, brewerb, Minimalist, Vera, Thumpalumpacus, EvieTheAvocado, Jenny

If he didn't want to exist, then when he was a blastcyst, why did he implant himself into his mother's womb in the first place? He was a parasite that fed off his host until he became so large that she had to give birth to him. 

This was all his fault.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, epronovost, Jenny

(02-06-2019, 11:09 PM)Aliza Wrote: If he didn't want to exist, then when he was a blastcyst, why did he implant himself into his mother's womb in the first place? He was a parasite that fed off his host until he became so large that she had to give birth to him. 

This was all his fault.

What's a blastcyst

(02-06-2019, 11:21 PM)Assassin Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:09 PM)Aliza Wrote: If he didn't want to exist, then when he was a blastcyst, why did he implant himself into his mother's womb in the first place? He was a parasite that fed off his host until he became so large that she had to give birth to him. 

This was all his fault.

What's a blastcyst

It's how you type "blastocyst" when you're typing on your phone. Tongue Try Googling now. Sorry about that.

So nothing about explosions then, damn!
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Aliza, Vera