Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m going to stop now

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 11:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 07:57 AM)robvalue Wrote: I realised my comments could have been construed as an insult towards the staff here, that totally wasn’t my intention! They are all awesome. I was talking about those with national/global clout as being the moronic and incompetent leaders we see.

I’m saddened by the very aggressive tone a lot of people have taken. I expected brainwashing, and the mainstream has done an excellent job, no doubt. But this kind of vitriol is strange. It’s a shame they can’t disagree with me in an adult manner. There might have been a chance of changing my mind through polite discussion, rather than a jeering mob bullying me into silence while ignoring any and all evidence I present. It’s a very stifling echo chamber, and it’s rather pathetic that none of these people dare to debate me; they have dug their heels in with their dogmatic protection of the mainstream so much that it would be too risky to their reputation now to actually discuss some evidence in public. It’s very much like fundamental theism, with god being replaced with the mainstream. The circular logic is identical.

Such people have made me feel unwelcome, and no doubt that’s their intention. They’ll spend 10 hours slagging me off but won’t spend 1 hour to look at some actual evidence. It doesn’t seem to matter to such people anymore, it’s all about who can shout the loudest. It’s a lot less taxing than turning on their brains I guess.

Luckily the people in France are now fully awake and are trying to take back control of their country from the elite. It’s amazing to me that just a few miles away I’m in a country which is mostly sound asleep.

If anyone does want any sensible discussion, I’m still open to talking in PMs, and I won’t embarrass anyone by referring to any of it on the forum.

If your perspectives depend on most of us being a part of the conspiracy as well, then I think you are being paranoid.  We can't seem to agree on anything.  

There is an especially huge divide in mainstream thinking in the U.S. right now, and different mainstream media cater to different segments.

We all think our own perspectives are undervalued by others.  It's part of the human condition.  So welcome to the club.

I don't get conspiracy theorists at all. The world is already full of crazy happenings that are real. Don't have to get bogged down in made up shit. I'm starting to think it's more about being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian, than anything else.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Deesse23, Dancefortwo

I’m going to stop now
For whatever reason Rob can't see that we ridicule religious fundamentalists just as much as we ridicule conspiracy theorists. Guess he wants to feel special. Also y'know who claims "atheists are religious too!!?" Religious fundamentalists. So, Rob is kinda acting like a religious fundamentalist, here, if we go by that reasoning.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, Szuchow, Dancefortwo, SYZ, brunumb

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 12:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: For whatever reason Rob can't see that we ridicule religious fundamentalists just as much as we ridicule conspiracy theorists. Guess he wants to feel special. Also y'know who claims "atheists are religious too!!?" Religious fundamentalists. So, Rob is kinda acting like a religious fundamentalist, here, if we go by that reasoning.

...and exactly like the religious fundies, having no good arguments for his own proposition, he rests on the "you have faith (too)" argument. In his case its accusing everyone who isnt brainwashed like him of being brainwashed.

Why are people not engaging him in discussing his theories (based on weird YT personas): Why should anyone engage a flat earther or a Mormon? There is no need to discus ssuch absurdities. Its.a.waste.of.time.

But of course....its all part of the conspiracy and...."mainstream"* brainwhasing. Its Robs "default" argument when he has no sensible reply to what others criticize about his position. 100% case of projection from his side. I dont see him coming out of this positive feedback loop soon. But hey, i didnt push him down this rabbit hole. Others have issues with mental instability too, diving down into conspirary theory YT BS was not the wisest decision, no matter what people think of his cognitive abilities otherwise.

*i still havent seen a clear definition of what constitutes "mainstream" other than "what does not agree with me" or "what is commonly accepted" and why that should be faulty information per se (I evaluate information by its content, not by its source "mainstream" or otherwise). Rob is evidently heavily biased here and making up rationalisations to stick to that plan. Like any other religious nutcase, he should remember that you need to evaluate other theories/religions by the same standards than your own theory/religion. If he is willing to reject other weird theories based on his standards, then he should reconsider his own position. If he thinks other theories are just as "plausible" as his own, he shold consider re-evaluating his method of finding out what is true and what not.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Szuchow, SYZ

I’m going to stop now
robdab is famous for his theories.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 01:28 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 12:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: For whatever reason Rob can't see that we ridicule religious fundamentalists just as much as we ridicule conspiracy theorists. Guess he wants to feel special. Also y'know who claims "atheists are religious too!!?" Religious fundamentalists. So, Rob is kinda acting like a religious fundamentalist, here, if we go by that reasoning.

...and exactly like the religious fundies, having no good arguments for his own proposition, he rests on the "you have faith (too)" argument. In his case its accusing everyone who isnt brainwashed like him of being brainwashed.

Why are people not engaging him in discusisng his theories (base don weird YT personas): Why should anyone engage a flat earther or a Mormon? There is no need to discus ssuch absurdities. Its.a.waste.of.time.

But of course....its all part of the conspiracy and...."mainstream"* brainwhasing. Its Robs "default" argument when he has no sensible reply to what others criticize about his position. 100% case of projection from his side. I dont see him coming out of this positive feedback loop soon. But hey, i didnt push him down this rabbit hole. Others have issues with mental instability too, diving down into conspirary theory YT BS was not the wisest decision, no matter what people think of his cognitive abilities otherwise.

*i still havent seen a clear definition of what constitutes "mainstream" other than "what does not agree with me" or "what is commonly accepted" and why that should be faulty information per se (I evaluate information by its content, not by its source "mainstream" or otherwise). Rob is evidently heavily biased here and making up rationalisations to stick to that plan. Like any other religious nutcase, he should remember that you need to evaluate other theories/religions by the same standards than your own theory/religion. If he is willing to reject other weird theories based on his standards, then he should reconsider his own position. If he thinks other theories are just as "plausible" as his own, he shold consider re-evaluating his method of finding out what is true and what not.

In a different thread, I asked Rob to clarify if a couple of specific news outlets were MSM, and Rob agreed that they were.  Then I pointed out that they had actually reported some facts when he claimed they had not.  And then he claimed they hadn't reported the facts in a timely manner, when they actually had.  And then he admitted he was maybe wrong about this, so I felt better about him for a couple of minutes.  Except that it became evident almost immediately that none of the claim-checks done in that thread did anything to shake Rob's confidence in his conspiracist videos.  

I'd think if his sources can be debunked by two minutes of google search, or by someone with freshman college-level physics knowledge, he should turn to different sources, rather than keep pushing their nonsense.  I also feel that there have to be places online where his sources have written out their claims; I've asked for links to text rather than videos, but for some reason he won't do this.  The old forum rightly criticized theists who argued by video links alone, and IMO it is not unduly "aggressive" to ask that Rob present his claims using his own words, either.  Summarize the video's claims instead of asking people to watch it, for example.   

I also don't understand why Rob refuses to clarify his thoughts about the people (or beings?) at the top of these conspiracies and what goals they are trying to achieve.

But Rob said he's not reading any of these replies, so I guess I'm talking to the ether.
god, ugh
The following 5 users Like julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dānu, Szuchow, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 07:57 AM)robvalue Wrote: I realised my comments could have been construed as an insult towards the staff here, that totally wasn’t my intention! They are all awesome. I was talking about those with national/global clout as being the moronic and incompetent leaders we see.

I’m saddened by the very aggressive tone a lot of people have taken. I expected brainwashing, and the mainstream has done an excellent job, no doubt. But this kind of vitriol is strange. It’s a shame they can’t disagree with me in an adult manner. There might have been a chance of changing my mind through polite discussion, rather than a jeering mob bullying me into silence while ignoring any and all evidence I present. It’s a very stifling echo chamber, and it’s rather pathetic that none of these people dare to debate me; they have dug their heels in with their dogmatic protection of the mainstream so much that it would be too risky to their reputation now to actually discuss some evidence in public. It’s very much like fundamental theism, with god being replaced with the mainstream. The circular logic is identical.

Such people have made me feel unwelcome, and no doubt that’s their intention. They’ll spend 10 hours slagging me off but won’t spend 1 hour to look at some actual evidence. It doesn’t seem to matter to such people anymore, it’s all about who can shout the loudest. It’s a lot less taxing than turning on their brains I guess.

Luckily the people in France are now fully awake and are trying to take back control of their country from the elite. It’s amazing to me that just a few miles away I’m in a country which is mostly sound asleep.

If anyone does want any sensible discussion, I’m still open to talking in PMs, and I won’t embarress anyone by referring to any of it on the forum.

Not wanting to waste time on discussing some crap with guy who is essentialy screaming "wake up sheeple" isn't sign of being braineashed. Thanks to your nose dive into conspiracy shit you just have nothing of value to offer. But I guess it is easier to claim that others are brainwashed than face ugly truth.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

I’m going to stop now
I am confident he does read, even if you are on his ignore list. I am on his ignore list, and he PMed me to tell me that he isnt interested in what i have to say! Huh   hobo I ried to politely and honestly reply, but alas, i am on ignore. Facepalm

I agree with pretty much the rest of your diagnosis.  It all shows bias and post hoc rationalisation as well as having no clear or double standards.

It has been said a gazillion times, particularly by Abaris: there are conspiracies, there are conspiracies that are still active. But if you want to convince me just of the slightest possibility of such global deep and powerful conspiracies like he does, you better have more than a few 1h YT vids, telling me to watch them. I really have better things to do than to watch every 1h YT vid of any random idiot on the www (sorry for the word *idiot* but when idiocy is commited, its by people behaving like idiots. Yet, there ist still time to change).

Id even take his challenge and discuss some of his ideas, but he first need to explain to me how such vast conspiracies can be covered up so thoroughly for so long when so many people are involved. The conspiracies he and others claim to happen literally must involve thousands of conspirators, if not more and even vaster amounts of peole unknowingly (but probably with a lot of suspicion). Now why has never ever as single person who (claimed to have been) part of such a conspiracy ratted out?

I just watched a docu about Lehman Brothers and interviews by people who had been involved. Where are the journalists that have been fired, had to change job etc. who were working for the *mainstream brainwashing machine* ? Where are the people who have been on the losing end of internal power struggles, like in the Mafia? Where is all that hard evidence? Where are the people who were plagued with bad conscience? Where are even the wifes who rat out their conspirator husbands during a divorce (like the famous J. Walker, who was responsible for the Soviet "Walker class" submarines, aka. Akula). Where are those people?

All i ever see is self proclaimed experts or people with waaay too much time and YT accounts. Its beyond ridiculous.
R.I.P. Hannes

I’m going to stop now
Rob's a very odd version of Billy Pilgrim, as he's become unstuck in reality.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 05:16 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: I just watched a docu about Lehman Brothers and interviews by people who had been involved.

On ZDF neo? Yeah, I watched it too. Have seen it before, since the documentaries there are pretty much in a loop.

(02-09-2019, 05:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Rob's a very odd version of Billy Pilgrim, as he's become unstuck in reality.

Rob's a good and sensible guy, who's going through a phase. He wasn't that way in the past and I hope he will return to his old self.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Alan V, julep, Thumpalumpacus

I’m going to stop now
ZDF INFO

Yeah those franco-german docus (many broadcast on ARTE first) seem to be very well researched and the exact opposite of history Channel.
R.I.P. Hannes

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 06:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: ZDF INFO

Yeah, ZDF Info, of course. I mistook it for neo because I switched to an episode of father Brown on Neo afterwards.

I’m going to stop now
Disagreement is not a sign of brainwashing. Holding that that is the case is clearly a form of poisoning the well.

As for debating through PMs, I simply won't do it. The potentials for misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation are quite high, especially when one party is invested in describing the other as "brainwashed". If one's ideas cannot survive scrutiny, they're probably not worth holding.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, SYZ, Dānu, Deesse23

I’m going to stop now
I was reading the OP again and......well.....I may be way off base but it seems Rob is just taking his conspiracy theory fixation into the PM world.       Maybe there's a giant conspiracy theory to make everything look like a conspiracy  even though it isn't a conspiracy........but then  that would make it a conspiracy.  

Whistling
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ, Deesse23

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 09:35 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I was reading the OP again and......well.....I may be way off base but it seems Rob is just taking his conspiracy theory fixation into the PM world.       Maybe there's a giant conspiracy theory to make everything look like a conspiracy  even though it isn't a conspiracy........but then  that would make it a conspiracy.  

Whistling
I've not been here long. I don't really know anything about Robvalue. I don't understand what's going on here.

If I were a friend of Robvalue I would be concerned for him. I think things can get on top of people really quickly and unexpectedly. I wish I had something constructive to say. I don't.
The following 1 user Likes Nipper's post:
  • Deesse23

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 09:41 PM)Nipper Wrote: If I were a friend of Robvalue I would be concerned for him.

Rob's all right. And I am worried for him. For reasons I won't discuss on a forum.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • skyking

I’m going to stop now
I'm concerned for him, but in the end, he's gotta figure this shit out for himself, which is why I'm happy offering plain advice, but dissociating myself from his decisions on what to do with things. It's his horse, he's gonna ride it the way he wants.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark, Deesse23

I’m going to stop now
(02-09-2019, 07:57 AM)robvalue Wrote: I’m saddened by the very aggressive tone a lot of people have taken.

Rob mate... this is totally contradictory to your earlier opinion:  "You’ve mostly all been kind and understanding, and I appreciate it."
Please think about this, and relate it to what you're currently saying about us.  I've never been at all aggressive in my responses to you, and
have in fact offered you several positive suggestions and support, and a couple of links.  And bearing that in mind, you've not
once addressed my comments to you, nor have you really showed any appreciation for other members' thoughts and expressions
of help.  Life is a two-way street Rob; it's all about give and take.

Quote:I expected brainwashing, and the mainstream has done an excellent job, no doubt.

And this is one of your major mental roadblocks mate.  You "expected" brainwashing—but with little or no evidence supporting that
claim.  If we harbour a preconceived, strongly held presumptive outcome for any scenario, then it's a lot more difficult to judge the
true state of affairs objectively or rationally.  In fact, holding tight to those false preconceptions often encourages us to deny any
actual truths even more resolutely.  In other words, the distortion of the facts—as you're seeing them—only reinforces your
own view that in fact you are right.

Quote:But this kind of vitriol is strange. It’s a shame they can’t disagree with me in an adult manner.

Another misconception.  Everybody here has actually responded to you in an adult manner.  I know I have; (not that you've
acknowledged that of course, but it doesn't concern me really.)

Quote:There might have been a chance of changing my mind through polite discussion, rather than a jeering mob bullying me into silence while ignoring any and all evidence I present.

There's no "jeering mob" mate, and no "bullying" either.  This is just—again—a misconception on your part.

Quote:It’s a very stifling echo chamber, and it’s rather pathetic that none of these people dare to debate me; they have dug their heels in with their dogmatic protection of the mainstream so much that it would be too risky to their reputation now to actually discuss some evidence in public.

Rob; this forum is the essence of "public".  It was you who demanded to debate only in private by using PMs.  You also need to
define precisely what you mean by "mainstream" when you use it so consistently.  The media is simply what it is; we read it or
listen to it, and then we form our own unique opinions of its veracity or its falsehood.  Nobody here swallows the media flow
unquestioningly as you're implying.  Or are you claiming to be more perceptive than everybody else here?

Quote:It’s very much like fundamental theism, with god being replaced with the mainstream. The circular logic is identical.

No.  Consideration and evaluation of the news as it's presented to us is nothing like religious fundamentalism.  
If nothing else, atheists are skeptics personified.  It's almost a prerequisite LOL.

Quote:Such people have made me feel unwelcome, and no doubt that’s their intention.

No Rob.  Look at most of my my posts to you...

"Take it easy mate."  
"I'm pleased to hear this mate; keep it up!"  
"Glad to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing holiday Rob."  
"Take care mate, and we'll look forward to your return—as and when you see fit."

Quote:They’ll spend 10 hours slagging me off but won’t spend 1 hour to look at some actual evidence.

Uh... if you check back over your comments here, you'll find that you've not provided any evidence for your claims of conspiracies.  
You've merely said—numerous times—that they are happening.  That's it.  Hardly convincing mate.

Quote:If anyone does want any sensible discussion, I’m still open to talking in PMs, and I won’t embarrass anyone by referring to any of it on the forum.

Again;  you're demanding—for some unknown reason—to debate us, as individuals, in the privacy of PMs, while at the same time
accusing us of being fearful of to debating you in public.  These self-contradictory claims just don't make sense.

So please, feel free to debate us here on the forum.  I for one am more than happy to do so, and treat you with consideration and due respect.

Sun
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 6 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dānu, LadyforCamus, Deesse23, abaris, Alan V