Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petty Rules Interfere With the Smooth Operation of This Forum

Petty rules will interfere with the smooth operation of this forum. That is not only a fact; it is essentially a truism. I have pushed back against a petty rule. Apparently, some people have decided that the use of acronyms in thread titles is annoying. They decided to try to make a rule against it. I have refused to comply. The owner of the forum invoked the 'smooth operation of the forum' as her pretext for trolling a discussion titled 'AOC'. But the moderators have been doing nothing but trolling the discussion with their friends, all of whom are aggressively trying to derail the discussion. And while they are trolling the discussion, other people are sincerely trying to discuss AOC. The moderators and the owner of the forum are interfering with the smooth operation of the forum, intentionally.

What they won't admit, is that they are simply being petty. If they would just step back from their pettiness and stop trolling the discussion, then there would not be anything interfering with the smooth operation of this discussion.

We have had many discussions with acronyms in them. Trying to prohibit titles with acronyms is absolutely silly, and the 'Respect My Authoritah' Cartmenesqe attitude is even more petty.

Dear moderators, no on respects petty mods. Traffic has been slowing down a lot in this forum. It is getting to where discussion is basically just the mods affirming each other's worldview. You can't moderate a forum that way. You are going to have no one to talk to, and nothing that is interesting being said.

If you want to kill your own forum, then keep engaging in this petty nonsense. And by the way, I brought my problem about this to the appropriate place in the forum, instead of trolling your threads like you do to me.

In all honesty, this thread was uncalled for and you're acting exactly the way you are accusing the mods of acting. Grow up.
Even I didn't know what aoc stood for just by looking at the thread title alone. So, yeah, you could have been more clear about it rather than being a jerk.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 4 users Like Joods's post:
  • Vera, Paleophyte, Shai Hulud, theophilus

(01-12-2019, 05:24 PM)Joods Wrote: In all honesty, this thread was uncalled for and you're acting exactly the way you are accusing the mods of acting.  Grow up.
Even I didn't know what aoc stood for just by looking at the thread title alone. So,  yeah, you could have been more clear about it rather than being a jerk.

If you ever ask me to clarify something, I will. If you try to force me to comply with a petty rule, I'll tell you to piss right off.

Dozens of threads have been started in which we don't really know what they are about until we read them. Big freaking deal. Honestly, there is on poster whose threads I usually don't open because he gives them some spectacular title and then I open them and discover that the thread is terrible uninteresting (to me). Do I get angry at him? No, not really. Do I complain? No, not at all. I simply stopped opening his threads because the content just wasn't as interesting as the title. So big deal. It's nothing to get bent out of shape about.

I started this thread in exactly the part of the forum that it is supposed to be in. The mods are trolling a thread that they have a petty issue with. There is a difference. 

The issue that I am talking about here actually is an important issue. When moderators engage in pettiness, it really does destroy a forum. They are being petty, and it absolutely is appropriate to say something about it.

Jesus you are such a whiny bitch.

(01-12-2019, 05:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: Jesus you are such a whiny bitch.

So much this. And he's supposed to be an adult.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Vera

If it was that important, why couldn't you take five extra seconds to type it out so that people browsing the threads would know what the hell they're walking into?

I don't think it should be governed by a rule, myself, but this, of course, would rely upon thread-authors being clear. You obviously failed at that. Ignore you readership at your own risk.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Tres Leches, Joods, theophilus

(01-12-2019, 05:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If it was that important, why couldn't you take five extra seconds to type it out so that people browsing the threads would know what the hell they're walking into?

I don't think it should be governed by a rule, myself, but this, of course, would rely upon thread-authors being clear. You obviously failed at that. Ignore you readership at your own risk.

OK. I ignored my readership at my own risk. I intentionally chose to do that. I totally own it. But it was my right to do that, what with free speech and all. I didn't do anything to disrupt the smooth operation of this forum, and that is what Mathilda is trying to say that I did. I will continue to use acronyms as I please. If some of my readership feels ignored by that, then oh well.

I completely acknowledge that Mathilda owns the forum. She can destroy the forum with petty rules if that is what she wants to do. I'm just the guy who is telling her that she shouldn't do that and that I won't be a doormat for petty rules. It's her house, but that doesn't mean that I have to be a doormat in it. If the harassment continues, I will probably just stop posting here once I get tired of the pettiness. If Mathilda bans me for objecting to pettiness, she can do that.

Is this about a rule being objectively petty or you chafing against someone asserting their authority?

I try to avoid acronyms not just here but everywhere. It's not safe to assume everyone knows what an acronym means and it's annoying to read one that doesn't make sense. Effective communication means communicating in a way that your listener understands, not just in a way that you understand.

--Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 5 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Vera, Joods, Astreja, theophilus

(01-12-2019, 06:01 PM)Yonadav Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 05:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If it was that important, why couldn't you take five extra seconds to type it out so that people browsing the threads would know what the hell they're walking into?

OK. I ignored my readership at my own risk. I intentionally chose to do that. I totally own it. But it was my right to do that, what with free speech and all. I didn't do anything to disrupt the smooth operation of this forum, and that is what Mathilda is trying to say that I did. I will continue to use acronyms as I please. If some of my readership feels ignored by that, then oh well.

I completely acknowledge that Mathilda owns the forum. She can destroy the forum with petty rules if that is what she wants to do. I'm just the guy who is telling her that she shouldn't do that and that I won't be a doormat for petty rules. It's her house, but that doesn't mean that I have to be a doormat in it. If the harassment continues, I will probably just stop posting here once I get tired of the pettiness. If Mathilda bans me for objecting to pettiness, she can do that.

I've heard of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, but this is ridiculous. You really are so attached to acronyms that you'd stop posting over this? This is petty. Move on to something important, like picketing your local supermarket for not allowing you to carry your back-pack around inside.

If this is the biggest problem demanding your immediate attention and action, I'd say you're doing pretty goddamned good.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Vera, Joods

(01-12-2019, 06:02 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Is this about a rule being objectively petty or you chafing against someone asserting their authority?

I try to avoid acronyms not just here but everywhere. It's not safe to assume everyone knows what an acronym means and it's annoying to read one that doesn't make sense. Effective communication means communicating in a way that your listener understands, not just in a way that you understand.

--Teresa

Objectively? Meh, I try to avoid using that word.  This rule is petty. If I were doing something less petty, I would not object to the mods objecting. For example, I have complied with Dom's attempt at making a rule about not starting multiple threads about basically the same thing. It isn't petty. It is a rule that makes sense since too many discussions about basically the same thing becomes confusing to people who can't remember which discussions they were participating in because they are all basically the same. THAT is disruptive to the smooth operation of the forum.

Area Over the Curve???

[Image: 143-61067-babycrt-1412618128.jpg]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 4 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Vera, Joods, Dancefortwo

(01-12-2019, 06:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:01 PM)Yonadav Wrote:

I've heard of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, but this is ridiculous. You really are so attached to acronyms that you'd stop posting over this? This is petty. Move on to something important, like picketing your local supermarket for not allowing you to carry your back-pack around inside.

If this is the biggest problem demanding your immediate attention and action, I'd say you're doing pretty goddamned good.

I won the battle of the backpack. I can wear my backpack in that store now. My battle with the forum mods is about my liberal values against their illiberal values. And yes, I will totally go to the wall for my liberal values. No one tells me that I can't use acronyms. But seriously, how much do you think that posting in this forum is worth to me? Forums are not exactly a seller's market, dude.

You guys don't know what whining is.
There's the guy who lays down and gets fucked without a whimper. He is not a whiner, but he is a bitch.
There's the guy who lays down and gets fucked and then goes around and complains about it. He's a whiny bitch.
There's the guy who says 'I'm not laying down. Go fuck yourself.' He is neither whiner nor bitch.

(01-12-2019, 06:17 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I won the battle of the backpack. I can wear my backpack in that store now. My battle with the forum mods is about my liberal values against their illiberal values. And yes, I will totally go to the wall for my liberal values. No one tells me that I can't use acronyms. But seriously, how much do you think that posting in this forum is worth to me? Forums are not exactly a seller's market, dude.

If acronyms are that important to you, might I suggest a military forum?

(01-12-2019, 06:21 PM)Yonadav Wrote: You guys don't know what whining is.
There's the guy who lays down and gets fucked without a whimper. He is not a whiner, but he is a bitch.
There's the guy who lays down and gets fucked and then goes around and complains about it. He's a whiny bitch.
There's the guy who says 'I'm not laying down. Go fuck yourself.' He is neither whiner nor bitch.

You forgot one: the guy who draws a line in the sand simply because he's been asked to make his thread-titles clear. That's cool, bud, you go and take your stand against The Man. The fate of the Free World relies upon you succeeding.
On hiatus.
The following 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Vera, Fireball, julep, Szuchow, Joods, Tres Leches, Tartarus Sauce, theophilus

[Image: narcissus-caravaggio-300x363.jpg]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 8 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Vera, julep, Deesse23, Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo, Joods, TheGentlemanBastard

No, petty people do Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(01-12-2019, 06:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:17 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I won the battle of the backpack. I can wear my backpack in that store now. My battle with the forum mods is about my liberal values against their illiberal values. And yes, I will totally go to the wall for my liberal values. No one tells me that I can't use acronyms. But seriously, how much do you think that posting in this forum is worth to me? Forums are not exactly a seller's market, dude.

If acronyms are that important to you, might I suggest a military forum?

You forgot one: the guy who draws a line in the sand simply because he's been asked to make his thread-titles clear. That's cool, bud, you go and take your stand against The Man. The fate of the Free World relies upon you succeeding.

You sure turned the table on me there. 
"Comply with my petty rule!"
"I don't comply with illiberal petty bullshit."
"Oh yeah! You are being petty for not humoring my pettiness."
"Uh yeah, sure, OK."

(01-12-2019, 05:15 PM)Yonadav Wrote: Petty rules will interfere with the smooth operation of this forum. That is not only a fact; it is essentially a truism. I have pushed back against a petty rule. Apparently, some people have decided that the use of acronyms in thread titles is annoying. They decided to try to make a rule against it. I have refused to comply. The owner of the forum invoked the 'smooth operation of the forum' as her pretext for trolling a discussion titled 'AOC'. But the moderators have been doing nothing but trolling the discussion with their friends, all of whom are aggressively trying to derail the discussion. And while they are trolling the discussion, other people are sincerely trying to discuss AOC. The moderators and the owner of the forum are interfering with the smooth operation of the forum, intentionally.

What they won't admit, is that they are simply being petty. If they would just step back from their pettiness and stop trolling the discussion, then there would not be anything interfering with the smooth operation of this discussion.

We have had many discussions with acronyms in them. Trying to prohibit titles with acronyms is absolutely silly, and the 'Respect My Authoritah' Cartmenesqe attitude is even more petty.

Dear moderators, no on respects petty mods. Traffic has been slowing down a lot in this forum. It is getting to where discussion is basically just the mods affirming each other's worldview. You can't moderate a forum that way. You are going to have no one to talk to, and nothing that is interesting being said.

If you want to kill your own forum, then keep engaging in this petty nonsense. And by the way, I brought my problem about this to the appropriate place in the forum, instead of trolling your threads like you do to me.

[Image: airwank.gif]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Finite Monkeys

And there is a guy who start thread to cry about what he deems "petty rules". He is both a bitch and a whiner.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(01-12-2019, 06:57 PM)Yonadav Wrote: You sure turned the table on me there. 
"Comply with my petty rule!"
"I don't comply with illiberal petty bullshit."
"Oh yeah! You are being petty for not humoring my pettiness."
"Uh yeah, sure, OK."

1) It's not my rule, and I've already stated that I think it should be unnecessary. It's not my pettiness.

2) You agreed to abide by the forum's rules when you signed up. You should probably honor that commitment.

3) You've picked a stupid hill to fight over, but if that's what you want, great.

4) Thread-authors who don't practice clarity will probably not gain as much readership as they could have had they been clear in their title. You seem to value acronyms over conversation. That is fucking petty. It's no different than dismissing someone's point for having misspelled a word.

It's all good. You do you.

(01-12-2019, 06:36 PM)brewerb Wrote: [Image: narcissus-caravaggio-300x363.jpg]

I almost said "hole in one!", but this is your second post in this thread. An eagle's still a good shot.
On hiatus.

(01-12-2019, 06:17 PM)Yonadav Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:01 PM)Yonadav Wrote: OK. I ignored my readership at my own risk. I intentionally chose to do that. I totally own it. But it was my right to do that, what with free speech and all. I didn't do anything to disrupt the smooth operation of this forum, and that is what Mathilda is trying to say that I did. I will continue to use acronyms as I please. If some of my readership feels ignored by that, then oh well.

I won the battle of the backpack. I can wear my backpack in that store now. My battle with the forum mods is about my liberal values against their illiberal values. And yes, I will totally go to the wall for my liberal values. No one tells me that I can't use acronyms. But seriously, how much do you think that posting in this forum is worth to me? Forums are not exactly a seller's market, dude.

Well. You lose this one. 

Dig a hole deep enough and eventually you'll either fall in or someone will push you in.

By the way. ...how's all that winning going? 

That's right, you can't answer.
      Christianity: 
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Mathilda, Aliza

OMG, they killed Yonadav.

But seriously, I hope all sides can work this out. I've enjoyed Yon's participation but lets not thumb our nose at those who provide us with this forum by calling them out in a thread like this. For me acronyms are annoying but IMHO they're no worse than all the text talk that makes its way into dialog these days. I'm happy to leave it to everyones personal aesthetics though I might tell them how annoying I find it to have to google acronyms.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Tres Leches

I think an argument could be made that AOC is also a nickname as much as an acronym. Similar to LBJ or JFK.

I don't know the history of the banned guy or really any of the players involved, but he's not wrong about that appearing petty, and certainly a derailment of that thread initiated by people who seem happy to have him gone.

OMG, IMHO I also  think acronyms are a PITA.   smh
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, Fireball, Dom, Tres Leches, Deesse23, Tartarus Sauce

(01-12-2019, 05:15 PM)Yonadav Wrote: Petty rules will interfere with the smooth operation of this forum. That is not only a fact; it is essentially a truism. I have pushed back against a petty rule. Apparently, some people have decided that the use of acronyms in thread titles is annoying. They decided to try to make a rule against it. I have refused to comply. The owner of the forum invoked the 'smooth operation of the forum' as her pretext for trolling a discussion titled 'AOC'.

I remember that thread and opened it to find out what AOC meant.  When it didn't say and when you wouldn't say I went elsewhere.   Too much bother for whatever it may turn out to be.

(01-12-2019, 05:15 PM)Yonadav Wrote: But the moderators have been doing nothing but trolling the discussion with their friends, all of whom are aggressively trying to derail the discussion. And while they are trolling the discussion, other people are sincerely trying to discuss AOC. The moderators and the owner of the forum are interfering with the smooth operation of the forum, intentionally.

I don't think that is accurate.  They were interfering with the thread you started continuing on the trajectory you had in mind, but they did so in the interest of facilitation the smooth operation of the forum.  When you refuse to engage them in discussion about their concern, you are essentially setting yourself up over them.  I hear you blocked them so that they could not discuss it with you by PM.  That is just absurd.  You surely can't expect them to just let that go.  I wouldn't think they would, and neither would I want them to.  Your refusal to discuss with them in private and in good faith led them to do what I know they would prefer not to do.  Banning you may seem like a dick thing to do, but is you who made that happen.  Suicide by cop, or self-banning in this case.

(01-12-2019, 05:15 PM)Yonadav Wrote: What they won't admit, is that they are simply being petty. If they would just step back from their pettiness and stop trolling the discussion, then there would not be anything interfering with the smooth operation of this discussion.

You, Yonadav, are actin like a bully.  You are trying to force their hand.  You should apologize or go play somewhere else.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 5 users Like Mark's post:
  • Aliza, Mathilda, Shai Hulud, Tres Leches, Deesse23