Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ranting Corner 2.0

The Ranting Corner 2.0
So the furnace guy came Saturday. Turned on the furnace, started blowing hot air immediately. Dodgy he replaced our filter and claimed it was our dirty filter, which yeah needed changing, but wasn’t THAT bad.

Sunday, furnace is off again. Still waiting for them to come back. It’s 58 in my house. When the guy was here he did say that out new Nest (installed January and has worked fine until now) needs an extra wire. It’s not SUPPOSED to need the extra wire so they don’t install it..... unless it glitches like this. Of course I can pay them to run this extra wire.

My dad is in on his way to confirm whether I can run the wire myself. I know where to install the wire on both my thermostat and the furnace, it’s getting the wire from point A to point B I’m not so confident about. Ugh!!!!
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-06-2018, 09:24 PM)Smercury44 Wrote: So the furnace guy came Saturday. Turned on the furnace, started blowing hot air immediately. Dodgy he replaced our filter and claimed it was our dirty filter, which yeah needed changing, but wasn’t THAT bad.

Sunday, furnace is off again. Still waiting for them to come back. It’s 58 in my house. When the guy was here he did say that out new Nest (installed January and has worked fine until now) needs an extra wire. It’s not SUPPOSED to need the extra wire so they don’t install it..... unless it glitches like this. Of course I can pay them to run this extra wire.

My dad is in on his way to confirm whether I can run the wire myself. I know where to install the wire on both my thermostat and the furnace, it’s getting the wire from point A to point B I’m not so confident about. Ugh!!!!

It's furnace season already??

What exactly is a furnace, anyway? I know it warms your house. ... I'll just Google it.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Full Circle

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 04:45 AM)Aliza Wrote: It's furnace season already??

What exactly is a furnace, anyway? I know it warms your house. ... I'll just Google it.

[Image: EM9rl6c.gif?zoom=2]
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 04:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:

I'm still confused. Is the furnace connected to the radiator?

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 04:52 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 04:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:

First we had Florida-man and now Florida-woman.   Tongue
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 2 users Like Full Circle's post:
  • Vera, Chas

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 05:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 04:52 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 04:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote: [Image: EM9rl6c.gif?zoom=2]

First we had Florida-man and now Florida-woman.   Tongue

That's a northern thing. You want me to identify a black racer or a moccasin, I can do that. You want me to identify proper attire for snow, you will be disappointed (and probably freezing).
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Vera, Full Circle, Chas

The Ranting Corner 2.0
Let’s all please bow our heads for a moment of silence to pay our last respects to the suffix -ly. [Image: eDzIArf.gif?zoom=2]

-ly
  1. Used to form adjectives from nouns, the adjectives having the sense of "like or characteristic of what is denoted by the noun”.
Absolutely grates on my nerves when a speaker or writer (as in the case below) can’t seem to take the time to add the fucking suffix to the end of a noun. I think it makes them sound stupid and uneducated. 

"As I write this -- about 4 a.m. -- Donald Trump is soon to wake and begin tweeting inanities designed to obscure an inelegant truth: He lost the midterm election, bad.

No asshole, if he lost it at all he lost it badly. 
People do not drive ‘bad’, they drive badly. They do not want something ‘bad’, they want it badly. 

If you would have paid attention in school you wouldn’t be torturing the English language so fucking badly. 

End rant, [Image: oqeU4zV.gif?zoom=2]

Can you tell I didn’t like the results of the election?
  • Chas, Vera

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 05:04 AM)Aliza Wrote: That's a northern thing. You want me to identify a black racer or a moccasin, I can do that. You want me to identify proper attire for snow, you will be disappointed (and probably freezing).

Speaking of proper northern attire, what the hell is a muffler? I’m told it’s something you wear around your neck. I thought that was an albatross.  Consider 

Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Full Circle's post:
  • Vera

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 02:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:04 AM)Aliza Wrote: That's a northern thing. You want me to identify a black racer or a moccasin, I can do that. You want me to identify proper attire for snow, you will be disappointed (and probably freezing).

Speaking of proper northern attire, what the hell is a muffler? I’m told it’s something you wear around your neck. I thought that was an albatross.  Consider 

Big Grin

A muffler is something you wear on your hands. Even I know that. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The Ranting Corner 2.0

Big Grin

It's a warm scarf.

I suppose you don't know what a toque is either.  Hmm
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 02:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Speaking of proper northern attire, what the hell is a muffler? I’m told it’s something you wear around your neck. I thought that was an albatross. 

This...

[Image: muffler.png]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Old Man Marsh, TheGentlemanBastard

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 03:47 PM)Chas Wrote:

Big Grin

It's a warm scarf.

I suppose you don't know what a toque is either.  Hmm

I know now. I just Googled it.

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 02:52 PM)Aliza Wrote: A muffler is something you wear on your hands. Even I know that. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

That’s a muff actually Angel

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTJmmrE2wMILw_IEQFj1...YRDqDyxYIC]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Aliza, Marozz

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 02:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote: I thought that was an albatross.  Consider 

And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I... Undecided
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Full Circle, Marozz

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 01:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Absolutely grates on my nerves when a speaker or writer (as in the case below) can’t seem to take the time to add the fucking suffix to the end of a noun. I think it makes them sound stupid and uneducated...

Ahhh... someone after my own grammatical heart...

I loathe the current Aussie(?) habit of so-called "verbing", that is turning or using nouns and/or adjectives into, or as  verbs.

Such as:   he was stretchered off the field; we dialogued passionately; a student who regularly truanted  lessons;
a golf club personally signatured by their favorite sportsman; she's medalled 29 times in tournaments; the commander
advantaged  his field troops; the engineering was offshored to China; I genocided over 6 kinds of monsters; he said
he could loan her the book... ad rediculoso.

And yes:  I've seen all of those examples in print.     Thumbsdown
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Aliza, Full Circle, Vera, Vivian Darkbloom

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 03:47 PM)Chas Wrote: I suppose you don't know what a toque is either. 

I for one do Chas... I was growing the stuff for a while.    Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Aliza

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 04:44 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 01:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Absolutely grates on my nerves when a speaker or writer (as in the case below) can’t seem to take the time to add the fucking suffix to the end of a noun. I think it makes them sound stupid and uneducated...

Ahhh... someone after my own grammatical heart...

I loathe the current Aussie(?) habit of so-called "verbing", that is turning or using nouns and/or adjectives into, or as  verbs.

Such as:   he was stretchered off the field; we dialogued passionately; a student who regularly truanted  lessons;
a golf club personally signatured by their favorite sportsman; she's medalled 29 times in tournaments; the commander
advantaged  his field troops; the engineering was offshored to China; I genocided over 6 kinds of monsters; he said
he could loan her the book... ad rediculoso.

And yes:  I've seen all of those examples in print.     Thumbsdown

Luckily that hasn’t caughtered on here yet, already people in the US speak very bad.

Wink
  • Vera, JesseB

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 04:05 PM)Vera Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 02:52 PM)Aliza Wrote: A muffler is something you wear on your hands. Even I know that. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

That’s a muff actually Angel

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTJmmrE2wMILw_IEQFj1...YRDqDyxYIC]

Don’t do it Vera...

Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse
  • Vera, Smercury44

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 03:55 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 02:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Speaking of proper northern attire, what the hell is a muffler? I’m told it’s something you wear around your neck. I thought that was an albatross. 

This...

[Image: muffler.png]

Funny looking binoculars if you ask me.

And why call something an overcoat? Isn’t that simply a coat? Why not say I put on two coats? What if it was so cold you put on three coats? Would you then be wearing a coat, an overcoat and an overovercoat?
The following 1 user Likes Full Circle's post:
  • Vera

The Ranting Corner 2.0
@Full Circle Conversely, a sweater can be an undercoat Angel
[Image: JoyousEminentAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif]
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Full Circle, Alan V, Smercury44

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-07-2018, 05:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote: And why call something an overcoat? Isn’t that simply a coat? Why not say I put on two coats? What if it was so cold you put on three coats? Would you then be wearing a coat, an overcoat and an overovercoat?

It is called an overcoat since men already wore coats, even indoors.

[Image: 800px-Mens_Coats_1872_Fashion_Plate.jpg]
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

The Ranting Corner 2.0
Fucking pitch black at 5pm now.

Stupid earth and your stupid tilted axis.

Angry
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-08-2018, 03:28 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote: And why call something an overcoat? Isn’t that simply a coat? Why not say I put on two coats? What if it was so cold you put on three coats? Would you then be wearing a coat, an overcoat and an overovercoat?

So why not outcoat?

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-08-2018, 03:28 PM)Chas Wrote:

I wear a sweater everywhere I go, and in the winter, I wear a sweater on top of my sweater.

... I wear an oversweater!

The Ranting Corner 2.0
(11-09-2018, 05:20 PM)Unsapien Wrote: Fucking pitch black at 5pm now.

Stupid earth and your stupid tilted axis.

Angry

Gotta make it home early, before the monsters come out....