Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my "philosophy" as a humanist

A little diddy I wrote recently about some of my thoughts, while trying to put it into something somewhat cohesive I suppose lol I just thought I would share.

"Imagine a world where compassion, acceptance and tolerance were the norm, instead of hate, divisiveness and persecution.

Imagine a world where people worked together for a better existence, regardless of race, gender, beliefs or who they choose to love.

Imagine a world where people were kind to one another and treated each other with respect and love; not for any earthly or heavenly reward, but because its the right thing to do.

Imagine a world where common sense, logic and reason were practiced over superstition, dogma and ungrounded beliefs."

This is the basis of my beliefs and why I consider myself to be an atheist and secular humanist.
The following 2 users Like wintersoldier1287's post:
  • pattylt, Gwaithmir

Quite an admirable philosophy.

A delightful sentiment of people appreciating others, people embracing others, people loving others, too bad the people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • wintersoldier1287

(04-25-2024, 12:56 PM)no one Wrote: Quite an admirable philosophy.

A delightful sentiment of people appreciating others, people embracing others, people loving others, too bad the people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.

Spherical bastards.

Fritz Zwicky.

(04-25-2024, 11:56 AM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote: A little diddy I wrote recently about some of my thoughts, while trying to put it into something somewhat cohesive I suppose lol I just thought I would share.

"Imagine a world where compassion, acceptance and tolerance were the norm, instead of hate, divisiveness and persecution.

Imagine a world where people worked together for a better existence, regardless of race, gender, beliefs or who they choose to love.

Imagine a world where people were kind to one another and treated each other with respect and love; not for any earthly or heavenly reward, but because its the right thing to do.

Imagine a world where common sense, logic and reason were practiced over superstition, dogma and ungrounded beliefs."

This is the basis of my beliefs and why I consider myself to be an atheist and secular humanist.

Why is any of that "the right thing to do"? You invoked a moral dimension to a list of preferences.

(04-25-2024, 01:14 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 11:56 AM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote: A little diddy I wrote recently about some of my thoughts, while trying to put it into something somewhat cohesive I suppose lol I just thought I would share.

Why is any of that "the right thing to do"? You invoked a moral dimension to a list of preferences.

Because I believe in altruism. This is my personal preference and belief, not really up for debate.
The following 2 users Like wintersoldier1287's post:
  • pattylt, Deesse23

(04-25-2024, 01:38 PM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 01:14 PM)SteveII Wrote: Why is any of that "the right thing to do"? You invoked a moral dimension to a list of preferences.

Because I believe in altruism. This is my personal preference and belief, not really up for debate.

Yes, a preference--which does not make it "the right thing to do". Your "philosophy as a humanist" does not have much philosophy behind it.

Question: is this just wishful thinking or do you think it is actually possible?

Anyone who wonders why doing the right thing is the right thing to do has failed to grasp the concept of morality in the first place - and no further discussion or elaboration is required or even possible.

May as well ask why a cats a cat.
The following 6 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • wintersoldier1287, skyking, pattylt, TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus, Deesse23

(04-25-2024, 02:01 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Anyone who wonders why doing the right thing is the right thing to do has failed to grasp the concept of morality in the first place - and no further discussion or elaboration is required or even possible.

Yeah, I would say so. To me, a concern for others, and treating others ethically and good would be considered "the right thing." There are many others who agree with this, including most humanists. Some people like to disagree with things, regardless of the sentiment. This is why I will not add anything else to this, as some people can't be pleased, regardless of what they believe or don't believe.
The following 1 user Likes wintersoldier1287's post:
  • pattylt

(04-25-2024, 02:01 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Anyone who wonders why doing the right thing is the right thing to do has failed to grasp the concept of morality in the first place - and no further discussion or elaboration is required or even possible.

And make sure one is asking that of a cat.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Rhythmcs

Admirable philosophy but a bit like trying to bail out the ocean with a tea spoon.

Karl Marx correctly identifies the problem even if he completely misses the landing.

Quote:“The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guildmaster and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, that each time ended, either in the revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes.”

― Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Except 'revolutionary reconstitution of society' merely results in the creation of a new ruling class which quickly learns the traits of the ones they ousted while on the other hand the ruling classes are not "ruined."  They have sown division and hatred and are quite pleased with themselves.

These dynamics have been going on since humanity abandoned hunting and gathering and religion has been a big part of the divisiveness.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Inkubus

(04-25-2024, 02:10 PM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote:

Yeah, I would say so. To me, a concern for others, and treating others ethically and good would be considered "the right thing." There are many others who agree with this, including most humanists. Some people like to disagree with things, regardless of the sentiment. This is why I will not add anything else to this, as some people can't be pleased, regardless of what they believe or don't believe.

LOL. For a second I thought you wanted to discuss philosophy in a philosophy sub-forum with an OP labeled my "philosophy" as a humanist. My mistake.

They get upset when you take their words at face value.

If a person genuinely believes that a list as broad as compassion, acceptance, tolerance, hate, divisiveness, persecution, quality of life, cooperation, antiracism, egalitarianism, respect, and love are utterly devoid of moral import - just a list of preferences, then you cannot have a conversation about morality with such a person. If a person genuinely believes that doing the right thing, however defined, for it's own sake rather than as some advantageous transaction is, likewise, meaningless...then whatever conversation you have, with whatever terms you choose, by any metrics you like....you will not be talking about the same thing as said person even if you're using the same words as said person.

All you can do is understand and respect their invocation of moral nihilism as a genuine belief. OFC, in this case, there's no genuine anything going on, because it's Steve.
The following 3 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • skyking, Inkubus, Deesse23

(04-25-2024, 01:49 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 01:38 PM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote: Because I believe in altruism. This is my personal preference and belief, not really up for debate.

Yes, a preference--which does not make it "the right thing to do". Your "philosophy as a humanist" does not have much philosophy behind it.

Question: is this just wishful thinking or do you think it is actually possible?
(my bold)

It's never been possible with Christianity, so maybe it's time we tried secular methods.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • pattylt

(04-25-2024, 04:38 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 02:10 PM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote: Yeah, I would say so. To me, a concern for others, and treating others ethically and good would be considered "the right thing." There are many others who agree with this, including most humanists. Some people like to disagree with things, regardless of the sentiment. This is why I will not add anything else to this, as some people can't be pleased, regardless of what they believe or don't believe.

LOL. For a second I thought you wanted to discuss philosophy in a philosophy sub-forum with an OP labeled my "philosophy" as a humanist. My mistake.

You really are an asshole, Steve.
The following 4 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Minimalist, pattylt, Szuchow, Inkubus

Little stevieboi is the whole ass, and a cowardly one.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(04-25-2024, 05:28 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 04:38 PM)SteveII Wrote: LOL. For a second I thought you wanted to discuss philosophy in a philosophy sub-forum with an OP labeled my "philosophy" as a humanist. My mistake.

You really are an asshole, Steve.

Imagine what he'd be like without god directing him.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Probably be an improvement....his god is a scumbag if you read that silly-assed bible of his.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brewerb, Gwaithmir

(04-25-2024, 09:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Probably be an improvement....his god is a scumbag if you read that silly-assed bible of his.

Yeah, if this is the best version of Steve that god can do it's time for god to call it quits.
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • pattylt, Rhythmcs, Gwaithmir

(04-25-2024, 10:23 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 09:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Probably be an improvement....his god is a scumbag if you read that silly-assed bible of his.

Yeah, if this is the best version of Steve that god can do it's time for god to call it quits.

I realized a while ago that Steve doesn’t want to discuss, he just wants to win.  He doesn’t want to learn, he just wants to teach (preach).  He doesn’t want to interact, he just wants to act.
The following 7 users Like pattylt's post:
  • brewerb, Minimalist, Inkubus, SYZ, TheGentlemanBastard, 1Sam15, Deesse23

(04-25-2024, 10:34 PM)pattylt Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 10:23 PM)brewerb Wrote: Yeah, if this is the best version of Steve that god can do it's time for god to call it quits.

I realized a while ago that Steve doesn’t want to discuss, he just wants to win.  He doesn’t want to learn, he just wants to teach (preach).  He doesn’t want to interact, he just wants to act.

God given false entitlement?
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • pattylt

(04-25-2024, 10:23 PM)brewerb Wrote: Yeah, if this is the best version of Steve that god can do it's time for god to call it quits.

That's why I shit all over him....for the amusement of everyone else!
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt

(04-25-2024, 11:56 AM)wintersoldier1287 Wrote: ..."Imagine a world where common sense, logic and reason were practiced over superstition, dogma and ungrounded beliefs."

You mean as in the Abrahamic bible?       Hmm

My only real response to you is that it seems you
have a very cynical opinion of your fellow man.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Do you imagine that I came to AD to discuss the tens of thousands of things we all certainly agree on?

You are mistaken about my learning. I learn in the interaction with people I disagree with by responding in a clear manner and to each development in the discussion. I research or check concepts as they come up. For example, I learned tons of things in the abortion thread about Natural Law, teleology, and moral realism. Ironically, I probably learn more in my interactions here than anyone else.

(04-26-2024, 02:34 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 10:34 PM)pattylt Wrote: I realized a while ago that Steve doesn’t want to discuss, he just wants to win.  He doesn’t want to learn, he just wants to teach (preach).  He doesn’t want to interact, he just wants to act.

Do you imagine that I came to AD to discuss the tens of thousands of things we all certainly agree on?

You are mistaken about my learning. I learn in the interaction with people I disagree with by responding in a clear manner and to each development in the discussion. I research or check concepts as they come up. For example, I learned tons of things in the abortion thread about Natural Law, teleology, and moral realism. Ironically, I probably learn more in my interactions here than anyone else.

I believe you came to proselytize. Learning, if anything seems secondary, and appears to me to be just a cover story.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(04-26-2024, 02:34 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 10:34 PM)pattylt Wrote: I realized a while ago that Steve doesn’t want to discuss, he just wants to win.  He doesn’t want to learn, he just wants to teach (preach).  He doesn’t want to interact, he just wants to act.

(my bold)

You're so fucking humble, too.

Get bent, you cowardly ass crack.
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • wintersoldier1287, Szuchow