Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Intrinsic Honesty of Atheism

(05-05-2024, 02:23 AM)pattylt Wrote: I’m resistant to anesthesia and opiates, too.  Once it was discovered…woke up in the middle of a knee surgery…I now tell all my doctors and dentists.  I don’t ever want to wake up during a procedure…ever!
I've heard this described as "being a fast metabolizer", meaning, your body clears the dose prematurely. Or at least that is how my wife has been characterized by her doctors. She once woke up in the middle of a colonoscopy. Let's just say, she has declined them ever since.

Of course that's a lot lower level of sedation than general surgery ... she had 3 of those last year without difficulty.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

(05-05-2024, 11:00 PM)mordant Wrote:
(05-05-2024, 02:23 AM)pattylt Wrote: I’m resistant to anesthesia and opiates, too.  Once it was discovered…woke up in the middle of a knee surgery…I now tell all my doctors and dentists.  I don’t ever want to wake up during a procedure…ever!
I've heard this described as "being a fast metabolizer", meaning, your body clears the dose prematurely. Or at least that is how my wife has been characterized by her doctors. She once woke up in the middle of a colonoscopy. Let's just say, she has declined them ever since.

Of course that's a lot lower level of sedation than general surgery ... she had 3 of those last year without difficulty.

Yes, they call it being a hypermetabolizer.  She needs to get her colonoscopy when it’s due!  It’s so important.  But either you or she should let them all know she needs extra sedation and/or close monitoring.  I told the doctor doing my last one and I don’t remember a thing!  Just the way I like them! 

Does she have pain pills (opiates) wear off in about 2 hours like I do?

So it comes to this.  The intrinsic honesty of atheism leads to the unveiled truth of colonoscopy.  Is there any wonder youngsters the world over give philosophy a pass and head for the beach with their surfboards instead?  Tsk.  Dunno
The following 3 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Deesse23, pattylt, mordant

One of the unexpected barriers to becoming atheist for believers such as SteveII who widely evangelize and publicize their reasons for believing is that as their above average intellect subtly but relentlessly keeps nudging them away from inescapable absurdities and toward atheism, they realize they'll have to face an audience that has said "we told you so" to all their entreaties and the embarrassment could be too much to overcome.  Tongue
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • pattylt, Minimalist

(05-06-2024, 01:40 AM)pattylt Wrote:
(05-05-2024, 11:00 PM)mordant Wrote: I've heard this described as "being a fast metabolizer", meaning, your body clears the dose prematurely. Or at least that is how my wife has been characterized by her doctors. She once woke up in the middle of a colonoscopy. Let's just say, she has declined them ever since.

Yes, they call it being a hypermetabolizer.  She needs to get her colonoscopy when it’s due!  It’s so important.  But either you or she should let them all know she needs extra sedation and/or close monitoring.  I told the doctor doing my last one and I don’t remember a thing!  Just the way I like them! 

Does she have pain pills (opiates) wear off in about 2 hours like I do?
She does ColoGuard instead.

In general, opiates barely even effect her. She wonders what the big deal is. Oxycodone did take the edge off on her knee replacements though.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

The upper end of addict resistance sets a baseline for possible impotency in the gp. Something to think about, when we think about painkillers.

Need to look at the individuals ADME before coming to any conclusions. All things considered it's probably not worth the testing, simplest is dose for effect.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental.