Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My introduction

My introduction
Hello all! I'd like to begin by telling you about how I became an atheist.

I grew up in Latin America, and I went to Catholic school when I was a kid. Despite its religious nature, the school I went to still chose to teach science-related topics (such as evolution), which contradict religious beliefs about creation. They taught us about early humans and the axial age, for example, but then they turned around and taught us about the Bible. I recall one day in particular; we were learning about the European conquest of the Americas, which cannot be discussed without mentioning the forced conversions to Christianity. The teacher said that if the Europeans had not reached the Americas, we would still be speaking native languages and we would still follow native religions. Yet the same teacher went on to teach religion as if nothing had happened.

I decided to join because I don't get to talk to many atheists, and I'd like to meet people who share my views, while at the same time meeting people I disagree with and learning from
 them.

My introduction
Welcome to sanity.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Houdini, mordant

My introduction
Welcome Woof
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
Welcome.

Will you be doing any magic tricks?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Houdini, brewerb

My introduction
Welcome. Glad you found us and hope you’ll continue sharing stories with us!
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
Welcome!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
(03-28-2024, 08:32 PM)Houdini Wrote: Hello all! I'd like to begin by telling you about how I became an atheist.

I grew up in Latin America, and I went to Catholic school when I was a kid. Despite its religious nature, the school I went to still chose to teach science-related topics (such as evolution), which contradict religious beliefs about creation. They taught us about early humans and the axial age, for example, but then they turned around and taught us about the Bible. I recall one day in particular; we were learning about the European conquest of the Americas, which cannot be discussed without mentioning the forced conversions to Christianity. The teacher said that if the Europeans had not reached the Americas, we would still be speaking native languages and we would still follow native religions. Yet the same teacher went on to teach religion as if nothing had happened.

I decided to join because I don't get to talk to many atheists, and I'd like to meet people who share my views, while at the same time meeting people I disagree with and learning from
 them.

Welcome Houdini!  I'm impressed that your Catholic School taught some science; most are a bit weak on that. I dated a girl from a Catholic school for 2 years, and what she didn't know was sometimes very surprising!

You didn't really explain how you became an atheist, though.  Please tell us more about that.  For some of us (like me) it was easy.  For some, it is a real struggle.

The movement of people over time and distance is an interest of mine.  It is hard on indiginous people, but those with advanced technologies or other advantages have done that everywhere through history.  The Roman Empire was sacked by Gothic tribes from The Baltics and Ukraine, leaving us modern France, Spain, Germany, and Italy.  China was conquered by people from Mongolia and the North several times, etc.  It has happened everywhere.   Sad   No one is actually where they used to be.

But I look forward to hearing more from you.  Again, welcome...
A bully hides his fears with fake bravado. That is the opposite of self-assertiveness.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
(03-28-2024, 08:32 PM)Houdini Wrote: Hello all! I'd like to begin by telling you about how I became an atheist.

them.

The requirermiento saw a lot of use here in Tejas. Welcome and let's talk.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
Welcome and glory to the Revolution.

Just joking. About revolution part that is.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
(03-28-2024, 08:32 PM)Houdini Wrote: ...

them.

Hope you find something here that you like.

As it happens, as of late, the most vigorous conversation has been with recalcitrant antihuman fools who post walls-of-text. And it doesn't even make for rewarding reading.

Feel free to start your own threads and conversations. [as if I own the place.........]
I am not fire-wood!
The following 1 user Likes AutisticWill's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
(03-29-2024, 05:26 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Welcome Houdini!  I'm impressed that your Catholic School taught some science; most are a bit weak on that.  I dated a girl from a Catholic school for 2 years, and what she didn't know was sometimes very surprising!

You didn't really explain how you became an atheist, though.  Please tell us more about that.  For some of us (like me) it was easy.  For some, it is a real struggle.

The movement of people over time and distance is an interest of mine.  It is hard on indiginous people, but those with advanced technologies or other advantages have done that everywhere through history.  The Roman Empire was sacked by Gothic tribes from The Baltics and Ukraine, leaving us modern France, Spain, Germany, and Italy.  China was conquered by people from Mongolia and the North several times, etc.  It has happened everywhere.   Sad   No one is actually where they used to be.

But I look forward to hearing more from you.  Again, welcome...

I became an Atheist after I learnt about the axial age, and I realized that religion evolved as a cultural phenomenon, for many reasons such as the fear of death and explaining the natural world. However, it did not happen overnight. I started doubting religion in 2016, but it wasn't until 2018 that I was fully convinced of my beliefs (or lack thereof).

Oh, and maybe I should mention that while I have some Native ancestry, I'm mostly of European descent, so I found it really funny that the teacher from my story said I'd be native if the age of discovery didn't happen, but in reality many people would not even exist without colonization.
The following 7 users Like Houdini's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, AutisticWill, pattylt, brewerb, Alan V, skyking, mordant

My introduction
That is really a wonderful story. They planted the seeds of reason in you and they sprouted.
Welcome aboard.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Houdini

My introduction
welcome aboard!

My introduction
Come on in and pull up a chair.
Formerly WiCharlie Sun

My introduction
Looks as if Houdini has escaped!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Alan V

My introduction
(04-08-2024, 02:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Looks as if Houdini has escaped!

Or drowned. Should we send thoughts and prayers?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

My introduction
Hello and welcome.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard