Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Creator

The Creator
(03-10-2024, 12:45 PM)Charladele Wrote: Very few people read the chapters of the bible AFTER Jesus supposedly died and ascended.  You will discover that the disciples all went out and performed many of the "miracles" that Jesus did.  I guess the people who wrote those chapters just didn't get the gist of the story. Jesus was s'posed to be "special." I guess if regular everyday folks can do the same things as him (healing the sick, casting out demons, yada, yada) it puts a cabosh on the whole delightful illusion. It's also why preachers never use those chapters in their sermons.

It's funny because Jesus and some of his merry men were Jewish, and it's against Jewish law to perform magic. (Magic, not illusions where everyone knows anyone can do it with the same moves). It seems that Jesus had a lot of trouble following Torah law. He was objectively a bad Jew by all Jewish standards. 

So he supposedly wrote the Torah, and the he broke the law over and over, and over, and criticized others for breaking the law too. 

I dunno. I don't know the Christian Bible like a Christian does, but when I read it as a Jew, with a Jewish education, it reads as sad and pathetic. It's as if Jesus or the people who spoke for him had no Jewish education whatsoever.

Have I mentioned today how much I can't stand Jesus? I don't think I have.

Jesus was a horrible douche with the obvious intent to deceive innocent people. Something was wrong in his head. 

There. I feel better getting that off my chest.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dānu, 1Sam15, epronovost, pattylt

The Creator
Quote:It's as if Jesus or the people who spoke for him had no Jewish education whatsoever.

Well they were Greeks living far (by the standards of the  time) from Judaea so there's much to be said for that point.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

The Creator
I have heard of the explanation for the apostles performing miracles. I goes something like this…Jesus/god allowed the miracles in order to spread the gospel. When the apostles died, the end of the miracles took place (and now are only performed when it’s someone with a low IQ or has an audience of suckers. Jesus/god also occasionally appears on toast and dog asses.)

Never doubt that they have an explanation for everything in the Bible. They just like to avoid it because too many people aren’t that stupid.
The following 2 users Like pattylt's post:
  • Szuchow, mordant

The Creator
(03-10-2024, 05:17 PM)pattylt Wrote: I have heard of the explanation for the apostles performing miracles.  I goes something like this…Jesus/god allowed the miracles in order to spread the gospel.  When the apostles died, the end of the miracles took place (and now are only performed when it’s someone with a low IQ or has an audience of suckers.  Jesus/god also occasionally appears on toast and dog asses.)

Never doubt that they have an explanation for everything in the Bible.  They just like to avoid it because too many people aren’t that stupid.
Lol. More typically they'll claim that the miracles ended with when the NT canon was officially complete, because the miracles were needed to authenticate the teaching in the absence of scripture. As if scripture actually proves anything.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

The Creator
Apollonius of Tyana was way cooler than this jesus clown.... and had the advantage of being real!

https://classicalwisdom.com/people/philo...us-christ/

Quote:Apollonius of Tyana was a remarkable and complex person. In the Ancient World he was called a magician, a fraud, a scientist and many even believed that he was a divine figure who could save humanity. Many saw him as a pagan messiah and indeed, he was more popular than Jesus for a time in the Roman Empire.

We know quite a lot about this fascinating man, but much of it is unfortunately unreliable. It appears that he lived in the first century A.D, though some believe that he lived much later. He was almost certainly a Greek born in Tyana, Roman Cappadocia, which is now in the modern nation of Turkey. Apollonius was educated in a local temple and became a religious teacher. He later became a follower of the religious teacher and mathematician Pythagoras and was heavily influenced by his philosophies.
Apollonius of Tyana taught the doctrine of reincarnation, that the soul is constantly being re-born and that how people lived in their past life determines how they are re-born. Like Pythagoras, he urged listeners not to eat meat and not to commit violence so that they could be re-born in the best way possible.
Apollonius advocated that people should live a simple and ascetic life, and did so himself. He lived a very Spartan existence and once did not speak for five years. He also preached chastity and condemned the drinking of alcohol.

The Creator
(03-10-2024, 08:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Apollonius of Tyana was way cooler than this jesus clown.... and had the advantage of being real!

https://classicalwisdom.com/people/philo...us-christ/

Quote:Apollonius of Tyana ... lived a very Spartan existence and once did not speak for five years. He also preached chastity and condemned the drinking of alcohol.

Sounds like an asshole to me....

SHOUT! Bring on the booze and the boys, yum!
I am not fire-wood!

The Creator
According to the jesus freaks their boy never read a newspaper, took a dump or jerked off....but they still insist he was "human."
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt

The Creator
(03-11-2024, 01:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote: According to the jesus freaks their boy never read a newspaper, took a dump or jerked off....but they still insist he was "human."
I never heard them claim he never took a dump and obviously there were no newspapers but they would definitely insist he never jerked off, because that's the most important of those three things by far!
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

The Creator
Quote:I never heard them claim he never took a dump

That was from some moron at AF.com years ago.  They love to back themselves into these silly theological corners!

I think at one point I asked him where he thought the term "Holy Shit" came from.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, mordant

The Creator
(03-07-2024, 01:48 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 01:26 AM)Charlie24 Wrote: There's nothing surprising about the God of the Old Testament being Jesus Christ?

That's an odd response for the Scripture reader to have, who doesn't know it.

This is a mistake on my part. I said yesterday before I created this thread, "this is to much for guys right now."

Now you all think I'm crazy because I have taken this to a level that I knew would be to advanced for you to comprehend.

So I take the fault here.
(my bold)

My, but you're a legend in your own mind, aren't you?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • pattylt