Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requirements for a Prophecy

(03-06-2024, 05:04 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 04:58 AM)Cavebear Wrote: You really are a one-trick pony in your posts...  Is there anything in your life beyond non-evidential "faith" and "God said it"?  I mean, most people have questions about "something", and you don't seem to.

I heard a great preacher once say, it's impossible for any man to absorb all that God desires to teach us from His Words, in this lifetime. I have found that is correct, I would dare say several lifetimes. But I keep trying in this lifetime.

1. There are some people who preach well, but that doesn't mean they are saying anything real.

2. Just stating unsupported claims doesn't mean they are true.

3. Claiming a deity exists doesn't make it true.

4. Making a claim of truth requires evidence.

5. Your claim that there is a deity has no evidence to support it.
A bully hides his fears with fake bravado. That is the opposite of self-assertiveness.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Chas

(03-06-2024, 05:20 AM)Dānu Wrote:

Danu, just for you I'm going to start a new thread tomorrow sometime and show you the Biblical fact that Jesus Christ, the One who hung on that Cross some 2000 years ago is the Creator of this universe.

Now I know you don't believe it, Him or the Scripture, but I will show you what the Scripture really says about Jesus Christ.

Charly, no offense, but the last thing this world needs is overconfident morons like you plastering the world with the idiocy they are too stupid and ignorant and deluded to recognize as such.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • pattylt, Chas, Cavebear

(03-06-2024, 03:39 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 03:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I know of only two prophecies for something that a) were predicted long before they b) actually came true.

The first was H. L. Mencken writing in 1920 in The Baltimore Sun.

[Image: EIJkH51XkAEoGbz?format=jpg&name=small]

This prophecy came true on Jan. 21, 2001 when Dubya entered the White House and was grossly superceded on Jan. 21, 2017 when Fuckface entered the White House.  But a prophecy only has to come true once.

The second was Paddy Chayevsky's 1976 screenplay for Network in which he accurately predicted that the news media would become just another function of corporate greed in a ratings battle and devolve into idiocy.  In 1996, Rupert Murdoch founded FOX NEWS.

The fucking bible has nothing to match that and neither does the fucking koran.

I have a better one, prophesied 700 years before the fact of Christ' birth.

Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Luke 2:7 - And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

{Yawn}  I know you are an asshole, Charlie.  You don't have to keep proving it.

https://www.bibleref.com/Isaiah/9/Isaiah...r%20nation.

Quote:[color=var(--color-secondary)]What does Isaiah 9:6 mean?[/color]

Quote:This is a famous verse that modern Christians tend to think of as a Christmas passage. That's because it predicts the birth of Jesus, the hope of salvation for all peoples. However, it is also the promise of God to Israel of a deliverer, a Messiah, who will restore glory and joy to their nation. This child will be the King of Israel, as well as of the world.

BTW...your inept "god" fucked this one up, too!

Stop telling Jews how to be Jews.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

(03-06-2024, 05:33 AM)Dānu Wrote: Charly, no offense, but the last thing this world needs is overconfident morons like you plastering the world with the idiocy they are too stupid and ignorant and deluded to recognize as such.

I realize that, but the subject came up and I intend to follow it through.

I don't like for something to rise up in conversation and not explain it.

You are incapable of explaining much of anything.  Running your mouth is not an "explanation."
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt

(03-06-2024, 05:27 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 05:20 AM)Dānu Wrote:

Danu, just for you I'm going to start a new thread tomorrow sometime and show you the Biblical fact that Jesus Christ, the One who hung on that Cross some 2000 years ago is the Creator of this universe.

Now I know you don't believe it, Him or the Scripture, but I will show you what the Scripture really says about Jesus Christ.

Charlie, is there anything you believe that is not specifically stated in the Christian bible? I mean, if there is something not in there, do you agree with it ever?
A bully hides his fears with fake bravado. That is the opposite of self-assertiveness.

(03-06-2024, 05:54 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 05:27 AM)Charlie24 Wrote: Danu, just for you I'm going to start a new thread tomorrow sometime and show you the Biblical fact that Jesus Christ, the One who hung on that Cross some 2000 years ago is the Creator of this universe.

Charlie, is there anything you believe that is not specifically stated in the Christian bible?  I mean, if there is something not in there, do you agree with it ever?

Every morning I have 2-3 cups of coffee, I don't think that's in Scripture but I believe the coffee is real.

As far as the way I am to conduct myself in this life, it's all found in the Scripture, nothing missing at all.

I'm thinking that is more important than anything in this world, it determines my destiny in future infinity.

You really are an absolute fucking imbecile, chuck. Completely incapable of forming a single original thought.

(03-06-2024, 06:05 AM)no one Wrote: You really are an absolute fucking imbecile, chuck. Completely incapable of forming a single original thought.

I know, I bother some folks. It might be best for you to ignore me, no one.

I won't take it personal knowing I push some folks to their limits without trying.

You, don't "know" anything.

Your utter inability to formulate even the most fundamental individual conclusion is beautifully illustrated by your response to cavebear.

I should not be surprised though, it is overwhelmingly expected from a fool who constantly demonstrates its exhaustive intellectual ineptitude.

(03-06-2024, 06:37 AM)no one Wrote: You, don't "know" anything.

Your utter inability to formulate even the most fundamental individual conclusion is beautifully illustrated by your response to cavebear.

I should not be surprised though, it is overwhelmingly expected from a fool who constantly demonstrates its exhaustive intellectual ineptitude.

Yea, I took a lot blows in the ring and on the street, lol, that may account for my intellectual disabilities.

I'm just a guy who has felt the hand of God in creating a new life, I owe it all to Him.

If you're insulted by that, I'm sorry. I mean you no harm in being here. 

It's well past my bedtime, see you tomorrow.

(03-06-2024, 06:02 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 05:54 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Charlie, is there anything you believe that is not specifically stated in the Christian bible?  I mean, if there is something not in there, do you agree with it ever?

Every morning I have 2-3 cups of coffee, I don't think that's in Scripture but I believe the coffee is real.

As far as the way I am to conduct myself in this life, it's all found in the Scripture, nothing missing at all.

I'm thinking that is more important than anything in this world, it determines my destiny in future infinity.

2-3 cups of coffee in the morning may explain a lot. LOL!

(03-06-2024, 03:19 AM)mordant Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 03:12 AM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Easy.  Tell him to use quranic science™ to lay out something, anything, we don't already know... and that should have him off your nuts until the other side of the heat death of the universe.
Well that's easy, he just has to say that Allah is real -- that's something "we" don't already know. Better to say, invent some new innovative thing using the Quran, such as a solar panel that's 10x as efficient and 1/10th the cost of anything currently available, or a working nuclear fusion reactor that runs around the clock producing way more energy than it uses, or an EV with a range of 750 miles that recharges from empty to full in 60 seconds. Something the world actually could use.
Excellent.  He says allah is real and we don't know that yet.... and you'll be dead...and the earth will be consumed by the sun.... long before anyone can ever demonstrate as much.

This thread has precisely nothing to do with your sheer, insipid gibberish, chuck.

The originator of this thread, Jarsa, was inquiring about specific information entirely unrelated to your specialized style of stupidity. And yet, that shrunken walnut in that disturbingly desolate skull of yours, somehow interpreted it as an invitation to regurgitate the infernal bullshit you've been swallowing your entire life.

It is certainly obvious, that the previously cited shriveled walnut in that otherwise hollow skull of yours, is completely incapable of any form of cognition. Thoroughly devoid of any ability for comprehension, I'm surprised you've figured out how to breathe.

Hey Chuck. You know what they find when someone says Godidit and scientists go and see what did it? It's never godidit. Not once.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Minimalist, pattylt, Chas

(03-06-2024, 06:15 AM)Charlie24 Wrote: I know, I bother some folks. It might be best for you to ignore me, no one.

I won't take it personal knowing I push some folks to their limits without trying.

While I don't approve of all the insults atheists throw at you, I understand them insofar as your religious stance makes you something of a condescending know-it-all, someone who can't imagine any other explanations for the thoughts and behaviors of others besides your self-serving dogmas.

--------------------

As for the requirements of a prophecy, I would say a prophecy would have to be a real violation of the laws of physics, some statement which couldn't be explained in any simpler way (like as a good guess or a coincidence).  That would make prophecies impossible to verify as such, since there are always much more likely explanations.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • 1Sam15

I have little patience for those who behave like dear little Charlie, for the exact reasons so eloquently stated by Mr. Five.

I do not have any issues in an open, honest, respectful conversation, however when those that refuse to accept anything but their own "self serving dogmas", and have zero issues with sly, under the radar attacks against other dogmas, all the while crying about being attacked themselves, all the cordial welcoming and gracious behavior goes out the window.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Alan V, 1Sam15

The problem with Prophecy is that it falls under "confirmation bias" - If it comes true, then it 100% worked and wasn't a coincidence. If it doesn't come true, it's never spoken of again.

Even then it would need to be crazy specific as people with certain levels of specified knowledge on subjects can see pattern emerging and make a more "educated guess" that something will happen/not happen. There is still that room for error, but people can do this with pretty decent accuracy. Thats not prophecy though.

In short - you're not going to find any actual proof of prophecy, because it's never actually happened to the degree that would make it believable in anyway at all.

Every "prophecy" ever made is VERY vague and doesn't really give direct specifics [For example: On Saturday 12th of October 2024, at midday in EST, YOU will drop a coffee mug and the mug will have a heart on the front, and it'll shatter into 317 pieces.] because thats how they work, its all "in the age of madeuppytimes a person will arise from an area of the world and become king" [King then can be interpreted however you like, to mean any posistion of power, for example]. And even then for every 1 prophecy that has ever "come true" the same "prophet" made 300 other prophecies that didn't come to pass.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V, emjay

(03-06-2024, 02:03 AM)Jarsa Wrote: A Muslim friend of mine is putting together a doc with Islamic prophecies. I told him I would convert if he could give me a prophecy that has become fulfilled but isn't too vague. What are some requirements for the prophecies that I could tell him, so that it would be valid evidence for the existence of a god?

Here is a legitimate 'prophecy':

On April 8 there will be a total eclipse of the  sun. In Carbondale, IL totality will start at 1:59pm and end at 2:01pm. The path of totality and times are very precisely predicted and can be found on NASA's website.

Now, I challenge *any* religious believer to give a 'prophecy' with that much precision that doesn't use methods available to educated people at the time the prophecy was made. It needs to be specific, unambiguous, and not previously known or suspected.

So, describing the sky as an expanding tent is NOT a prophecy of an expanding universe.
The following 3 users Like polymath257's post:
  • Jarsa, Astreja, emjay

Excellent point, OT500...for example this Isaiah dude that Charlie seems so fucking impressed with also claimed:

Quote:See, I will stir up against them the Medes,
    who do not care for silver
    and have no delight in gold.
18 Their bows will strike down the young men;
    they will have no mercy on infants,
    nor will they look with compassion on children.
19 Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms,
    the pride and glory of the Babylonians,[b]
will be overthrown by God
    like Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 She will never be inhabited
    or lived in through all generations;
there no nomads will pitch their tents,
    there no shepherds will rest their flocks.
21 But desert creatures will lie there,
    jackals will fill her houses;
there the owls will dwell,
    and there the wild goats will leap about.
22 Hyenas will inhabit her strongholds,
    jackals her luxurious palaces.
Her time is at hand,
    and her days will not be prolonged.

Isaiah 17-22

Nope....didn't happen.  Babylon was captured by Cyrus the Great in 539 BCE but he had no intention of destroying the city.  Instead he made it his capital.    It thrived until the 3d century when much of the population was (peaceably) transferred to Seleucia the new capital of the post-Alexander Seleucid Empire starting around 280 BCE.   Babylon remained a city and underwent an extremely long decline until 600 CE.  Somehow, this Isaiah asshole missed all that!

BTW, we have no record of any of this Isaiah horseshit until the Greek Septuagint was produced in the 3d century BCE and no Hebrew rendition until one was found with the Dead Sea Scrolls and dated to the 2d century BCE.   Worse, there is not much evidence of extensive literacy in Judah prior to the Hellenistic period.  Until then, they were little more than a bunch of primitive farmers and goat-herders who were loyal subjects of the Persian empire until Alexander the Great came rolling through.

Just one of many of these biblical "prophecies" that morons like Charlie don't talk about.

I remember a Muslim pushing the statement in the Quran about a baby starting as a clot. It wasn’t a prophesy but “scientific information” known before science arose.

I just shrugged my shoulders and pointed out that’s exactly what an early miscarriage looks like and I’m pretty sure the women knew it….they passed a clot. The Muslim was rather dejected that I wasn’t amazed by the Quran.
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Astreja

(03-06-2024, 07:02 PM)pattylt Wrote: ... The Muslim was rather dejected that I wasn’t amazed by the Quran ...

I'd say that as a coarse rule of thumb anytime you share information you believe would astound everyone, and no one is, it'd be a good idea to ask yourself why, rather than immediately brand everyone an idiot.
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • pattylt, Chas

(03-06-2024, 07:24 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 07:02 PM)pattylt Wrote: ... The Muslim was rather dejected that I wasn’t amazed by the Quran ...

I'd say that as a coarse rule of thumb anytime you share information you believe would astound everyone, and no one is, it'd be a good idea to ask yourself why, rather than immediately brand everyone an idiot.

Just like many Christian’s, Muslims can not grasp why people aren’t as enamored of the Quran as much as they are.
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Chas

If I just tell him that the prophecy needs to be specific, there's going to be another argument over semantics. I need sort of a set of conditions, like an assessment that the prophecy needs to pass, so there is no room for arguments.
Gandalf