Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religitards, Of All Stripes, Can't Seem To Grasp

this whole "Thou Shalt Not Kill" thing.  Must be too complicated for the asswipes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68408405

Quote:Burkina Faso mosque attack: Dozens killed during prayers

Quote:Dozens of people have been shot dead at a mosque on the same day that a church was attacked, say the authorities in Burkina Faso.
It was during early-morning prayers that the gunmen surrounded the mosque in Natiaboani town.
"The victims were all Muslims, most of them men," a local resident told the AFP news agency.

Quote:That same day, at least 15 worshippers were killed in an attack on a Catholic church during Sunday mass in Essakane in the country's north-east. A church official said suspected Islamist militants were to blame.
No link has been formally made between the two attacks, but Burkina Faso's privately owned L'Observateur Paalga newspaper has questioned whether they were part of a coordinated plot.
Attacks on religious figures are not uncommon in Burkina Faso.

Peace on earth and goodwill toward men.... and all that other happy horseshit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Cavebear

godiboi was too busy with the SAG awards to be of any use.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • pattylt

Crazy people tend to kill both each other and non-crazies.  I don't mind the crazies killing each other.  The fewer the better,  But I weep for the innocent bystanders...
A bully hides his fears with fake bravado. That is the opposite of self-assertiveness.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Chas, pattylt

Interesting point there.  Do fanatics have to be insane?  It seems to be more of a feature than a bug when it comes to religion.  Religion is designed to divide people which makes it easier for the leaders to control them.

[Image: 70eb897c57bf3e0853f0f8d2dfa72ead.jpg]

And once you control them it is easy to aim them at targets of opportunity.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt

(02-27-2024, 03:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Do fanatics have to be insane?
Labeling religious belief as "insanity" is an oversimplification. Most religious persons are quite sane in non-religious context, or at least no more than somewhat deluded. A truly insane person is a gibbering lunatic in all contexts.

But many religious beliefs and actions motivated by religion ARE specific instances of insanity.

And many people who are gibbering lunatics exhibit religious ideation most prominently, as any mental health professional will concede. A close second would be sexual ideation rooted in unhealthy religious repression and shame.

All that said, I totally agree with your post.

As Republicans seem to accuse others of exactly what they do, the religious are a product of grooming and mild to severe brainwashing. No child that hasn’t been raised with any religious talk or bias would entertain the religious stories once they are an adult and first exposed to it.

As more people join atheism, agnosticism and/or skeptical thinking, the more their children will avoid religious beliefs. Sure, there’s likely one or two that stray into religious belief as adults but usually, they were exposed to some of it before adulthood. Many more are going the opposite way…being raised with beliefs and later leaving in adulthood. This is a big reason many Christian’s are joining the quiverfull movements. They are trying to breed another generation of god botherers. Muslims often have the same goals. Hasidic and Ultra Orthodox play this game as well.

If atheists ever decide to have large families, the religious’ fate would be sealed. Only time, though, will tell if religious breeding succeeds or just slows the inevitable decline.
The following 2 users Like pattylt's post:
  • mordant, Szuchow

(02-28-2024, 06:58 PM)pattylt Wrote: As more people join atheism, agnosticism and/or skeptical thinking, the more their children will avoid religious beliefs.  Sure, there’s likely one or two that stray into religious belief as adults but usually, they were exposed to some of it before adulthood.  Many more are going the opposite way…being raised with beliefs and later leaving in adulthood.
My wife was never a believer but her daughter was strongly attracted to church and wanted a children's Bible. My wife didn't fight it. She read to her from the children's Bible at bedtime, etc. Daughter went to a Presbyterian church because her father attended there. Fast forward to age 18, she takes their catechism class which is presented as an open inquiry with everyone free to make their own conclusions. She scandalized the class with her presentation, though. She concluded that god doesn't exist, and she hasn't attended any sort of church or had any sort of religious practice in the ensuing 12 years.

I will say that she's the type of personality that if her mother had fought it instead of played along, she'd have become devoutly religious just to spite her, lol.

My stepson, on the other hand, was never having any of theism, then or now. Everyone's different.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

Atheists often allow their children to explore religions. Most parent know that forbidding something makes it more desirable. My daughter went to church and Sunday school with her best friend at age 11-12. The only requirement I had was attending any church that preached hellfire…which most don’t. She got bored with it and stopped on her own.

My son never even entertained religion and one of his best friends was very religious. After a few attempts at getting my son to go to his church, my son laid down the law…either we can be friends with no preaching or my son would end the friendship. He was 15 at the time. The friend dropped it and they are friends today…both in their late 40’s.

Because I came from Judaism, my daughter looked into it a bit. I even sent her to Sabbath school. She like the feeling of being with her “tribe” but again, shifted her interests to boys and fashion (15 yo). She never showed any interest again. She’s in her mid 40’s now. Her first spouse was a very lapsed Catholic and current spouse is a very quiet believer that goes to no church at all. Their belief systems never was a clashing point as far as I’m aware.
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • mordant

If ever I was possessed of the sudden desire to be totally bored listening to some dumb fuck drone on about something he knows nothing about.....I'd go to a Trump rally!

Fuck churches.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, mordant