Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Christians Should Approach Atheists

(01-03-2024, 06:54 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 04:59 PM)Dānu Wrote: One other thing.  What you have written here is false.  Perhaps you exaggerate?

Not that I know of.
Look Min's personal style isn't mine, but he's far more versed in ancient history / archaeology etc than most of us here. Your reaction to Min reminds me a little bit of the Mormon guy who built my house and the others in our development.

There were a number of oversights and problems with our home, e.g., they used interior nails to put the outdoor fence together, and they were starting to disintegrate even after a single winter season. So I hired a home inspector to go through the place thoroughly, and he surfaced a number of cut corners. We arranged for the 3 of us to go over the list.

When we came to the back of the garage, the inspector pointed out -- in an entirely civil manner, as was true throughout -- that there were problems with the flashing / siding that would allow encroachment of water into the garage. The builder said, well, it's up to code. The inspector pointed out that might be technically true but it will still fail and besides, he said, it 'looks like crap".

Hoo boy did MormonMan lose it. "If we're going to use that kind of language, this conversation is over". I mean "crap" is such a mild invective that even another forum I'm on that's comically prudish and will "star out" words like shit, and flag it for moderation, from which you are liable to be penalized -- even THAT site is fine with "crap".

This is what believers tend to do, just disqualify you if you're not dignified or "civil" enough and then don't have to engage at all. I'd have more respect for you if you got past Min's bluster and actually engaged with him on substance and ignore the salty decorative words, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Yes he's irascible and goes way beyond "crap" and you are certainly entitled to decide what your own boundaries are. Just a thought FWIW. At least, don't engage in tit for tat, which I see that now at least you've decided to do. I think that's wise because you can't very well fault Min if you get down there and throw it back at him, even if in "cleaner" language.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • pattylt, Inkubus, Mathilda, brewerb

(01-05-2024, 06:11 PM)mordant Wrote: This is what believers tend to do, just disqualify you if you're not dignified or "civil" enough and then don't have to engage at all. I'd have more respect for you if you got past Min's bluster and actually engaged with him on substance and ignore the salty decorative words, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Yes he's irascible and goes way beyond "crap" and you are certainly entitled to decide what your own boundaries are. Just a thought FWIW. At least, don't engage in tit for tat, which I see that now at least you've decided to do. I think that's wise because you can't very well fault Min if you get down there and throw it back at him, even if in "cleaner" language.

I don't waste time with fools. Life is too short. He had his chance to have a discussion with me and decided to be perhaps the most obnoxious and pompous ass I have ever encountered in 28 years online (which is really saying something; believe me. I have been in many thousands of discussions). His choice, not mine.
[F]anatical atheists . . . can’t hear the music of the spheres. (Einstein, 8-7-41)

You worship god, you seem to spend a lot of time with fools.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Chas, pattylt

Childish and butt hurt, not a good combination Dave.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

They should wear cowbells.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Mathilda

(01-07-2024, 06:28 AM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 06:11 PM)mordant Wrote: This is what believers tend to do, just disqualify you if you're not dignified or "civil" enough and then don't have to engage at all. I'd have more respect for you if you got past Min's bluster and actually engaged with him on substance and ignore the salty decorative words, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Yes he's irascible and goes way beyond "crap" and you are certainly entitled to decide what your own boundaries are. Just a thought FWIW. At least, don't engage in tit for tat, which I see that now at least you've decided to do. I think that's wise because you can't very well fault Min if you get down there and throw it back at him, even if in "cleaner" language.

I don't waste time with fools. Life is too short. He had his chance to have a discussion with me and decided to be perhaps the most obnoxious and pompous ass I have ever encountered in 28 years online (which is really saying something; believe me. I have been in many thousands of discussions). His choice, not mine.

Confused interacted with Min on atheist forums for years now.  He’s been irascible and mouthy probably longer than you’ve been on the internet!  Winking  It’s kinda why we lurv him….
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • mordant

(01-07-2024, 05:56 PM)pattylt Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:28 AM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: I don't waste time with fools. Life is too short. He had his chance to have a discussion with me and decided to be perhaps the most obnoxious and pompous ass I have ever encountered in 28 years online (which is really saying something; believe me. I have been in many thousands of discussions). His choice, not mine.

Confused interacted with Min on atheist forums for years now.  He’s been irascible and mouthy probably longer than you’ve been on the internet!  Winking  It’s kinda why we lurv him….

To each his or her own. Not my cup of tea. I like to actually have conversations that have some rational content. We all have to decide how to best use our time.
[F]anatical atheists . . . can’t hear the music of the spheres. (Einstein, 8-7-41)
The following 1 user Likes Dave Armstrong's post:
  • pattylt

Rational content? And yet you rant of imaginary friends.

Are you sure you understand the term?
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Szuchow, pattylt

(01-02-2024, 09:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 09:10 PM)Dānu Wrote: I think you're preaching the backhand version of religious privilege -- that we should be grateful when they aren't doing ill.

Of course, we should (all) be grateful. We should also expect appropriate behavior, we should recognize it when we see it and acknowledge it. That's how you get more of what you like.

I dunno, this view reminds me of a quote from Guardians of the Galaxy;

Quill:

Normal people don't even THINK about eating someone else! Much less, that person having to be grateful for it!

(01-02-2024, 06:36 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: Are there some atheists who know that God exists and reject Him? In my opinion, yes; they exist.

Are there also some adults who know that Santa Claus exists and reject Him?
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • pattylt, Szuchow

(01-07-2024, 10:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 06:36 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: Are there some atheists who know that God exists and reject Him? In my opinion, yes; they exist.

Yeah, lots of folks don't believe in Santa Claus. See the movie, Miracle on 34th StreetDance

(01-07-2024, 10:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:

Those people are going to Grinch-land for an eternity where they'll eat dog food day and night. If only they did not reject Santa Clause in their thoughts.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Mathilda, pattylt

(01-07-2024, 10:15 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Are there also some adults who know that Santa Claus exists and reject Him?

Yeah, lots of folks don't believe in Santa Claus. See the movie, Miracle on 34th StreetDance

That's not what I asked.

• Szuchow, Deesse23

Dave has a problem with comprehension and honesty.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Szuchow, Deesse23, Cavebear

Usually chronic sinner are

Personally speaking if I knew Santa Claus existed, I would reject him. Not only would I be really pissed off that he was enacting some kind of authoritarian surveillance state and invading little children's bedrooms, I'd be wondering why he wasn't using his sleigh propelling magic to wean us off oil.
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aliza, 1Sam15, pattylt, airportkid

(01-07-2024, 10:18 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:15 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: Yeah, lots of folks don't believe in Santa Claus. See the movie, Miracle on 34th StreetDance

That's not what I asked.

No. They can't know that he exists because he doesn't. Yes, of course, now you'll say, "we don't think God exists!" I have said over and over that I believe that is true of most atheists. But a tiny group (IMO) knows that God exists and rejects Him because they don't want to do what He requires of them, and they have been taught a bunch of distortions about what the God of the Bible really is like.

It doesn't exist.

Why do you reject Vishnu?

(01-07-2024, 10:35 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: No. They can't know that he exists because he doesn't. Yes, of course, now you'll say, "we don't think God exists!" I have said over and over that I believe that is true of most atheists. But a tiny group (IMO) knows that God exists and rejects Him because they don't want to do what He requires of them, and they have been taught a bunch of distortions about what the God of the Bible really is like.

How can they be atheists if they believe that God exists?
The following 6 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • 1Sam15, pattylt, Alan V, brewerb, Szuchow, Deesse23

(01-07-2024, 10:35 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:18 PM)Mathilda Wrote: That's not what I asked.

No. They can't know that he exists because he doesn't.

Besides, it's far more likely that Santa Claus exists than God.

First we actually have a far better definition of what Santa Claus is. No one has the faintest idea what a god is supposed to be, and until we have a working definition it's impossible to even start trying to determine whether one exists or not.

Secondly there's real world evidence of Santa Claus. Millions of little children wake up with presents in their bedroom.
The following 5 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aliza, pattylt, 1Sam15, Szuchow, Deesse23

(01-07-2024, 10:38 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:35 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote: No. They can't know that he exists because he doesn't. Yes, of course, now you'll say, "we don't think God exists!" I have said over and over that I believe that is true of most atheists. But a tiny group (IMO) knows that God exists and rejects Him because they don't want to do what He requires of them, and they have been taught a bunch of distortions about what the God of the Bible really is like.

How can they be atheists if they believe that God exists?

This small minority says they are atheists, but it's false advertising. It's the distinction between not believing God exists and believing He does, but not following Him (which the devil and Satan worshipers do): think God is actually a Bad Guy and not to be followed, let alone loved.

(01-07-2024, 10:44 PM)Mathilda Wrote: No one has the faintest idea what a god is supposed to be, . . . 

Really? Are you that unaquainted with the history of philosophy? You wish to claim that no theist philosopher these past 3,000 years had the slightest idea what God is like? It's extreme statements like this that make atheists lose some intellectual credibility.

(01-07-2024, 10:54 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:38 PM)Mathilda Wrote: How can they be atheists if they believe that God exists?

This small minority says they are atheists, but it's false advertising. It's the distinction between not believing God exists and believing He does, but not following Him (which the devil and Satan worshipers do): think God is actually a Bad Guy and not to be followed, let alone loved.

Why are you calling them atheists if they are theists?
  • Alan V, Szuchow

(01-07-2024, 10:56 PM)Dave Armstrong Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:44 PM)Mathilda Wrote: No one has the faintest idea what a god is supposed to be, . . . 

Really? Are you that unaquainted with the history of philosophy? You wish to claim that no theist philosopher these past 3,000 years had the slightest idea what God is like? It's extreme statements like this that make atheists lose some intellectual credibility.

OK, tell me, what is a god.