Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most ethical universe

Most ethical universe
(12-16-2023, 09:48 PM)Dexta Wrote:  obviously the second option/universe is preferable. Pointless fucking question, nevertheless.

(12-18-2023, 12:33 PM)Dexta Wrote:
(12-18-2023, 12:10 AM)Jarsa Wrote: Wouldnt it be better to be sad for some time and then be happy forever than happy for some time then sad forever?

Of course, was that a serious question?! I hate this thread, it's totally dumb.  Thumbsdown
Youre talking about different universes in both these quotes. the "sad for some time and then be happy" is the first universe not the second.
Gandalf 

Most ethical universe
(12-18-2023, 09:37 AM)rocinantexyz Wrote:
(12-18-2023, 02:16 AM)Jarsa Wrote: Because the rate of expansion is not infinity.
Why not; I mean that restriction wasn't included at the start, right?

I mean, its implied. After all there wouldn't be any dilemma if everyone were eventually going to turn sad/happy
Gandalf 

Most ethical universe
The ethical ramifications would depend on a given subjects distance from the happiness or sadness horizon and a number of assertions about preferable states of affairs in an exclusively sub-optimal field. Neither universe sounds particularly ethical and I wouldn't want to live in either of them. We're talking about places where sadness and happiness are both inflicted - so everyone is a victim of either scheme to greater and lesser extents. One thing is clear in both cases, the only being in either universe that couldn't possibly be ethical (or have made an ethical decision) is the god in question.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • Unsapien

Most ethical universe
(12-18-2023, 03:39 PM)Jarsa Wrote: I mean, its implied. After all there wouldn't be any dilemma if everyone were eventually going to turn sad/happy
It seems you are were willing to consider an infinite board, stocked with an infinite number of people; but not an infinite growth rate. Without an infinite growth rate (in general) how was the infinite board populated with an infinite number of people?

Most ethical universe
(12-18-2023, 06:31 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote:
(12-18-2023, 03:39 PM)Jarsa Wrote: I mean, its implied. After all there wouldn't be any dilemma if everyone were eventually going to turn sad/happy
It seems you are were willing to consider an infinite board, stocked with an infinite number of people; but not an infinite growth rate. Without an infinite growth rate (in general) how was the infinite board populated with an infinite number of people?

I don't know man, its just a question I read online. If you are god, I suppose you can just make these things happen.
Gandalf 

Most ethical universe
(12-16-2023, 04:17 AM)Jarsa Wrote:
(12-16-2023, 03:48 AM)Dānu Wrote: The number of people is never infinite, it is finite.  Which makes this something of a question of rates, which you didn't specify.

You do create infinite people in both scenarios. The number of people in the drop is whats finite.

Who is the "you" that creates infinite possible people?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Most ethical universe
(12-19-2023, 03:42 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-16-2023, 04:17 AM)Jarsa Wrote: You do create infinite people in both scenarios. The number of people in the drop is whats finite.

Who is the "you" that creates infinite possible people?

You is you. Or the person who is god in this hypothetical scenario.
Gandalf 

Most ethical universe
(12-19-2023, 04:01 AM)Jarsa Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 03:42 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Who is the "you" that creates infinite possible people?

You is you. Or the person who is god in this hypothetical scenario.

I cannot create infinite possible people. So you mean "god"?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Most ethical universe
(12-19-2023, 04:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 04:01 AM)Jarsa Wrote: You is you. Or the person who is god in this hypothetical scenario.

I cannot create infinite possible people.  So you mean  "god"?

Yeah. The very first post on this thread explained this.
Gandalf 

Most ethical universe
I am god.

I am not the god of this universe.

I am the god of a better universe.

I created a universe where every living thing dies of old age, an old age they understand is coming, an age they can prepare for.

Son, this universe is a universe of predation.

My universe, asks, sees the need, comforts, never passes judgment on those that never harm others.

Tell me who your god is...
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard