Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Funny trivia about original sin

I just remembered something rather funny about the doctrine of original sin. We all know that this doctrine was cooked up by Saint Augustine of Hippo in the early 5th century. It ties the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ to the curse God cast on Adam and Eve for eating the Fruit of Knowledge, thus by accepting the sacrifice of Jesus, you gain a chance to return to heaven free of sin and a place in the new Eden that is to be the Kingdom of God once Jesus returns. 

The funny part is that God didn't just curse Adam and Eve. He also cursed the snake to crawl on his belly and eat dust (the Ancient Hebrew didn't understand the biological purpose of the snakes' famous tongue flicking), be hated by women and children, have their head crushed by them and, in turn bite humans and poison them. It also specifies that the snake, alone in all animals will be cursed as such (the Ancient Hebrews were unaware of the existence of legless lizards and some species of skinks too). 

If Jesus Christ brought forgiveness for the original sin, why are the snake still legless and feared by so many?

Another interesting tidbit, but mostly for the creationist sort, if the snake was the only animal to bear such curse then why do they say that it's the fall of man that brought predation, death and starvation to animals too? It's mentioned to be the fate of Adam and Eve and the snake was to be the only animal punished like so. It seems animals were killing each other in heaven too apparently. Finally why the hell do so many Christian think it was the Devil tempting Eve in the Garden of Eden. It's specifically mentioned to be a snake and an animal. People read a lot of things into fairly conventional fairy tale. I guess hot takes on popular media is an old form of entertainment.
The following 7 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Minimalist, brewerb, Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir, Astreja, Unsapien

Not just the badman and the harlot and the dragon , god cursed -the earth- too. Apparently, the dirt had fucked up. Where's dirts forgiveness, and for what?
The following 3 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • epronovost, airportkid, mordant

(11-28-2023, 05:15 PM)epronovost Wrote: I just remembered something rather funny about the doctrine of original sin. We all know that this doctrine was cooked up by Saint Augustine of Hippo in the early 5th century. It ties the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ to the curse God cast on Adam and Eve for eating the Fruit of Knowledge, thus by accepting the sacrifice of Jesus, you gain a chance to return to heaven free of sin and a place in the new Eden that is to be the Kingdom of God once Jesus returns. 

The funny part is that God didn't just curse Adam and Eve. He also cursed the snake to crawl on his belly and eat dust (the Ancient Hebrew didn't understand the biological purpose of the snakes' famous tongue flicking), be hated by women and children, have their head crushed by them and, in turn bite humans and poison them. It also specifies that the snake, alone in all animals will be cursed as such (the Ancient Hebrews were unaware of the existence of legless lizards and some species of skinks too). 

If Jesus Christ brought forgiveness for the original sin, why are the snake still legless and feared by so many?

Another interesting tidbit, but mostly for the creationist sort, if the snake was the only animal to bear such curse then why do they say that it's the fall of man that brought predation, death and starvation to animals too? It's mentioned to be the fate of Adam and Eve and the snake was to be the only animal punished like so. It seems animals were killing each other in heaven too apparently. Finally why the hell do so many Christian think it was the Devil tempting Eve in the Garden of Eden. It's specifically mentioned to be a snake and an animal. People read a lot of things into fairly conventional fairy tale. I guess hot takes on popular media is an old form of entertainment.

Millions of years elapsed between when predation, death, and illness existed in the animal kingdom, (of which Homo Sapiens was an evolved participant), and when any human existed in the Garden Myth. The assemblers of the Hebrew myth, had no knowledge of the biologic or archaeological facts that led to the state of humanity when they were written, (around 275 BCE). The snake came from Babylonian Mythology.

Show ContentSpoiler:
Test

(11-28-2023, 06:12 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Not just the badman and the harlot and the dragon , god cursed -the earth- too.  Apparently, the dirt had fucked up.  Where's dirts forgiveness, and for what?

God pulled on the dirt... a dirty trick...

For an all powerful, all knowing, ever being, this godiboi sure is a helpless fucking idiot
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Minimalist, pattylt, Cavebear

And if you think he's bad just look at his idiot followers!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Cavebear

(11-28-2023, 05:15 PM)epronovost Wrote: I just remembered something rather funny about the doctrine of original sin. We all know that this doctrine was cooked up by Saint Augustine of Hippo in the early 5th century. It ties the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ to the curse God cast on Adam and Eve for eating the Fruit of Knowledge, thus by accepting the sacrifice of Jesus, you gain a chance to return to heaven free of sin and a place in the new Eden that is to be the Kingdom of God once Jesus returns. 

What about the sea snakes? Wait, I got it, God couldn't see that part of the earth so they got a pass.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

In very ancient times, there was a lot of iron in the water before His originally-created microbes learned to fart oxygen by their own evolution. And that oxygen met the iron that He couldn't see through (like Superman and lead). And the oxygen enthusiastically and prolifically mated profusely with the iron and rained down generations of their dead (rust). When the iron was mostly used up, the oxygen critters escaped into the air and destroyed the atmosphere for all but their own selfish kind. Oxygen then polluted the atmosphere for many exponential begats of sea critters.

But eventually, the Ocean-Devil created some sea-demons who could take advantage of The Him's failure to foresee oxygen and caused some critters to survive breathing the poisoned atmosphere. And those became able to lay eggs that didn't need to hatch their demon-spawn in water, but enclosed eggs. And the Devil was pleased.

Then they became reptiles, dinosaurs, and finally mammals. Which would have been OK, if they had just stayed a bit stupid and uncurious about their surroundings.

But now there are us. LOL! Big Grin Panic Thumbs Up Thumbsdown Dunno

Hope you enjoyed this... If some posters can write nonsense, so can I.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Inkubus

That was actually quite good and made more sense than anything Steve ll posted.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Cavebear

I can still recall my religious instruction during my early years in Catholic schools and how the concept of Original Sin made no sense to me. My thought at the time, although I knew better than to express it to the nuns, was, "I didn't eat the apple! I'm not guilty of anything!" It wasn't until my college years that the problem was further compounded by the silly notion of a talking snake.  Facepalm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cavebear, epronovost

(11-29-2023, 11:57 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I can still recall my religious instruction during my early years in Catholic schools and how the concept of Original Sin made no sense to me. My thought at the time, although I knew better than to express it to the nuns, was, "I didn't eat the apple! I'm not guilty of anything!" It wasn't until my college years that the problem was further compounded by the silly notion of a talking snake.  Facepalm

The show 'Rick&Morty' had an episode of intelligent talking snakes who attacked Earth. I don't recall it perfectly, but eventually Rick&Morty went back in time, left a messed-up science book among the snakes, and it ruined them. I'm probably getting that way wrong. But it was a nice reversal on the snake/human religious silliness. LOL!

And I liked the "I didn't eat the apple" idea. The whole "sins of the forefathers" never made sense to me either.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

My eldest, when she was still a darling innocent, heard that story from her grandpa and you could see real concern on her face. Does it every year, it's a ritual - the fall and christ's birth - and he's a legit true believer.

Leans into me, quiet as a mouse, "daydee, can we get god some more apples?".
The following 2 users Like Rhythmcs's post:
  • epronovost, Bucky Ball

We know that the "serpent" in the Garden of Eden, who deceived Adam and Eve, is indeed Satan.

Rev. 12:9
"And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him."

Rev. 20:2
"And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,"

But of course you have to believe the Scripture for this to be the final say.

Funny how Satan was the only one telling the truth. God lied about the tree of knowledge.

(12-29-2023, 11:45 PM)SeaPigeon Wrote: Funny how Satan was the only one telling the truth. God lied about the tree of knowledge.

How so?

Your God isn't great at leading by example is he? He lied to Adam about what would happen if he ate the fruit... Then went on to make a commandment about the exact same thing.

Mind you, your God is pretty good at breaking his own perfectly moral rules. Just ask the firstborn of Egypt.

(12-29-2023, 11:31 PM)Charlie24 Wrote: We know that the "serpent" in the Garden of Eden, who deceived Adam and Eve, is indeed Satan.

"And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him."

"And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,"

That's not very convincing at all. First, Satan is here referred to as a dragon and "ancient serpent" is actually a poor translation of the terms used to describe the mythical creature. German translation are a bit better on it using the term "wurm" or "wyrm" to describe great monstruous scaly beasts like dragons. Here serpent is not so much a direct description of the creature as an insult thrown at it. 

PS: the idea that Satan was to get his head crushed by women and eat dust is a bit strange too. It also speaks of the serpent's descendant and says that they alone are cursed amongst all animals makes this idea that Satan. Also, Satan is having rather friendly conversation with God in the Book of Job. He does take the appearance of a snake in the NT to tempt Jesus in the desert though.

How could Adam possibly understand the concept of death before eating the fruit?
God lied to Adam in more ways than one.

Sneaky God.
The following 1 user Likes SeaPigeon's post:
  • 1Sam15

(12-30-2023, 12:00 AM)SeaPigeon Wrote: Your God isn't great at leading by example is he? He lied to Adam about what would happen if he ate the fruit... Then went on to make a commandment about the exact same thing.

Mind you, your God is pretty good at breaking his own perfectly moral rules. Just ask the firstborn of Egypt.

It will take some explaining for you to understand why God killed not only the first-born of Egypt, but also entire races of people in the Old testament. Bear with me.

The Scripture states that "the wages of sin is death." That is not just a physical death but also a spiritual death which leads to eternity in Hell. We have all sinned and we are all marked for death in both phases unless we repent of that sin and and accept Christ as Saviour. Then the physical death is the end of death for the redeemed, Jesus Christ has defeated death through His resurrection and has granted the same for all who believe in Him.

No let's answer why God had to kill!

In order for man to be redeemed from his sin there had to be a Redeemer to be born into this world to die in mans place. This sacrifice had to be perfect, without sin in order to accomplish the redeeming. Only Jesus Christ could do it.

So Christ had to be born of a people, a nation, in order to die as a man for our sins. God called Abraham as the father of this nation of new people and named the nation, israel.

Through rebellion against God, Israel found themselves slaves to Egypt. So God raised up a deliverer of His chosen people, named Moses. He was to lead Israel (the Jews) to a land, the promised land, where the Redeemer (Jesus Christ) would be born. 

But Pharaoh would not let them go. Do you see? The stubbornness of Pharaoh was holding up the Saviour of the world from coming to deliver man from his sins.

So God sent many plagues on Egypt, but Pharaoh still refused. He gave Pharaoh every opportunity to release them but to no avail. God knew what it would take, and He took the first-born of Egypt.

Quote:It will take some explaining for you to understand why God killed not only the first-born of Egypt, but also entire races of people in the Old testament.

A shorter explanation is that you worship a murdering scumbag of a god.

The question is then, what the fuck is wrong with someone like you for doing that?
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • 1Sam15, AutisticWill

(12-30-2023, 12:36 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:It will take some explaining for you to understand why God killed not only the first-born of Egypt, but also entire races of people in the Old testament.

A shorter explanation is that you worship a murdering scumbag of a god.

The question is then, what the fuck is wrong with someone like you for doing that?

My excuse is that I thank God that He has gone through so much to deliver me from my sin so I can have a relationship with Him.

Not only a relationship, but also a co-owner of everything He has throughout eternity.

(12-30-2023, 12:11 AM)epronovost Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 11:31 PM)Charlie24 Wrote: We know that the "serpent" in the Garden of Eden, who deceived Adam and Eve, is indeed Satan.

That's not very convincing at all. First, Satan is here referred to as a dragon and "ancient serpent" is actually a poor translation of the terms used to describe the mythical creature. German translation are a bit better on it using the term "wurm" or "wyrm" to describe great monstruous scaly beasts like dragons. Here serpent is not so much a direct description of the creature as an insult thrown at it. 

PS: the idea that Satan was to get his head crushed by women and eat dust is a bit strange too. It also speaks of the serpent's descendant and says that they alone are cursed amongst all animals makes this idea that Satan. Also, Satan is having rather friendly conversation with God in the Book of Job. He does take the appearance of a snake in the NT to tempt Jesus in the desert though.

There is only one old, ancient serpent in the Scripture.

But if you choose to believe otherwise, that's ok with me.

I'll not argue the obvious.

(12-30-2023, 12:42 AM)Charlie24 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 12:36 AM)Minimalist Wrote: A shorter explanation is that you worship a murdering scumbag of a god.

My excuse is that I thank God that He has gone through so much to deliver me from my sin so I can have a relationship with Him.

Not only a relationship, but also a co-owner of everything He has throughout eternity.

Doesn't say much for you, Charlie.  What about the people who got murdered so you could pat yourself on the back and feel all warm and fuzzy.

And people wonder why I despise religitards.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • AutisticWill

(12-30-2023, 01:16 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 12:42 AM)Charlie24 Wrote: My excuse is that I thank God that He has gone through so much to deliver me from my sin so I can have a relationship with Him.

Doesn't say much for you, Charlie.  What about the people who got murdered so you could pat yourself on the back and feel all warm and fuzzy.

And people wonder why I despise religitards.

None of these people would have believed God. they endured all the plagues and not a one turned to Him.

But I can see that the need of Christ to redeem mankind means nothing to you. 

If God had not done this the Saviour of the world would have never came.

I'm sorry you can't understand that.

Hey, Charlie, show me one thing in this world, without the use of your precious buybull that shows that jebus h. christ died for my sins. Anything at all.

You know, the same way the Doppler effect can be demonstrated without the use of an evil science book.

While you're at it, maybe you can explain why, modern hoomans are  about 150,000ish years old, yet jebus (and his obviously closeted daddy) only revealed themselves 2,000ish years ago. What gives?

Why do so many other gods precede commandment numero uno?

Remember, use your big boy words. No cheating, the buybull has no power here.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • AutisticWill