Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free range parenting

Free range parenting
(06-01-2023, 03:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 02:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Sounds like lazy parenting dressed up as a philosophy. Just be honest.

Sounds like a needy Z'er complaining about adults not being around.

Or maybe I have a history of being abused and adults not doing anything about it so I have a different perspective you stupid fuck. And maybe I know others who have been in similar positions as me.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Free range parenting
(06-01-2023, 03:36 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 03:22 PM)Aegon Wrote: Seems like a bad example, if you even have friends at all you will at least have some time alone with them without parents present where someone will suggest something stupid.

I was raised by a helicopter parent and I still got up to some shennanigans.

I know someone who had controlling parents and got very fucked up  I also know someone who had more laid back parents and ended up being sex trafficked when they were young.  The parent did nothing about it. Let's just say I'm not particularly biased towards either method.

Regardless of the child rearing method used, there are going to be negligent parents and crazy parents. There are plenty of fucked up parents in both categories. Just because they are parents doesn't mean that they are capable of making good decisions or even care about their kids.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Free range parenting
(06-01-2023, 03:46 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 03:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Sounds like a needy Z'er complaining about adults not being around.

Or maybe I have a history of being abused and adults not doing anything about it so I have a different perspective you stupid fuck. And maybe I know others who have been in similar positions as me.

We've all had difficulties. You're not alone, nor are you unique. Maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of other views if you don't like being treated that way yourself.
On hiatus.

Free range parenting
(06-01-2023, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 02:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Sounds like lazy parenting dressed up as a philosophy. Just be honest.

Really? You think being watched and scheduled 24/7 produces independent, skeptical thinkers? Socially adept adults moving through life without anxiety? Really?

Yeah, rigid control of children (for safety's sake) does not actually create independent adults. I think that is a major problem today. Children are controlled and scheduled far too much. They barely have time for independent self-creative thought while they are being scheduled and taught "talents".

I could blame society for a lot of that. Colleges are demanding too many successful activities (sports, academic challenges, community service, letters of recommendation, etc). You don't need all of those for a successful major.

I lettered in 2 sports, was a member of the Citizenship Committee, was a Life Scout in Boy Scouts, but I'm pretty sure I didn't even mention that stuff in my application. College is where you go to learn more, not get by on the past.

I am who I am because I was granted freedom to explore the local neighborhood for miles, get into a couple fights, argue with friends, play wildly stupid physical games and generally "live and learn" through personal experience.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Free range parenting
(06-01-2023, 06:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 03:46 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Or maybe I have a history of being abused and adults not doing anything about it so I have a different perspective you stupid fuck. And maybe I know others who have been in similar positions as me.

We've all had difficulties. You're not alone, nor are you unique. Maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive of other views if you don't like being treated that way yourself.

If you weren't raised by soft, sissy parents you'll get over it. Kids these days.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Free range parenting
Unfortunately I have been far too overprotective of my kids and have unwittingly held them back in some respects.
There is a balance I think and looking back I failed to find it.

Free range parenting
Makes me glad I had my childhood in a relatively small town in the 60's. Even though both parents worked (free range after school from the age of 6) I had plenty of 'stand by' parents in the neighborhood. But then so did all the other kids.

It certainly made me more confident and self sufficient.

Can I get my participation trophy now? Whistling
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • pattylt