Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is there no moderation here anymore ?

I see five, (5) threads posted by this dude advertising his book, spamming the forum.
Gospel of Atrocities.
What the fuck is going on here ?

Just as what happened to me.

Took two weeks to get him (iconoclast) banned.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • c172

There's no such book, as far as Google searches go, titled "Gospel of Atrocities" or anything close.  There are lots of books about atrocities generally, but nothing so specific as the 5 or 6 particular religious atrocities detailed in all those posts.

Hence a claim that the posts are advertising a particular book appears unfounded.

Why the hostility to the posts?  Nothing makes anyone read them; those that do read them must be doing so because they're interested.  I made a sharp criticism the OP thanked me for, and his response to some other criticisms seem calm and lack vitriol.  Dom is concerned by his profligacy, but that's a pretty mild transgression since no one is compelled to read any of it.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Aliza

(04-03-2023, 05:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I see five, (5) threads posted by this dude advertising his book, spamming the forum.
Gospel of Atrocities.

He's not advertising anything. He wrote something and is posting parts here looking for feedback. 

He is a bit too prolific with his threads, he now does 2 a day tops.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • abaris, Cavebear

(04-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 05:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I see five, (5) threads posted by this dude advertising his book, spamming the forum.
Gospel of Atrocities.

He's not advertising anything. He wrote something and is posting parts here looking for feedback. 

He gave the title of an upcoming book he's having published in one of the threads.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • c172

(04-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote: He's not advertising anything. He wrote something and is posting parts here looking for feedback. 

He gave the title of an upcoming book he's having published in one of the threads.

It can't be bought anywhere. It's about atheist topics and he is bouncing it off us hoping for feedback. He has no idea how message boards work, and he is trying hard to do things correctly. Us old folks can learn new things too. He'll find his way around.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Joods, Cavebear

(04-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Dānu Wrote: He gave the title of an upcoming book he's having published in one of the threads.

It can't be bought anywhere. It's about atheist topics and he is bouncing it off us hoping for feedback. He has no idea how message boards work, and he is trying hard to do things correctly. Us old folks can learn new things too. He'll find his way around.

Benefit of the Doubt says his intentions are harmless he's just not savvy.  He does need to learn that really long complex posts tend to turn off most readers because we don't get exactly what the main point is.  A lot of "brain dump" posts just leave me thinking, okay, great, so?
The following 5 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • isbelldl, Thumpalumpacus, Joods, adey67, Cavebear

Gospel of Atrocities.

Hey Buck welcome back!  I miss no one calling me Jerrold. Smile
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bucky Ball, isbelldl

I'm getting my opinions shoved up my ass over at the Trump Chronicles, don't miss out!
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote:
Gospel of Atrocities.

I don't buy that crap for one second.
The very least that could have been done, is consolidate them, like is done with almost everyone else.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • c172

(04-03-2023, 09:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote: He's not advertising anything. He wrote something and is posting parts here looking for feedback. 

I don't buy that crap for one second.
The very least that could have been done, is consolidate them, like is done with almost everyone else.

They are too long for that, Jerry is right. Just let him learn in peace. Read his intro post.

I've been simply ignoring his posts. I'm 75 now and, after three decades of studying various religions, I'm pretty burnt out on the comparative religions study thing.  walking-stick
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom, c172, Unsapien, skyking, Cavebear

(04-04-2023, 11:32 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I've been simply ignoring his posts. I'm 75 now and, after three decades of studying various religions, I'm pretty burnt out on the comparative religions study thing.  walking-stick

His article on Columbus atrocities was actually rather interesting. I haven't read any of the others. He needs a new approach. Forums and long articles don't mix.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking

(04-04-2023, 11:54 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 11:32 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I've been simply ignoring his posts. I'm 75 now and, after three decades of studying various religions, I'm pretty burnt out on the comparative religions study thing.  walking-stick

His article on Columbus atrocities was actually rather interesting.  I haven't read any of the others.  He needs a new approach.  Forums and long articles don't mix.

I don't think it's necessarily the length that's the issue. It's a combination of factors.

First, none of the threads have started with anything that makes me want to read further. He just goes straight into citations on a topic with little introduction. It doesn't help that each paragraph is a separate, often long, run-on sentence. Long run-on sentences are admittedly something I also struggle to avoid in writing, but I also don't fancy myself a writer. I think restructuring posts with a bit more of an introduction of what's being discussed and why we should care would help draw us in & keep us going. Ideas need to be broken down into cleaner sentences. Past a certain point, I lose track of what a sentence is trying to say. Let's chat for example starts with an 84 word sentence. That should have been split into 5 or 6 sentences in the same paragraph. https://help.siteimprove.com/support/sol...r-20-words-

Second, there are too many disconnected threads for what I assume are largely related discussions. Admittedly, I haven't read most of them as I just don't find myself interested after the first few lines. Maybe they are separate topics deserving of separate threads. Either way, it just feels like a flood of thoughts spread out in too many places with too little structure.

Finally, his difficulties with the post reply function make any follow-up discussion difficult to follow. I offered as much advice as I knew how, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I wondered if it was intentional at one point, but I think it is honest user error. I don't think there's anything more I can offer to help without going all the way to a Zoom chat/screen share session for a walkthrough. I guess if he asked, I probably wouldn't turn him down.

@Rubaiyyat Sorry for talking about you instead of to you. If you do read this, please take it as constructive criticism. I would rather see you stick around & be a positive addition to the forum, but my initial impression did match that of @Bucky Ball. You may have a lot of great ideas to share, but your approach matters. Right now I see multiple new threads a day, none of which make me want to read them.
The following 6 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Dom, c172, epronovost, Joods, Cavebear

He likes his long sermons and he likes to post threads on practically the same issues. That said, some on here are in that camp also and there's a simple remedy, if you don't like what he's saying. It's called, don't go there.

The guy is harmless and I'm pretty sure, he will leave, if he doesn't find his desired audience. He hasn't attacked or insulted anyone, which is more than can be said for some long term users. He just likes his long winded sermons.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • isbelldl

(04-04-2023, 12:43 PM)abaris Wrote: He hasn't attacked or insulted anyone....

This is not true.

Vivekananda

(04-03-2023, 09:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I don't buy that crap for one second.

When a couple of members expressed interest in a book I wrote but never published -- and probably won't -- I started a thread for it simply in order for interested readers to find it easily. Of course it's vastly different thematically, not having anything to do with atheism, but I still think there's value to seeking critique of a single work to a single thread.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bucky Ball, skyking, Cavebear

(04-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Dānu Wrote: He gave the title of an upcoming book he's having published in one of the threads.

He might find his way around. You put too much hope into definite predictions.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(04-08-2023, 04:58 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Dom Wrote: It can't be bought anywhere. It's about atheist topics and he is bouncing it off us hoping for feedback. He has no idea how message boards work, and he is trying hard to do things correctly. Us old folks can learn new things too. He'll find his way around.

He might find his way around. You put too much hope into definite predictions.

He gave up anyway, it looks like. He lives in a senior home and is in a wheelchair. I was hoping he would be able to fit in.

I find it telling that he gave up only after being told he can't hawk his book here.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(04-09-2023, 12:07 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I find it telling that he gave up only after being told he can't hawk his book here.

I think the way he was being attacked in this thread had a lot to do with it. He has no life except for his writing, and it must have hurt that it was rejected by most here. It was too long to read for me, many threads I just look at cursory. So, I don't really know what his thoughts were. I doubt he is trying to hawk his book, he is in his 90s and has no way to spend money. He was looking for some recognition and respect. He got the opposite and left.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • airportkid

Right, but you can't even buy the book, he was really the first person I've seen here to advertise writings, if no one wants to buy the book, he could accept it and still be a part of the forums. But, he has really long posts. I see, why Dom skims the posts.

72 and feel the same way. Basically, all theisms are the same. I try to not get annoyed at the details.

Without agreeing with what I am about to say, I wish all theisms would just decide there is 1 "god" and all the differences are just language differences. At least that would reduce world violence.

I say "without agreeing" because a single unified theism would make things harder for us atheists. But general world peace would have some benefits. And yes, I do see the negatives about that.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(04-09-2023, 01:45 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

72 and feel the same way.  Basically, all theisms are the same.  I try to not get annoyed at the details.  

Without agreeing with what I am about to say, I wish all theisms would just decide there is 1 "god" and all the differences are just language differences.  At least that would reduce world violence.

I say "without agreeing" because a single unified theism would make things harder for us atheists.  But general world peace would have some benefits.  And yes, I do see the negatives about that.

I'm tired of religion debates too. Maybe it has to do with age.  Old Lady I've heard it all before .
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, Fireball

(04-04-2023, 09:27 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 09:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I don't buy that crap for one second.

When a couple of members expressed interest in a book I wrote but never published -- and probably won't -- I started a thread for it simply in order for interested readers to find it easily. Of course it's vastly different thematically, not having anything to do with atheism, but I still think there's value to seeking critique of a single work to a single thread.

Have you considered self-publishing sites? It's not really that expensive if you can combine efforts with several others. I have had short stories about cats in 3 books with other cat-bloggers. I never made any money from them, but it was free to me and Mom was impressed. Hug
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(04-09-2023, 01:55 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 01:45 AM)Cavebear Wrote: 72 and feel the same way.  Basically, all theisms are the same.  I try to not get annoyed at the details.  

Without agreeing with what I am about to say, I wish all theisms would just decide there is 1 "god" and all the differences are just language differences.  At least that would reduce world violence.

I say "without agreeing" because a single unified theism would make things harder for us atheists.  But general world peace would have some benefits.  And yes, I do see the negatives about that.

I'm tired of religion debates too. Maybe it has to do with age.  Old Lady  I've heard it all before .

I love religious debates.  I love telling shitheads that they are shitheads.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear