Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cannabis chat.

Cannabis chat.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-22-2023, 03:18 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 02:43 PM)Aegon Wrote: Yes it is. Granted, it may not have all the characteristics of physical addiction that other drugs have, and it most likely won't get you addicted after just one or two uses like meth or heroin, but psychological dependency can be so strong that it is fair to call it an addiction. And I say this as someone who was once addicted to a "real drug." A solid percentage of people seeing a psychiatrist for addiction now (in the 18-35 demographic) are addicted to cannabis. Weed usage is completely normalized for most young people... which is great in some ways, and terrible in others. 

It's a shame that cannabis got the treatment it did for most of the 20th century, because it has made us all go in the opposite direction. Now we think cannabis is barely a drug, with no side effects or issues. This is not true. It is still a substance that one can become dependent on. In fact, with cannabis use rising among young people and the weed of today being insanely strong, I think it's actually become a serious problem. But because we were all lied to about it and were told it was the Devil's lettuce, we've gone too far the other direction.

It doesn't help that you can simply get a THC vape and hit it all day long - on your lunch break, before you get on the bus, in the middle of a grocery store... it enables you to abuse it, and the new conventional wisdom that there is nothing bad about it and it is not addictive, make abusing almost too easy of an affair.

It's funny that I'm probably the youngest in the thread and also the most cautionary about cannabis, but it's true. I have friends who are addicted to weed right now. They can't seem to make anything of their life because their neural reward pathways are absolutely fucked.

Btw, "weed hangovers" are definitely possible with today's strands.

I have no idea how anyone could function doing all the errands you mention while using today's products. It seems impossible to me.

I used to use weed like that ("Hmm... running errands is boring, let me rip my pen 3 times before I go into this Target") so I can tell you that it is possible, but you are certainly not high functioning lol. You function well enough though. Some eye drops and a can of Red Bull and you can go about your day blazed pretty easily. I never drove while stoned though, I just took public transit and Ubers during that time period.

Being stoned at work is becoming super common for 16-21 year-olds who have relatively mundane jobs (i.e. stocking shelves). I used to work at a state park and get blazed all day lol (that was about 7 years ago now).

I personally never had a taste for alcohol, and I can't understand how alcoholics function. I get sick after having a single drink, of any kind. Lmao.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 03:27 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 03:18 PM)Dom Wrote: I have no idea how anyone could function doing all the errands you mention while using today's products. It seems impossible to me.

I used to use weed like that ("Hmm... running errands is boring, let me rip my pen 3 times before I go into this Target") so I can tell you that it is possible, but you are certainly not high functioning lol. You function well enough though. Some eye drops and a can of Red Bull and you can go about your day blazed pretty easily. I never drove while stoned though, I just took public transit and Ubers during that time period.

Being stoned at work is becoming super common for 16-21 year-olds who have relatively mundane jobs (i.e. stocking shelves). I used to work at a state park and get blazed all day lol (that was about 7 years ago now).

I personally never had a taste for alcohol, and I can't understand how alcoholics function. I get sick after having a single drink, of any kind. Lmao.

I had a phase where I drank a lot, in my early 20s. I hated the hangovers I'd get every time, so I quit that. I do like a glass of something with dinner these days, but that's it. 

I like me some cannabis sativa (the "active" strains) when I garden, it both calms my arthritis and heightens me appreciation of scents and sights. If I need some for sleep, I use some indica. These are the two main categories, and they have quite different effects.  

When my husband was hospitalized and had multiple operations, he was so nauseous, he would retch when someone carried food in the hallway past his door. He had not eaten in 10 weeks and all the king's doctors and drugs could not make the nausea go away. I took him home and got some sublingual indica. He ate and drank and got some meat back on his skeleton. It saved his life then. (Eventually the cancer spread, but for some time he was fully recovered and enjoying life). 

Used right, (and what is right will vary from person to person) this is a wonderful herb. I have high hopes for research to bring us more facts. 

Oregon is legalizing Psilocybin for treating addictions - research indicates that in only one 8 hour supervised/guided session it can cure alcoholics and nicotine addicts, cure for good.

A lot of good drugs have been removed from research by stupid "war on drugs" legislation. I am glad to see this is changing now.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aegon, adey67, Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 03:49 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 03:27 PM)Aegon Wrote: I used to use weed like that ("Hmm... running errands is boring, let me rip my pen 3 times before I go into this Target") so I can tell you that it is possible, but you are certainly not high functioning lol. You function well enough though. Some eye drops and a can of Red Bull and you can go about your day blazed pretty easily. I never drove while stoned though, I just took public transit and Ubers during that time period.

I had a phase where I drank a lot, in my early 20s. I hated the hangovers I'd get every time, so I quit that. I do like a glass of something with dinner these days, but that's it. 

I like me some cannabis sativa (the "active" strains) when I garden, it both calms my arthritis and heightens me appreciation of scents and sights. If I need some for sleep, I use some indica. These are the two main categories, and they have quite different effects.  

When my husband was hospitalized and had multiple operations, he was so nauseous, he would retch when someone carried food in the hallway past his door. He had not eaten in 10 weeks and all the king's doctors and drugs could not make the nausea go away. I took him home and got some sublingual indica. He ate and drank and got some meat back on his skeleton. It saved his life then. (Eventually the cancer spread, but for some time he was fully recovered and enjoying life). 

Used right, (and what is right will vary from person to person) this is a wonderful herb. I have high hopes for research to bring us more facts. 

Oregon is legalizing Psilocybin for treating addictions - research indicates that in only one 8 hour supervised/guided session it can cure alcoholics and nicotine addicts, cure for good.

A lot of good drugs have been removed from research by stupid "war on drugs" legislation. I am glad to see this is changing now.

You're lucky if you can get both indica and sativa strains individually, according to Strain hunters most strains are a combination of both and a pure strain of either is unusual to find.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 07:10 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 03:49 PM)Dom Wrote: I had a phase where I drank a lot, in my early 20s. I hated the hangovers I'd get every time, so I quit that. I do like a glass of something with dinner these days, but that's it. 

You're lucky if you can get both indica and sativa strains individually, according to Strain hunters most strains are a combination of both and a pure strain of either is unusual to find.

Another problem is, if you live in a black market or "grey market" state, the strain information is likely inaccurate.

When I say black market I'm sure it's obvious that I mean states where it is not legal, period.

I live in Washington DC now and we have what you call a "gray market" - which means that it is legal to possess but the actual laws around selling are... muddy. In fact, the city of the District of Columbia is forbidden under federal law to legalize the sale of cannabis (as to why, well, that's an entirely different discussion that delves into constitutional law). So we have this strange system where it is technically legal to gift weed. Example: I walk into a shop and say what I'm looking for, but I technically purchase a sticker for $60 that comes with a "free gift" of whatever THC product(s) I want. And you have to stick to the script or they could get shut down. Actually it is so annoying, legally, to run a storefront that most vendors in DC are mobile and delivery-only. Which I'm not complaining about, it's quite nice to meet up with a plug like the good ol' days.

At the risk of saying something obvious, the problem with black or grey markets is the lack of regulation. The weed may not at all be the strain you've been told, and THC vapes are straight-up dangerous and you could lose your lung inhaling fake cartridges. 

Apparently the District recently went so far as to allow residents to self-certify that they need medical marijuana, lmao. So that's good, and it allows residents to access regulated, clear market weed. I haven't tried it yet though because I have an established relationship with this other vendor.

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Cavebear, adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 08:14 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 07:10 PM)adey67 Wrote: You're lucky if you can get both indica and sativa strains individually, according to Strain hunters most strains are a combination of both and a pure strain of either is unusual to find.

Another problem is, if you live in a black market or "grey market" state, the strain information is likely inaccurate.

When I say black market I'm sure it's obvious that I mean states where it is not legal, period.

I live in Washington DC now and we have what you call a "gray market" - which means that it is legal to possess but the actual laws around selling are... muddy. In fact, the city of the District of Columbia is forbidden under federal law to legalize the sale of cannabis (as to why, well, that's an entirely different discussion that delves into constitutional law). So we have this strange system where it is technically legal to gift weed. Example: I walk into a shop and say what I'm looking for, but I technically purchase a sticker for $60 that comes with a "free gift" of whatever THC product(s) I want. And you have to stick to the script or they could get shut down. Actually it is so annoying, legally, to run a storefront that most vendors in DC are mobile and delivery-only. Which I'm not complaining about, it's quite nice to meet up with a plug like the good ol' days.

At the risk of saying something obvious, the problem with black or grey markets is the lack of regulation. The weed may not at all be the strain you've been told, and THC vapes are straight-up dangerous and you could lose your lung inhaling fake cartridges. 

Apparently the District recently went so far as to allow residents to self-certify that they need medical marijuana, lmao. So that's good, and it allows residents to access regulated, clear market weed. I haven't tried it yet though because I have an established relationship with this other vendor.

Oregon had a grey market for some time before legalizing it. You made a donation to support something ( I forgot what, some research or other) and got a "gift" in return. My doc was always in support of weed and started prescribing it as soon as medical became legal. Now it's all completely legal, but commercial growers need permits and people who grow it for their own use have to shield it from view. Lots of tall fences around these days. Smile .
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 07:10 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 03:49 PM)Dom Wrote: I had a phase where I drank a lot, in my early 20s. I hated the hangovers I'd get every time, so I quit that. I do like a glass of something with dinner these days, but that's it. 

Here in Colorado we have a variety of Indica, Sativa, and hybrid strains. It's harder to choose which Indica (or Sativa, or hybrid) than it is to choose between Indica, Sativa, or hybrid. That's probably down to it being legal here, but not in your area.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-23-2023, 08:14 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 07:10 PM)adey67 Wrote: You're lucky if you can get both indica and sativa strains individually, according to Strain hunters most strains are a combination of both and a pure strain of either is unusual to find.

I live near Washington DC and know a little about the sales there. Never bought any there (transporting across State lines could be dangerous). I haven't used any form of MJ for nearly 60 years. I sure would like to though. Bad knees, separated clavicle, muscle cramps... I could probably get a medical permission, but I'm afraid of the modern type.

What I want is a Federally-regulated commercial and legal source. This State-by-State legalization of uncertain safety has really got to end.

It wasn't in any way addictive to me in college. When I got some, it was nice. But sort of in the way a good steak or a glass of wine is nice. It never had any after-affect the next day. A couple years after college, I just stopped having easy access to it and stopped thinking about it.

I would like to try some safe weed again though.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • adey67, Dom

Cannabis chat.
The only way to really know that right now is to grow it yourself. Otherwise you're running the risk of smoking raid (or worse) - even if you get your products at a legal dispensary. Some states are trying to tackle this, but the cost is immense - and we couldn't rationally expect it to do any better than the much more well established agricultural and processing controls in place for any other crop.

Absolute best case scenario, for the non hobby grow smoker, is that you're getting something that some portion of may have been sampled for, for some high risk issues. The wife and I certainly don't trust the dealers out here in rural kentucky, who don't have any of those controls in place, and who have a strong financial incentive to make post process additions to their product.

OBVS.... the fact that you even think about safe weed is a product of that, and of the usual issues in prohibition economies. All that said, weed is clearly safer than alot of the shit that doctors have been legally prescribing all over the country for years. It's probably not even a stretch to say that weed, as troublesome as it can be, is safer than our municipal water supply or simply eating fish. This is the world we're handing our kids, and everytime we think about that my so and I like to sit down and have a good long toke to temper that anxiety.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-24-2023, 09:21 AM)Rhythmcs Wrote: The only way to really know that right now is to grow it yourself.  Otherwise you're running the risk of smoking raid (or worse) - even if you get your products at a legal dispensary.  Some states are trying to tackle this, but the cost is immense - and we couldn't rationally expect it to do any better than the much more well established agricultural and processing controls in place for any other crop.

Absolute best case scenario, for the non hobby grow smoker, is that you're getting something that some portion of may have been sampled for, for some high risk issues.  The wife and I certainly don't trust the dealers out here in rural kentucky, who don't have any of those controls in place, and who have a strong financial incentive to make post process additions to their product.

OBVS.... the fact that you even think about safe weed is a product of that, and of the usual issues in prohibition economies.  All that said, weed is clearly safer than alot of the shit that doctors have been legally prescribing all over the country for years.  It's probably not even a stretch to say that weed, as troublesome as it can be, is safer than our municipal water supply or simply eating fish.  This is the world we're handing our kids, and everytime we think about that my so and I like to sit down and have a good long toke to temper that anxiety.

There are a lot of local, small growers here, legally, and I befriended one and buy directly. I buy the discarded pieces that they cut off the buds to make the buds look perfectly shaped. Much cheaper, and I know these guys grow everything organic on their farm, they grow their own veggies too etc. I got lucky that way.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • adey67, skyking

Cannabis chat.
(03-24-2023, 01:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 09:21 AM)Rhythmcs Wrote: The only way to really know that right now is to grow it yourself.  Otherwise you're running the risk of smoking raid (or worse) - even if you get your products at a legal dispensary.  Some states are trying to tackle this, but the cost is immense - and we couldn't rationally expect it to do any better than the much more well established agricultural and processing controls in place for any other crop.

Absolute best case scenario, for the non hobby grow smoker, is that you're getting something that some portion of may have been sampled for, for some high risk issues.  The wife and I certainly don't trust the dealers out here in rural kentucky, who don't have any of those controls in place, and who have a strong financial incentive to make post process additions to their product.

OBVS.... the fact that you even think about safe weed is a product of that, and of the usual issues in prohibition economies.  All that said, weed is clearly safer than alot of the shit that doctors have been legally prescribing all over the country for years.  It's probably not even a stretch to say that weed, as troublesome as it can be, is safer than our municipal water supply or simply eating fish.  This is the world we're handing our kids, and everytime we think about that my so and I like to sit down and have a good long toke to temper that anxiety.

There are a lot of local, small growers here, legally, and I befriended one and buy directly. I buy the discarded pieces that they cut off the buds to make the buds look perfectly shaped. Much cheaper, and I know these guys grow everything organic on their farm, they grow their own veggies too etc. I got lucky that way.

Please don't answer if you don't want to but may I ask roughly how much you spend  a month on weed? I spend roughly £60.
(Same question to everyone else too)

Cannabis chat.
About 10 to 30c per gram, but that's without distribution or advertising (or calculating labor...). Honestly, it's probably the only thing I've never sat down and worked out, aside from input. It wouldn't surprise me to find that after time spent, amortization, and risk, I was losing money (compared to someone somewhere). Probably never will, lost my partner to the dispensary market.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-24-2023, 07:49 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 01:30 PM)Dom Wrote: There are a lot of local, small growers here, legally, and I befriended one and buy directly. I buy the discarded pieces that they cut off the buds to make the buds look perfectly shaped. Much cheaper, and I know these guys grow everything organic on their farm, they grow their own veggies too etc. I got lucky that way.

Please don't answer if you don't want to but may I ask roughly how much you spend  a month on weed? I spend roughly £60.
(Same question to everyone else too)

I buy once a year, after harvest, probably ends up being 4 or 5 $ a month? Not much. In a dispensary it would cost considerably more. Very considerably.
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
My wife spends about $1.50 each day for her CBD/THC capsules. I pick it up on a 30% off sale day.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
Just taken delivery of some more of Wandsworth's finest, stinks like hell but slightly different so I reckon it's a different strain but it's spectacularly sticky and smothered with crystals so it should be pretty good.
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

Cannabis chat.
Turned out to be a good batch, the perfect combination of relaxation and sleep inducement. How often do you folks partake? I ask because I've had to cut down, I noticed that while weed is not physically addictive and has huge benefit it is (for me at least) psychologically habit forming so I'm doing it every other day and the goal is to reduce it to once every three days or so. I think this is a sensible precaution.
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • skyking

Cannabis chat.
During the day - very irregularly. More often when the weather is good - I like a light Sativa high when I enjoy the outdoors, helps my arthritis and increases enjoyment. As nightcap - very often, unless I am already tired, I use it as a sleep aid.
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-28-2023, 12:05 PM)Dom Wrote: During the day - very irregularly. More often when the weather is good - I like a light Sativa high when I enjoy the outdoors, helps my arthritis and increases enjoyment. As nightcap - very often, unless I am already tired, I use it as a sleep aid.

So you smoke it most days?

Cannabis chat.
(03-28-2023, 12:39 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 12:05 PM)Dom Wrote: During the day - very irregularly. More often when the weather is good - I like a light Sativa high when I enjoy the outdoors, helps my arthritis and increases enjoyment. As nightcap - very often, unless I am already tired, I use it as a sleep aid.

So you smoke it most days?

More often than not at bedtime, yes. Unless I am already tired enough to fall asleep.  I can't give you a definite answer because I use it irregularly, it's not something I schedule. It varies. Sometimes I have phases where it's difficult to fall asleep, then I use it. Other time there are phases where I sleep without issues, and I don't need it.

Evenings are decided by need, afternoons by want. Want is decided by weather. It's all random.

I'm retired. My life is full of randomness.
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-28-2023, 11:34 AM)adey67 Wrote: snip... How often do you folks partake? ...snip

After the initial "get high every time I can" phase of learning that I'm no longer subject to random testing, I don't typically get get high more than a couple time a month, and very occasionally, I'll use it as a sleep aid.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
I also prefer it in the afternoon or early evening. I remember in the days when I used to smoke every night before bed I'd wake up exhausted with no energy, and I didn't understand why. Now I actually try not to smoke before bed. My sleep quality overall is much worse when I go to bed stoned, it suppresses my REM sleep and I wake up feeling much more tired than I would've otherwise. I much prefer weed while the sun is still up, or late at night with friends only if I don't need to get up early the next day.

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
(03-28-2023, 02:59 PM)Aegon Wrote: I also prefer it in the afternoon or early evening. I remember in the days when I used to smoke every night before bed I'd wake up exhausted with no energy, and I didn't understand why. Now I actually try not to smoke before bed. My sleep quality overall is much worse when I go to bed stoned, it suppresses my REM sleep and I wake up feeling much more tired than I would've otherwise. I much prefer weed while the sun is still up, or late at night with friends only if I don't need to get up early the next day.

That's really interesting because my experience is the exact opposite to yours, I wake up refreshed and relaxed that's why I was getting psychologically dependant on it. When you've suffered insomnia since aged 6 and you find something that works it's tempting to hit it hard. Anyway, I discovered this in time thankfully and I'm taking steps to control it.

Cannabis chat.
(03-28-2023, 03:08 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 02:59 PM)Aegon Wrote: I also prefer it in the afternoon or early evening. I remember in the days when I used to smoke every night before bed I'd wake up exhausted with no energy, and I didn't understand why. Now I actually try not to smoke before bed. My sleep quality overall is much worse when I go to bed stoned, it suppresses my REM sleep and I wake up feeling much more tired than I would've otherwise. I much prefer weed while the sun is still up, or late at night with friends only if I don't need to get up early the next day.

That's really interesting because my experience is the exact opposite to yours, I wake up refreshed and relaxed that's why I was getting psychologically dependant on it. When you've suffered insomnia since aged 6 and you find something that works it's tempting to hit it hard. Anyway, I discovered this in time thankfully and I'm taking steps to control it.

Me too, I sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed and ready to go.
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
wife's usage is nightly or else. without it she can wake up at about 3 am in pain. CBD is a wonder drug.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • adey67

Cannabis chat.
Wonder what the several atmospheric rivers hitting California has done to cannabis futures?

Flooding.

Power outages.