Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Cold Hard Look at Prayer

(04-09-2023, 03:40 PM)1Sam15 Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:12 PM)bluewater Wrote: I have read 1Sam 15.

Could you be specific, as I don't want to assume why you chose the name '1Sam 15.' If you don't want to answer I can respect that.

Be specific?

You’re okay with what you say is a loving god, for that god to order its creations to kill its other creations and specifically call out killing the children and babies?

For what their ancestors of Amalekites did in the past? That’s a revenge killing.

That’s the god you get on your knees for with your hand around your mouth?

Be honest, you believe out of fear?

I’ll bet if you can rationalize this then slavery/owning another human is okay also?

I'm neither okay nor not okay with what God commanded concerning Amalek. Who am I to judge God?

It was Amalek who "set himself against" Israel "on the way while he was coming up from Egypt" (1Sam 15:2). Amalek's descendants continued to harass Israel, to war against Israel, even up to the time of Samuel and Saul. As for the Lord commanding that infants and children be killed, that is not to say that He condemned the children and infants to eternal judgement.

I don't believe God out of terror type fear but I am learning a reverence type fear for God.

(04-09-2023, 03:47 PM)bluewater Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 10:24 AM)1Sam15 Wrote: It knew before I was conceived that it wouldn’t give me any evidence that it exists, right?

God has given you plenty of evidence that He exists, but you reject the evidence. God gave you a will when He created you and it seems to me that you employ that will to reject Him.

Why was my free will violated by me not having the ability to choose where, when, or to whom I was born to?

I didn’t have a free will choice to not have my penis mutilated at birth as a bloody sacrifice to your
god.

So when exactly does god give this gift of free will?

(04-09-2023, 04:37 PM)bluewater Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:40 PM)1Sam15 Wrote: Be specific?

You’re okay with what you say is a loving god, for that god to order its creations to kill its other creations and specifically call out killing the children and babies?

For what their ancestors of Amalekites did in the past? That’s a revenge killing.

That’s the god you get on your knees for with your hand around your mouth?

Be honest, you believe out of fear?

I’ll bet if you can rationalize this then slavery/owning another human is okay also?

I'm neither okay nor not okay with what God commanded concerning Amalek. Who am I to judge God?

It was Amalek who "set himself against" Israel "on the way while he was coming up from Egypt" (1Sam 15:2). Amalek's descendants continued to harass Israel, to war against Israel, even up to the time of Samuel and Saul. As for the Lord commanding that infants and children be killed, that is not to say that He condemned the children and infants to eternal judgement.

I don't believe God out of terror type fear but I am learning a reverence type fear for God.

Bolded.

What verse is that?

The Amalekites were a group of people. You know, one of gods creations. Not one person.

Quote:Who am I to judge God?

You exist and could think if you wanted to.  Your god is just a figment of some primitive asshole's imagination.

But you are the type who will justify any atrocity so it is pointless talking to you.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(04-09-2023, 03:47 PM)bluewater Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 10:24 AM)1Sam15 Wrote: It knew before I was conceived that it wouldn’t give me any evidence that it exists, right?

God has given you plenty of evidence that He exists, but you reject the evidence. God gave you a will when He created you and it seems to me that you employ that will to reject Him.

So...you think you know more that St. Paul ??
Paul told you faith is a gift.
Your god gives faith to only some random few.
It just happens to be given to those in certain cultures ... LOL

You need to be banned for preaching here.
Test

(04-09-2023, 01:38 PM)bluewater Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 10:26 AM)1Sam15 Wrote: So do you believe that god was ever alone with nothing?

I believe that God exists, 

That's nice.

(04-09-2023, 01:38 PM)bluewater Wrote: that He existed before He created time.

Wait, what?!? You believe that your gawd "created" time, even existing before time? How in the ever loving fuck does that work? How can you have "before" the thing that literally gives "before" (and "after) it's frame of reference? Furthermore, how can you have an action, creating time, when the action of creation fucking requires the passing of time?

(04-09-2023, 01:38 PM)bluewater Wrote: Yes, it is hard to conceive and I don't understand it all.
(my bold)

You've been making it quite clear just how little you understand.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 4 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Minimalist, 1Sam15, Bucky Ball, adey67

(04-09-2023, 01:38 PM)bluewater Wrote: Yes, it is hard to conceive and I don't understand it all.

Then refrain from discussing it.  Especially refrain from making declarative assertions about something you have no understanding of.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • 1Sam15

(04-09-2023, 10:11 AM)1Sam15 Wrote: So you still haven’t read 1 Samuel 15?

Of course I did.  I read some summaries and brief discussion of it shortly after I 1st saw your handle.  The format was obviously biblical shorthand, so I was curious.

Saw Samuel, Saul, Lord sent me to appoint you king.  Attack the Amalekites and totally destroy them and do not spare men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys (though they did spare the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs (my, how very practical of them).

I got a laugh out of "two hundred thousand foot soldiers and ten thousand from Judah.  I doubt there were that many residents in all of Israel. Hmm  There was more nonsense after that which I won't bother to relate.  It was as silly as the rest of the bible with all its exaggerations and non-factual events.

I am curious about one thing...  You asked in some other post why I thought you were a theist.  I think I mentioned your handle, but of course that really isn't proof.  Your posts seem to be from someone who is trying to be careful to not be obvious about it.  Yet, it seems to me you clearly are.  

So, are you a theist or not?   Mostly, it would help understand your posts better...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • adey67

Quote:Saw Samuel, Saul, Lord sent me to appoint you king.

You know, there was always one thing about this  Samuel fuckhead that always made me smile.

Quote:1 Samuel 15:11 King James Version (KJV)

It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.

[url=https://www.bible.com/bible/1/1SA.15.11.KJV][/url]

Why is this god fucker always surprised when his plans don't work out?  You'd think a "god" could do better, wouldn't you?  So much for this omniscient horseshit.  God is a fucking loser but they still worship him/her/it.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

(04-11-2023, 03:28 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Saw Samuel, Saul, Lord sent me to appoint you king.

You know, there was always one thing about this  Samuel fuckhead that always made me smile.

Quote:1 Samuel 15:11 King James Version (KJV)

It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.

[url=https://www.bible.com/bible/1/1SA.15.11.KJV][/url]

Why is this god fucker always surprised when his plans don't work out?  You'd think a "god" could do better, wouldn't you?  So much for this omniscient horseshit.  God is a fucking loser but they still worship him/her/it.

Aside from the basic silliness of the idea of a deity to begin with (the universe would surely be very different with a functional deity), I am constantly amazed that any thinking human could believe in such an idiot who could not anticipate human events and comprehend that they did not understand "It". "Comprehension" is the hallmark of a deity, right?

Not to get too far into details of deityship, but wouldn't you thing that if god existed, it could have done "something" about it's displeasure with Saul? Lightening bolt, meteorite, disease, etc. I am (in a speculative way regarding assumed power) always amazed that theists accept their god's inability to actually influence/control we humans.

If I was god, it would seem simple. Flaming words across the sky (understood in all languages of course) saying "I am GOD. Believe and follow me or suffer eternal agony in Hell (because I am merciful and kind). I understand your every thought, except mostly when I don't. I could make your sun go nova tomorrow (well, not today, I'm busy)".

ROFL2
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Minimalist, adey67

Remember, this is the guy with SO little education and common sense that he actually said Jesus was Yahweh.
Other than the normal general knowledge that a 3rd Grade Sunday School kid would have, ... then there's the NT thingy at Jesus' baptism ... "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased". Something is amiss here. The very very basics escape him, yet he feels the need to preach here. Clearly he's never actually read the Bible. He's cherry-picking this shit from some web-site.

The OT is not historical IN ANY WAY. The very best of Israeli archaeologists have debunked its historicity.

It wasn't the god that was pissed at Saul. It was the priests. Of course they wrote in the text it was god, but we know what's going on here.
Almost all of the OT is about fighting factions of priests. Saul may or may not have been historical, but the "Sea Peoples" were invading the Levant and the tribes needed a unified military command to counter external threats. First of all, it (Israel) was the Tribal Confederation which decided to have a king.
They were not stupid. Just as almost all other tribal (loose, non-central) confederations learned, (a lot of them the hard way), a central unifying organized seat of power makes a political entity more successful and secure militarily. One commander. So the tribes, against the advice of the more conservative prophets, decided to anoint a king. The story was "cast" in religious terms in what became the Bible, but it was an entirely human, practical, political / military decision. The gods had nothing to do with it.

The priests made-up/wrote the Bible. The reason why they wrote that their god was pissed at Saul, was because Saul offered a sacrifice himself. What's wrong with that ? ..... he stepped on the toes of the PRIESTS, who job it was to do the sacrifices, and they had to slap Saul's hand to keep him in line. Saul OVERSTEPPED (as a new king) his function as a non-priest. The priests are telling the story. They put in their story that the god was pissed at Saul. No. It was the priests that were pissed as they got a percentage of the "take", and if they don't do the sacrifice, their income is threatened. These Bible thumpers think we're really really stupid.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Gwaithmir