Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I DON'T choose biblical scripture over others...

(01-30-2023, 07:12 PM)Camaro Dude Wrote: that Hindu elephant god in a head shop on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley.

Holy cow, now that's a trip down memory lane!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(01-30-2023, 07:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 07:12 PM)Camaro Dude Wrote: that Hindu elephant god in a head shop on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley.

I find Hindu, Buddhist, and Shinto artwork quite incredible.

Aractus,

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER WITH YOUR FOLLOWING QUOTE:   "Jesus of Nazareth was a real guy alright, but he was weird even to his contemporaries. Leaving that aside though his beliefs about his god do not at all line up with what Christians today believe about the supposedly same deity."

JUDEO-Christian Bible correction alert!  Jesus cannot in any way have beliefs about "His God" because of the simple biblical axiom that Jesus was the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate of the Old Testament!

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5)  

Therefore, if there is only one god that is Jesus, then the primitive thinking pseudo-christian faction have to accept that Jesus was the brutal and bloody serial killer of the Old Testament!  Whoops, that definitely goes against their perceived godly doctrine!  

(02-15-2023, 07:08 PM)Iconoclast Wrote: .
Aractus,

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER WITH YOUR FOLLOWING QUOTE:   "Jesus of Nazareth was a real guy alright, but he was weird even to his contemporaries. Leaving that aside though his beliefs about his god do not at all line up with what Christians today believe about the supposedly same deity."

JUDEO-Christian Bible correction alert!  Jesus cannot in any way have beliefs about "His God" because of the simple biblical axiom that Jesus was the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate of the Old Testament!

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5)  

Therefore, if there is only one god that is Jesus, then the primitive thinking pseudo-christian faction have to accept that Jesus was the brutal and bloody serial killer of the Old Testament!  Whoops, that definitely goes against their perceived godly doctrine!  

LOL
If there was an actual Jesus (which you have no proof of), we don't *have to* do anything, because you say so.
Somehow you seem to think you are in charge of what people *have* to believe. LMAO.

In fact you're digging your own grave here. If people *have to* buy your bullshit because your are a Fundy literalist, then so do you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16" See how that works sweetie. If you get to do it, then so does everyone else, with the same legitimacy.

Have you ever considered *anger management* or medication perhaps.
You really are nuts. Hw long have you had this Psych history ?
Are you an inpatient ? How long have you thought you are in charge of what people have to believe ?
LOLOLOLOL

"the primitive thinking pseudo-christian faction have to accept that Jesus was the brutal and bloody serial killer of the Old Testament!"
Now THAT is a non-sequitur. Thanks for proving yet again, you are a Biblical literalist.

Guess what sweetie ?
You're not in charge of telling anyone what they *have* to believe,
I think there are pills for this, and you certainly should not be here.
Ban this troll.
Test

(02-15-2023, 07:08 PM)Iconoclast Wrote: Jesus cannot in any way have beliefs about "His God" because of the simple biblical axiom that Jesus was the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate of the Old Testament!

No, he wasn't god anymore than the crazy street preacher shrieking on the corner is. In fact Jesus most likely never claimed to be god, the son of god, or any possible incarnation of god because that sort of thing was a really good way to get a quick stoning back in the bad old days in Israel. All that yammer was RetConned in after his death when they wrote the FanFic.

Odd that you think that either Jesus or god is anything but mythology.

Since biblical "scripture" is being discussed, this appeared in The NY Times, today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/15/arts/...hebys.html

Quote:Oldest Nearly Complete Hebrew Bible Heads to Auction

The Codex Sassoon, believed to date from the late ninth or early 10th century, is set to be sold by Sotheby’s for an estimated $30 million to $50 million.

The most shocking thing in the story is that 200 animals had to die in order to give these primitive shits something on which to write this silliness.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(01-30-2023, 07:57 PM)Dom Wrote:

Nah, the Holy cow's in the Hindu pawn shop on 5th and Vine.

(02-16-2023, 04:42 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Since biblical "scripture" is being discussed, this appeared in The NY Times, today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/15/arts/...hebys.html

Quote:Oldest Nearly Complete Hebrew Bible Heads to Auction

The Codex Sassoon, believed to date from the late ninth or early 10th century, is set to be sold by Sotheby’s for an estimated $30 million to $50 million.

The most shocking thing in the story is that 200 animals had to die in order to give these primitive shits something on which to write this silliness.

The link demands a subscription... Just mentioning it.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

There is supposed to be a way to register and get 10 free articles per month.

(02-16-2023, 09:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote: There is supposed to be a way to register and get 10 free articles per month.

Feel free to describe the process and show it is actually "free" (like no extended paid subscription after a few months). Bet ya can't. Smile

(02-16-2023, 10:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 09:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote: There is supposed to be a way to register and get 10 free articles per month.

Feel free to describe the process and show it is actually "free" (like no extended paid subscription after a few months).  Bet ya can't.     Smile

I suppose it's out of the question you could open the thing and find out?

If Brave Browser has a version for Mac, you can just use that to read NYT free. It doesn't store the cookies.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(02-16-2023, 10:21 PM)Inkubus Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 10:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Feel free to describe the process and show it is actually "free" (like no extended paid subscription after a few months).  Bet ya can't.     Smile

I suppose it's out of the question you could open the thing and find out?

Nah, I know the scam too well.  You only find out about the continuing subscription (at cost) after you give them a lot of personal info.

TANSTAAFL!

But you didn't answer my question, did you?

(02-16-2023, 10:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Feel free to describe the process and show it is actually "free" (like no extended paid subscription after a few months).  Bet ya can't.     Smile

I used it for years before eventually deciding to just sign up.  The local paper out here was just getting worse and worse.

But still, you can use the CNN version...

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/oldest...index.html

which is not the full article but pretty close.

I wonder if it discusses how to construct those Jewish space lasers?

(02-16-2023, 10:34 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Feel free to describe the process and show it is actually "free" (like no extended paid subscription after a few months). Bet ya can't.

(02-16-2023, 10:21 PM)Inkubus Wrote: I suppose it's out of the question you could open the thing and find out?

Nah, I know the scam too well.  You only find out about the continuing subscription (at cost) after you give them a lot of personal info.

TANSTAAFL!

But you didn't answer my question, did you?
[/quote]

Do this:

1) Go to your browser setting folder.

2) Select Privacy and Security.

3) Select 'nytimes.com' and clear all cache/cookies/history.

4) Use a throwaway and login to 'nytimes.com'.

You're welcome.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Dom

(02-16-2023, 03:20 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 07:08 PM)Iconoclast Wrote: Jesus cannot in any way have beliefs about "His God" because of the simple biblical axiom that Jesus was the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate of the Old Testament!

No, he wasn't god anymore than the crazy street preacher shrieking on the corner is. In fact Jesus most likely never claimed to be god, the son of god, or any possible incarnation of god because that sort of thing was a really good way to get a quick stoning back in the bad old days in Israel. All that yammer was RetConned in after his death when they wrote the FanFic.

Odd that you think that either Jesus or god is anything but mythology.

She wants to have her cake and eat it too.
She actually thinks the Bible stories are true.
That way she can be angry at them. lol
LMAO. She's seriously disconnected from reality.

Paleophyte is totally correct.
There is no "Biblical axiom" as claimed, and saying that is an astounding bit of ignorance, and there certainly is not one, ... that Jesus is Yahweh.
Yahweh (the Hebrew god) ... um, guess what ? the Jews don't believe in Jesus. There is no scholar she can cite who says that.
Oh oh. This will likely prompt 17 more posts in which she will "feature" me.

Even 5 seconds of knowledgeable thought debunks that rubbish. Jesus is said to have said that he came to change "not one jot or tittle until all things
are accomplished. Equating a human with Yahweh is unthinkable, AND we know that the Christians were still Jews until t least the end of the 1st Century, because the High Priest made the rabbis read the "Expulsion Curses" in the synagogues, at the end of the services, as the members of the Way Sect, (but STILL Jews), the Christians were thought to be troublesome. Jesus is considered the "Only begotten SON of God" and that Father God in the Bible is Yahweh. They remained Jews for a very long time. In his Christmas sermon in the year 400, the Archbishop if Constantinople told his congregation to stop going to the synagogue. They have a copy of that sermon.

No one says Yahweh is Jesus, or the reverse. Claiming that anyone or anything had some sort of equivalence to Yahweh,
as Paleo said, would get you stoned to death. In fact the gospels recount an incident where it (supposedly) just about happened. John 8:59.
It was probably added much later when they were attempting to justify the Trinity. But even then, Yahweh was always God the Father, NEVER God the Son. "The Son is the perfect image and the exact representation of the Father, who comes in the Father's Name (Yahweh)."

But don't take my word for it.
Dr. Bart Ehrman (atheist NT scholar's last book, or so) is entitled "How Jesus became a god, OR the Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee". Ehrman gets a few things wrong, but it's on the right track. It was the Jewish "apocalyptic period". Jewish apocalyptic heroes did not become "divine", (except in the sense that there were any number of "divine beings" in the "heavenly host" such as the "divine being" (IN NO way with an equivalence to Yahweh), which the Witch of Endor describes as such, when she conjures the "shade" of Samuel for Saul, in Kings.  Jewish apocalyptic heroes were "exalted" in the period in Hebrew thought. The 7 sons of Hannah were "exalted" among others ("raised up", metaphorically) for refusing to commit the "abomination of desolation" in the temple.
This "exaltation" of Jesus, as Ehrman says, was a long process which happened over a period of time.
Gods (including) Yahweh don't die. Jesus being Yahweh is preposterous. Yahweh was the Father. Jesus didn't start out as "divine".
Christians invented it, as Ehrman wrote.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Gwaithmir

[quote="Bucky Ball" pid='392512' dateline='1676605103']
[quote="Paleophyte" pid='392395' dateline='1676517631']

Miss Bucky Ball,

Yes, I feel that I need to correct your outright Bible stupidity once again in your sorrowful post #241, sorry. Sad

MISS BUCKY BALL, YOUR QUOTE OF BEING BIBLE IGNORANT AGAIN: " No, he wasn't god anymore than the crazy street preacher shrieking on the corner is. In fact Jesus most likely never claimed to be god, ..."

All that matters, I repeat, all that matters is the fact that the trinitarian pseudo-christians believe that Jesus is God, period!  Then when they do so, is when the atheist, not you because of your bible ignorance, but like me, can lower the boom upon the primitive thinking pseudo-christians using their Bible to slap them silly when Jesus becomes god and is a brutal and bloody serial killer, understood? Probably not. 

To correct your Bible ignorance, Jesus did claim he was god: Jesus answered: "Don"t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, Show us the Father? (John 14:9)

There are many other biblical passages that explicitly state that Jesus is God to the trinitarian pseudo-christians, but hopefully you can decipher the above passages in saying Jesus is god, to correct you again, yes? Maybe?  Do I need to bring further passages proving the aforementioned notion for you?

MISS BUCKY BALL, YOUR QUOTE OF MISREPRENTATION AGAIN, WHY ARE WE NOT SURPRISED?: "She actually thinks the Bible stories are true." 

My MO is that I want the Bible stories and narratives to be true for the pseudo-christians, get it? Huh?  Therefore, when they are true to them is when they turn into pretzels in trying to get out of predicaments as shown by Atheists like me, where their Jesus, as God, is a brutal serial killer as shown ad infinitum throughout the Bible!  Don't worry, I am not going to ask you if you get this notion, therefore, to save you from further embarrassment in front of the membership, okay? You can thank me later.

MISS BUCKY BALL YOUR BIBLE IGNORANCE PREVAILS ONCE AGAIN, WHERE THE PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN DOES THINK THAT JESUS HAS TO BE THE SERIAL KILLER YAHWEH OF THE JEWS, AND THIS FACT IS WHAT COUNTS, GET IT?: "There is no "Biblical axiom" as claimed, and saying that is an astounding bit of ignorance, and there certainly is not one, ... that Jesus is Yahweh. Yahweh (the Hebrew god)

All that matters again, is that trinitarian pseudo-christians have their "Bible axioms," not truthful axioms that Jesus was a myth, but nonetheless, that he represents the only one god, therefore precluding that Jesus is in fact, Yahweh God incarnate of the Old Testament: For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5)  

There are many passages that the pseudo-christians believe showing the fact, or biblical axiom, that Jesus is the Old Testament God Yahweh, therefore a brutal serial killer, period! I will not include them to save you from further embarrassment of your bible stupidity, okay?  You're welcome.  

Something that you cannot understand because of your Bible ineptness, is that I have an argument where I tell the Jews "how does it feel that the pseudo-christians stole your Yahweh god, and made him into Jesus the Christ as their god, where in fact, the Jews don't have a god anymore! Then both myths argue to the point of ad nauseam on this truthfull (mythical) topic, that unfortunately you cannot comprehend because of your outright Bible ignorance because you are not aware of the Bible passages to support this fact. Sorry. 

Remember, do not preclude that I think the Bible passages that I bring forth are true, because to me Jesus is not true as shown within the Bible, nonetheless, but only the fact that they are true to the pseudo-christians, where I take no prisoners in revealing the "other side" of Jesus in being an abhorred and bloody serial killer, understood? I definitely hope so this time at your expense if you don't!

It did not go unnoticed by me that somehow being referred to with female pronouns and is regarded as an insult in some circles.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Alan V, Dom

(02-18-2023, 07:00 PM)Aliza Wrote: It did not go unnoticed by me that somehow being referred to with female pronouns and is regarded as an insult in some circles.

Not my circle.
Well that's certainly interesting. Noticing things that are not there.
Actually ma'am, he did not identify his sex in his profile, or his "pronoun", and I actually thought it was a female poster (who would correct me) if
I was wrong. So now what YOU assumed I was doing is totally wrong. I assumed it was a sock of a poster I remembered from a few years ago.
But it was a guess. Sorry I guessed wrong. I guess it was not all that much an insult if he didn't say anything. I don't actually remember him at all.

What is funny about this is what Angie said to him just before they banned him.
"I will only say this nice, to you once. Use a smaller font.".

Chuckle
Test